The Devil Dancer

By minxyara

REMINDER: PLEASE READ AUTHOR'S NOTE BEFORE YOU START READING My name is Lalisa and I have a confession to mak... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
intermission
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty: Final

Prologue

16.7K 545 141
By minxyara

Bangkok, Thailand

"Stop there, you sneaky little thief!"

My eyes widened as I realized the voice was getting way too closer than I would have preferred.

"Come on, come on." I whispered to myself as I try my hardest to force my legs to run faster.

People were looking at me curiously, probably wondering what I have done to cause the town's officer to chase after me like a mad dog. Although I would admit that he does looks like one right now. Not that I would dare myself to turn around though.

In a different scenario, if I was looking at this scene right now, I would have been thinking about how much of an asshole these people around me were, not even bothering to help the officer.

But right now, for once I was incredibly grateful for the existence of such insensitive people who lacks the sense of justice in this horrible world. Thank God.

So the story went a little bit like this. After spending the whole night weeping over my bad luck and plotting my ex-employer's murder for firing me as to some unknown reason, the reckless me somehow decided that its a really good idea to use all of the money I got left on some alcohol to wash the pain away. Hence the main reason I woke up this morning with a bile in my throat and an empty pocket near an abandoned building.

After puking out all of the contents in my stomach, afterwards I have to suffer an intense pain coming from my tummy followed by the angry roar of its Queen alerting me that's its time for breakfast.

Trust me, I've tried reasoning with the cashier, even offered to work at the bakery if needed so, but somehow she, being the bitch that she is, shouted at me about my filthy appearance and threatened to kick me out.

Having left with no option, I managed to snatch a few plastics of bread before running away like the bakery was on fire and of course, getting chased by the police officer while doing so.

See, my whole life is a bad luck.

Which led us to my little dilemma right now. And you see, I have some problems here;

1. I need to pee.

2. Queen Tummy was basically letting out her wrath right now, considering the rumbling in my stomach that was getting louder by each second.

3. My energy was slowly coming down to zero, that being the main reason my legs' speed were decreasing and the officer's annoying voice sounding closer.

4. I NEED TO PEE.

"Shit." I muttered as I almost tripped. Stupid little bump.

I ignored the cramp that was starting to form in my thighs and looked around frantically, trying to find a silent escape.

Fortunately I didn't have to worry so much since I heard the officer's small yelp followed by a loud thump. Seems like he tripped over something.

Oh God, I'm taking back my words. Little bumps on the road were basically the most wonderful thing in my life from now on. Bless you, creator of road bumps, whoever you are!

Wasting no time, I noticed a lot of people were crowding around the police officer, checking if he was okay. Using that as my opportunity, I managed to successfully slip away into a silent alley beside me.

Fuck, that was close.

I leaned back to the building beside me, letting its wall support my weight as I try to catch my breath back. My legs were practically numb from all of the running I did just now, and I'm pretty sure it would be so damn sore for the next few days. If my mom was here right now, she would have been telling me "I told you so" basically referring to all those times when she forced me to go exercise.

I'm sorry Mother, I should have listened to you.

Except, she's not here. She's currently lying on a bed in one of those cheapest clinic/nursery right now, probably wondering where the heck her daughter was and why she hadn't been visiting for a week already.

And before you judge me, I have my own reasons.

The first reason being that I just lost my job and I don't want her to worry. The second one, well, as it was the end of the month, I would have to pay for her monthly medical fees. But seeing myself right now, I have no choice but to avoid from meeting any of the staffs and buy myself some time to get the money.

Sigh.

Now that I finally finished panting only I'm aware of where I am. The alley was a very secluded area, given its little space and the lack of light, I'm pretty sure hardly anyone noticed its existence. Thank God there's no such things like a garbage dump here or else I don't think I could leave this place alive, seeing as the oxygen that I inhaled were contaminated.

Remembering about the breads, I quickly tore one packet and took a bite. Damn. I moaned in delight as the creamy texture of caramel melted on my taste buds. Now, if all the food I'm gonna be eating were like this, then I wouldn't even mind if I have to run across the Red Sea.

The things I do for food.

I was already on my way to bread number two when I heard a rustling somewhere near my feet.

My body immediately stiffened and I stopped chewing.

Shit.

And then out of nowhere, a hand suddenly clasped around my ankle, making me jump out of shock and curse loudly.

I was about to scream my lungs out when a voice croaked out.

"Help... H-help... Me..."

Bracing myself, I slowly looked down at my ankle and only then I noticed that the hand was covered in dry blood.

I gasped and quickly crouched down to see the voice's owner, who appeared to be a man in his fifties.

His eyes were closed tightly, his lips quivering as he keep pleading for help and his other hand which wasn't around my ankle was holding on to his stomach. His light blue shirt was completely stained with blood and the area around his stomach was completely ripped, revealing a large gash of wound.

Trying not to panic and do anything stupid, I immediately fished for my cheap ass cellphone in my back pocket and dialled 911.

***

"Miss Lalisa?"

Hearing my name being called, I quickly snapped out of my sleepy trance and looked up at the nurse standing in front of me.

"Yes, that's me. How's the old man?'

"Your father's condition is alright. He's lucky the knife didn't reach any vital organs or he would have to undergo surgery. He's awake right now, so you may see him if you wish."

I was about to correct her that he wasn't my father but just left it be as she smiled at me and gestured to the door.

I mouthed a quick thanks to her and bowed down before making my way to the room.

My hand was super clammy as I turned the door knob, and for some unknown reason, I was suddenly nervous.

Was it because I didn't take a bath yet? Or perhaps I'm just being silly since it's the first time I saved someone's life.

Yeah that must be it.

I pushed the door open slowly and immediately spotted the old man perched up on his bed, his back supported by the bed post and he quickly looked up at me from the tablet in his hands.

And then he smiled.

"Hello there."

"Um, hello."

I replied in a small voice, hoping that he wouldn't be able to sense the awkwardness behind it.

He just shook his head in amusement (of what I don't know) and gestured for me to take a sit on the chair beside his bed which I did.

"So your name is Lalisa?"

I nodded slowly which earned another smile from him.

How can he smile like that when his stomach just got stabbed? Beats me.

"My name is Kim Taehwi. I'm from Korea and I actually came here for a business project with a partner who couldn't make it."

I'm actually a little taken aback when he said he's from Korea, considering his fluent Thai but I just looked at him as he proceeded.

"Honestly, I can't even recall anything from last night. The last thing I remembered was the signboard of a food stall nearby before I was stabbed."

"You don't remember anything? Even the culprit's face?"

He nodded with a dejected sigh.

"Unfortunately, no. But seeing that I lost my wallet and it's contents, seems like he got what he wants."

I raised my eyebrows at that. Stabbing someone for money? And an old man at that? People nowadays were too cruel.

"So.... I'm glad you're alright. And I'm sorry I don't know how to contact your family, since your phone has security code and all. If everything's fine, I guess I can leave you here in the care of the hospital? Or unless you want me to wait here until your family member arrive?"

I was rambling by that point and I don't even care, and judging by the man's expression, he doesn't mind either.

"Oh no, you're free to leave anytime you want. But before that... I want to thank you. For saving my life. So I was wondering if...."

I raised my eyebrows as his words trailed off.

"If I can pay you with anything. And by anything, I mean everything. Money, food, clothes, house. Just name it."

"Um, I'm sorry Mister, but I don't think-"

"Look, I've asked my personal assistant to do a background check on you."

My jaw was basically on the floor by then and he immediately lifted a hand up to stop me from saying anything.

"I know what's happening in your life. About how you live in the streets. Or how your mother was in the hospital. And I want to help. Even if you haven't saved me, I would still do the same."

I just sat there quietly and listened to everything he was saying.

"You're a smart girl. I've seen your middle school record and I know that you have a bright future. And before you reject my deal, I just hope that you think it through and set your pride aside, for once. So here's the offer...."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.7K 3K 16
"The beauty of love is that, you can fall into it with the most unexpected person at the most unexpected time." - Ritu Ghatourey Liskook short stor...
125K 4.9K 26
π˜Ύπ™€π™’π™₯π™‘π™šπ™©π™šπ™™ " Legend Says that if you write the name of the person you love on a blue paper crane and carry it with you where ever you go, the...
242K 6K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ΰͺœβ€βž΄ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 π‹πˆπŠπ„ .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...
59.5K 876 44
Kim Lalisa is a girl from Thailand. A girl with a beautiful and the kindest heart. She has an excellent business degree. But at last, sometimes bad...