Glass Sneakers

By crossroad

Every girl has a tiara, her own shining moment, and a beautiful ever after... no matter what. ... More

Glass Sneakers
1st ♕
2nd ♕
3rd ♕
4th ♕
5th ♕
6th ♕
7th ♕
8th ♕
9th ♕
11th ♕
12th ♕
13th ♕
14th ♕
15th ♕
16th ♕
17th ♕
18th ♕
19th ♕
20th ♕
21st ♕
22nd ♕
23rd ♕
24th ♕
25th ♕
Epilogue ♕
About the Story
And The Happily Ever After Goes On...

10th ♕

196K 5.4K 1.8K
By crossroad

10th

"George, are you really not going to get out of your room?" I heard Dad call outside, knocking on my door. "Don't you even get hungry?"

"No! I'm fine. Really. I'm here, so we're okay with the seeing thing, right?" I asked, raising my voice for him to hear beyond the closed door. I pulled out another bar of chocolate and ate it. The chocolate bars were courtesy of the latest talk show host where we'd been interviewed.

"You're impossible," Dad commented.

Another knock.

"I'm normal. I just need some me time," I said, Pete's old laptop. He had heard about what had happened—my dad was back; I went to an impromptu camping with Art, woke up late, and ended up getting scolded this morning; realized that I was up to a royal dinner this evening and had no proper means of communication with my secretary, which he still found amusing; and sincerely wished that I wouldn't mess up everything.

And I connected to our neighbor's wifi.

glasssneakers: dad's really mad. how's the b'day?

arthurlukechat: Good. Better if you are here. But you are coming later, no?

"What me time?" Dad asked, oblivious.

"It's a girl thing, Dad. You can search it up online it if you want," I told him.

glasssneakers: of course. i'll come even if i need to make my dad drink sleeping pills

arthurlukechat: I applaud the effort, George.

glasssneakers: you'll see. three more hours. but i got to go now, bridge is telling me to do the walk. my room is no less than ten steps wide, so I don't know how and still need to figure that out.

Another message with a different username popped up.

BridgeKingsburry: I'm waiting for you to do that walk for ten minutes now. Do you or do you not want to mess up your entrance?

glasssneakers: chill, bridge. I'm ready.

BridgeKingsburry: Turn on the camera. Just look at what I'm doing for your sake. I'm still not convinced that your father actually grounded you because you had 'spent the night' with Prince Arthur of Triavia.

glasssneakers: can't help it

BridgeKingsburry: Why did you two decide to do an impromptu camping again? I haven't got a proper explanation until now.

glasssneakers: errrrr

BridgeKingsburry: Tell me.

glasssneakers: well, errrrr i felt bad that there were no plans about his birthday cause of prince william and princess elaine's baby announcement

BridgeKingsburry: I see. Well, there is one now. The preparations got a bit delayed because of the sudden news.

BridgeKingsburry: How did Art react?

glasssneakers: he cried a lot... haha nah, he was fine. he looked a bit off. but he was also excited about the baby

BridgeKingsburry: Well, that's that. Let's get back to your dad. If this is the case, how will you move in today?

glasssneakers: im still in the middle of figuring that one out. how i'm going to move over there

It would definitely be sleeping pills.

Possible elopement.

BridgeKingsburry: It is Winterlace Palace, Georgiette. How many times do I have to tell you the name? Will you actually remember it if the press asks you about it? Or will you dismiss the question again, laughing while saying that it's a decent building?

glasssneakers: yeah. i will remember, swear. i had no idea about the name at that time, or moving in, actually, so i was definitely caught off guard. but in my defense, the place is truly decent and grand.

BridgeKingsburry: And doesn't your father know that Art is the prince? That you have participated in the princess search?

glasssneakers: sometimes

There could be only one signatory for the application form, so.

glasssneakers: I mean, yes, but you know the thing with dads...

BridgeKingsburry: I still don't understand, but you just get along with the walk. The camera, Georgiette. Turn it on.

glasssneakers: here goes nothing..

BridgeKingsburry: Okay.

I turned on the camera and walked to the farthest side of my room, past the boxes of shoes, and piles of clothes. My room was the only place where I could hide them. Dad had never entered this place ever since I hit puberty.

Taking a deep breath, I straightened my shirt. My dad would find it completely weird if I was wearing a dress at home, so I stuck to my usual routine while he was still here. I barely got out of the question concerning the last dress he saw me wear.

Ending up going nose to nose with a tall pile of boxes, I stepped back. Bridge wouldn't actually see me from here, so I moved a step forward and into the palpable space. I could see her unyielding face looking at me from the computer screen, waiting.

With another deep breath, I asked while walking, "Am I doing it right?"

"Please do place your hand elsewhere, Georgiette. In front of you or pretend that you are tracing the handrail. That would look more elegant. And walk slowly, please," I heard Bridge say through the wireless headset, still courtesy of friend, Pete.

"Okay. So yeah, the handrail would be nice. That would most likely prevent me from falling down the stairs," I muttered, walking back to step one.

"Hold the tip of your dress. You will be wearing a ball gown," Bridge added.

I pretended to be holding on to something and walked again. "So is this okay enough?"

"Walk straight. Do not slouch, please," she answered.

Stretching my back straight, I continued walking, "How about this?"

"Do not act like a robot. Be natural, Georgiette," Bridge said.

"Okay?" I had no idea how to actually be natural and have a very straight back.

"Do not bounce while walking."

"I do not."

"Stop bobbing your head. Look at the crowd, side to side, slowly..."

"Slowly." I was pretending to be listening to some music while walking. It was more rhythmic that way. "I am doing it very slowly. I see every gray hair in the room and memorized the lines on everyone's faces."

"What's the name of the royal residence again?"

"Seriously? It's Winterlace," I replied, feeling apprehensive. It was the place where I should be moving into tonight. I had already dragged the waiting period for way too long. If the aliens would abduct my dad in an hour, that would be very convenient.

"That's fine. Enough with the walk. You need to fit in the dress soon. It will take more than an hour to do your hair and make-up. So what should we do about you?" Bridge asked me, as I sat in front of the computer, crossing my legs on the floor.

"I'll take care of it. I'll be there," I assured her.

"Do I have to talk to him? Art is even willing to ask his permission as soon as you say the word," Bridge told me, looking at her planner that had my name all over the dates. Even if I was looking at it through a webcam, I could still clearly see the huge Georgiettes everywhere.

Georgiette's magazine shoot. 9 am sharp.

Georgiette's charity lunch. 11 am sharp.

Georgiette's interview with Art. 2 pm sharp.

Georgiette's Summer Festival speech. Practice. Practice some more.

Should I really go on with this?

"It's okay. It will be fine. I'll talk to my dad. Actually, I'm going to do it right now. I'll meet you there in the royal residence in a few, okay?"

"Okay, Georgiette. And call it Winterlace Palace, please. So four on the dot?" Bridge asked.

I nodded my head. "Yes, certainly."

Turning off the chat box, I rehearsed the script that I had in my head on how to make Dad agree that I was supposed to go out for several hours without him getting suspicious. I didn't want to tell him yet what I was really up to, but it seemed like there was no other way around.

"Who are you talking to, George?" I heard Dad ask.

"A friend," I answered, opening the door and seeing my dad sitting on the floor with his guitar and a cell phone in hand. "You're actually searching the web for it?"

"You told me to. I didn't see any thorough explanation for seventeen year old girls and that me time."

"You can be less specific. Try searching for girls in general," I suggested.

"But I think I could write a song about that. My daughter loves to spend time in her room today, and it freaks me out because she's usually out." Dad strummed his guitar.

"You're a weirdo," I commented.

"It's music. Art," he answered.

I cleared my throat. "Yeah, totally art."

"You still haven't heard the news, George?" Dad grinned. What news? That I was the princess-in-training nowadays?

"Are you famous now?" I asked, sarcastically. "Do we finally have the means of survival?"

"I've met this wonderful—"

"Dad! What about Hannah?" I was not up to changing moms, especially when the one I had now was irrevocably remarkable.

"Don't talk that loud! She's in the bathroom," Dad said. "And let me finish first. It's not a girl."

"Are you sure?" I asked for a confirmation.

"Yes. I'm busy enough with this new music I'm working on to go on dates. What do you think I've been doing these past three years?"

"Wandering around with your soul?" I suggested. He frowned. "So who did you meet?"

"Lucas Hughes," he excitedly broke the news to me.

"Ah, Lucas?" I plastered a faux-enthusiastic expression. Pulling it back, I asked, "Who's that again?"

"The one who did a cover of Good Meeting You and hit the charts," he told me, stressing out as if I was missing the big point here.

"Mom's favorite song?" I asked.

"Did she say that? It certainly is mine."

"Of course," I said, nodding. So this was the huge secret behind the song. I guessed that I should continue working on deciphering the black and white of my parent's favorite song. "How could it be Mom's favorite if it wasn't yours? I mean, come on."

"I can't remember. But the point is, my label introduced one of my old songs to him. His camp considers making a cover of it for his second album," he said.

"Wow. That's great, Dad."

Big break.

"I can let you meet him, I guess, when it happens. I heard that girls are crazy about him," Dad told me.

I had enough crazy girls' dream nowadays. "It's fine. I don't even know him. It will only be weird not to be a fangirl when I'm theoretically supposed to."

"Okay, it's your call. But I'm telling you, George, if this pushes through, I will finally have my shot to stardom!" Dad said ecstatically.

"Yay." I definitely heard that one before, roughly, three or so years ago?

"This should have happened before, you know? It's only a matter of time," he piped up.

"I know, right?" That was why they shouldn't have gone and made a baby when they weren't supposed to. He could have made a 'big break' when he was in his late teens, but then they had me. I had turned out to be their 'big break'. Dad had lost his chance to that contract, Mom no. 1 didn't get casted, and I got to be their own taste of stardom.

"I'm just waiting..." Dad's phone rang, and he looked at it. "Look who's calling. I guess they have some positive news for me."

"Your manager?"

"Who else?" he sneered. After a moment, he laughed, a little too rusty. "His manager? Well, it's their lost."

From the looks of it, there was no good news.

"Tell him to consider the other songs I made, maybe he could use some of them. They're good. And yeah... What did? Okay, that could work. I'll be there right away!"

Whoa. There? He was going... there.

There.

Wherever that was, that would be good enough for tonight. I couldn't have asked for more than his manager calling and telling him some exciting news, past the Lucas dead deal. Unable to hide the relief and satisfaction I felt, I turned around and made a jump in my head.

All right.

"George, I'm sorry for not making it to your birthday like planned. I got a call, as you heard. Bob told me that I was going to play some gigs and hopefully get my album out before the end of the year," he explained to me.

"How long are you staying there?" I asked him, hoping for another year or two.

"Two or three weeks."

"Really? Doesn't it take long to prepare an album?" I said, barely disguising my eagerness.

"I'm planning to be home often, but I guess that if we're going to be on the road for days, I wouldn't be able to help it, you know?" Dad said quietly.

I heard the bathroom door open, and Mom no. 2 came in the scene. She gave me a knowing look, overhearing a bit of our conversation and readily taking in the mood. Smiling at me, Mom no. 2 tucked her towel tight around her and went to their room.

"That's fine, really, Dad. We're okay, Hannah and I," I told him, hoping to sound convincing. "I have several part times and a scholarship. Business is great in the laundry shop."

We Clean It Right! had become famous after I'd been chosen as the PIT, princess-in-training. Mom no. 2 said that their customers tripled in one day. She was given five to six days a week, and sometimes, there was that twelve-hour shift bonus. We didn't know how long this would actually last, but we could finally live before I'd get my paycheck.

"I heard," he said.

"So everything's well and you don't have to worry!" I said, fervently.

Dad smiled in relief. "If that's the case, I must hit the road now."

"Have a happy trip," I bid him adieu.

"I'll tell Hannah to take good care of you," Dad told me.

"Doesn't she always?" I replied, as I went back in my room to get my things ready.

Lenora had already taken care of almost everything and already prepped my room in Winterlace Palace. The Queen had also got hands on when it came to picking out the decorations. I still couldn't believe the fact that I'd soon be waking up in the same house as her.

I still waited for more than an hour before leaving our house, because my dad said his goodbye for a long time. It usually lasted for years, so an hour wouldn't be that bad to make up for it.

Feeling very conceited, I tried to hide my enthusiasm about him leaving. But when I looked at Mom no. 2, her smile was way too keen that she had left my dad dumbfounded. We were that happy to see him go, and it felt so wrong and right at the same time.

"You've made it! What happened?" Lenora said first thing, when she saw me getting up her bus.

"Dad got gigs and left," I replied, ending up hugging Lenora out of utter bliss. "I'm so happy that this is really happening."

"That's great," Lenora said, patting my back. "And we have to go now, because you'll be late for the dinner. You're one of the two making a grand entrance."

"What's my dress today?" I asked her, having a seat before the bus started to move.

"One of my bests," Lenora plainly answered.

I saw one dress on display at one side of the bus, and I ended up looking at it for minutes. This must be the dress she was talking about. She always let me see a glimpse of the dress before I wore it, so that I would see it upfront and take in the details.

Lenora's personal belief was one should internalize the dress she was wearing in order to carry it well. And this one was definitely one of Lenora's best. I wouldn't even be surprised if Art and I would have a sudden wedding tonight with the dress being fluffy and pallid.

"That's very white," I said after a while, memorizing the details of the dress.

"Oh no, George, you've got it wrong. That's not the one. You'll be wearing red tonight," Lenora corrected me right away, fetching the correct dress. "This will be the one for tonight."

Oh. Right. Of course. What did I know? I shouldn't get ahead of myself.

"That looks very much like the red in black forest." I took in the strapless red floor-length gown with rose petal print. "And I'm going to sit the whole time, right? I'm not sure if that's walkable."

"You will walk, in case you forgot," I swore I heard Bridge's voice out of nowhere, only to end up seeing her standing right behind me. She was still wearing her so-called uniform, which very much looked like she could pass as my bodyguard more than my secretary.

"Hi," I said to her.

"She will be able to walk with that dress, right?" Bridge asked Lenora as well.

"Of course, Bridgette," Lenora gleefully answered her.

"Without tripping? Head first?"

Yeah. That happened.

"Guaranteed," Lenora answered, motioning to her assistants to move around. "You're doing a great job in carrying my dresses nowadays. Now George, you will not change dresses during the last minute, do you understand?"

"I promise." I placed a hand on my heart.

"That's a very beautiful dress," Bridge praised it as well. Turning her head to me, she said, "Come down the bus and follow me. Let me have a brief word to you before the event."

"Aside from the entrance, what else will there be tonight?" I asked Bridge, as she led me into a room. "Will there be dancing?"

"Yes," she answered.

"Oh, that's nice. Dancing," I repeated incredulously, convincing myself that it couldn't be that dreadful. But I asked just the same, "How will I do that?"

"We're yet to have a lesson about that. But you remembered the basics from last time?" Bridge asked me.

"Step back and side and side and front or something like that." I swayed a bit around the room to remember the steps.

"Well, let's just hope that you two won't be dancing that long. You can just sway around the dance floor for several minutes and no one will notice. I'll talk to Art about that later," she said.

I sighed. "Yeah, please tell him to never take me to the center of the dance floor."

"We'll definitely have lessons about that as soon as tomorrow," Bridge said later.

I nodded in agreement.

"We're here!" Lenora announced, as she entered the room with her assistants.

"I'll get on with the briefing while you get your hair and makeup done," Bridge said, looking around the room as well. The moment Lenora had announced her arrival, the once peaceful room had turned into a dressing place in an instant.

"Okay, we can do that," I agreed, while I was pushed by Famy to the nearest chair.

"The hair?" Famy asked Lenora.

"Down in loose locks," Lenora instructed, as she was going through the dresses. There were plenty of them that I really didn't understand the number they carried, even now. I would only wear one dress tonight, and only getting wet or staining it would change that. But Lenora and her team carried all sorts of dresses around, creating a line of not less than ten of them. It was like a dress festival around here.

"You'll be meeting with the prime minister and his wife," Bridge said, as I was having my hair done.

"Really? They'll be in the dinner?" I was surprised.

"Of course. They have a son around your age, and he's supposed to have a dance with you..." Bridge looked at me for a moment.

I shook my head.

"I'll take care of that. Just chat with their son for several minutes, and that would be good enough. He's good friends with Art," Bridge continued.

"He's a charming one," Famy interrupted.

"After that, you'll meet the Duke's daughters. Try to be friendly with them, but I can't guarantee that they'll be a good companion for tonight," Bridge continued saying.

"I'm not that friendly, either."

"You will try, okay?" Bridge told me

"Sure thing," I replied.

Lisbeth and Jen, two more of Lenora's assistants, helped me put on the dress. Famy was still working on my hair as they were helping me pull up the zipper at the back.

Bridge informed me that the guests were starting to arrive. I had no idea whatsoever what I should do at the dinner. I heard that there would be prestigious people attending, and Lucas Hughes, my dad's collaboration dream, was going to be there.

"Lucas Hughes? Are you sure?" I repeated Bridge's words.

"Yeah? He will be here singing several of his hit songs after dinner," Bridge answered me, examining how I looked. "Can you breathe?"

"Yes."

"Move?"

"I think."

"Do you want to sing a song with Lucas Hughes?" Bridge asked me all of a sudden.

"Nay," I replied.

"Okay. I was only wondering if you wanted to, since your dad is a singer," she finalized.

"Why do people always say that?"

"I noticed."

"Lucas Hughes must be really famous," I said, playing with my thoughts. "He seems to be everywhere nowadays."

"The most popular singer around," Bridge informed me.

"So I heard," I said, letting out a yawn. Staying up late and talking all night was not a brilliant thing to do before this big day. Art and I had probably dozed off at around three in the morning.

"You can ask for his autograph, but try not to make a scene," Bridge told me.

"Puck your lips, princess," said Famy.

"I personally don't even know what he looks like," I replied, after Famy was done with putting on my lipstick. "I'll pass."

Wait, I could sell them. Oh, my thoughts.

Bridge suddenly stood up. "Is she okay now? Art is about to make his entrance. Georgiette will be next."

I looked in the mirror one last time, just to make sure that I could still see and feel myself there. Looking back at me was a girl who was like a distant friend that I got to see every now and then. Her hair was in place and her clothes were one of a kind. The red lipstick on her pale face made an impression that she was beautiful tonight.

That she was made to be beautiful.

I wondered if I still knew my old self. This fairytale would soon come to an end, and she was all I got. Would I still know her by then?

"Ready?" It was Jack. He was standing right beside me, looking at the mirror.

"Will I be fine there?" I asked him.

"You're doing well, Princess. It's going to be all right," Jack said, offering his left arm. "Shall we go?"

When I turned around, I realized that it was only Jack and I in the room. The others gave me some time alone, as I prepared for my first royal dinner. This feeling could easily wreck neuroses.

Taking a deep breath, I let Jack lead me out of the door, where I found Bridge waiting for me. I tried to smile, only for the feeling to be pushed back by my nervousness. Breathing in, I kept telling myself that I could do this.

It probably might be the first, but I heard Bridge laugh. "Relax, Georgiette."

"Huh?"

"You look like you ate a frog," she said, adjusting her earpiece. "Let's go. Art made his entrance just now."

I whistled under my breath, breathing out the antsy feeling. "Let's go along, dudes."

"No dudes, Georgiette," Bridge reminded me as we were walking.

"Okay. All right," I said, looking around the place. "I'll do my best not to trip over and make a highway straight to the floor."

"Here we go, Princess. You'll be by yourself from here." Jack stopped from walking and I felt my breath doing the same.

"There's a spotlight," I said the obvious. Why did they have to make the stairs so grand?

Jack found me amusing. "Of course, Princess."

"Go now, George. You'll hear your name in a few seconds," Bridge asked me to move.

With one more deep breath, I moved forward. Focusing on not to trip, I held my dress firmly. Kick. Step. This was how I would do this walking thing. I had discovered this tip online. But I felt like kicking the dress all the way and get it over with.

"...of Triavia, the girl we all love. Let's all welcome, Ms. Georgiette Elise McAlden," I faintly heard the announcement.

I closed my eyes for a moment, easing my shoulder. "I can do this."

Moving forward, I kept on kicking the dress while walking along towards the spotlight. Bridge said that I should avoid feeling overwhelmed by the spotlight and pretend that it wasn't taking over me. But this one was really bright, and the room suddenly became dark that I couldn't see a thing.

Adjusting my eyes, I kept a smile in place, walking down the stairs. After a moment, I finally saw everyone who was looking at me. Neuroses struck in again, but I tried my best to hide it behind my smile. And yeah, I was busy focusing on the rhythm of kick and step. It was, by far, the best advice in order not to trip while wearing this kind of dress.

Art was standing below the staircase, and I instinctively held on to him as soon as he was within arm's length. With all those people looking at me, I felt like I needed someone to lean on to, or else I would walk out of the room right away.

"Hello there, beautiful," Art said, holding my hand that was firmly gripping his right arm.

"Hi," I breathed, a little too loudly. Looking his way, I wasn't able to say a word at first. Art was wearing a formal suit, all the way equipped with black leather shoes. It was nice seeing him wear something other than his usual casual pair of sneakers. His light brown tousled hair was the only thing familiar to my eyes.

"You look very nice," I was finally able to say.

"That was nice hearing from you," he said, catching my eyes before turning to the man in front of us. "George, I want you to meet our Prime Minister, Mr. Trace Elgort."

"Hi. Nice to meet you." I extended my hand to meet his.

"And his lovely wife," Art added, welcoming a beautiful lady to the scene, "Marie."

"Hello."

"And Elliot, their son and a good friend of mine," Art said.

"Hi." I looked at the said Elliot, finding this charming man, whom Famy had highly praised a moment ago. "Nice to meet you."

"What a very beautiful lady you have here." Elliot kissed the back of my hand.

"Ha... ha... thank you," I stumbled with the words, trying to keep my hand away.

"Easy there, Elliot. She was just a normal girl a few weeks ago," Art finally said, wrapping his arm around me.

"Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking. No offense, but I don't normally get my hand kissed out there," I told him. "I prefer a handshake anytime."

Elliot laughed. "She's cool, Art."

"My life never gets dull with her around. She surprises us every time," Art told Elliot.

Elliot looked at his beeping phone, reading a text message. "Hey, bro, I'll be going now. Lucas arrived, and he's pesking me to bring him food. He wanted to meet you, so drop by later, 'kay?"

"I'll be there. I'll just keep my princess company," Art told him.

"He's friends with Lucas, too?" I asked Art, after Elliot said goodbye to me and left.

"Yes," he answered. "It turns out that Lucas' attending some classes in college with him."

"Small world."

"Sometimes, it certainly feels like that." Art cast me a sideway glance. "No?"

"We did meet. Who would have predicted that?"

"No?"

"Why do you like saying that?" I asked, oblivious.

He laughed.

"Dinner is served," Bridge started telling everybody. She caught my eye and gave me a knowing look, but with a smile.

I made a face.

Her smiled faded away, so I took back the face. Back with the cozy smile.

Or so.

Anyway, so we all went to the dining table. I didn't get introduced to the Duke's daughters, but I noticed them right away. The three of them were looking at me like I was the appetizer. But to Art, their faces lit up like fireworks on New Year's Eve. Come to think of it, I saw the oldest one in the search. If I remembered it correctly, she was the one wearing neon lights.

What a coincidence.

"His Majesty, King Robert."

"Her Majesty, Queen Elicia."

The Queen flashed me a smile when she caught my eyes, and I bowed my head in response, trying not to be awfully weird in front of her. Her silver dress was shining, just like she was.

Everyone talked about Prince William and Princess Elaine's baby during the dinner, and Lucas Hughes—yes, I finally saw what he looked like, and let me say that he looked really handsome and he got the voice, so that made him very attractive—sang a happy birthday song.

And then it turned out that the plan Bridge made on how to let me avoid getting too much dancing time was to let Art have a dance party by himself. He was given twelve red roses to be given to twelve girls he would have a dance with.

Everyone thought I would be the first one, but I wasn't. It was her mother, the Queen. I wouldn't dare say anything to that, really. I watched them sway gracefully along the dance floor, thoroughly preventing myself from getting too stunned.

But when Art called out the second one, I felt some heavy eyes looking at me. It was that Duke's girl. The neon light girl. I kept a smile in place, pretending to act cool about this whole dance thing going on.

I didn't know if this was even worse than not knowing how to dance. Of course, even I expected myself to be called. But came along eight, and my name was still not on the list. After a while, I excused myself when I felt like everyone gave up on looking at me and throwing a pity party for my sake.

Finding one empty velvet chair in a soulless corridor on the second floor, I took a seat. Since there was no one around, I lifted my legs and felt instant relief. Placing my elbow on the arm of the chair, I cupped my face with my hand, feeling sleepy.

"George, what are you doing here?" I heard a voice call me, and I instantly got up, straightening my clothes. "Why are you here alone?"

"Your Majesty," I said quickly. It was the King, of all people to find me here. Folding my hands in front of me, I bowed. "Good evening, sir."

"Aren't you supposed to be downstairs?"

"I don't really know what I'm doing here, Your Majesty. The party's going great without me, either way, so I went upstairs. But I'm sorry to leave. I'm really sorry..." Blabbing. I was blabbing too much.

"It's all right, George. Is the party too overwhelming?"

I didn't know how to answer the question.

He smiled. "I remember the first time I attended an event like this. I ran off midway."

"Really? I can't imagine you doing that, Your Majesty," I said, slowly.

"You'll be okay. Some people, like us, can never get used to those lights. I still sneak out whenever, like right now. I signed some papers instead."

"Don't you like dancing?" I asked quietly, hearing the loud music from the hall downstairs.

"My wife enjoys it, but I can't say the same for me," he answered. Pointing to the staircase, he added, "Come along. Bridge must be getting anxious by now."

"George!" True enough, Bridge saw me as she was going up the staircase, but she instantly composed herself when she had noticed that I was with the King. "Your Majesty! Oh, I'm so sorry. I was just..."

The King buttoned his suit. "It's okay. Were you looking for George?"

"For the last half hour, sir. She disappeared all of a sudden," Bridge answered.

"Give her some rest, Bridge. See you later, Georgiette. It was nice chatting with you," His Majesty told me.

"You were having a chat with King Robert while I searched the whole place for you?" Bridge instantly demanded, right after the King was out of hearing range. "I was about to call the police. In fact, I had called your mom and she said that you were probably wandering around since you were not home. Oh, and I also told her to come by tomorrow so that she could see your new room."

"Would it be too much if I ask for my mom to live with me here?" I crossed my fingers.

"You know that wouldn't be possible. There's never been that kind of arrangement before," Bridge answered.

"Okay. I was just wondering," I said.

"Come on, you're needed in the party for Art's closing speech," Bridge said, helping me with my dress.

"This one's really spacious," I said, holding it up while going down the stairs. "So the new plan turned out to be Art dancing with everyone."

"Am I sensing some green monster around here?" Bridge raised an eyebrow.

"I'm not jealous or anything."

"Then what's with the tone?"

"Was there a tone?"

Bridge smiled. "I ended up being his last dance, because we couldn't find you anywhere."

I paused.

"Good thing I changed my clothes before the party."

"Black dress suited you better than those slacks," I said. At least Bridge was his last dance.

"Yes, but now everyone's asking why you didn't dance with the prince. The tabloids would probably put some nasty headlines tomorrow, so find brace yourself as early as now..." Bridge was saying, when we arrived at the hall and heard the closing speech.

"I want to extend my thanks to all of you for coming tonight. I hope that you enjoyed the party, and have a good night." Art raised a toast for the last time. "To Triavia!"

"Hmm, I guess I'm really not needed here, Bridge," I said to her.

"Well, happy birthday, George. You're still turning eighteen in a few hours," Bridge said to me. "You have the rest of the night for yourself and meet me late tomorrow. We need to get on with your dancing lessons."

"I will be there," I told her. "Dancing lessons for my birthday."

"Like always," she replied. "I'm sorry that we have so many things to do."

"It's fine," I replied, meaning it. This was my job, after all.

♔~♕

After Bridge gave me my gift of freedom, I went straight to my new room. It was near the veranda at the left wing of the second floor, just across the hall from the library. I had seen the room before and got myself familiarized with it. The only thing holding me back from moving in was my dad, which had now gotten resolved.

Opening the door, I was ready to finally have some decent sleep. But what greeted me was the distinct smell of roses filling the entire room. When I turned on the lights, I saw pink rose petals scattered on my bed. There was a bouquet of eighteen roses, right beside a velvet box tied with a ribbon.

Enjoy your stay here, Princess! And happy 18th birthday! I have to personally thank your mom and dad for bringing you into this world.

♥,

Art

I was speechless for a while. That was sweet of him. When I opened the box, I saw a silver bracelet with a tiara charm. I pinched my cheek twice, just to make sure that I wasn't in dreamland yet. He could have just given me that red rose. I only fantasized one rose.

Opening the windows to get some air, as if it was suddenly starting to be gone, I carefully held the box in my hand, leaning against the windowsill. If I wasn't the princess-in-training, I could bet that such thing would never happen in my life. But right now, I felt very special. I'd seen the darkness all my life, and it was impossible not to notice the slightest glint of light when it appeared in front of you.

I could feel something warm inside me, making me smile as I looked into the night, beneath the stars and the moon. For the first time, I felt an indescribable happiness, as I closed my eyes and felt the wind blowing in my hair.

"Hey, Princess!" I heard someone call from below.

I looked down and saw him. Shaking my head, I asked, "Could this get even more clichéd?"

"Does it, no?" He tried to appear clueless.

"Hey, thank you for the gift."

"Did you like it?"

"No."

Art wasn't able to respond.

"Yes," I laughed. "I like it much."

"Really?" he breathed out in relief, light filling his eyes again.

"It's impossible not to. But I can't sleep with those flower petals on my bed."

"Happy birthday!" Art called out.

I looked at the clock on the wall. Seeing that it was exactly twelve midnight, I said back, "And happy birthday, too. We're sharing our birthdays together right now."

"Romantic, no?"

"Could be. Yes?"

"Yes?"

"Yeah?"

"So, it's yes, no?"

"Why are you making me say yes?" I asked him, incredulously.

"I have a question," Art said.

"Oh, we're moving on from the yes and no?" I said, laughing quietly. "What's the question?"

"What will happen..."

"What will happen?"

"If, let's say, I fall in love with you?" Art continued, looking at my eyes. And his was green, looking as sincere as his question to me. "What do you think will happen to us?"

"We'll get married. Have kids. I'd love to take Dog with us, and of course, there's Hero," I carefully replied, trying to sound unaffected.

"Tomorrow?" Art still sounded dead serious.

"I'm hoping this is not a proposal?" I tried to laugh it off. He didn't answer at first. Alarmed, I asked, "Don't tell me I just blew off your proposal?"

The tiara. Shame. In place of the ring.

"It's not," Art finally spoke. "I was thinking of something else."

"What? Getting married?" I guessed, shifting the mood back to those not so awkward moments.

"No. You just turned eighteen, so your parents won't like it if I throw that question right now," he replied. "No?"

"True."

"Go get some sleep, George. You might catch a cold, so don't leave the windows open. It's time to rest. We've been up for too long," Art said, motioning for me to go inside.

I stretched my arms. "I also feel very sleepy right now."

"Go," he said again.

"Oh, right," I muttered, realizing that we were looking blankly at each other for around a minute. I smiled, shakily. Of all the questions he could have asked, why was it that one? It also made me think within the lines of what. "Good night, Art."

"Good night," I could hear him faintly answer, as I turned my back and closed the windows, "my princess."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

122K 11.1K 60
A Beast stalks the night... but Beauty hunts him. A reimagining of the story you thought you knew. Rell grew up hearing stories of the Human Realm, a...
121K 5.5K 23
Ranked #12 in girlxgirl |03/23/20| Ranked #6 in Updates |08/20/20| Ranked #2 in kingsandqueens |3/20/22| Trapped inside castle walls, heiress Aless...
50.5K 1.8K 50
"Mama!" "Bébé courir!" (Baby run!) The woman screamed in French at her child to run away, the young girl looking at her mother with tears in her eyes...
23 5 6
As a knight, the tip of Enica's sword is always destined to be stuck in the hearts of the Enemies, not the King, that she serves. That day Enica Ross...