It Takes Two to Tango

By jedi3ravenclaw

Ahsoka Tano's life has changed since the rebellion on Onderon. Her thoughts dwell on Lux Bonteri, the newly a... More

Part 1: Underneath the Mistletoe
A Tremor in the Force
Admiral Tarkin
Anakin Wants Her Alive
Reminiscense
A New Beginning
Love Unbroken
Part 2: Bittersweet Memory
Painful Goodbyes
The General
The Siege of Mandalore
The Day the Jedi Fell
Part 3: An Old Friend
Sweethearts Reunited
A Change of Plans
Friends and Foes
A Visit to Lothal
A Boy, A Wolf, and A Message
A Wolf's Guidance
A Hero's Purpose
Part 4: Home
Intentions and Interventions
A Shot in the Dark
A New Evil
A Rescue Gone Wrong
Family
A New Order
Part 5: A Skywalker Plan
Preparing for Battle
Battle of Scarif
Shifting the Tide
The Last Shot
A New Dawn
Epilogue

Promotions and Proposals

1K 18 64
By jedi3ravenclaw

Even though she was deep in hyperspace, Ahsoka knew it was late at night. She was thoroughly surprised to receive a call from Lux at such an obscure hour, but his calls were always welcome.

"Hey, 'Soka. It's me." His holograpic form appeared in front of her. He was sitting at his desk with paperwork all over the place. He rubbed his eyes, and she could tell he was worn out. "How's it going?"

She sat up from her mattress. "Good, I guess. I have some news for you. How are you?"

"I'm doing absolutely fantastic," he said, at least trying to sound happy. "What news?""

"Lux, I know you better than that. What's going on?"

"You first. I think my news is going to be a bit planet-shattering."

She wasn't sure what he meant by that, but she continued on. "I'm the General of the 501st."

His eyes widened. "You're what?"

"Long story short, the Chancellor was kindapped, Anakin and Obi-Wan had to go save the day, and they left me in charge here. The entire operation is now under my control. It's a little scary, but I'll be okay if I don't freak out."

He smiled. "That's great! I mean, it's even better than you would've been had you stayed a Jedi, right?" She nodded. "Wow. I'm so proud of you, 'Soka. I hope you know that."

"Thanks. What's your big story of the day for me?"

He ran a hand through his hair. It was a nervous habit of his developed during his political career, and Ahsoka found it most adorable. "King Dendup died this morning."

"What? Are you serious?"

"Dead serious. He didn't have an heir to the throne, so do you know what that means?"

"No," she shook her head, "what?"

"By default, the eldest Senator has to take his place. It's an ancient policy that's never been majorly relevant until now. I just so happened to be the only current Senator, so as of this morning, I'm technically the king of Onderon."

She blinked twice, letting it sink in. "Okay... What does that even mean?"

"I wanted to talk to you about it before I figure out what to do. My plan thus far is to resign from the Senate and go back to Onderon. I can do a whole lot more there than I can in the Senate."

She shook her head. "Sorry, I'm still processing this. You're the king of Onderon? You're barely nineteen!"

"I'm not the youngest monarch to be appointed, you know. Senator Amidala was only fourteen when she was Queen."

"I realize that, but I'm worried for the stress that would put on you."

He took a deep breath. "'Soka, I'm not going to do this if you don't want me to. You're the most important thing to me, and I don't want to lose you if I accept."

It was touching that she meant something to him, but there were other factors to consider. "Lux, you know you'd be going completely public, right? Every move you make is open for criticism."

"Yeah, why does that matter?"

No, he obviously did not grasp the concept in its entirety. "We'd have to stop seeing each other. It's unprofessional, and I don't want it to damage your reputation."

"How would it damage my reputation?"

"I've seen it happen before. I'm not willing to mess up the rest of your life so that we can be together."

"Fine, then marry me."

"I–" she stopped, realizing what he had said. The worst part was she couldn't tell if he was joking. "Marry you? Right now? N'anya, we're still teenagers!"

"Not right now, but in the future. Every king needs a queen, right?"

She took a deep breath. "We can figure this out after I get home from Mandalore. I don't want to be leading the entire 501st to it's death because I'm distracted. Go ahead and take the job." She smiled. "I'm really happy for you, Lux, even though it might not seem like it. I wish I could be there to experience this is person with you."

"Me too," he sighed. "I should probably let you get some sleep. It's going to be a long day tomorrow for both of us. Bye, 'Soka. I love you."

"I love you, too." His holographic form faded away, and she collapsed back on her bed. She winced as a spring hit a nerve on her back. Lux was right; it was going to be a long mission.

-:-:-:-:-:-

His coronation was all over the holonet. When she woke up, there was still a few hours left before she had to prepare for landing. There were several things she could do to be productive, but she watched the ceremony anyway. She didn't feel like sitting up, so she turned the holodisk on its side to see it properly.

(Memorial Plaza is where the coronation takes place. Picture for reference because why not)

She could tell Lux was excited. He stood tall as he walked past the large crowd towards where Steela's funeral had been, his chin elevated slightly. His elaborate robes were crimson red, matching the ruby stone on the ring around her finger and the necklace he had given her at their first dance. She smiled at the memory, remembering how young and naive they had been a few short years ago.

The people respected Lux. That much was evident. They stood quietly as he passed through the center isle across the carpet. Other politicans nodded as he glided past them, which was something Ahsoka hadn't ever seen before. Lux had worked hard for that crown, and she knew it. Every day, every choice was about the people. His people. What would make them happy? How would a proposed legislation affect them?

Saw Gerrera, the General of the Army and Lux's long-time friend, stood in front of the  enter isle in front of everyone, the crown resting on a pillow in his hands. He made eye contact with Lux, smiling.

She wasn't sure whether to laugh at the commentary or feel deeply hurt.

"I'm not exactly sure why they wanted this child to be king, Arcas," a female Bothan said to her counterpart.

"Me neither, Raka. Bonteri is simply too young. He has no experience with leading a planet." Arcas paused before continuting. "Well, that's not completely true. He's been the Senator for a good while now. That counts for something."

Raka shook her head. "No, it's not his political capability I worry about. You heard about his illegal relationship with a Jedi Padawan, right? She ended up going crazy and leaving the Order for him, I think. Who knows if they're still together."

"Oh yeah," Arcas nodded his head. "I remember that. I wonder what happened to her. I just hope Bonteri doesn't do anything like that while on the throne, don't you?"

"Indeed. The fact that he's a teenager could really work against him, with all those emotional ups and downs."

She decided to simply tune them out and watch.

The Archbishop stepped up to the podium once Lux climbed the stairs and reached the center. After delivering a heartfelt speech, tha Archbishop presented Lux with the royal scepter as he knelt down on one knee. It was almost similar to the knighting process of the Jedi Order, which reminded Ahsoka of all that had transpired during her trial. She sighed, remembering how she had felt back then. Everything was different.

Once the crown was firmly placed on his head, Lux stood up and was pronounced King of Onderon. Ahsoka couldn't help but smile. She was proud of everything he had become and everything he worked so hard to build. She just wished she could've been there in person for this special moment in his life.

Lux delivered a fantastic and moving speech about Onderon's role in the galaxy, leaving the crowd speechless. It took them a few moments to let what he'd said sink in before they erupted in applause.

Just seeing the crowd react made Ahsoka realize how much she actually missed him. "I love you, n'anya..." she whispered out loud. She pulled his blanket up to her chin and fell back asleep.

A/N: Happy spring! I hope you're all still alive and not buried beneath piles of homework... I'm on spring break right now, so I wish everyone in school the best of luck.

I've been at a camp all day all week, so I've had almost no time to write. This chapter started out as a little 5 minute conversation I originally had in the last chapter, but it ended up being much longer. I added in the coronation too because a) why not, b) I wanted to add in the Rita Skeeters of the Star Wars galaxy, and c) it shows how much both of them, though Lux in particular, have grown up. The war forces teenagers to assume adult roles far too early, which is something the Clone Wars really plays with during Ahsoka's character development.

I had originally planned on updating everything this week, but that is not going to happen. I'll see what I can do about a fee more, but no promises. I have a huge joint-birthday party with two of my best friends on Sunday night (all three of us had a birthday this week), which is going to be absolutely epic. We're getting together tonight and tomorrow to prepare.

I'm watching the Onderon arc in season 5 right now, getting some brain food. I just can't take it. THEY WAY THEY LOOK AT EACH OTHER THOUGH! THEY ARE SO CUTE TOGETHER I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE

Assuming I don't die in a puddle of feels, I'll see you in the next update. May the force be with you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56.2K 1K 36
After being betrayed by the Jedi Order, Ahsoka Tano lives in the slums of Coruscant, until waking up severely injured on a freight ship en route to O...
33.3K 517 13
After Ahsoka leaves the Jedi Temple, Lux embarks on a journey to reunite her. Will he succeed or will she be on her own forever? And as the young Pad...
30.2K 492 30
The fifth book of Ahsoka, Daughter of the Light. Ahsoka Tano-Bonteri is pregnant. Following the multiple daring missions of her hidden New Jedi Order...
30.8K 836 35
Book two of Ahsoka, Daughter of the Light. Ahsoka Tano has left the Jedi Order, after an incident where she was framed for bombing the Jedi Temple an...