Soft.

By fiftyslays

When a high profile CEO, Zeke Ingram, clashes with the new boss in town, Naomi Cartier, it's clear that it's... More

o n e
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n | part 1
n i n e t e e n | part 2
t w e n t y
t w e n t y - o n e
t w e n t y - t w o
t w e n t y - t h r e e
t w e n t y - f o u r
t w e n t y - f i v e | part 1
t w e n t y - f i v e | part 2
t w e n t y - f i v e | part 3
t w e n t y - s i x
t w e n t y - s e v e n
t w e n t y - e i g h t
t w e n t y - n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y - o n e | part 1
t h i r t y - o n e | part 2
t h i r t y - t w o
t h i r t y - t h r e e
t h i r t y - f o u r
t h i r t y - f i v e | part 1
Updated Cast
t h i r t y - f i v e | part 2
t h i r t y - s i x
t h i r t y - s e v e n
t h i r t y - e i g h t
t h i r t y - n i n e
f o r t y
Update.
f o r t y - o n e
f o r t y - t w o
f o r t y - t h r e e
f o r t y - f o u r
Author's Note

t w o

85.1K 4.6K 4.4K
By fiftyslays

Tuesday morning

Naomi Cartier
——

THE rain softly hit against Naomi's windshield as she drove carefully on the highway. Her engine purred softly as she rode in silence, deep into her thoughts. Naomi's best trait was overthinking. If there was a prize for it, she would definitely win it. Her thoughts ran rapidly twenty four hours a day. Sometimes she wished that she could turn her brain off for a couple of days.

Maybe it was the creator in her. It was definitely a blessing and a curse.

"Mommy, can we go to the park today?" Nia, Naomi's five year old daughter, broke the silence with her usual chirpy voice. "I want to do a picnic! We haven't did that in soooooo long." She stated dramatically.

  Naomi chuckled to herself as she shook her head. The two had just had a picnic last weekend at the park. "Sure, sweetie." She briefly glanced at her watch. "You didn't want to go with Daddy today?"

"Oh!" Nia exclaimed, face palming herself causing Naomi to chuckle. "Can he come too?!"

     "Yes, he can. Want to call and ask?" Nia nodded her little head excitedly.

Nia was Naomi's little ray of sunshine. She had a head full of curls that would be beautifully contained in a bun before she went to school. It wouldn't be the same after she was picked up. Her mocha complexion was smooth as a baby's bottom. She had a beautiful smile that was complimented with two missing front teeth.

Naomi kept focus on the road while dialing Nia's father, Ashton, number. The ringing tone sounded throughout Naomi's all black 2017 Toyota Camry. After about four rings, Ashton answered the phone with his deep baritone.

"Hello?" He greeted. It sounded like he was going through some paperwork because Naomi could hear it in the background. Ashton was a well known Software Architect, and does well in his field. Although he is a very busy man, he makes time for Nia and that's all Naomi ever asks for.

   "Daddy!" Nia shouted.

"Hey my beautiful princess!" Ashton matched her tone causing Naomi to smile a little as she got off on her exit.

   "Hey Ash, Nia wanted to ask you something." Naomi said before stopping at a red light. She gave Nia the thumbs up, and that's all she needed.

"Daddy, the park today. After school. Be there." Nia said seriously. Naomi tried hard to hold her laugh in, but to no avail. Nia began giggling.

   "Doesn't seem like a question to me." Ashton said through his chuckles. "Well, I guess I have no choice but to be there. Just let me know when you guys are on your way. I'll close up early."

"Yay!" Nia shouted excitedly.

    "It's going to be a picnic so dress comfortably." Naomi announced as she pulled up to the daycare center. She put the car in park, and sat back in her seat.

"Okay, I got it." He replied.

    "Daddy, can you bring Rosey?" Nia asked, referring to Ashton's German Shepard.

Ashton groaned at the name Nia had given his dog. "Baby girl, his name is Roscoe."

Nia giggled, knowing exactly what she was doing. "I'll definitely bring Roscoe. We have to keep him away from Mommy, though. You know she's scared of dogs."

"Aw man." Nia whined. "Mommy, he won't bite, I promise."

"You said that the last time, baby girl." Naomi responded as she drove into the school's parking lot. Naomi allowed the two to chat for about five more minutes before she took Nia inside. Nia had actually rushed him off of the phone so she could go play with her friend, Katy. Once he was off the line, Naomi shut off the engine and grabbed her umbrella from off of the passenger seat floor.

Naomi opened the umbrella just as she cracked the car door open. Stepping out of the vehicle, she opened Nia's door, and unbuckled her seatbelt and car seat belt. Fastening her coat, she placed the hood over Nia's head. "Grab your backpack, baby." She instructed, and Nia did as she was told.

Once she was out of the car, she latched onto Naomi's hand and allowed herself to be led inside. As the two got closer, you could hear the kids shouting and yelling even though it was almost eight a.m.

I guess breakfast is kind of fun, she thought.

   Opening the door, she allowed Nia to go inside first then she stepped in. Letting her umbrella down, she scanned the area. She closed the door, and Naomi bent down to her level. "Now, Nia, I don't want any bad report today. Try to keep the talking down to a minimal."  She instructed while unzipping her jacket, and taking it off her arms.

Nia nodded her head. "Yes ma'am."

    "Remember what I told you, right?" She lifted her brow.

"Yes ma'am, you said to let you know if the lady picks with me again." Nia repeated from their conversation last night. Nia is a sociable little girl and she loves to talk and make new friends. However, lately, her teacher has been complaining that Nia has been talking too much and too loudly. Naomi knows her child and the former may be true, but the latter, not so much. The word loudly had been nagging at her since the teacher was white. Naomi needed to know if any funny business was being taken place because she would gladly handle it.

   "Good." Naomi gave her a smile, and Nia returned it. "Can Mommy get a kiss?"

Nia leaned in, giving her mommy a solid kiss on the cheek. She then took off to go meet with her friends at the breakfast table. Naomi stood up to go put Nia's bag, jacket and lunch in her assigned locker. She decided to not talk to the teacher until later when she picked Nia up.

   She walked out, and headed back to her car. Once inside, she drove to the nearest coffee shop. Naomi Cartier didn't just own a business, she was a business. After working for a few publications, she created a publication of her own, ASPIER. It was currently the largest publication in the United States and she had plans in the future to expand globally.

The uniqueness about ASPIER is that Naomi wanted to create something for black women and black women, only. Her entire team consisted of black women of all ethnic groups, sexual orientations, and backgrounds. It was also her beauty that captivated everyone. She stood about 5'9 with a semi hour glass frame. Her long, natural hair flowed effortlessly down her back. She had a milk chocolate complexion with perfect teeth to match.

    Those culturally plump lips stayed coated in whatever lipstick that was chosen that day. Her perfect makeup discarded any noticeable blemishes away. Naomi Cartier was gorgeous, but also no-nonsense and very, very intelligent. She was not afraid to tell you when she wasn't impressed with anything because she expected the best from everyone she was around, Nia included.

As she entered the small coffee shop, her cellular device rung in her hand. She looked at the screen seeing that it was one of her best friends, Remy. She slid the answer bar across the screen, and placed the phone up to her ear. "Hey girl." She greeted.

  "Where the hell are you?" Remy said, bypassing the greeting part.

"Getting coffee, why?" Naomi's pink-suede heels sounded against the hardwood as she went to stand in line. It wasn't too long and she was thankful for that.

  "I guess you and Nia forgot that y'all were having breakfast with Auntie Remy, huh?" Naomi grimaced, and placed her hand on her forehead. She had honestly forgot about breakfast with Remy because Nia had drove her crazy this morning.

"I'm sorryyy.." She sung causing Remy to smack her lips.

   "It's cool. We'll reschedule this weekend when you're not on a time limit." Naomi nodded as if Remy could see her.

"That's fine. Let's try something new. I've only been here six months so I know that there's more restaurants than where we go."

   Naomi was originally from Houston, Texas. She decided to move to Seattle to get her career in order. It wasn't always silver and gold for Naomi. Like everyone else, she had a story and didn't want anyone else to write it for her. That's why she created her own publication.

"Nothing like Houston food. We could fly in for a weekend and go eat at the Turkey Leg Hut or something. I missed deep southern food like hell."

   "Girl, you ain't lying." Naomi agreed.

"Can you move up?" A voice said from behind her. In a sudden reflex, she scrunched her nose up, and looked behind her to see a beautiful dark skinned man slightly looking at her. He had a mixture of lust and irritation in his eyes which had Naomi confused for a second.

    He wore a midnight blue suit with a thin lavender pattern. His shirt was white, with lavender stripes running up it. The tie is deep purple, solid and sleek. It's tied with an impeccable, effortless dimple. His pocket square is colorful and vibrant, yet tasteful. Naomi involuntary bit her bottom lip, discreetly. It was nothing like a man in a suit.

She decided to ignore the rudeness in his tone, this time, and moved up. After a few seconds, it was time for her to order. "Hold on, Remy." She took the phone down from her ear. "I just want a medium coffee, light roast please." She handed the man behind the counter a five dollar bill before moving to the side.

      "I heard that rude motherfucker." Remy said through the phone.

"He is fine, though." Naomi said, sneaking another look at the tall figure. He looked oddly familiar, and he definitely had money because she could spot an Armani suit from anywhere.

   "Girl, I don't give a damn. He was rude." Remy retorted causing Naomi to giggle. "Rayne is here now so I'll talk to you later, sis."

"Ok, love you."

   "I love you, too!" The two hung up, and Naomi dropped her phone into her purse. By this time, her coffee was ready and she grabbed it before going to the small little station to add cream and sugar. She decided on hazelnut coffee creamer, which she had grown to love. She usually kept it simple with vanilla.

She was about to walk out of the shop, but someone had gently grabbed her arm. She turned around to meet the eyes of someone she didn't know which made her eyes drop to his hand on her arm. He immediately pulled his hand away. "I'm sorry about that. It's just you're so beautiful and I couldn't have let you walk out of here without me giving you my number."

    "No thank you. I don't want it." She started to walk away, but the man grabbed her arm again. Now, she was getting highly irritated. She had politely turned this man down and wasn't happy with his persistence. "Can you keep your hand off my arm?" She squinted her eyes at him.

"Just leave it alone, Eric." The fine dark skinned man said from behind him. "They like to make scenes and act like you're harassing them or something. She's going to get loud in a minute." He appeared beside who she assumed was Eric while stirring his coffee. He took a few sips before sliding his hand into his pocket.

   Naomi's face contorted. "Excuse me?!"

"See." The man smirked. "I told you. You're wasting your time with them. Let's go." The two men brushed past Naomi leaving her angry and confused. She watched the two figures leave, but the fine smart ass turned around and gave her a wink. She contemplated on following them and cursing him out, but decided against it.

  Naomi would have to brush it off because she needed to get to work. She felt like they would cross paths again, and she wouldn't hold her tongue on that day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

477K 12.9K 20
"His eyes are like the dark abyss of space, when he meet her suddenly his dark space was fill with light." Sebastian and Naomi are two completely dif...
1.8M 57.1K 50
Needs to be heavily edited lmao Now, I'm alone with the beast . He stares into my soul causing me to gulp. "You're going to do something for me." He...
34.4K 760 25
Naomi Moreno and William Luther, too different souls with two different personalities. He's cruel, She's sweet. He's arrogant, She's modest. He's...
211K 13.1K 38
"So, let me get this straight. You stomped all over his paperwork?" She started. "Not intentionally, but yes," I confirmed it. "Threw a drink in hi...