Exploring Westernesse [ Lord...

By Silmarilz1701

#1 in Silmarillion, #1 in Caranthir, #1 in Elrohir Third Installment of The Fëanoriel Chronicles. - * - *... More

EXPLORING WESTERNESSE
Reunited
Tirion Upon Túna
Scarlet Hair
Power in the Deep
Soaring
Festivities
Journey to Ilmarin
Ultimate Beauty
House of the Handmaiden
Sea Light
Power of the Deep
Lórellin
Lament by Moonlight
The Great Hunter
Lady of Tears
On the Road Again
The Weaver
Russandol
Finwë's Legacy
The Daughters
Herald of Manwë
Dinner for Five
An Homage
The House of Old Friends
In Need of Adventure
Gifts for the Travellers
Fire and Stone
A New Face
Same Eyes
Family
PART TWO
Crossed Swords

The Eagle Guard

269 13 8
By Silmarilz1701

Míril and Elrohir found themselves given a beautiful room overlooking the clouds. When the clouds moved, Tirion was in sight down below. The room was painted a very pale, grey blue. It created a relaxed atmosphere, and the marble columns at the head of the grand, king sized bed completed the look.

Míril looked out over the horizon. "I never would have imagined this, Elrohir. Not in a million years."

"Truly," her husband said, standing beside her as they overlooked the clouds. "It is miraculous here."

Moments later, a knock sounded on their door. As Elrohir opened it, he found Finrod and Maglor standing there. Míril didn't catch the details of what was said but gathered that everyone was heading to the Feasting Hall for drinks and fellowship.

"Míril, love, would you care to join them?" Elrohir asked her, turning to his wife.

She smiled, still watching the sky. She turned around and nodded. "Indeed!" Míril slipped her feet back into her shoes and they caught up with the others.

The blue rugs on the white marble floor added a warmth to the hallways that was lacking otherwise. As Elrohir, Míril, Finrod, Fingon, Maglor, Elladan, and Amarië made their way to the Feasting Hall of the inn, Míril looked at the hanging tapestries. There was one that caught her eye in particular. It was a tapestry depicting a beautiful woman and a tall, silver haired elf atop a hill and surrounded by trees. Above them were a thousand shining stars.

"What is this one?" Míril asked inquisitively. "It is beautiful!"

"That is a depiction of Lady Melian and Lord Elwë at their first meeting," Maglor told her.

Míril nodded and they turned the corner into the hall. It had immensely high ceilings and many tables. The Feasting Hall was populated by several elves tonight, but one stood out in particular.

"Glorfindel!" Fingon called to him as they caught sight of the golden haired elven warrior.

The elf looked over from where he sat talking with two silver haired elven men. He smiled and raised a hand in greeting. He mentioned something to his companions. They all stood and gestured for the newcomers to join them.

"Greetings, friends," Glorfindel nodded and bowed his head. "May I introduce to Elladan, Elrohir and Míril to my friends, Haldanáro and Carmegil."

"Greetings, Lords," all three said as they bowed before the grand warriors.

"Carmegil," murmured Míril. "That's Sindarin."

He nodded to her. "Yes. I was an elf first of Doriath and then of Mirkwood until the end of the War of the Ring. I was King Oropher's captain."

"Indeed?" Elrohir nodded. "I remember stories of you told in Rivendell and Lothlorien. A great warrior with silver hair."

Carmegil chuckled. "That would be me, yes."

"Míril, Elladan, Elrohir," bowed Haldanáro, "It is an honor to meet the bearers of a Silmaril. Few can accomplish that feat."

"Thank you, lord," Elladan smiled.

Finrod interrupted their pleasantries. "These three men, they are members of the Eagle Guard."

"Eagle Guard?" asked Míril excitedly. "What is the Eagle Guard?"

"Only the finest warriors in all of Valinor and Middle Earth!" Fingon revealed to them quickly. "10,000 strong at all times. Made up of Teleri, Sindar, Vanyar, and Noldor together, led by Eonwë, herald of Manwë."

"We had the privilege of being trained by one of them?" breathed Míril in surprise as she looked fondly and in awe upon Glorfindel.

"Yes," he bowed with a smile. "I have been a member of the Guard for many a millennia. And it was my honor to train the house of Elrond and their companions."

"I should like to meet Lord Eonwë," Míril decided aloud.

Glorfindel nodded with a smirk. "He is quite looking forward to meeting two of you. Míril, you are one of them."

Elladan and Elrohir exchanged worried and curious glances. Míril chuckled at her friends' plight and turned back to the elven warriors as the twins began bickering with one another.

Haldanáro spoke up with a smile, distracting them. "Glorfindel jests, friends! But I warn you, do not start a story with Eonwë and expect to finish in less than several hours. He asks many questions."

Carmegil snorted. "Truer words were never spoken in Arda." He took a sip of the red wine he held.

The trio hadn't realized the others had disappeared until they returned bearing wine goblets.

"Come let us a drink a little," Fingon grinned as he raised his cup to the sky. "A toast, to those we've lost."

Everyone held up their cups to the sky and they shared an intense moment of silence. The Telerin Haldanáro thought of his friends, slaughtered at the beaches and docks of Alqualondë, Glorfindel made only thought to his other companion, Ecthelion, one time Eagle Guard member. The other Noldor had only minds for their family members, long awaiting release from the Halls. Míril's mind went to her children.

At last they sat, all at the table to enjoy themselves. A young elf brought over some sweets for them to nibble on as they talked. Before long however, Míril grew weary. All the talk of battles did two things to her. On the one hand, she thirsted to have a sword in her grasp again. She wanted to practice her swordplay desperately. But on the other, it made her weary and sad. It reminded her of all she had lost.

She remembered many years ago, nearly forty years back, something Maglor had said to her.

"Do you know what I hear when I listen to these crashing waves?"

Míril shrugged. "Music? Voices? That is what comes to my mind."

He gave a bitterly rueful half smile. "That is because you are pure- for now."

He turned to her swiftly, a fierce expression on his face. "No, Míril Fëanoriel! When I hear the waves, I hear the screams of dying children, the cries of wounded mothers. I see in my mind the blood that I spilled because of my vengeance. I blocked it out at the time, made myself strong with my anger. But afterwards, it rushes in just like these waves. It consumes you!"

Míril took a step back from him. She saw in his eyes a pain that she hoped to never see again. It frightened her. *

While Míril hadn't committed the treasonous acts that Maglor once had, she was tired of death. She was haunted by the hate filled eyes of her youngest daughter, and her mind would not allow her to forget the pain.

When her mind finally wandered back to the conversation, she found Calmegil telling a story about his own part in the War of the Ring.

"I told Nimwing to hurry up and help me. Youths these days. Always need poking and prodding," he shook his head, taking another drink. "We managed to get to the Elvenking in time and banished Khamûl from Mirkwood. Not sure where he ended up though."

Míril felt a smile tugging at her lips at the irony. "He ended up fighting me!"

Carmegil also smirked. "Is that so? Well, I'm glad you did away with him."

"You can thank Elrohir for that one," Míril shrugged. "Khamûl almost killed me in my rage."

They continued to talk for another hour. When at last there were but a couple hours before dawn, the half elves retired to bed to grab just a few hours' sleep. They bitterly said goodbye, not wanting to leave the joyous hall. It had been a wonderful night.

A/N: * Flashback from The Other Ranger: Chapter 89: Cannot or Will Not

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

43.6K 2.7K 36
Official Wattpad Tolkien Fanfic Top ranked #1 in Silmarillion, #1 in Tolkien Top 10 in Silmarillion from 2018-2024 Top ranked #1 in Fingon, #1 in Mae...
123K 4.6K 23
*Complete* A Lord of the Rings FanFiction A Daughters of Middle Earth Story Formerly Titled "Some Things are Meant to Endure" The only daughter o...
336K 13K 74
Book One "From the time we are born we start making choices. At the time when we are young we learned that our choices come with consequences. Some a...
48.6K 1.6K 50
After surviving a terrible attack, Nesseldë finds herself alone in a world ensnared by an ever-growing darkness. She is close to forsaking Middle-ea...