The Endless Search for the Pe...

By liwwrites

This is book 2, of The Endless Search for the Perfect Pitch. Previously, Liana Webb had made the US Women's N... More

Chapter 1: MLS SUPERDRAFT
Chapter 2: NWSL Draft Day
Chapter 3: Bowlerama
Chapter 4: New Place, Same Game
Chapter 5: Back to the Basics
Chapter 6: Fresh Start
Chapter 7: Moving Day
Chapter 8: Back at Camp
Chapter 9: The Hunt is On
Chapter 10: GAME DAY!!
Chapter 11: Switzerland
Chapter 12: Partay
Chapter 13: Tough, Fought Battle
Chapter 14: Algarve Cup Championship
Chapter 15a: When Things Went from Bad to Worse
Author's Note
Chapter 15b: I'm Calling it Quits
Chapter 16: Getcha Head in the Game
Chapter 17: World Cup or Bust
MUST READ!!
Chapter 18: Mother's Day Shenanigans
Chapter 19: I'm So Proud of You
Chapter 20: We'll Bounce Back
Chapter 21: It's Nice to Meet Ya
Chapter 22: We're Goin' to Canada
Chapter 23: One Down
Chapter 24: Lifesaver
Chapter 25: You're a Superstar
Chapter 27: You are Simply Amazing
Chapter 28: We're Goin' to the Ship!
Chapter 29: We Are the Champions
Chapter 30: Third Star
Chapter 31: LA Live Craziness
Chapter 32: I'm Not Ready
Chapter 33: The Newest Member of the Fam
Chapter 34: #MillerPartyof2
READ THIS!!!
Chapter 35: For the First Time
Chapter 36: Hey, I'm Going to be Okay

Chapter 26: Be Proud of Yourself

295 11 1
By liwwrites

June 22, 2015

"Wake up!" Morgan yelled and shook me awake. This trip I was rooming with Moe. The rooms were all switched up again.

"Five more." I said and covered my head with my pillow. The day after Nigeria we recovered in the morning and then left for Edmonton in the afternoon. We arrived just in time to watch the last few group stage matches. We found out that we were going to play Colombia in the first round.  The next few days were training days with optional lifting sessions. It was busy and exhausting.

After five minutes on the dot, Morgan started shoving me again. "Okay, okay. I'm up." I rolled out of bed and changed into a pair of leggings and a tank. I threw on a pair of flip flops and called out to Morgan. She had already left. It was her turn for coffee. I think she decided on Coffee Bureau.

I went to Julie's room and texted her. I didn't want to wake, Hope I think. I think J was rooming with Hope.

me : come on let's go

J🔥🍍☕️: chill

A few second later the door opened revealing Hope.

"What are you doing up?" I asked. She brushed past me and shut the door. "You know she can still get out." I said. She still just stood there quiet. "Okay, you can speak dufus."

"Does she hate me?" Hope finally lets out with a worried expression.

"Who? J? No! Why would she?" I asked.

"She acts like it."

"Hope. Lighten up. You're intimidating. Go easy on her. She admires you." I said.

Then Julie opened the door and walked out. "Oh, sorry Hope. I didn't mean to wake you." She said.

"It's all good. Have fun." She said and smiled.

We left Hope and walked down to the lobby. Morgan was waiting with three coffees in hand.

"About time. They were getting cold." She said.

"Shut it Moe." I said and took mine.

"Dude. It's real. This is so fun. I am so excited." J said.

"I second that." I said.

"Agreed." Morgan added.

We were there until breakfast. We were going straight into the team room. I started to walk behind the duo when I heard, "Hey Li. Wait up."

I turned around. It was a Lauren Holiday. "Hey Chens." I said.

"How are you?" She asked.

"I'm good. But I know you didn't call me over to ask me how I was."

"What can't a good friend ask how her friend is doing?" She asked.

"Yes. But I know you better than that. What is your real question?" I asked back.

"It's not a question. I just wanted to say that you kicked butt last game and I can't wait to see how this one goes for you."

"Thank you Lauren. I appreciate it. I'm just trying to do all I can to glorify Him." I said.

"I know. And I think you're doing a pretty good job."

"Come on. I'm starving."

We went into the team room. We were one of the last few there. Alex and Ashlyn were the last to walk in. I grabbed a plate and then sat beside Kelley.

"Hey." I said.

"Hey. I miss you."

"Kel, I saw you yesterday. You were the last person I saw yesterday."

"So."

"Okay. Whatever."

The chat was lighthearted and fun. We liked to be calm and collected going into our games. Tobin and I always tried to keep the mood light and fun. If there were team awards, we'd definitely get the clowns of the team.

After breakfast we all split. I went out on a jog. After my jog I walked up to my room. I took a shower and changed into a pair of Nike sweats and a tank. I halfway dried my hair and I went to it's naturally wavy self. I'd have to straighten it before I left. I grabbed my laptop and turned on my Beats Pill. I hooked it up to my phone and turned on my World Cup playlist on Spotify. I then went to Nike.com. I wanted some new threads.

"Hey Li." Morgan said when she walked in.

"Hey." I said back.

"Whatcha doin?"

"Shopping."

"For?"

"Clothes."

"Okay, Miss. One Word Answers. I'll leave you alone." She said. She started to walk out of the room.

"Yo, I never said that." I yelled after her.

"Enlighten me."

"I was in the middle of something." I said.

"Whatever." She rolled her eyes and then plopped herself on my bed.

I was currently looking for stuff for my wedding. I'd be getting stuff from Nike anyday now.  Anything from decorations to food options. I had a lot of this stuff figured out, but I kept seeing things that I wanted to change. Ben and I had decided that we wouldn't have a buffet style dinner. We'd have people serve the food. We both knew it was going to be expensive but it's a one time, once in a lifetime, best day of our lives kinda event. I wanted 'Be Our Guest' to play. We decided on our cake and the general decorations. It was going to be a cute rustic beach wedding. I was so excited. We still needed the party favors. I had no idea what to do for them. This summer was going by so fast. I loved summer and it was already a month in. I couldn't wait to hoist the trophy though. I couldn't wait to see my future with this team. I couldn't wait for my wedding and the honeymoon. We had it narrowed down to three locations: Bora Bora, the Maldives, and the Bahamas. I had been to the Bahamas for the marine biology trip in high school. And Ben and I went to Bora Bora for a trip once. Ben had let me make the executive decision, so I chose the Maldives. I have been wanting to go there since I could remember. It's such a tropical and exotic location.

The game was at six. Ben said he was going to come over before I left. I'd assume that we were going to have lunch together. I had already scoped out the restaurant situation. We were going to Sabor. Morgan was in and out. She was a bit restless.

Around noon there was a knock at the door. I went to answer it. I opened the door revealing just the person I was waiting for. "Well hey." I said.

"Hey." Ben said and walked in.

"I'll changed and then we can go. I'm starving."

I switched outfits. I walked out in a pair of jeans, a OneCrown Apparel tshirt and my converse. "Where to ?" He asked.

"I was thinking this place called Sabor."

"Oh yeah. I know where it is. I passed it on my way."

We went there. It was a nice upscale restaurant. We got a seat by the window. I ordered a tomato & cheese panini with the soup of the day. Ben got gnocchi. After we ate we went on a drive around the city. Ben had his country, well mostly my song choices, playlist on. Before He Cheats by Carrie Underwood came on.

"Did you think about doing that?" He asked referring to our little incident.

"No. But I did listen to this song a lot. I love Carrie." I said.

"I know. I'm trying to get a time when we can go see her."

"It might not be soon. But I promise we'll get seats on the floor." He said and smiled.

"You're the best."

"I try to be. But you are simply amazing."

"I'm liking the scuff and the longer hair. But I hope you are going to get it cut before our wedding." I said.

"What you don't like my man bun?" He asked puzzled.

"I do. I just would rather not for our wedding."

"I know. I'm planning on growing it all out and not shaving for the time being and then when it gets time to get married I'll shave it all off."

"No! Stop. You know what I mean."

"I do. But you should pick out what my facial hair and hairstyle should be."

"You really think so?" I asked. "I trust your judgement."

"Baby. I know you already have your idea of what I'm going to look like. I don't care. I know you'll pick something good." He said.

He was right. I already had different hairstyles picked out for him. He was always really good about wanting to please me. And that's because he had a rough life growing up. There were times where he'd come over in the middle of the night, out of breath and shaking from running to my house. It was well over five miles. He watched his mom be abused and broken. She had no say in the household. There was one day when he told me that one day, he'd build his mom and younger brother a house and they could get away from his father. He did just that. Ben was always one to keep his word. He spent his whole summer one year building this house. It was beautiful. That was their safe haven.

"What are you thinking about?" He asked.

"Nothing."

"Oh, don't give me that. I can see those wheels turning in that big brain of yours." He said and smiled.

"Fine. I was just thinking about you and how out of all that you went through you became this wonderful man of God."

"I believe it was all you. I don't think I'd be here if it wasn't for you. Honestly. That's the truth."

"You're amazing."

We drove back to the hotel. I had to get ready for the next game. I was pumped. I couldn't wait. I ran up to my hotel room. Morgan was chilling on her bed. I threw myself on mine and just laid there for a few minutes. Around 3:30 I straightened my hair and then changed into my travel gear and went down to the trainers' room. I grabbed my bag along with getting my ankle taped. I grabbed a couple BodyArmor drinks and then went to the lobby. Tobin and I juggled until the bus arrived.

We walked out and were surrounded by fans. There was a tape creating a path for us to walk through. I grabbed my seat with Kelley and waited to get moving. Once we arrived at the stadium, we all got out and went to the locker room. I took my time and did everything mostly the same. Now it was just habit.

After warmups concluded we jogged into the locker room. We all changed into our uniforms. I fixed my headband and went out with the starters. We had Hope and Ali, Julie, Becky, and Kling in the back. Megan, Cheney, Carli and I were in the middle. And Alex and Abby were up front. Kelley and I did our handshake before I jogged to the opposite side of the field. Personally I liked being on the opposite side of the coaches. I liked to feel the fans and I personally, used their energy to give energy to my game. It was so inspiring to see all the fans come out. I fed of their positive energy. Especially seeing my fans, was incredibly humbling. I was so blessed especially to be a newbie. You could say I loved it. I loved being their role model. It kept me in line and it kept me humble.

The whistle blew and it was game time.

We were the dominate team. We were playing strong team on the field. Right from the get go Alex fed me a short pass into the 18. I didn't think twice and shot the ball towards the net with my left foot, making sure I leaned over the ball to drive it. It was powerful enough to bounce off the keeper and Abby slid into the ball and it went in. But it was offsides. Man did I hate that call when it was against us. Abby had another attempt. She got a ball from Alex and took a one touch volley and the keeper got a firm hand on it to put it back into the playing field before it was finally cleared. Lauren had a bad tackle covering my ass. I had gotten beat a little and I was up too far. When the ball was outletted, I had to sprint to catch up and I couldn't. Lauren stepped in a little too hard and earned a yellow. This one meant she had to sit out the next game if there was one. I hated that.

A little later Lauren sent a high cross. Alex was able to head it down towards goal, but the keeper got a hand on it to send it out. Right before the half Megan earned herself a yellow card. That was also her second of the tournament, so she would have to sit out with Lauren. We were falling by the minute. But it wasn't as bad as Columbia. In the second half, Megan sent a long ball to Alex. Alex collected and took off towards goal. She took one touch around the rushing keeper, but the keep made a bad tackle and earned a straight red. She was sent off and the third string keeper was put in. They were down a man. Abby went to take the PK. She was a little overconfident I guess, because she shanked it. It went wide and high to the left of the goal. It was still nil, nil.

Alex was our saving grace. Alex made a quick pass to Lauren to hit Ali, who then passed it back to Alex. She took a few touches towards the endline. I was waiting on the back post. But somehow at that awkward angle she found the net. The ball bounced off the keeper's hand and into the net. We all ran to her and gave her hugs and high fives. Then Kling found Megan and she pulled some moves and earned a foul in the box resulting in another PK. This time it was Carli who took it. She nailed it in, no problem. We were on a high. We were pumped and could taste the next game. Lauren had the ball and I ran toward the corner. I called flag and she sent it to me. I sent a cross into the back post. Alex was there. I followed my cross and she knew I would. She passed it back in the air to the place I was running. It was lower than I had wanted, but I would make it work. I extended off and as I dove I redirected the ball with my head to hit the back of the net. Goal. I did it again. I immediately picked myself off the ground and ran and jumped into Alex's arms. The team all ran up and surrounded us. I looked for Ben in the stands. He was cheering along with my family. I pointed to him and blew him a kiss. Then I ran back to the half line. I gave my signature silent goal celebration- a recognition to God. I pointed up and smiled big.

That was the game. 3-0. I was so happy. I couldn't believe it. I was greeted with a huge hug from Kelley!

"You are simply amazing!" She yelled.

"Thank you."

"Great game kiddo!" Hope yelled and pulled me into a hug.

"Thanks Hope."

We made our way to the locker room. I was ready to leave honestly. I was really ready to see my friends and family. Tomorrow we would leave for Ottawa. I was very excited to play again. I was sad though. Lauren and Megan picked up their second yellow card, so they would have to sit up in the stands for the next game against China.

I took a quick shower and threw my hair into a messy bun. Then I put on my travel stuff again. I sat in my locker until Kelley was ready.

"Let's get out of here." She said.

I got up and followed her out. We went with the team and got on the bus. The ride to the hotel was light and fun. We all were very excited to be moving on. Once we got to the hotel our friends and family were waiting in the large conference room. I ran upstairs to drop my stuff off. Then I bounded down the stairs and burst into the conference room. I stood and tried to find my fam. Once I saw them I ran and jumped into Ben's waiting arms.

He spun me around and said, "You did so great. I'm so proud of you."

"Thank you." I said and he sat me down. I then gave hugs to everyone else.

We all hung out for a while. We played games and talked. We had some family games going. Family against family. They were so much fun. The fam favorite was Guestures. I loved that game and so did the team, once I introduced it to them.

Around 10 we all headed to our rooms and said goodbye. Tomorrow's flight was going to be rough. I loved everything about this tournament, except the constant air time.

After thing quieted down, I went to find Lauren.

"Hey, Chens." I said with a sad face.

"Li."

"What?" I asked.

"Don't beat yourself up."

"Cheney, it was my fault. If I hadn't been up too far I would have been able to take my man. You wouldn't have gotten that yellow. Now you'll sit because of me. I'm so sorry."

"Liana. Stop. It's not your fault. I promise. Besides, you scored. What is that? Two."

"Yes." I said shyly.

"Li, it's nothing to be ashamed of. That is such a good thing. Be proud of it. Be proud of yourself. I love you and in no way am blaming you. Head up. You'll take my place. Fill my shoes for this next game."

"Cheney, I will never be able to fill your shoes. You are so much of a better leader than I am. I simply am a rookie."

"You are a leader. Whether you want to be or not. Take charge. The girls respect you."

"Thank you."

"You are welcome. Now get some sleep. We've got a flight to catch tomorrow."

"Love you."

"Love you too, goodnight."

I left her room and went back to Morgan and I's room. I changed into comfier clothes and crawled into bed. We said goodnight and turned the lights off. It was a long day.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Rush By Alex

Fanfiction

248K 8.3K 50
Stella has been working for to achieve her dream for 20 years, but not all of her family are supportive of her dream. How will Stella landing her dre...
216K 4.3K 50
Taylor is one of the many fans of the US Women's National Team. Her all time favourite player and who she has a little big crush on... Kelley O'Hara...
84.1K 2.3K 54
***BREAKING NEWS*** National team head coach Jill Ellis immeadietley resigned today due to family issues, her successor though is a nobody literally...
83.2K 1.5K 32
The story that shows my life at 16 and being the next top soccer player for the U.S. National team. Fanfiction of the USWNT some AU!