The Soldier's Girl (Under Edi...

By tsfics

Caroline's dad is about to be deployed in Afghanistan, he is in the army and also acts as Caroline's best fri... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
•••••
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Note
The Sequel
Note

Chapter 20

4.9K 137 1
By tsfics

TAYLORS POV

I was in the pick up lane at Caroline's school waiting for her to come out. It was Friday and I was in a little but of a hurry because right after this we needed to get on a plane and head to New York. I finally saw her walk out he door and start walking to my car.

"Hey girl." I said when she got in. I started driving in the direction of the airport, I'd already packed our stuff into the car. I called my mom to see if she was on her way yet and she said she was on board the jet alreay. We were there within a half hour.

"Our bags are in the back." I said when I parked the car. Since we were flying in my private jet we could get on right there and not have to go through the airport. I took my bag and walked a few steps before being called back.

"Taylor! Which one is mine?" Caroline asked looking at the two bags lying in my trunk.

"The black one!" I yelled back over my shoulder. When we were finally on the plane I relaxed a little, I made it in time, now there wasn't anything to worry about. I was sitting with Caroline and my mom was sitting across from us facing our way.

My mom and I talked for the first half of the flight while Caroline was falling asleep beside me. When me and my mom stopped talking I heard her take a breath and look up with squinty eyes.

"You can go sleep up there if you want, it would be more comfortable and you could strech out." I said pointing over to one of the long rows that nobody was sitting in. She got up and headed that way, carrying a blanket with her. I watched to make sure she got there and layed down comfortably before turning back to the conversation with my mom.

Before long we were descending into New York City. The skyscrapers got closer and closer and the plane as a whole got louder, I was surprised Caroline was still asleep through this. We eventually landed and I needed to talk to one of my bodyguards for a second before I got off so my mom said that she would wake Caroline up.

CAROLINE'S POV

I felt a gentle hand on my arm waking me from my sleep. A soft voice was quietly repeating my name, I opened my eyes and expected to see Taylor standing over me, but it was Andrea. If it had been Taylor waking me up I might have taken a little longer to pull myself out of the seat I was laying on, but since it was Andrea I felt like I shouldn't.

I followed Andrea off the plane after looking back at Taylor who was talking to the pilot and a bodyguard. Andrea and I got into a car and the driver drove away from the airport, I guess Taylor was heading a separate way. I didn't feel as safe as I usually do, I was in a big strange city with only my foster mom's mom who I didn't know that well.

We drove for almost an hour until we pulled up next to a hotel and got out. There were paparazzi beginning to arrive, my guess was that Taylor would soon be here. I let my suitcase roll behind me as I followed Andrea up to the front desk, she told them her name and she was given a key card. We were supposed to be on the top floor. The elevator ride up was mostly silent, she probably thought I was shy or not very talkative, which wasn't true, but I just wasn't very comfortable around her alone yet.

When we got to our hotel room we put our bags down and Andrea went into the bathroom. I went over to the window and looked down just in time to see Taylor getting swarmed by paparazzi on her way in.

By the time Andrea was out of the bathroom Taylor was entering our room. Once we had all of our things organized and we got settled Taylor decided to just order room service for supper. We got Chinese food and watched TV while waiting for it to come. Taylor and I were sitting on the bed and Andrea was sitting on a chair. 13 Going on 30 was playing on the TV and we were all watching intently until there was a knock on the door.

Taylor got up and answered, it was the room service bringing us the Chinese food. Taylor had all of our little boxes and handed one to Andrea then me.

"Here you go, Care." She said as she gave me it. I liked it when she called me that, having a nickname made me feel special and warm inside. We ate right where we were sitting and finished watching the movie. When we were all done and the movie was over I decided that I would get in the shower. I went into the bathroom leaving only Taylor and her mom in the main room.

Once I was out of the shower I thought I was all set, then after putting only half of my pajamas on I realized that I'd forgotten my shirt in my suitcase, and I sure wasn't about to walk out there shirtless to grab it. I stayed in the bathroom for a while, brushing my hair and wondering what I should do.

Eventually I poked my head out of the door with a towel wrapped around my upper half.

"Taylor?" I called out for her. I heard her ask what was wrong and then I heard footsteps coming my way.

"Will you get me my shirt?" I said quieter when she was standing next to me.

"Yeah." She said while giggling.

"Your pajama shirt?" She asked when she was squatting back in front of my bag. I told her yes and she came back to the door and handed me the shirt with a smirk on her face. I softly laughed before I closed the door behind me again.

That night I was lying in bed drifting off to sleep while Taylor was in the shower and Taylor's mom was on the phone with Taylor's dad at the other end of the room. The tight hotel sheets were warm around my body as I laid curled up in a ball facing the open side of the room. My back was to the wall which was about a foot behind me. From where I was I could see the other half of this bed and the whole next bed, where I was assuming Andrea would sleep. I was already fast asleep by the time Taylor came to bed beside me... But that wouldn't last for long.

Soon I was a bystander on a battlefield once again. I never had the exact same nightmare night to night but what happened in them was always pretty similar. I watched my dad suffer and I couldn't move, although I was sure my outside body was thrashing around in bed. I tried to scream, I tried to do anything so somebody could save my dad. I was all alone watching this all happen, one by one my dad's buddies all fell to ground. I was more scared than ever but a few moments later I found myself sweating and crying in the same hotel bed that I'd fallen asleep in.

I looked around frantically, still kind of in shock. Everything was dark but I felt a soft hand on my body and I heard Taylor's tired voice. I couldn't stop breathing hard and crying so I didn't say anything back to her. I felt movement on her side of the bed and soon the bedside lamp was on.

"Care, what's wrong?" She asked me quietly in a scratchy voice with concerned eyes. I was laying down on my pillow facing her and she was facing me propped up on her elbow, it was around 3am. I didn't answer her because I couldn't calm myself down. I realized that my whole body was shaking. Taylor layed down on her side and moved closer to me so her arm was around my back and my face was in her neck. She held me tighter when she felt me shaking and softly whispered 'shhh'.

"Did you have a bad dream or something?" Taylor asked into my ear. I nodded my head because that's all I could manage. After a minute I'd calmed myself down a little, but I was still pretty shaken up. I have to say it did feel good to have Taylor there to comfort me. When Taylor loosened her grip on me I was able to see past her and realized that I should quiet down because Andrea was sleeping in the next bed.

Taylor turned off the lamp before coming back and protectively slinging her arm around my body. Now everything was dark again but I knew Taylor was still awake because everything I made any type if movement she'd be there and ask me if I was alright.

"Was your bad dream about your dad?" Taylor whispered into my ear as I rolled into her. It was like she read my mind, as soon as she said it I broke down again. This time there were no tears, just all the same crying motions I was so used to. Which signified yes, it was about my father.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Taylor said over and over into my ear.

"I'm here, it's gonna be alright." She whispered while rubbing my back up and down, it sounded cheesy, but it actually calmed me down. Before long I was back to sleep, this time feeling safer than I had before because I was still curled up in a ball against Taylor.

In the morning I woke up to the sound of the shower running, I forced my eyes open and saw Taylor standing up and looking through her suitcase on the other side of the room. I assumed Andrea was the one in the shower. I rolled over into my stomach, I remembered thinking last night that one side of the bed smelled like Taylor and the other smelled like me, now it was all kind of mixed.

"Morning Caroline." I looked up at the sound of my name but Taylor's back was still towards me, I guess she had heard me wake up.

"Good morning." I said back while pulling the covers up over me and taking in their warmth. Taylor was quickly going through the things in her suitcase before she finally pulled out her phone.

"I have to leave for a meeting now or I'm going to be late." Taylor said as she walked quickly toward me. I sat up to hug her and she was bent down so she put her face in my neck.

"I love you." She said as she pulled away.

"Love you Taylor." I said while I pulled the covers back over me and layed down again.

"I'll be back around lunchtime, Care!" She called out before I heard the door to the hotel room shut. Just as she promised she was back by lunchtime, her Andrea and I all had lunch out together before the two of them had to go to another meeting. This time I was left alone in the hotel room until around 4 o'clock when they got back.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97.2K 1.4K 17
***Sequel to What Hurts The Most*** Logan and Caroline Cook have been married now for almost 2 years. Their marriage has had its ups and downs, but...
129K 3.6K 40
Sequel to The Soldier's Girl. Caroline is now a sophomore in high school and has been officially adopted by Taylor. Follow the story as Taylor helps...
477K 8.6K 75
In which a girl at military bootcamp falls in love with her military sergeant named Sir Styles.
8.8K 173 35
What happens when Britts dad comes home drunk one night causing her to become an orphan after one terrible event? Will her idol finally notice her? I...