Blood Runner: Book Three of t...

By drahcirwolf

Joshuan Krayson has been condemned to die for crimes committed before his birth. The Highest King has granted... More

CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
FIRST INTERLUDE
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
SECOND INTERLUDE
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
THIRD INTERLUDE
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR
CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE
CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER FIFTY
CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE
CHAPTER FIFTY-TWO
CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE
CHAPTER FIFTY-FOUR
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

2.2K 205 26
By drahcirwolf

Enfri came out of her tent once she was dressed for the occasion.

She'd put her hair up in three tails to keep it from whipping about her face. Her outfit allowed for good range of motion, though it wasn't particularly comfortable. It was heavier than Jin's armor, with quite a bit more steel. Hardened leather plates, reinforced with bands of metal, covered her more vulnerable areas. The leather was dyed dark green and the metal polished to a bright silver. Bandoliers crossed her chest from either shoulder to her waist, and they had dozens of potion vials and defensive spells tucked within. A pair of goggles with swappable tinted lenses completed the outfit, and Enfri kept them raised on her forehead.

The two women armsmen that had assisted her with getting into the blustering armor followed Enfri out. She wished they'd stop looking at her with those awed expressions. Enfri didn't feel particularly awe-inspiring. In fact, she felt just short of ridiculous. In all her life, she'd never worn anything more protective than a thick apron and leather gloves while tending the scalethorn patches near her old homestead.

Enfri frowned as she surreptitiously felt at her backside. She'd need to have a word with Jin about this outfit she'd commissioned. It was especially snug around her hips. Winds and storms, but Deebee had a point about leggings. Enfri was reluctant to let anyone walk behind her lest they get an eyeful of this indecency.

Deebee, on the other hand, was resplendent. As the empress' dragon, the Storyteller was the first of the mighty to receive a set of the battle-regalia designed by Nooka and Hugin. The crew was in the midst of securing the last plates of polished steel to her harness. There was a segmented breastplate, barding for her legs, and even a polished skullcap. Looking at her, one would be hard-pressed to remember the silver was a scholar and not a warrior.

"More than a little encumbering," Deebee grumbled. "I'll need to give notes to the Artificer and his Lord of Emeralds. Some adjustments are necessary, and if I change forms, it won't carry through the polymorphy."

"Neither would the crew," Enfri pointed out as she came up to Deebee's head. "Can you move alright? It's not too heavy, is it?"

Deebee hummed as she tested moving her wings through a slow flapping motion. The leading edges of her wingspan were now girded with sharpened metal. "I'll get in the air, but I won't be very agile. I suppose I'll be thankful for all this if one of those renegades comes at us." She passed an appraising eye over Enfri's outfit. "I hardly recognize you, love."

Enfri rapped her knuckles against one of the metal shoulder guards. "I don't much recognize myself."

From the way Deebee's brow furrowed with concern, she must have heard the note of sadness creeping into Enfri's tone. "Then let us put an end to this foolery," she said. "Once this day is ours, we'll allow the sky woman to take the empress' place for a time."

Enfri smiled up at Deebee, but she didn't feel it in her heart. The further along this path she walked, the more she was forced to realize that Enfri Page was no more.

Deebee sighed as if she could hear those thoughts. "The crown makes one faceless. I think I understand why that saying weighs on you so much. Allow me to give you a different old saying to consider." She cleared her throat. "If the empress wants to be a herbalist with a garden, she may."

Enfri covered her mouth. "I don't think I've heard that one before."

Deebee affected a shocked expression. "Really? Well, the mighty have said it for centuries, and I challenge any mortal to say otherwise."

Somehow, that managed to drive away some of the gloom taking up residence in Enfri's heart. She placed a hand against Deebee's forearm. "Armor or not, Ban says we're to stay away from any fighting. The idea's to stay mobile and out of reach, not go looking for trouble."

Deebee snorted. "It bothers me that you seem to think I'm the one who needs to hear it."

Enfri pursed her lips. One of these days, she meant to take a tally of which of the two of them had caused more trouble. Then again, Enfri fostered some doubt that any such tally would score in her favor. She was spared from further self-reflection by the arrival of a nobleman in burnished brigandine armor.

Lord Dahvid Corwyn, heir to House Corwyn, approached with a team of laborers. The workmen pulled a large cart equipped with a winch and crane. A pair of clockwork devices that looked rather like oversized crossbows sat in the wagon bed.

"The last of it, Lady Storyteller," Dahvid said. He was a staggeringly tall man, much as his father, Lord Wallace the Corwyn. The Dellish lordling had also invested a large number of alchemical bombs that were carried in cargo nets beneath Deebee's belly.

"Very well," Deebee said. "But mount those in place quickly. We're running short on time."

Dahvid oversaw the workers as they used the crane to hoist the ballistae up to Deebee's shoulders. While the crew bolted the siege engines to their mountings, Lady Kora Mensc tossed a rope ladder down from Deebee's flank for Enfri to climb up.

Kora was a slight woman for an Altieri paladin, which was to say she was still two hands taller than Enfri and muscled like a metal worker. Her full plate and angled helm were lacquered dark green now that she'd sworn her services as a rune knight to House Yora.

"Opal Knight on deck!" Kora shouted as Enfri pulled herself up to Deebee's back.

The thirty crewmen all paused from their work to snap to attention, fists to the center of their chests in salute. They were outfitted in light chain with metal plates on their chests and shoulders. Their open-faced helmets allowed for goggles to go over their eyes when needed. The helmets also had splashes of colored paint to designate a crewman's rank and specialty at a glance. The bombardiers with black paint were afforded a hefty measure of respect, as they'd climb down to the belly nets once Deebee was in the air— a job for only the most courageous of aviators.

Enfri looked them over and felt extremely self-conscious at how they regarded her. On the one hand, Enfri couldn't help but be a little pleased by the attention of so many strapping men and women. On the other, what in the king's name had she ever really done to deserve it? She did her best to stop herself from blushing.

"As you were," Enfri said.

The crew raised their fists in the air and gave a cheer. It was surprising how quickly they'd developed a number of little rituals like this, even though the Arcane Knights had only existed for less than a month. Once they returned to their tasks, they began a rhythmic tune that extolled Deebee's beauty and strength. The blustering lizard tapped a claw in time with the shanty.

Enfri accepted the spear Lady Kora handed her. It was a spellwrought weapon with a leaf-shaped spearhead and an oak haft. It wasn't much taller than Enfri and quite a bit lighter than it looked.

She held on to it loosely with one hand, couching it in the crook of her arm as Ban had taught her. She was getting more comfortable carrying it around, but she still had deep misgivings of actually using it.

The butt end of the spear's haft had a leather counterweight. To accommodate Enfri's temperament, Ban had focused on teaching her forms using that end of the weapon, which were unlikely to cause permanent injuries.

"We'll be underway in no more than five minutes, Your Majesty," Kora said as she walked alongside Enfri to the base of Deebee's neck. "By the look of things, the mighty could use the heart they'd get by seeing their empress in the sky."

Enfri nodded. "Any word from the front lines?"

"Holding for now, Your Majesty," Kora said. "Reserves have been sent to relieve the front. A lot of wounded are coming in, and the surgeon's are hard-pressed to tend them all."

Enfri bit her lip as she looked in the direction of the surgeon tents. If she had her way, that was where she'd be. Even now, she believed she could be of far greater use as a healer than as an Arcane Knight. There was also the worry that Jin might soon be needing treatment in one of those tents. Jin was in the thick of it. With the state she'd been in when they parted ways, the vex sprouts Enfri gave her wouldn't restore enough ether to allow her to cast much more than simple wards.

You are an empress, Shoen berated her. Your place is to lead, not to apply bandages.

Enfri set her jaw. Inwe himself was a healer.

Until he was delivered to a greater destiny.

Arguing with the spooks was pointless. They'd had centuries to stew in their ideals, and Enfri doubted there was anything she could say that could change their minds.

Kora helped Enfri into a harness and made a check of the snap-locks. There was a checklist to go through, and Enfri concentrated on following Hugin's protocols to the letter. Tug on each buckle to make certain they held, secure the snap-locks to each other and pull hard, and check for notched or worn straps. Every knight and crewman checked their own harness and had it double-checked by another.

Enfri judged herself fit to fly, and Kora gave her the all-clear as well.

Deebee's armor had something that looked like a saddle in the rider's position. The saddle had a high back, but that was more to make for a comfortable seat on longer flights. For "tactical flying", as Hugin called it, there were footholds moulded into Deebee's armor, contoured handles wrapped with manta skin, and a braided silk cord for the knight to attach snap-locks. It was far more secure than simply holding onto Deebee's scales. Enfri doubted Deebee could throw her off if she tried.

Far different than how it was done in the old empire, Shoen said. This business of crews and harnesses was unheard of. A single knight rode their dragon into battle.

Well, we do it different, Enfri retorted.

Shoen sounded like his words were being pulled out of him by a mule. Your way is... superior. The manner in which you are besting your aunt's forces makes that apparent.

Enfri didn't know what to think. It almost sounded like Shoen was complimenting her.

You have surprised us today, Shoen admitted. There are numerous reasons Elise is better suited to lead Shan Alee than you are. However, not so many as we once believed. I no longer consider which of you will become the one true empress a certainty.

She supposed that was as close to praise as she'd ever get from the likes of Shoen. Even so, she found that she was a little gratified by what he said.

Stay strong, Enfri.

Don't worry, she thought. I will.

Holding her breath, Enfri took her place. She attached her snap-locks and looked to either side. The crewmen were finished mounting the ballistae to Deebee's shoulders, Lord Dahvid signaled that the alchemical bombs were secured in the belly nets, the lookouts at wings and tail blew their whistles, and Lady Kora reported that all hands were harnessed and secure. The Storyteller's crew awaited Enfri's command.

"Are you ready, love?" Enfri asked.

Deebee crouched low and raised her wings, prepared to kick off. "At your command, my empress."

Enfri took in a deep breath, lifted her spear, and called out at the top of her lungs.

"Take the wind!"

The crew echoed her in a rallying cheer as Deebee hurled herself upwards, They hadn't gone far before Deebee started complaining.

"Blustering heavy," she grumbled. "This will take some getting used to."

"Try some simple turns once we're higher up," Enfri suggested. "When Pacifica and Adar meet up with us, we'll have them lead you through some of the basic formations. That should give us a good measure of how much this slows you down."

"Agreed," Deebee said. "If I thought she'd be willing to, I'd say we should have Reyn swap from Adar to me so she can record my observations."

Enfri doubted there was much chance of Reyn attempting a midair transfer. That she agreed to fly at all was something of a miracle. Enfri wondered if a fear of heights was a common selkie trait or just a Reyn trait.

The lookout at the port wing blew her whistle to signal an approaching friendly dragon. Moments later, Adar rose to fly alongside them. Pacifica raised a hand in greeting, though she was too far away for any words to pass between them. Enfri had to squint to locate Reyn. She was huddled a few paces behind the rider's position. Lady Starra remained with the Ascendent's crew, also.

Deebee and Adar kept away from the aerial battle. In the distance, spells and dragon fire continued to batter against wards. Deebee maintained the span between their little formation and all of that.

Enfri leaned back into her saddle and settled in for a long wait. Here, riding her Storyteller and flying alongside the Ascendent, she was as safe as she was likely to get. Enfri let out a heavy breath. Now that she was in the air, there was nothing left for her to do but wait.

oOo

On their second flight together, Ban realized something he'd failed to notice the last time. Saveen was fast. She didn't much look like she'd be, blunt and thick as she was. Blue dragons had the look of brawlers, but that belied how well their wide heads and strong wings cut through the air like a knife. Saveen's wingspan was disproportionately wide for her size, and even a rune knight in full plate couldn't weigh her down.

The plate was new, the last one damaged beyond repair at the Battle of Mount Vorti. It lacked the crimson markings of a Ruby Knight around the sigils as this suit had never seen flared, red etherlight.

Fitting, Ban thought. I'm not a Ruby, and I'll never be one again. We'll end this as we began, my Huntress. A rune knight and a hostile dragon. Nothing more.

There was no longer room in Ban's heart for grief or regret. He only had one purpose now, and that was to put an end to the slave wearing his beloved dragon's flesh. Ban had already mourned Kimpo. Now, at last, it was time to put an end to it.

"That way," Ban called out, pointing with his half blade. "Bring us over the top of the Artificer. Nooka and Hugin command the knights when I'm away."

"Shouldn't we go after Elise?" Saveen asked.

"Not yet, and not alone." Ban scabbarded the blade and held on tight as Saveen banked towards where Nooka hung back from the fighting. "No insult meant, but I don't mean to throw one dragonet against three Eldest."

"You won't get an argument from me." Her voice lowered to an angry register. "But I wouldn't mind tearing Trell's arm off again."

"Let's leave the dismembering to your elders." Ban waited until Saveen brought them alongside Nooka the Artificer. The crewmen on watch blew quick blasts on their whistles to signal Saveen's approach. Hugin, in the rider position, turned to look and raised a hand in acknowledgement.

Ban blew out sharp breaths to steel himself. "Easy now. This part still makes me a little dizzy."

"Said the man who dived off headfirst the last time we flew together," Saveen muttered.

With a heave, Ban threw himself off Saveen. He fell ten feet to land with a clatter on Nooka's back. The crewmen were quick to toss him a harness and snap-lock. He pulled it around his shoulders and attached himself with practiced ease, then made his way up, climbing along the harness strapped to Nooka's white and green scales. Saveen kept close overhead and exchanged friendly banter with Nooka's crew.

"Marshal," Hugin said in greeting. "Things kicked off a little earlier than planned, didn't they?"

"They shouldn't have kicked off at all," Ban agreed. "Her Majesty all but negotiated a truce with Adeyemi when the renegades floundered it all up. Give me a status."

Hugin pointed to Shan Alee's five formations, each with four dragons. "Haven't downed a one of us. The Corsair and the Sentinel have lost half their crews, and the Peacekeeper is hurting without a bond to draw healing from. Some cuts and bruises, and everyone's losing ether, but we're holding."

"And the renegades?"

"Seven dead, four disabled. They outnumbered us to start, three of them for every two of ours, but we're dead even now. Where's that beast been finding so many dragons?"

"Aggressive conscription, no doubt. She probably brought every last one she has, and most of ours are still back in Ecclesia."

"That's not all," Hugin said. "I don't know where she's been getting these knights of hers, but they're cagey, little cusses. We bloodied their noses, but they're catching wise to how we do things. Aside from one fool Garnet who thought he could take us all on himself, we haven't downed a single dragon with a bond. Some scary, little girl and her rose about suckered Grimdar's entire formation into an ambush."

Ban looked out over the battle. He could see what Hugin was talking about. Elise's dragons were forming up more effectively than they had been, but their execution remained clumsy. They didn't have crews, decent means of communication, or the benefit of a week of intensive drills. Nonetheless, they weren't falling for the same tactics twice.

"Ruffers," Ban said, feeling a slight drain on his ether. "Like the Moonstone I fought at Mount Vorti. Elise bonded back-alley scrappers and street kids."

"Waves," Hugin muttered. "They're pups, but growing up like that learns them adaptability and cunning. I prefer my enemies stupid, not wily like hungry foxes."

"That means we need to cut the head off," Ban said. "We'll take away their bonds when we kill Elise. I want your formation to meet up with Grimdar and Valuris. You'll draw the Watchman and the Inamo-whosit away while the Bastion takes me up the middle to Elise."

"Refer to Draxa as the Seductress, Marshal," Nooka said, speaking up. "It means the same thing, more or less, and it galls her terribly."

Ban and Hugin laughed.

"I'll remember that," Ban said. "Form up on the Gladiator. He can lead us in. Saveen and I will be right behind you."

"As you say, Marshal." Hugin paused, his posture concerned. "And the Huntress?"

"She died a long time ago," Ban said. "Let's send her off with honor."

Hugin nodded then began shouting orders to his crew. Whistles blew in sharp, staccato bursts to relay his commands to the rest of their formation. As three other dragons flew in close, Ban waved for Saveen to drop below Nooka. Once she was underneath him— and he'd set aside a sane man's aversion for stepping into open sky— Ban dropped from Nooka to land on Saveen.

"That doesn't get easier," Ban grumbled as he settled into place.

"I've noticed you knights and your crewmen are a little... different... from other mortals," Saveen said.

"A pack of loons," Ban agreed. "Surefooted, strong grips, and not half a shred of brains between us."

"I don't know," Saveen mused. She let Nooka and his formation pull ahead. "I think you're all awfully brave. How bold you must be to fly when you haven't any wings. The Aleesh aviators are amazing."

"We can't do what we do alone," Ban replied. "The bonds make them stronger, knight and dragon. Without the mighty lifting us up, those crews would be carrying spears on the ground."

She let out a wistful sigh. "I would like to have a Sapphire Knight again. Someday, when you think I'm ready."

"You're well on your way, Saveen," Ban assured her. "I've no doubt you'll get a Sapphire they'll sing songs about. Anyone in mind?"

"No," she said quietly. "No one who'd want to be."

"You mean the blood runner?"

Saveen shook her head and chuckled. "Flames. I put that notion to rest ages ago. It's not important, Marshal. Just a fool girl's fancy that'll never hold water."

"As you say. Take all the time you need to think it over." He scanned the sky, looking for Grimdar's formation. Once they met up, they could make their assault. As he looked around, Saveen matched course with Nooka and the others.

The aerial battle was drifting west, away from the armies. It gave Ban a good view of the situation down below. The armsmen of Yora and Karst were in danger of being surrounded. Their small number of cavalry was doing a fair job of preventing that, but the Melcians had a lot more horses on the field. So far, spellcraft was what kept the Melcian cavalry at bay, but that was a two-edged sword. So long as both forces had arcanists flush with ether, things would continue at a stalemate while the front lines hammered at each other's shield walls.

"We need to finish this quickly," Ban said. "Jin won't be able to hold those lines for much longer. She needs us to give her an opening to pull out through, but we can't spare anyone while the renegades are nipping at our backsides."

He couldn't be sure, but it sounded like Saveen was stifling giggles. Ban was about to ask what he'd said that was so funny when he spotted something further west that made his stomach do a cartwheel.

Large craft began pulling away from the mooring towers within Drok Moran. Ban cursed under his breath as forty vessels launched and set course for the battle. Each had scores of armed aviators, hull-mounted siege engines, and arcanists. King Fen Algara had already sent a large number of soldiers to aid Adeyemi, and now he was deploying the Sky Corps.

"Flames," Saveen breathed. "They don't need dragons to fly."

"We're no match for that," Ban said. "I'd put a dragon against any one of those contraptions, but not the whole floundering Sky Corps."

"What do we do?" Saveen asked, worried.

"Same plan as before, only faster. Whatever we can do, we have to get it done on the first pass. Those airships are just an hour off at best. When they settle overhead, they'll tear the army to shreds. Not to mention anything flying that isn't waving the Nadian colors."

"If we can convince those other dragons to help..." Saveen wrinkled her snout. "I suppose that won't happen."

"If only it could." Ban looked up as a shadow passed over them. "Not while the false empress is breathing."

Grimdar the Gladiator, his wings wide enough to block out the sun, joined with Nooka and brought his flight group with him. Nine dragons, including one precocious dragonet, arranged themselves into an attack formation. Hugin must have given a sending to Knight-Lieutenant Valuris to pass on the plan, because she quickly sent Grimdar to lead the way towards Elise.

"They're coming to stop us," Saveen said. She was clearly unnerved to be at the center of a war between dragons, but she was keeping it out of her voice.

Signal whistles called out the approaching renegades. The mighty on the trailing ends of the formation broke away to deal with them. The attack was only a distraction. A younger male green with a blonde woman rider came hurtling out of the sun's glare like a comet. The green and his Emerald Knight nearly struck Nooka out of the sky. Hugin and Nooka were forced to break away, taking the Vagabond with them to chase off the attacker.

Their numbers were reduced to five, but Grimdar flew dauntlessly onward. Renegades continued to stage hit and run attacks, trying to deflect their charge away from Elise. The Gladiator lashed out, seizing an enemy slate dragon by the neck with one claw as he went. He hurled the slate away while his crew peppered her hide with crossbow bolts.

They were almost to Elise. Ban couldn't make out the riders yet, even with his magic eye sigil. He knew that Garret would be riding Trell, the ruffer Cardin on Draxa, and Elise on Kimpo. It would've been a lie to say he wasn't having second thoughts as they approached. Once he was on top of Kimpo, it would be his ruptured imprint against a sorceress with all the power of a hierarch at her command. Fortunately, he wasn't coming into the fight without a plan.

Tentatively, Ban pushed ether through the runes of his new armor. He'd inscribed sigils for this exact scenario. Adhesion runes within an inverted pentagram were on his palms and soles of his feet. So long as his ether held out, nothing would shake him off Kimpo's hide. Not so long ago, Ban had considered this sigil as a means of scaling sheer walls. He'd dismissed the idea then, but things changed.

The Watchman broke from Elise's formation and charged at them. Ban could make out Garret and his bowler hat even without his magic eye's help.

Saveen flinched beneath Ban.

"Steady," he said. "Our friends have us covered."

"I know," Saveen panted. "It's just... I'm fine."

The Peacekeeper, the Wanderer, and the Bulwark dove at Trell. They erected wards to counter the worst of his and Garret's spellcraft, but they were having less success keeping him contained. The Watchman was swift and could turn on a silver mark. It wouldn't be long before Elise's First Knight made his way back to her side.

Draxa worried Ban more. The Eldest of the ivories was among the strongest dragons alive, and she'd already proven herself a deadly opponent. She came directly at Grimdar as if to impale him on her tusks. Grimdar pulled short and hovered in place to receive her charge, but Draxa inverted and passed beneath him. She furled her wings against her body and dove, picking up terrifying speed. Before she hit the ground, she righted herself and used her momentum to hurl herself towards the southern edge of the battle.

Ban experienced a moment of panic. This was what he'd been afraid would happen. He flared his vocal enhancement sigil and roared at the top of his lungs to Knight-Lieutenant Valuris and Grimdar.

"She's making for the Storyteller," he shouted. "Gladiator, to the empress!"

They didn't waste time on a reply. Grimdar and the remaining dragons followed Draxa in her dive. They'd never catch up to her, but perhaps they could arrive before she overwhelmed Deebee.

Trust them, Ban told himself. Enfri and Deebee won't let some ruffer beat them.

He had his own job to do.

With nothing between Saveen and Kimpo, Ban drew his full blade and held it out to the side.

"Once I board her, you get away from here as fast as you can," Ban commanded.

Saveen looked at him, startled. "Go? Marshal, if I leave you, how will..."

"This is a one way trip for me, Bastion. When you get the chance, tell our beloved I adored her to the end, and I'll kick her spooks' arses on my way Beyond." He clenched his fist to stop his hand from trembling. "And if you see my blue..."

Saveen nodded. "I'll tell her."

Ahead, Kimpo spotted Saveen flying towards her. She snarled and bared her fangs.

Ban caught a brief glimpse of the rider on Kimpo's back and swept every other thought aside but his need to avenge his Huntress. His blood burned with his rage. He hated this part of himself, the side of Ban Karst he wished never existed and believed he'd left behind in his last war. Nashal had warned him. The White Lady spoke true words that Ban would one day become this again. He hadn't wanted to believe it, but fate's bane could only change the future so far. With open arms, Ban embraced the man he once was.

The monster.

Ban flared his sigils. "Bastion!"

At his command, Saveen whipped her body to hurl Ban forward. He flew like a blazing arrow towards his lost Huntress and the beast that had stolen her from him.

Kimpo tried to grab him out of the air. Ban slashed with his full blade, drawing blood and batting her claw out of his path. He struck against her chest and slammed his free hand against her charcoal scales, the adhesion spell binding him in place.

She swatted at him again. Ban kicked out with both feet, sigils still flared as powerfully as he could manage, and thwarted the blow. Recoiling from the strike, Ban got both feet pressed against her chest. He released the sigil on his palm and shouted at the top of his lungs as he took up his sword in both hands and smashed it against her. Kimpo's armored hide protected her, but he'd shattered and dislodged a line of black scales.

Roaring a challenge, Kimpo spun as she rose higher in the air. Ban lowered himself to place a free hand against her again, using three sigils to keep himself from being flung away.

"Where are your words now, faithless dog?" Kimpo shouted. "You show your true self."

"I do!" Ban shouted back. "Black as black gets, slave!"

He heaved himself upwards with one hand. Already, he felt his ether leaving his blood at a dizzying rate. He didn't have long with his sigils flared like this, but if he struck swift and true, he could cripple Kimpo, sending her and her false empress down to smash to the earth below. He grit his teeth as he climbed, waiting for Elise's spellcraft to come to Kimpo's aid.

There was nothing left to lose, nothing to gain but making his failures right. He and Kimpo both died within that mountain pass what felt like centuries ago. A single day bound as one, an eternity apart. Both ended this day. Ban howled with every fiber of anger and hate his scarred soul held. Had his heart been a sword, he'd have ripped it from his chest to strike her down.

As he neared Kimpo's neck, Elise attacked with her sorcery. Spellfire and lightning battered at Ban's armor, piercing his wards and striking through to his flesh. Ban didn't care. Monsters felt no pain.

Kimpo spun once again, and Ban almost lost his grip. One sigil on his palm was all that stood between him and the void. His body flailing, Ban darkened his etherlight but for that one set of lines.

Magic no longer empowered him. It was only the strength of his arm and the steel of his will. Ban pulled himself up the final span to Kimpo's throat.

"Until the Beyond, my Huntress!" He flared his sigils and drove his full blade point first into her flesh.

As the point of his sword met scales, the weapon could withstand no more and broke in two.

It snapped a hand short of the cross guard. Five feet of steel spun away, inflicting no harm. Ban screamed with fury and threw the useless hilt away. He wouldn't give up, not this close to the end. Using all four adhesion sigils, Ban climbed up the final few spans to Kimpo's back. If he couldn't slay Kimpo, he would seize Elise in his arms and throw himself over the side. He'd crush the life out of her before they hit the ground, as he couldn't stomach the idea of leaving the world before that beast's bonds were shattered. He reached Kimpo's back and stood to face her rider. It wasn't Elise.

It was Cardin.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

235 57 58
Who would've thought a simple girl that grew up in the Enchanted Forest. Would end up needing to save the world. This story is about our main charact...
26K 1.7K 26
After a disastrous climb up Half Dome in Yosemite, California -Eoin finds himself taken to a different world than the one he was born into. It's a pl...
181K 15.9K 85
Reyn has nothing but secrets. Everything she is or has ever been becomes another reason to be despised. Born of demons, pursued by justice, and haunt...
70.9K 749 41
Seven years. Short in Elvin time, perhaps, but it can change a life. Lives, even. Doubts and guilt, those inevitable feelings, drove Sophie away fro...