Just a Bit Sweeter

By Juralumin

After Fionna forces her boyfriend Marshall Lee to spend an afternoon with Prince Gumball, he realizes new fee... More

Tastes Sweeter with Icing
Midnight Surprise
Secrets Kept under Lock and Lee
When the Cat's Away, the Boys will Play
Uninvited Visitors
The Truth Spills Out
The Meeting of the Royals
Rumor Has It
Now We're Getting Somewhere
Party Crashers
Destiny
Learning to Let Go
Date Night
Just Go Somewhere Else
Breakfast
The Lonely Prince
Abuse
Nurse Marshall
Putting Out the Flame
It's a Good Thing I Love You
Speaking for the Public (Pt. 1)
Speaking for the Public (Pt. 2)
Where're You Headed
Who is She
Just a Bit Sweeter

Safe and Soundly Sleeping

1.5K 51 12
By Juralumin

The silenced answering machine sat, still holding Fionna's message. Marshall's stomach churned with anxiety. His hand shook as he reached over to delete the missed call, almost sure he was about to throw up. The run to his washroom came almost as fast as the message was deleted, and he nervously emptied the contents of his stomach into the toilet.

The human girl wouldn't let go of the vampire easily, what could he say, his charming good looks always hooked the ladies.

Cake marched inside the candy castle, whistling as she waved at Pepper. "Morning, hon!" The maid bowed, and continued carting around the laundry. The magic cat walked upstairs, searching for her love Lord Monochromicorn. Gumball hummed quite gleefully as he cleaned around his room as Cake peered in. "Hey sugar!" She cheered, walking inside. The prince turned around and waved, the girlfriend of his best friend was a friend to him! "Hello Cake! Lord Monochromicorn is just in the garden, is that what brings you?" Naturally, she nodded, the two were inseparable. She peered around, the prince was always so clean, Fionna could learn a thing or two. "Isn't that Marshall's bass?" Cake mentioned, pointing to the axe resting by the window.

Crap! Gumball thought, his king must have forgotten it last night. "Well, yes, uhm..." Excuses, excuses... the one thing the honest prince was bad at thinking up. "He was... lending it to me... so I could learn to play!" Gumball could almost see the lies wafting through the air, but the cat's sneaky eyes couldn't. "Really? Could you play me some?" Shit.

Cake sat and smiled as Gumball regretfully picked up the axe bass, he was only familure with cooking instruments. The prince smiled nervously as he felt the strings with his fingers. Marshall's swift fingers moved so quickly across them, the cat didn't seem like she had anywhere to go even though her boyfriend was probably waiting for her presence. A piano would've been easier to attempt to play, oh why couldn't Marshall carry around a keyboard at night. Perhaps some strumming would send her off, Gumball thought as he pressed hard against a string. Dragging his thumb along the strings, a sort of soothing sound came out, it reminded him of his king... The prince set the bass aside, there was a time and place for everything. "Cake, Lord will be waiting." Her ears perked up, did she honestly forget the whole reason of coming here? She smiled and ran out the door to the one she awaited.

The phone rang in the candy castle, making Gumball squeak from the sudden noise. He bolted straight for it, tripping over various objects.

"H-Hello?" He spat out with pain, he had the wind knocked out of him by the corner of his table. "Afternoon, Bubba-Gum."

Marshall's voice sounded dry and raspy, but still so sweet into his prince's ear. "Yes, Marshall Lee?" Gumball said, trying to push away his excitement. His hopes were building up, he was eager to see his king once again. "My ghostie friends lent me a movie, you wanna come over and watch it? It's got a warning on the front for people with extreme night terrors." Marshall said snickering, well knowing his prince's interests in movies, but he so wanted to wrap his arms around his candy bae as he trembled in fear. Gumball could already feel the horror rising up in him, he only watched movies with talking animals. "I dunno, Marshall..." He started, rubbing the back of his still pale neck. The king could hear the conflicted tone in his prince's voice, he obviously didn't want to watch the movie. "It's alright, Gumball, maybe some other time." He said, disappointed. Unable to talk anymore, the vampire hung up leaving Gumball once again.

The sky faded into the night as Marshall lied across his couch, images created in his mind of his arms around his Gumball. He blushed, and felt a lonely feeling inside. It hurt... like someone just kicked him in the stomach. His prince was probably at home, eating. Marshall stopped, he hadn't eaten since he threw up that morning. The hunger rose in him like hot bread, the thought made his mouth water. Hell, he could treat himself tonight. Marshall grabbed his wallet and slid it into his back pocket as he imagined a plate full of various foods.

The sun had begun to set, earlier now than in the summer, as Marshall strode through the snow to find someplace to eat. He passed many cafés, too full of people to appeal to him, before he stopped dead in his tracks. One of Gumball's beautiful cakes sat in the window of a bakery... Marshall wasn't in the mood for sweets but his mouth watered at the sight of his prince's work.

"Oh, Marshall! You came here too?" A familiar voice spoke, and he turned around. "We can share a table!" Fionna spoke, happily. A rage rose up in him, the same as when he saw her being ever so careless with Flame Prince. The king prepared to leave, but stopped, as the scent of breads and cakes filled his nostrils and reminded him that he was starving.

"To go, thanks." Marshall snarled as the peppy human waited to order behind him. Tree Trunks grabbed some pastries and set them on the counter, steam rose from them. "Twelve dollars, please and thank ya'!" He spoke, gleefully, as Marshall reached for his wallet. Fionna's hand snaked into his back pocket as she handed it to him, making his head whip around in anger. "Keep 'em away, blondie." Marshall glared at her, as he snatched the wallet away from her and paid the elephant.

"Marshall, please! We need to hang out again!" Fionna began as the king picked up his order and started towards the door.

"No, we really don't." He wasn't in the mood for argument, Marshall just wanted to get home and watch his movie. "C'mon, I know you miss these lumps." She said, trying to lure him back into her arms. The effort was worthless, as Marshall shut the door behind him. It had started to snow, but the vampire couldn't tell the difference between the snow falling onto his face or his tears. He angrily tore a bite off his dinner, and trudged through the white wasteland. Fionna had dropped his heart like a hot plate, and simply swept the broken pieces away. What was Flame Prince to her anyways, Marshall thought. Just a guy willing to mash her? Just another pickle in the jar? Hail began pouring down onto him as he took the last few bites of his meal, his cheeks were cold and felt as though they would crack. The night air hit him, his tear drenched face froze. "Just a bit further..." He continuously told himself.

The king burst through his door, shivering, and stripped off his soaking wet clothes. He was suddenly glad Gumball didn't come, for the walk would have been terrible for him. He wished for a hot shower as he took off his shoes, which were completely soaked. "Y-You're home! Oh glob, you're alright!" Gumball cried out from the kitchen, then ran over and threw his arms around his king. Marshall fell backwards, his prince hugging him closely. "The weater was so bad, I-I thought you'd freeze out there!" He whispered, not letting go of the vampire. Marshall grinned, his teeth still clattering. "Halfway frozen, I'd say." He pressed his cold wet lips against Gumball's, suddenly his drenched socks didn't matter anymore. Gumball leaned back and stood up, extending his arm to help his king. "I came a few hours back, thinking you'd be here..." He said, helping Marshall remove his wet shirt. "There are some clean clothes on your bed... I-I thought I'd wash them for you..." Gumball rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed to be so considerate. He felt like a lovesick teenager, tending to his baby's wound, as he wrapped a blanket around his bad little boy.

Gumball strut out of the kitchen, two cups of steaming tea in his hands. "Warm enough?" He said, handing him one if the cups. "It's camomile, drink it while it's hot." Marshall sneezed and took the mug, blowing on the contents. He felt babied, but the king enjoyed it. Gumball massaged the back of his vampire's neck as he sipped his tea, both a relaxing and warm feeling settled in his stomach at once. The hot drink warmed Mashall's insides, and he could start to feel his eyes droop. Gumball must've brought the tea with him, it seemed like just the thing he'd have lying around. If it were his choice, he'd have set out a couple beers. Setting the empty cup aside, Marshall cloaked his prince with half the blanket and nibbled softly on his sweet neck. Gumball sipped and leaned back, not a single care in his mind but the burning affection for his king. Perhaps the raging storm wasn't so bad after all. "Why'd you come over here..." Marshall murmured, his head leaning on Gumball's shoulder. Gumball kissed him gently and simply shrugged. "I guess I just... wanted to be with you tonight." The truth slipped from his lips, as his face turned cherry. There was a long silence as Gumball sat, one arm wrapped around his king, and Marshall with his eyes shut, his head resting on his prince. "Thank you... for nursing me, Bubba." The vampire finally spoke, almost startling his partner, then silence settled in once again.

It must have been two in the morning by the time Gumball opened his eyes, Marshall's head was snug in his lap as he slept soundly, he looked so adorable. The prince groomed his king's hair with his fingers as he looked around the darkness, everything seemed so tranquil. Funny, Gumball thought, how so much can change in so little time. The fact was if Marshall had been sleeping on his lap one week ago, he would've been kicked out. But now he slept, with Gumball's hand resting in his long black hair. He closed his eyes and leaned back, in attempt to sleep once again. The wind beat upon the house, but they were safe. Safe together.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 166 17
Prince Gumball's Biennial Gumball Ball is coming around the corner and the Prince has invited Fionna to be his special... chef? When Gumball asks Fio...
4.5K 175 25
Prince Gumball, the miraculous scientist. Marshall Lee, the Vampire king and rocker of Aaa. The two throw a slumber party, inviting Fiona and Cake. B...
155K 5.1K 12
Marshall and Gumball discover new things about themselves and each other. This is an Alternate Universe (Earth) fanfiction of Marshall Lee and Prince...
125K 3.6K 21
Prince Bubba Gumball has always been secretly in love with Vampire King Marshall Lee. The vampire king must try to get over his fear of heartbreak a...