Frightened Mate

By Mimiii16

Holly, a young photographer thinks she is navigating life perfectly after a traumatic event, she tries to mov... More

Rewritten
And So It Begins
Catch Up
Meeting in the Cafe
Girl's Night Part 2
Hiking
Author's Note
Apology
A Phone Call
Author's Note
Start of Something Wonderful
The Trees Can Speak
The Trees Can Speak Part 2
Something in the Eyes
There's No One Else
Dinner Party to Remember
A Step Away from Comfort

Girl's Night

9.3K 291 18
By Mimiii16

Sorry it's a bit short. It's been a rough weekend for me haha. There may be a part 2 of this chapter sometime this week to make up for the crappy past two chapters you've gotten! Enjoy!

"Bye Dad!" I shout as I rush out of the house to go meet up with Xan and Chloe.

We'd had a good day together. We avoided talking about schooling, and just joked around. He even asked to see some of my pictures, and it was really nice to show him my work. My dad had his good days and his bad days when it comes to my plans for the future. Today was definitely a good day though. My dad really isn't that bad. He's actually really great, and I'm really happy that I have him around.

I hop in my car and send a quick text to let the girls know that I was just leaving. I was running a bit late. I'm usually only on time when it comes to my sessions. Otherwise I'm always late, and it's something the girls always give me grief for it. I start the car and silently sing hallelujah when it starts with no problem. I put the car in reverse and back out of the garage and then head to where we're going to meet up. We always meet up at Target. We aren't sure why, but it's something that we have always done. We also like to try and drive together when we go places. It used to be because we just liked to rock out to music together, which is still part of it, but almost a year ago, Chloe got hit by a truck and almost died. We don't really like her driving alone too much anymore.

As I drive I can hear my phone buzzing. It's most likely Xan and Chloe texting me to hurry up and I increase my speed slightly. I'm almost there though. Once I get to the top of this hill, Target will be like thirty seconds away. I clear the hill and coast down it until I need to get in the turning lane so I can get into the parking lot. I flip on my signal and switch lanes and then turn into the parking lot. I can see Xan and Chloe's cars parked in the back of the lot and I turn the car in that direction. I pull into a spot next to Xan's car. Usually Xan drives because she's probably the best driver in the group, and they also don't trust my car which is understandable. I put the car in park and turn it off, rushing to get into Xan's car.

"Top up or down?" Xan asks.

I smile for a second, "Obviously down who do you think we are?"

Xan has a convertible, and we try to have it down as much as we possibly can. Last year we had the top down and it was about 40 degrees out. Totally freezing, but completely worth it. I open the back door and sit in the seat behind Chloe. We chat aimlessly as the top goes down.

"Alright, to the mall we go!" Xan cheers.

We let Chloe be in charge of the aux cord as we drive. We sing along as we drive, laughing and having fun.

"Wait guys, I know what song we need to listen to!" Chloe yells over the wind.

The music stops for a moment as she pauses it and finds whatever song she wants to play. I laugh when I hear the song. One of our favorite songs to sing to together is Wannabe by the Spice Girls. It's one of the songs I get really into.

I sing and dance along as well as I'm able to with the seatbelt on. We always get weird looks, which would usually make me get really embarrassed and then stop, but when I'm with them I don't get as embarrassed. I'm so into the song I don't really realize we've stopped at a traffic light. I keep screaming along and dancing to the song, and I laugh as I can hear and see Xan and Chloe laughing and taking a video of me. I flip my hair back and forth to the song and catch sight of the car next to us and stop dead in my tracks.

It's him. My heartbeat stops for a moment before sky rocketing.

"Holly what's wrong?" Chloe laughs.

When I don't answer, she follows my gaze to the car next to us.

"Oh crap. Xan drive. Go now" Chloe urges.

"Uh, I can't. There's a red light" She replies. "Why would I need to go anyways?"

My breathing quickens and my throat tightens and I can feel the fear creeping up inside of me. Xan looks around Chloe and swears. The car speeds up and the car that was beside of us is left behind. The engine revs as Xan speeds to get away.

This can't have happened. He shouldn't be here. Did he recognize me?

I can hear the music playing, but my mind drowns it out as my fears swirl around my head.

"Holls...Holly...Holly!" I feel someone shaking me and my line of thought is broken.

My eyes focus on Xan and Chloe as they are both turned around and looking at me concerned.

"Holly are you okay? What's going on in your mind right now?" Xan asks, resting her hand on my knee.

I take a deep breath and fake a smile.

"I'm okay. I doubt he even recognized me" I say, hoping I was right.

Xan and Chloe share a look, obviously not believing me.

"We don't believe you. But we won't push. When you're ready to talk, we're here to listen." Chloe says.

"Don't worry about it. I don't want this to ruin our first girl's night in so long. So, let's do this" I try to pep myself up.

I run my fingers through my hair and get out of the car. I wait outside the car as I realize Xan still has to put the top back up. The girls are out of the car before I realize it and we head into the mall.

"So, you're telling us that a super-hot guy talked to you, paid for all your food, and then asked for your number and you didn't give it to him?" Chloe asks appalled.

I laugh, "Okay well he could be a creep for all I know! If I see him again, then maybe, but I don't want some random to have my number!"

"Okay, that's fair, but come on! Holls that's such great news!" Xan squeals.

I laugh and roll my eyes, walking around Sephora. I have an addiction to buying make-up and a lot of my paychecks go towards makeup. I just can't help myself. This time I only need new blush so I allow myself to really only go grab the blush and pay. Chloe laughs as she sees me try to avoid swatching and buying more makeup. Luckily, Chloe understands my predicament because she's the same way as me. Unfortunately, she isn't as disciplined as I am and she ended up buying three new things.

We all leave the store after paying and stop in a boutique so Chloe can get the pants she needs. I walk around the store, just eyeing everything. I stop by a dark blue peplum shirt and pull it out. I look at it for a little bit, debating whether I really need it or not.

"Dude just get it, you know you like it and if you don't get it you'll end up obsessing over it until you buy it. I know how you work" Xan says from beside me.

I sigh, knowing she's totally right. I do it a lot actually. I flip over the price tag and pout. It's twenty-five dollars. It isn't too bad, but I usually get my clothes at second-hand stores because they're way cheaper. I groan, knowing that I like it too much to pass it up. I join Chloe at the register and pay for the shirt when it's my turn.

We all walk out of the store, and I stay quiet, listening to Chloe's on-going drama with some guy. I roll my eyes at the way he treats her. I voice my opinion and Xan agrees.

"No, Holly is right. This guy treats you like crap. You can do so much better and you deserve better" Xan backs me up.

"I know, but I just really liked him. I didn't expect him to turn out this way" Chloe admits.

"Well you typically wouldn't think that someone would treat you like that" I say quietly.

I feel their eyes flash to my face, but I stay silent and avoid eye contact.

"Well, if everyone else is done shopping, I think it's time to go bowling" Xan changes the subject.

I look at my watch and see that it's 6:00. By the time we get to the bowling alley it'll be about 6:30, and then we'll probably play a few games.

"Yeah let's do this!" I say happily.

I abruptly turn away from where we had stopped walking and slam into a hard surface, my bags slipping out of my hands and falling to the ground. Before my body can follow them down, I'm grabbed. Sparks emanate from where they touch.

                                                                                "Ugh" I groan.

I look up to see what I ran into and my eyes meet the deep brown eyes from the café.

"You should really be more careful when you walk" Caden chuckles. "One day you may not have me to catch you."

What did you think about this chapter? Leave a comment or vote! What do you all think about the characters so far? 

XOXO

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.8K 525 8
HIS DESTINED MATE -- PUBLISHING He wasn't her mate, and she would never allow herself to be tied down to a man she could never love. She wanted a fa...
1.2M 42.4K 40
After being trapped in a small cell for sixty-two days, Naia wishes for nothing else but to be free. Her luck finally changes when a handsome strange...
149 63 33
Having been in and out of care all her life Amy spends her whole time alone and constantly moving. Making her money though photography and odd labour...
2.2M 37.2K 29
Melissa has moved again because of her heartbroken mother, but now Melissa and her mother are the new pack members to the Riverpack. Melissa is als...