The Sleeper Cells: A Terroris...

By WesleyBryant6

It wasn't supposed to happen. Not today. Not ever. It wasn't just a terrorist attack. It was a war... and th... More

Prologue: Don't Look Back
Chapter 1: Run
Chapter 2: Just The Beginning
Chapter 3: First Blood
Chapter 4: Nowhere to Go
Chapter 5: New Faces, New Threats
Chapter 6: It's Life or Death
Chapter 7: Traitor?
Chapter 8: Ambush
Chapter 9: Rock Bottom
Chapter 10: The Sleepers
Chapter 11: And Just Like That... She's Gone
Chapter 12: Lindsey or Kennedy?
Chapter 13: Something More
Chapter 14: Another Gone
Chapter 15: Torn Apart
Chapter 16: The Breaking Point
Chapter 17: Lindsey's Not Lindsey Anymore
Chapter 18: Too Far Gone
Chapter 19: Hello, Again
Chapter 20: Risks
Chapter 21: Shot
Chapter 22: They're Closer Than You Think
Chapter 23: On The Dark Edge
Chapter 24: Starting Over
Chapter 25: More
Chapter 26: The "Refugee"
Chapter 27: Cheater
Chapter 28: Fight
Chapter 29: You're Not Welcome Here
Chapter 30: The Vote
Chapter 31: Not Over Yet
Chapter 32: The After Party...
A Letter to the Reader
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Chapter 33: "Yes"

147 10 1
By WesleyBryant6

FIVE YEARS LATER

Kennedy and I live with my parents on the sandy west coast. We decided that living where everything happened was...old. We thought a change of scenery, a change in atmosphere was what we needed. We were right.

Next door is my uncle Kris. He's doing just fine. I think there might be a special girl in his life now. In fact, I think I see him going on dates some nights. Kennedy has no idea that I'm going to propose to her tomorrow. I'm going to take her to the beach and have every comfort item sitting on a reserved section. I'll drop to one knee and ask for her hand in marriage.

Mika and Luke are far ahead of us though. They're married now! The wedding was beautiful. It was shades of lavender and white, and she looked happier than I've ever seen her. They've been married for almost a year and a half now. They live in central Vista in a house next to the most beautiful river in the country. Their home is decorated with Luke's photographs that he sells for at least five figures these days. We video-chat on occasion. And last week, she dropped the news that they are expecting a baby!

And Owen...he's been working harder than any of us. He wrote a book about our adventures in the sleeper zone, and it was instantly accepted by a publisher and hit the top of the charts. He's a rich best-seller. He doesn't have to, nor do we ask, but he sends money to the rest of us every month. He says if it wasn't for us, he wouldn't be here. He's now a flashy public figure, but he's also candid. He's met talk show hosts all across the country. Owen Proctor is now a household name. Owen the famous historian and public figure. I still laugh when someone says his name. It's still hard to believe that he is who he is now. He doesn't act any different either. Still the same old Owen.

I guess Noah and Lindsey are still Noah and Lindsey. I haven't seen or spoken to either of them since Lindsey returned. I don't want to either.

Titus. I don't know anything about Titus. The last we saw him was that night when the sleepers took him away. I don't know if he's even alive. With the privacy laws that were set into place years ago, it's hard to get information on survivors. We still hope that one day a notification will come to our doorstep. Kennedy still checks every day. I know Kris does, too.

Nasom moved out to the west coast with us. He's not currently living here though. He's gone off to a university to become a nurse.

__________

The next day, I wait on the beach for Kennedy to arrive. I'm standing next to a bleached white chair covered in cotton. She's coming this way, kicking the sand up with every step. Her emerald dress flows in the wind following the same path of her glistening brown hair. I twirl the ring's velvet box in my jacket pocket. I know she'll love the platinum silver rock on the band. It's huge and draws attention the same way her eyes do.

When she gets close enough, she can tell by the way I'm nervously swaying what I'm about to do. She already cups her face and starts to cry. I lean down in the sand on one knee and show her the diamond prism.

"Yes."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3K 150 10
A year later after a failed assassination attempt and the destruction of one of the most powerful hidden organizations in the world, Eric Mason is fo...
78 1 16
This is the story of Darcy Clark who lost everything after a mysterious bomb exploded. Only the teenagers survived. Darcy found a save heaven. Or so...
82.1K 5.6K 30
Centuries after the Fall, the United States has been wiped away. The crumbling remains of the great American empire are home now only to savage, lawl...
19.6K 783 30
What happens when your worst nightmare becomes a reality? What happens when fairy tales come true? And not just the good ones. Arielle has grown up h...