British Exchange Agent

By JoannaNGrace

#3 in Action - 3.07.2018 #5 in Spy - 22.02.2019 Kayla is an expert at finding globally wanted criminals. She... More

Author's Note
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Authors Note Update - Please Read!

Chapter 1

32.9K 861 528
By JoannaNGrace

"No."

His eyes narrowed slightly and he leaned forward, resting his arms on his desk.

"No?"

Grant's voice was tauntingly low. I took my feet off the desk and sat up straighter, staring him down.

"Did I stutter?"

He kept my gaze for a minute, before sitting back and sighing. I watched Grant carefully as he picked up a pen from the table and tapped it on the table; fidgeting was his weakness.

"So, after three years of service, you are refusing to perform an assignment?" He asked, causing me to purse my lips. I shook my head.

"My speciality is hunting down criminals – not becoming a high school student. What did you expect? That I would just jump on the plane, arrive in America and start painting my nails in a sleepover?" I retorted, my eyes glacier. Grant simply put down the pen and rolled his eyes - much to my annoyance.

"Don't be so dramatic, Kayla. You've been on other assignments where you have had to travel - you can go as an exchange student. It's all been arranged; your host family is expecting you later today. Besides, if all goes to plan you can return to Britain after a few weeks." He persuaded, his tone slightly lighter but still tired. My eyebrows shot up.

"A few weeks?" I exclaimed, clenching my jaw. "You'd have to drug me first."

Grant sent me a flat look.

"You've been to the Sahara desert, Kayla - I'm sure you'll survive in America."

He looked up as I growled.

"But remember, you are not going to make friends, alright? Your job is only to track down Cyrus's father - not to become some social dragonfly." He said firmly. I narrowed my eyes.

"Butterfly. It's social butterfly, Grant."

He shot me an amused smile.

"No-one could ever call you a butterfly, Kayla."

I shot him a sarcastic smile, picking up my backpack and stalking towards the door. Just before I slammed it shut, I turned around.

"And Grant?" I called. "Nobody could ever accuse me of becoming social."

I strode away to the sound of laughter ringing in my ears, amusement tugging at my own lips. As I turned the corner to my locker, my grin dissipated.

My assignment.

It was quite simple, really - amateur even. All I had to do was go to America posing as an exchange student, to locate 'Cyrus's' father, who just happened to be a wanted criminal in five different countries.

I would have been insulted by the simplicity if I wasn't so put out.

I placed my hand on the scanner of my locker, waiting until it beeped in acceptance before ripping it open.

I opened my custom-made backpack - provided by the agency - and removed my used equipment, replacing it with a dart gun (harmless, really) a taser, a couple of laser pens, and a few other essentials.

I almost dropped my recording hair grip in surprise when a voice spoke from behind me.

"Going anywhere nice?"

I spun around to face my brother, my face lighting up. He chuckled when I flung myself into his arms, squeezing him tightly.

"Trey! Where have you been?" I exclaimed, earning me a few glares from fellow agents. I ignored them and jumped out of Trey's arms. He grinned.

"Australia, mate."

I rolled my eyes at his pathetic attempt of an accent.

"Oh, of course - why didn't I think to look there? Should have popped in on Friday."

He laughed and hugged me again.

"I've missed you too, little sis. I was going to suggest we grab a drink to catch up but it seems you aren't gonna have time." He frowned. I let out a frustrated growl, lowering my voice as I glanced at the other agents.

"I'm being sent undercover. As a high school student." My features turned dark causing Trey to frown.

"What are you complaining about? School's not that bad."

"That's because you were one of the popular clones."

"Haha." He responded dryly. "How hilarious."

"I was being serious." I muttered. He shook his head.

"Trust me, you'll love it there. It's not like you've got to stick out school forever, right?"

"Take my assignment then - or, better yet, hand it over to Jack or something." I suggested. He rolled his eyes at me.

"Don't be an idiot - you'll have a great time! I'll probably be likely to see you when you get back, okay?"

I raised my eyebrow.

"How reassuring."

He ruffled my hair, which was quite a feat considering that it was in a tight ponytail, and gave me one last hug before pulling away.

"You'll be fine, Kay - just do what you do best." He winked. I pretended to frown.

"Eat chocolate?"

Trey shook his head slowly as he began to walk away.

"It's kick butt, Kay Kay. How did you end up here again?"

"My wit and charm?" I joked. He dodged around an agent behind him, shooting me a cheeky grin.

"Sure, let's go with that."

I waved as he disappeared into the sea of people, my expression turning blank again as the agents around me watched curiously. I zipped up my backpack and slammed my locker shut.

I adjusted the strap on my shoulder as I approached the desk to an organiser, sighing again when I saw the queue in front of me.

"You would have thought that an agency which prides itself on performance would be a little more efficient." I muttered underneath my breath. The girl in front of me glanced over her shoulder.

"Got that right - I've been waiting for twenty minutes now."

I groaned.

"Are you serious?"

She turned around fully this time, nodding. Her pitch black glasses matched her tight leather jacket, complementing her bright red hair.

"Yep - but that's better than last week. I'm Cameron, by the way."

"Kayla. Nice to meet you."

We shook hands and exchanged smiles.

"I'd tell you where I was going, but I'd probably have to kill you." She laughed easily. I raised my eyebrow.

"I'd like to see you try."

Her laughter faded, her eyes narrowing slightly.

"Excuse me?"

You're excused.

"Do you know who I am?" She snapped, her voice threatening. Woah, two faces much. My bored expression seemed to rile her even more.

"Can't say that I do." I replied, my voice sugary sweet. Cameron's eyes flashed.

"I came third place in last years agent tests." Her head flicked up a little higher, her voice smug.

Be careful of who you make your enemy - I came first.

Instead of saying what was on my mind, I simply gave her a sarcastic smile.

"Good for you." I drawled.

She glared at me, her lip trembling in rage, before spinning around. Her hair would have wacked me in the eye if I hadn't dodged it just in time. Still got those reflexes.

Cameron continued to ignore me as we edged closer to the desk. When she approached the woman behind it, I made sure to pay a little more attention.

"Cameron Simone."

I pretended to glance around the room until my gaze settled on the file and slip of paper handed through the glass slot. The corner of the paper could be seen as she whipped it up and strutted off.

TSURUI

Ah, Japan. I kept my expression neutral and filed away the name; it could come in handy. I approached the women, who watched me with beady eyes, and gave her my name.

She hummed, scrolling through the computer.

"Please place your hand on the scanner."

I rested it flat on the black fingerprint scanner and watched as the green light paraded all over my skin. When it beeped in confirmation, she handed me my file and an envelope.

I nodded my thanks and strolled off down the corridors, pulling the corner of the paper in the file up.

Arizona, USA

I then slipped out the paper in the envelope - my plane ticket. It was scheduled for half five in the morning. Quickly doing the maths, I realised I'd probably get there for six a.m. Arizona time, meaning I would be going to school.

Great.

I headed towards the exit - a narrow stairway which led to a store cupboard in the hotel our agency lay beneath. I hopped up the stairs quickly, feeling time snapping on my heels. It was quarter past four in the morning, and, considering that I had to get to the airport by five, it was going up be tight.

I typed in the passcode and scanned my hand on the hatch which attached to the cupboard floor, waiting as it checked the room for movement. As soon as it flipped open, I pulled myself up onto the carpet swiftly to avoid being caught out by the five second timer.

It slammed shut like a clam, the noise echoing in the dark confines of the grubby room. Pushing past an abandoned mop, I made my way through the dark to another scanner (this time for my eyes).

The soft click of the lock opening was the signal to leave.

The cupboard system was rather clever, as it meant that no-one would ever suspect a thing if it was stumbled upon. Fortunately, there was a passcode on the other side of the door, as well as a small lock. Every agent carried a key attached to a chain on their person - mine hung from my neck underneath my jumper.

I stepped out into the bright corridor just as the door clicked shut and made my way down the stairs. My car was parked outside around the corner to avoid any suspicion, although I changed its position daily and swapped the number plate around every month or so.

Thankfully I always kept a weeks worth of clothing in the bottom of my backpack (for emergencies) as well as a few of my most precious belongings, so I didn't need to return to my flat. Instead, I jumped inside my car and started the engine, making my way to the airport.

When I reached the car park, I checked the time.

4:57

Smirking at my timing, I grabbed my backpack from the passenger seat and got out, locking the car behind me. As I approached the building I took my backpack off my shoulder and stuffed my car keys in the front pocket.

How did my equipment get past airport security? Simple.

It didn't.

Casually walking towards a trolley full of suitcases, I slipped through the streams of people, unnoticed. I mentally recorded the person pulling it and placed my backpack at the bottom before striding towards airport security.

Considering I wasn't wearing any equipment on me, I whizzed through their checks in a matter of minutes, only removing my keys, my 'necklace' and a few hair grips.

Once I got through to the other side, I meandered towards the trolley with my backpack on, whisking it up and onto my shoulder. I retrieved my plane ticket from the side pocket and walked to the man in front of the plane's entry point.

He frowned at my backpack as he took my ticket.

"It's carry-on size." I smiled. He nodded and flashed me a grin.

"Have a good flight."

"Thanks." I chirped, giving him a wave. I went through the tunnel-like entrance and stepped into the plane. Glancing around, I did a quick head count.

Twenty-one...no, twenty-two others.

I picked a seat near the back and shoved my backpack on the seat next to me. I don't like travel companions. I examined my residence for the next seven and a half hours. Cup holder, rock-hard fabric seats, no window.

Must've been budget. Cutbacks in the agency - mind you, I paid for half of the expenses. I sighed before taking out my phone and finding a movie.

Yeah, because that will keep you going.

I settled into my seat and popped in my headphones. My last thought before the plane took off?

Three years in the agency and they didn't have the decency to put me in first class.

*~*~*~*~*

Hello lovies!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter - there are many more to come as well! Do you like Kayla? Cameron's a bit of a diva, isn't she? I get so attached to my characters! :D

Please vote and comment - I would love to hear your opinion :)

I will post the next chapter soon! Want a sneak peek at what's going to happen? Here it is:

Sneak peek: Kayla meets the host family and a few other characters...

Muchlove xxx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

249K 13.7K 36
For the last year, Audrey has been watching over Charlotte Astor, heir to the world's biggest software company. She knows this summer will be filled...
5.2M 187K 31
Riley Scott's the one name that everyone knows in the agency. She's the best at her job along with her best friend Joey. She wasn't at all surprised...
F*cking cliché By Marit

General Fiction

1.6K 166 62
That ^ Okay I'm done joking around now. A young agent, without the right requirements to be one, is put on a rather interesting and difficult case. H...
561K 13.8K 53
Oil doesn't mix with water, we were taught that when the teacher was ranting about the basic laws of science. It doesn't combine just like how light...