Untethered

Від JessaMartell

[COMPLETED] Wattys2018 Shortlist! PROMOTED ON COSMOPOLITAN.COM Highest rank #6 on Chicklit What's Hot List F... Більше

Untethered on Wattys 2018 Long-list... and Short List!
Copyright Notice & Disclaimer
A Letter to the Reader
Prologue | Innocence
1 | A Storm Inside
2 | Ryan & Emma
3 | Greta
4 | Confessions & Kisses
5 | Sleepover
6 | The Morning After
7 | Untethered
8 | Wildfire
9 | Black Widow
10 | Dueling Hummingbirds
11 | Riddle Wrapped in an Enigma
12 | Cancer is a Bitch
13 | Starry Night Confessions
14 | Wounded
15 | Kiss an Imp Good Morning
16 | Visiting Hours
17 | Slow Dancing at Speedy's
18 | Three Little Words
19 | Half-Truths & Lies
20 | Coming Clean... Almost
21 | Sins of the Past
22 | Fishing & Forgiveness
23 | Moonlight Kisses
24 | Desiderata
25 | Secrets Unlocked
26 | Broken
27 | Harsh Realities
28 | Memento Mori
29 | Recriminations
30 | Regrets
31 | Gone
32 | Too Late
33 | Determination
34 | Perspective
35 | Questions
36 | Answers
37 | Taken
38 | Betrayal
39 | Revelations
40 | Rescue Me
41 | Fight or Flight
42 | Waiting Game
43 | Waking Nightmare
44 | Healing
Epilogue | A New Legacy
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS
FEEDBACK... Please ♥
Untethered One-Shots
Part I: Valentine's Dance || Interested Parties
Part II: Valentine's Dance || Surprise!
Spectres at the Feast
"Of Dust & Dreams" Silver Heart WINNER
~Honest Reviews Needed~

Part III: Valentine's Dance || I Know Who I Want to Take Me Home

10.3K 443 53
Від JessaMartell

~Part III~

"Girls! Get down here, the boys are all ready to go!" Edie's voice carried up the stairs, and into Emma's room, and she squirmed, trying to get Rosie to hurry up.

"Ro, come on! We're running late, it's good enough," Emma huffed, as Rosie wrestled her hair back into a sleek up-do, finishing it by pulling a few strands free and curling them.

"Hold still," Rosie grunted through the bobby pins she was holding between her lips. "I'm almost done. There!"

Emma broke free, heading right for the full-length mirror on her door. "Wow, I gotta give it to ya, my hair is amazing."

"I told you," Rosie hip-checked her out of the way, applying a neon pink shade of lipstick to her lips and then smacking them together. "That dress is amazing, by the way," she complimented her friend, appraising her through her reflection.

"Thanks." Emma smiled, admiring herself in the mirror around Rosie. Her dress was a calf-length, body-hugging, strapless number in deep purple, accentuating her ample curves, and setting off her olive-toned skin to perfection. Her make-up was much more muted than Rosie's and she looked at least a few years older than sixteen.

"Girls!" Her grandma's voice was louder and more impatient.

"We better get down there, before she has an aneurysm," she sighed.

"What do you think?" Rosie spun around, giving Emma a 360 degree view of her look. She reminded Emma of a throwback to a late-80's Madonna, all in neon pink, black lace, and her hot-pink streaked, white-blond hair. She was one hundred percent certain no one else could pull it off.

"You look great," she said truthfully. "Evan won't know what hit him."

Rosie smirked, "Damn right."

Exiting the room, they made their way down the stairs, chattering and laughing, oblivious to what awaited them at the bottom. A loud wolf-whistle pierced the air, and both girls froze a few steps from the bottom. Ryan Cameron stood casually inside the entry-way, hands in the pockets of a sharp, black suit with a dark purple tie, matching Emma's dress, and his forest-green eyes were trained on her.

While Rosie shook her head, chuckling, and making her way over to Evan, Emma remained on the steps, locked in a staring contest with the boy who had driven her insane her entire life. She couldn't figure out what in the world was happening to her. She'd always found him completely repulsive, but now, she couldn't take her eyes off him. His unruly waves were tamed, and styled back, his suit fit him to perfection, and the way he was staring holes through her, made her mouth go dry.

Abruptly, she was snapped out of her trance, when her Grandma came bustling into the room, with Greta hot on her heels.

"Oh, my Lord, look at you girls!" she gushed.

Emma suddenly came to herself, when a smirk tilted the corner of Ryan's lips, and he cleared his throat, indicating subtly that she might want to acknowledge her grandma. Breaking his gaze, she stumbled down the last couple of steps and was immediately engulfed in a bone-crushing hug. For a tiny woman, her grandma had the strength of a world-class body-builder.

"Gram, I can't breathe," she forced out. She was suddenly released, held at arm's length. "You are just beautiful, sweetheart."

"She sure is," her grandpa's voice came from behind her grandma, and she grinned, slipping out of her grandma's arms and over to her grandpa.

"Thanks, Grandpa," she snuggled into his chest, and he carefully embraced her.

"You look way too grown-up, chickadee," he responded gruffly.

"Pish-posh!" Edie tutted at her husband fondly. "That's because you still see her as a four-year-old little girl."

"Well, she is," he insisted.

"No, she's not. She's a lovely young lady. Now, let her go before you suffocate her. I want pictures before these kids take off." She grabbed Emma's hand, and ushered all the kids out the door. "We'll do the pictures in Greta's garden," she explained.

"But my date isn't here, yet," Emma protested.

"He probably isn't coming," Ryan chimed in.

Emma glared at him, "Yes he is! What are you doing here, anyway?"

"I'm going to the dance," he winked, smirking irritatingly at her.

"By yourself?" she scoffed.

"Sure, why not? I think it's the best way. Instead of getting stuck with a date I might not like, I can scout for whoever gets stood up." He winked at her again, and she wrinkled her nose disdainfully.

"You're an idiot," she retorted.

"And you don't have a date," he jibed back.

"I do, too!"

"I don't see him," he raised an eyebrow.

Before she could really lose her mind, a car pulled into the driveway, and Brent got out.

"Sorry I'm late," he huffed, striding up to the group. "My mom wouldn't let me out without a bazillion pictures."

A huge, relieved smile split Emma's face. "No worries! We were just going to take some pictures before we left."

"Great," he grinned, and stepped closer, only to have Ryan block his path. Brent halted, glancing confusedly between Emma and Ryan.

"I told you she wasn't going with you, dude," Ryan warned him in a low voice.

"Goddammit, Ryan," Emma hissed, quietly enough so that her grandma and Greta wouldn't hear. "Knock it off!" She shoved him out of the way, grabbing Brent's hand, and pulled him toward the gazebo in the backyard. When they arrived, Evan and Rosie were already posing, while Edie and Greta took copious amounts of pictures. Evan wore a bored-out-of-his-mind expression, while Rosie beamed like a neon sign. Emma realized that her friend truly seemed to be happy, and while her brother was never that expressive, he seemed more relaxed all the sudden. Huh, how about that?

Eventually, Evan tired of the two women buzzing around with the cameras and he broke free.

"Okay, that's enough," he growled, striding toward the women. Leaning down, he gave his grandmother a hug and a peck on the cheek, and then grabbed Rosie by the hand. "I'll see you in the morning," he mumbled, and before he could be questioned further, dragged Emma's best friend out of the garden, and out to his truck. The group could hear Rosie scolding him for his behavior all the way until the doors on the truck slammed shut.

Edie just chuckled good-naturedly. "Well, well," she murmured. "I do think that boy has met his match."

Greta joined her laughter, "I think you're right. That girl's a firecracker. Now," turning toward Emma and Brent, she pointed at the gazebo, "get up there so we can get pictures of the two of you."

The pair acquiesced reluctantly. Brent kept shifting uncomfortably next to her, and it was putting Emma on edge. Her grandma and Ryan's mom weren't satisfied with any of the pictures, and she was quickly growing frustrated. In between poses, she looked up, only to find Ryan staring daggers at them, his focus on Brent. Her forehead wrinkled in confusion. What the hell is his problem? She wondered to herself. Finally, it seemed that Edie and Greta were satisfied, and Emma breathed a sigh of relief.

Right up until Greta piped up.

"Alright, Emma, you stay put. Ryan, get your butt up there."

"What?" Emma stared at her, bewildered. "What do you mean?"

"Well, I can't very well take pictures of Ryan by himself, now can I?" She laughed. "Besides, his tie matches your dress. Come on, girl, just a few pictures."

"Fine," Emma huffed, shooting Brent an apologetic smile. "We need to hurry, though. The dance is starting soon."

"We have plenty of time," her grandma dismissed her.

So, Emma stood uncomfortably, waiting for Ryan to make his way over to her. He purposely went out of his way to shoulder-check Brent, sending him a glare that dared retribution, and she, once again, was utterly dumbfounded.

"What the heck is wrong with you?" she hissed.

"Not a thing," he gritted through clenched teeth.

"Then leave my date alone."

"No."

Emma growled. "Why do you have to be such an ass?"

"Why are you so annoying?" he retorted.

"Gah! You're completely impossible." Tossing her hands up, she faced the two ladies again. "Just smile and get this over with, I want to go."

"Sure thing, little girl," he teased in a mocking tone. Rather than responding, she just blew out a frustrated sigh. When, at last, the two older women were satisfied, she broke free, heading straight for Brent.

"Let's go," she commanded, snagging his arm and stalking away.

"Nice to meet you," he called back to her grandma while trying to keep up with the infuriated girl blazing a trail to his car. He didn't miss the way Ryan glowered at him, the promise of violence in his eyes.

~*~*~

The gym was hardly recognizable, and Emma gazed around, impressed at the transformation. Pink, red, and white balloons covered everything, as well as copious amounts of glitter, and artistically done banners. Music was thumping through huge speakers at the far end of the room, where most students were, their bodies writhing and gyrating to the music.

Little, decorated Valentine's treats were laid out on a long table to her left, along with punch, and two teachers, who were keeping an eagle-eye on the proceedings. The half of the gym by the entrance was scattered with tables covered in table cloths and glittery, flowery centerpieces, and though beautiful, no one was taking advantage of them, yet. She grinned, turning toward Brent.

"Do you want to dance?" she asked loudly.

"Sure!" he grinned down at her, and she blushed. Making their way to the dance floor, she quickly spotted Rosie's hot-pink ensemble, and wiggled her way over to where she was wildly jumping around, while Evan gripped her hips, barely moving, and glaring at any guy who even glanced in her direction.

"Lina!" the pink-headed, blond spotted her first, and broke free of Evan's grasp to throw herself at her friend. "I was looking for you," she yelled in Emma's ear to be heard above the music. "Your brother dragged me outta there so fast, and he wouldn't wait!"

Emma laughed, "He hates when they get all fussy, and especially posing for pictures." She glanced behind her friend, to see Evan a short distance away, still glaring at any male in the vicinity. "I think he's actually really into you, Ro."

Rosie blushed to match her hair, "I know," she giggled. "I think he actually growled at one guy, just because he touched me when he was walking past." Her eyes drifted to Brent who was little ways away from them, bobbing his head to the beat. "He seems alright," she nodded. Emma followed her gaze, and a small smile quirked her lips.

"Yeah, he's nice," she agreed. Her eyes scanned the crowd, and her smile was immediately wiped off her face. "What the hell," she muttered.

"What?" Rosie hollered.

Emma pointed. "There." Rosie's eyes followed her finger to Ryan, who was leaning against the wall at the edge of the crowd, glaring daggers at Brent.

"Whoa," she whistled, "what's his problem?"

"Heck if I know," Emma shook her head exasperatedly. "He looked like he was going to hit Brent back at the house. I think he just likes to make my life miserable."

"He likes you, dummy."

"No, he doesn't," she replied firmly.

"If you say so," Rosie shrugged. "Where'd he go?"

"Dammit!" Emma scanned the crowd, but didn't see him. "Maybe he gave up." When pigs fly, she thought to herself.

"Maybe," Rosie agreed. "I'm going to dance!" Spinning around, she slipped her arms around Evan's middle, and he tensed, before relaxing, and pulling her close. His eyes were dark, and hooded, but Emma was sure she saw him relax and soften a little. Maybe those two would be good for each other. Her brother definitely needed some mellowing out, and Rosie needed a someone to steady her a bit.

Smiling, Emma turned toward the last place she saw Brent, and her smile widened, when she caught his eye. The DJ had just started an upbeat song, and she began dancing energetically, grabbing his hands, and spinning around. He just laughed at her, and she was momentarily free of her over-bearing brother, and the hovering, perpetual annoyance that was Ryan. The song ended, and she pulled back.

"I need some water," she shouted. He smiled, acknowledging her, and she scurried away from the throbbing mass of bodies. She made her way to the refreshment table, and grabbed a bottle of water, before walking to the other side of the room. She didn't feel like sitting, so she just leaned against the wall, observing her classmates dancing and laughing.

"Having fun?" a familiar voice growled in her ear.

Jerking to the side, she took in Ryan's disheveled appearance. "Yes..." she answered slowly. Something was off, and it made her wary. "What are you doing, Ryan?"

"Keeping an eye on you," he leaned closer, "since someone has to. That boy is not going to be touching you."

Narrowing her large, hazel eyes, Emma nearly closed any distance between them. "Look, idiot, I don't know what the fuck your problem is, but you need to stop. Go find someone else to make miserable, just leave me alone!" Drawing back lazily, he smirked.

"No can do, little girl."

"Ack!" Tossing her hands up, Emma spun away in frustration. "You drive me insane!" she practically screamed.

"Likewise," he drawled.

Not waiting for him to say anything else, she stalked away in the opposite direction. She was actually afraid she'd spontaneously combust if she had to deal with him for one more minute. Picking her way through the other students, she found Brent dancing with Brita Hanson. Surprisingly, she didn't feel a bit of jealousy. Brita was a sweet girl, and the first thought that floated through her mind, was how good the couple looked together. Scowling, she moved closer. Especially after all the weird interactions with Ryan lately, she was hoping she'd feel something more for Brent, but her reaction at that moment didn't bode well for that.

"Hey, you're back!" he gave her a dazzling smile, complete with dimple when he saw her, and she tried to return it, but not very convincingly.

"Yeah, sorry it took so long," she replied. "I ran into... someone," she finished lamely.

Misreading her expression, Brent's face went even paler. "I was just dancing with Brit-she's just a friend, I promise!"

Emma laughed. "That's fine, I was actually thinking you look good together," she admitted.

"Really?" he stared at the other girl wistfully. "I liked her for a long time. We've been friends since we were in diapers, but I don't think she feels the same way."

"Yeah, really," Emma laughed. "You should tell her how you feel, you never know what might happen."

"I guess so," he agreed half-heartedly. "If she rejects me, our friendship is probably over, though. I'm not sure I want to lose that."

"I understand," she replied softly. "Let's just have some fun, tonight, okay?"

Turning back to her, he gave her a small smirk, "All right, sounds like a plan." The pair kept dancing through the next three songs, laughing and joking. Every once in a while, though, the hairs on the back of Emma's neck prickled, and she'd find Ryan staring at them with a hard, unreadable expression.

"I think he likes you, Em." Brent's voice shocked her out of her thoughts when she'd zoned out, puzzling over Ryan's sudden sullenness. Evan was the broody one, and Ryan was always the jokester-jovial and carefree.

"I don't think so," she laughed. "All he's done, my whole life, is try to make me miserable."

"He's acting jealous," Brent pointed out. "I oughta know," he said under his breath, so that Emma barely caught it. She followed his gaze to Brita dancing with a basketball player from their class.

"That's ridiculous," Emma said. "It's not the same thing."

"Okay," he capitulated suspiciously easily. A slow song came on, and the DJ encouraged the couples to find a partner.

The two exchanged a look and shrugged, stepping closer. Somehow, they'd both come to an unspoken understanding that they were better off as friends, and it wasn't awkward. Brent's arms circled her waist, and she draped her arms around his neck, looking up at him, as they shuffled their feet to the slow melody, and talked in quiet tones. Emma was in the middle of a sentence, when Brent's eyes wandered up past her head. Gazing at him curiously, she paused mid-speech, and caught his eyes in a questioning stare.

Grinning at her madly, he winked, and then his head began to come toward hers with clear intent. Utterly confused, Emma's entire body was wooden, unable to figure out how to respond to what was happening. Right before his lips connected with hers, which were open in surprise, she was jerked backward. Then, Ryan had Brent by the collar, and was pushing him through the startled couples with a murderous look in his eyes. Emma gaped after him in utter shock, before coming back to herself. Fury welled inside of her, and she rushed after the two boys. Right before Ryan's fist connected with Brent's face, she yanked him back.

"What the fuck is your problem?" she screamed.

"He was touching you," he deadpanned.

"Tou-touching me?" she hissed. "He was touching me? He's allowed to touch me-he's my freaking date!" She shoved at him hard, and he stumbled slightly. She suddenly noticed that his eyes looked a little glassy, and he didn't seem too steady on his feet.

"He is not," he replied belligerently, "I told you, he wasn't going to touch you."

"You're an ass," she spat, pushing past him to Brent, who was watching the entire thing with far too amused an expression on his face. "And you," she growled at her date, "what the heck were you thinking?"

"I was proving a point," he shrugged nonchalantly. "I think I made it."

"You're both complete morons," she declared. Brent straightened, and looked behind her.

"Probably," he grinned, "but I think I can find my own way home, tonight. You two need to talk."

Groaning, Emma turned to see Ryan's furious face, right before he reached her. "You're probably right," she agreed.

Chuckling, he squeezed her hand, and then wandered off into the crowd.

"You," Ryan uttered, in a low voice, "are in big trouble, little girl."

"Me?" she stared at him incredulously. "I'm in trouble? You're a complete ass. You scared off my date!"

"So." He shrugged, a self-satisfied smirk on his face, that she wanted to slap right off.

Speechless, she just stood rigidly, staring at him in disbelief. Opening her mouth to verbally disembowel him, her voice cut out, when he reached for her, drawing her close. Another slow song was crooning through the speakers, and her arms automatically went around him, as he pulled her against his body.

"What are you doing, Ryan?" she whispered.

"Dancing with you," he mumbled against her ear, causing a shiver to course through her. "Just give me this one." Emma didn't know whether it was the soft plea in his voice, or the fact that his body felt so damn good pressed against hers, but she agreed, relaxing into the sway of the music. His lips on her bare shoulder, startled her, and when she pulled back, he cupped her face in his hands, and covered her mouth with his.

Emma's brain was frozen. In fact, her entire body had stopped moving, and her heart and lungs had momentarily taken a hiatus as well. It was her first real kiss, and it was divine. His lips were soft and warm against hers, and their breath co-mingled deliciously. Fisting his jacket at the small of his back, she moaned softly, which caused him to press against her more tightly. Feeling his body's reaction against her stomach, brought her back to her senses, and she jerked backward.

"Wh-what, what the..."

"I've been wanting to do that," he admitted, stroking his thumb against her bottom lip.

Shoving him hard, Emma's confused emotions focused in on the one she was most comfortable with-anger. "I don't know what you're playing at, but you need to stop, Ryan. This is weird!"

"I'm not playing, little girl. I've been wanting to kiss you for a long time," he repeated. It only infuriated her more, and she shoved him again. He stumbled back, and nearly knocked over a couple of dancers behind him, before righting himself, and swaying unsteadily.

Emma's anger dissipated, and she looked at him more closely. Then, stepping closer, she smelled his breath.

"Oh, my God, have you been drinking?"

"Depends who wants to know," he grinned at her, and then she noticed his words slurring slightly.

"For fuck's sake..." she muttered. "We need to get you home before one of the teachers notices.

"So, you're going home with me?" he smiled, satisfied, and she had the urge to slap him silly.

"No," she gritted out, "I'm going to find my brother, and make him take you home."

"That's no fun," Ryan groaned, allowing her to lead him to one of the tables in the corner.

"Shut up, Cameron. Stay there while I go find him."

"Yes, Ma'am," he mock saluted, and she rolled her eyes.

"Idiot."

Stalking back through the gym, Emma muttered angrily, scanning the crowd for Rosie's hot-pink hair. While her brother was the size of a bear, that hair would be impossible to miss. Finally, the strobing lights illuminated them, dancing closely together, their eyes locked. Sighing, Emma strode forward. He's gonna be pissed.

"Hey," she pushed at his shoulder, and the pair broke apart, Rosie flushing slightly.

"What is it, Em?" Evan perused the bodies behind her, likely looking for Brent.

"I need you to take Ryan home. He's drunk."

"That's not my problem," he scoffed.

"Well, he can't drive, and he can barely stand up. He'll get suspended if one of the teachers realizes," she argued.

"Why do you care, Emmy? I'll drive him home after the dance. Just tell him to chill." He turned back to Rosie, dragging her to a more secluded corner, leaving Emma fuming.

Why do I care? It isn't as if he's anything to me... Her thoughts trailed off, and she shook her head. She did not have feelings for Ryan Cameron. That could only backfire on her.

~*~*~

"Upsy-daisy!" Emma smacked the back of Ryan's head, which was laid on the table in front of him, taking perverse pleasure in the pained groan that came from him.

"Where's Evan?"

"Making out with my best friend," she retorted. "Get up, I'm walking you home."

"I can drive," he mumbled, pushing himself to his feet.

"No, you can't, dumbass. You're drunk, and I can't drive, so we're walking." Sliding her arm around his back, she let him lean on her, as they circumnavigated the gym.

"Where are we going?" Ryan grunted, trying not to lean too much of his weight on her.

"Well, I'm sure as hell not walking home in heels," she scoffed. "We're going to my locker so I can get my gym shoes, and then we're going home."

Whether he was too tired or too drunk, Emma wasn't sure, but Ryan was quiet the rest of the way to her locker. Propping him up against the locker next to hers, she got it open, and braced herself, slipping her heels off so that she dropped in height by a couple of inches. The floor was cold on her bare feet, and she shivered. Ryan eyed her openly, and she could feel it.

"Why are you staring at me?" she asked.

"You look really pretty tonight." She scoffed and rolled her eyes, as she slid her bare feet into her tennis shoes.

"Yeah, I'm sure I look amazing right now."

"You do," he insisted. "You always look pretty."

"You're drunk," she sighed.

"Yeah, yeah I am," he agreed.

"Come on." She straightened up, slipping her coat on, and wrestling him into his. "Let's get you home, idiot." Ryan complied easily, which normally would have had her guard up immediately, but she was just too tired to care why he was being so cooperative.

Once they were outside the school, frigid wind bit into their skin, and she shuddered, holding tighter to Ryan's large frame in an attempt to keep warm. His arm wrapped snugly around her shoulders, and he was walking a bit steadier than he was inside. After a couple of blocks, Emma's teeth were chattering, and Ryan made her stop.

"Come here, Em." Pulling her toward him, he unwrapped his scarf from his neck, and wound it around her head and neck, carefully, making sure her ears were covered. She held still, and held her breath until he was done. It was such a strange night, she almost felt sure she'd wake up and find she'd dreamt it. The tingles his fingers sent racing across her skin, was starting to simultaneously drive her crazy, and irritate her.

"Why are you being so... I don't know... why are you being like this, tonight, Ryan?" she blurted out, starting to walk again.

"Like what?" he asked, following her.

"Acting like you're jealous, acting like you like me-this is weird."

Catching up to her again, he slid his arm around her shoulders again, and slowed her pace a bit. "I care about you-you're my best friend's sister."

"That's not how you're supposed to act around your best friend's sister," she pointed out.

"How did I act?"

"Um, let's see. Getting drunk, threatening my date, punching my date, kissing me... ring any bells?"

"Oh." Silence descended between them, the only sound was their frozen breath puffing as they tried to hurry toward their houses. "I'm sorry, Emma. I was an ass, tonight."

"Yes, you were," she agreed, chuckling a little. "I'm used to it, though. Just not the kissing, jealous bit. That's freaking weird, Ry." They approached their houses, and Ryan stumbled indecisively. "Come inside," Emma sighed.

"Are you sure?" he asked uncertainly.

"Yeah, let's go. My grandparents are asleep, and your mom will murder you if she sees you like this. You can crash in the spare room."

"You're an angel, Emmy, you know that?" he mumbled.

She laughed a little too loudly. "Tell my grandma that next time she's ready to whip my behind."

He chuckled and it warmed her up. They shucked off their winter gear quietly, and she shoved him up the stairs ahead of her just in time for her grandma to come out of her room.

"That you, Emma?" she called, shuffling part-way down the hall toward the bottom of the stairs.

"Yeah, Gram. I'm going to bed, okay?"

"Sure, sweetie. Did you have a nice time?"

"It was... interesting."

"Well, good. I'm glad. See you in the morning, hon."

"Night, Gram." Emma waited for her grandma to go back into her room before rushing up the stairs to find Ryan leaning against the banister. She passed him, tugging on his hand, and led him into the guest room, which was next to hers. "Let's get you in bed," she murmured. Helping him get his suit off, down to the pants and open shirt, she walked out of the room.

"Where are you going?" he asked, sounding a little lost.

"To change. I'll come back and check on you in a few minutes," she promised.

She slowly walked into the bathroom, picking bobby pins out of her up-do, until all that was left was a lot of hair spray. After struggling to reach the zipper on the back of her dress, she growled, and went to seek help. Walking back into Ryan's room, she found him with just his pants on, still standing in the middle of the room.

"Unzip me, please," she asked.

"Wh-what?" he stammered.

"Un-zip me. I can't reach the zipper."

"Uh, oh, okay." His fingers grazed the skin on her back and she trembled as he slowly dragged the zipper down, the teeth making a soft ratcheting sound. "There ya go," he whispered hoarsely. Realizing that she'd been standing there for a moment longer than she needed to, her skin heated, and she rushed out of the room with a hurried, 'thanks.'

Staring at herself in the bathroom mirror, she let the dress fall around her feet, and she could still feel her body humming from its proximity to him.

"You need to get a grip, girl," she scolded herself. "You cannot see him that way." She quickly showered, repeating this to herself, and then crossed the hall to her own room, where she combed out her long, curly hair, and pulled on a tank top and a little pair of shorts. Wearily, she went back into the hall, and knocked softly on Ryan's door. "You okay?" she called quietly.

"Com'in," he grunted. She opened the door, slipping in, and shut it softly behind her. He was laying in the bed now, his chest bared, and the rest of his naked skin disappearing under the quilt. She swallowed, and stepped closer.

"I just want to make sure you're all right," she explained, keeping her hand on the door knob. She started to turn away, when his voice stopped her.

"Can you stay for a bit?" His voice was soft and pleading, and tugged at her heart. She turned back toward him, nodding. Lifting the blanket up for her, so she could slide in, he then snuggled close to her, laying his head just below her chest. Emma's breathing was shallow, and goosebumps were erupting all over her body. "You smell good," he groaned, wrapping his arms around her tighter.

"I don't know about you, sometimes," she whispered. "You confuse me." Her fingers found their way into his hair, and she let the silky strands slip through, savoring this strange closeness.

"I like you, little girl. Someday you'll see it." He snuggled a little deeper, and her eyes soon grew heavy, too.

The next morning when she woke up, she couldn't be sure that that was exactly what he'd said. It seemed like it had been a dream when she slipped out of his room, and back into hers. But the funny feeling she got in the pit of her stomach every time she was around him after that night, wouldn't go away.

A/N:

Thank you all for reading! I hope you liked this short journey down memory lane with Ryan, Emma, Rosie, & Evan!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Jessa xx

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

Emma That is Dead (FREE!) Від Monrosey

Детективи / Трилер

113K 14.5K 48
This story will become FREE on August 30th, 2023! When 17-year-old Arbor Hayes' best friend turns up alive after a mysterious six-month disappearanc...
692K 24.8K 32
Losing his wife by a ghastly accident Nathaniel Carter turns from being a husband to becoming a housewife. Now left to cater for this three years old...
54K 3K 89
| WATTPAD INDIA AWARDS 2021 SHORTLIST | Like a moth to the flame, Amy finds herself drowning in Jake's chaos, and it doesn't even make sense how she'...
Mystery trip with Cousins Від aynatulmarziya

Детективи / Трилер

77.1K 16.5K 48
A story of 5 girls with perfect life and best families ever. Until a fun trip to an Island turns into horror, mystery and much more. To know, What is...