~More Than A Program~/// Bart...

By KyasarinKishinuma

"You're more than a program, Bart..." ///// (Y/N) was a basic girl. Well, perhaps not so basic. Quite... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Epilogue
Announcement

Chapter 1

4.8K 135 47
By KyasarinKishinuma

Why, hello lovely reader, and welcome to my story! I've been working and coming up with this plot for a fair while, so you bet I'm eager to write it all down for the Young Justice community! I hope you'll enjoy reading this, and perhaps leave a comment or two, don't feel shy! Comments really do motivate me to keep write and believe me, I do need that motivation. Now, before I continue, I must point out that while the entire plot belongs to me, the DC characters that will be introduced throughout the story, including Bart Allen/Impulse do not. Now that that's over with, have a nice read~~! <3

Chapter 1

You heaved a light sigh as you dropped your pencil, scanning over the paper set before you. Honestly, what was the point of this quiz? It was the fourth -and thankfully the last- one in this week only! Sheesh, just because your teacher had a major crush on the Speedsters Incorporation's current representative, Lex Luthor the 3rd, didn't mean you had to spend half your classes studying his company.

Well, either way, half the quiz was about the Speedsters Incorporation while the other was about what you should actually be going over, the Second Industrial Revolution. You were quite knowledgeable on both topics, so you were confident you'd nail this test. You were more worried about your sanity than your mark, really. The past week seemed to have stretched on forever...

Your eyes strayed back toward a question. 'Briefly summarize the Speedsters Incorporation's installments.'

Pfft, piece of cake. Fifty years ago, a machine, known as The Flash or Barry Allen, was created. It was programmed to assist the president, and was gifted with the ability to run at inhuman speeds.

It wasn't necessarily recognized until fifteen years ago, when it saved the President. In honor of its bravery, a new branch of programmed machines was created, Speedsters. Following this, the Speedsters Incorporation was founded by the current Lex Luthor, and programs that took the form of a human, known as Kid Flashes, were made. They were inspired by The Flash and meant to help humans, whether in military operations or at home.

Finally, just recently, the Speedsters Incorporation released a new, improved program, the Impulse. Unlike its ancestors, its sole purpose was to act as a family member or friend in houses.

All right, good enough. Next... 'Explain how the Second Industrial Revolution happened, and what triggered it.'

You felt yourself stiffen. The Second Industrial Revolution...

It happened about ten years ago, when the population complained that children left their parent's house too late, and that efforts should be made to allow them to gain independence at an earlier age. The government was willing to oblige, only they needed the cooperation of the people. The operation ended up being a success, and in the process, technology greatly advanced. Thus its name.

But not everyone was wanting all of this. 'Families that resisted the Revolution were arrested', you wrote, yet you knew that was false.

They were killed. Killed in their own house, their pained cries pointlessly bouncing off the walls...

With a shaky sigh, you pushed such horrible thoughts aside and continued. 'How was the Speedsters Incorporation involved in the Second Industrial Revolution?'

You didn't have quite as much to write down for this question.

'Kid Flashes were sent to arrest resisting families.'

The bell rang, signalling that the school day was finally over. You eagerly got to your feet, gathered your stuff, and were about to rush out into the hallway when your teacher's unfeeling voice call out.

"Class, class, please, settle down! I must tell you about your new English project."

Oh. Great. Growling in irritation, you slumped back down on your uncomfortable chair, glaring and just wanting to get back home.

"You will all be writing in a journal daily. Your topic will be your newest companion, your very own Impulse."

Excited murmurs rippled through the classroom. You merely huffed in annoyance, crossing your arms. You never were quite fond of these Speedster programs... Now you had to drag one along? Really?

"In your journal, you'll write about your experiences with your Impulse, and tell us what you like and dislike about it. This way, not only are you getting easy marks, you're also helping the Speedsters Incorporation, thus contributing to the community. Now, come see me to get your Impulse!"

Chair legs noisily screeched against the floor as students hastily hopped to their feet and sped over. As for you, feeling quite less agitated than they about this project, you simply sat and waited for the class to empty itself before you bothered getting up.

You muttered a silent thanks as you received your... Impulse. Well, it was more like a mere, light-weight black box with a port to plug the charge into, and a small hole from which radiated a green light that constantly faded in and out. This meant its batteries were full.

After having mindlessly taken down notes about Impulses for the past weeks, you were vey well aware this box housed the program that would soon be walking around in your apartment.

You stuffed it into your pocket before stepping out into the hallway, excusing your way through crowds of friends. You could hear them discussing about sleepover plans...

Huh. Something you'd never talk, nor even think abut, for you were friendless. You didn't need company. You were perfectly fine on your own, and would never, ever need someone in your life.

Dropping your school bag at the foot of your couch, you collapsed down on it, closing your eyes with a light sigh as you enjoyed the best sound in the world. Undisturbed silence.

Riding the transportation tube from school to your place had felt like a noisy eternity, even though it had lasted only half an hour... Either way, you were glad to be home, away from the world.

Much like the rest of the people your age, you had your own apartment and lived independently, without the surveillance of parents or any adult. All of this, thanks to the beloved Second Industrial Revolution.

Speaking of the Revolution...

Remembering your English project, you sat up, dragging your bag onto your lap. You dug into it before pulling out the black box from earlier.

...Goodness, having an Impulse following you around sure was going to be a pain. You were so used to be alone, and completely intolerant to people, especially filthy programs... But it's not like you had a choice. Might as well get it over with...

You sighed heavily before ordering, "Impulse Program, launch."

A whirring noise began to emit from the object, and you felt it vibrate slightly in your hand. After a few moments, a robotic, feminine voice announced, "Impulse Program was successfully launched. Preparing for set-up..."

Really? A set-up? Why didn't it just come fully prepared and ready to go like the Kid Flashes had?

Groaning in frustration, you got off the couch and grabbed your stuff, heading toward the kitchen to fetch some food.

"Thank you for having chosen the Speedsters Incorporation's Impulse as your newest companion. Please state your name, age, and career."

"My name is (Y/N) (L/N), I'm 15 and I'm a student at the Apadella Academy," you droned boringly, setting the box down on the kitchen counter.

"Confirmed. What will be your Impulse's name?"

A name? Hmm, you hadn't thought of that... Shrugging, you opened your fridge, sticking your head into it and thought out loud, "Why not name it after its grandfather? Barry Allen."

"Confirmed. Bart Allen."

Irritated at this mistake, you withdrew from the fridge and growled, "Not Bart, you stupid program! I said Barry!"

However, it seemed not to notice your complaints. The voice simply continued, "You may now customize your Impulse's appearance to your liking."

Pfft. Why bother? You'd ditch this piece of junk as soon as your project was completed. "I don't care about its appearance."

"Confirmed. Randomizing portrait..."

As you sunk your teeth into an apple, you gave sleep some thought. It wasn't that late, but school really had tired you. Plus, it's not like you'd lose any daylight, you'd only wake up earlier...

"Portrait complete. Set-up was successful. Impulse will now be introduced..."

You glanced over as a beam of white light was projected from the box. It took the shape of a human before starting to gain colour and matter until finally, before you stood... Bart Allen.

He had a slim, fairly tall build, garmented with basic clothes and with short, messy brown hair and bright green eyes...

And especially, the goofiest grin you had ever seen.

Being your intolerant self, you wanted to wipe that darn look off his face. But you didn't dare.

Turning his shining emerald eyes toward you, your Impulse warmly greeted "Hi, (Y/N)! I'm your newest Impulse, Bart Allen!"

"I know," you warily grumbled, starting to make your way toward your bedroom. "I went through the set-up moments ago. Although, you were meant to be named Barry Allen-""You know my grandpa!?" Bart excitedly exclaimed, suddenly standing in front of you. At first, you gawked at him in shock. Then, realization hit. Right. His superspeed.

Squeezing your way past him, you relied, "Of course I do. Everyone does."

"Really!?" Goodness, he seemed like a kid in a candy store. Way too happy for your liking. "That's so crash!"

Confused by his unusual term, you couldn't help but turn back toward him, an eyebrow raised. "Crash?" You rudely snorted. "What's that supposed to mean?"

"You don't know what crash means? It means, y'know, extraordinary, awesome! It's like that old 'cool' term!"

"Sounds like modern slang," you dismissed, resuming your walk as Bart followed you eagerly. "Hey, Bart, what about you go, uh, do something else?" You were feeling a bit uncomfortable.

"Why would I?"

"Why wouldn't you?"

"Because I'm meant to stay with you, to keep you company and to make you smile!" He grinned widely, resting his hands on his hips as he proudly announced, "That's what I'm programmed for!"

A sly idea crossed your mind, making you smirk. "Des that mean you'll carry out my orders if that'll make me happy?" You reached your bed and dropped your stuff down next tot it before turning toward the Impulse that was tailing you.

"Yes, totally! Anything to make you happy!" Goodness, you reminded you of a puppy.

Thankfully you didn't like them -you personally thought they were annoying- for if you did, you would've felt bad when you ordered, "In that case, go keep yourself busy while I sleep!"

"Will do!" Bart cheered before speeding out of the room. You hurriedly closed the door behind him and locked it. There, that should keep him away...

Once you got into bed, you sighed, rolling onto your back to stare at the ceiling.

With a clingy, optimistic speedster in your apartment, the next weeks would really be long.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

298K 9.9K 44
5/--/18: #2 in #theflash 6/- -/19: #7 in #theflash 8/28/19: #1 in #dccomics 5/6/21: #3 in #greenarrow She can control time. Speed it up, slow it down...
24.7K 822 24
-Cover Art By Me- BatJokes AU in High school *Completed* [Sequel is up] -------------------------------------- Story Line: Jack Napier is new to Got...
7.4K 243 10
Barry Allen was an ordinary boy living his high school life, until one day a certain someone showed up in his life which turned his life upside down...