The King & the Stable Boy

CK_Jessie által

{Royals and Peasants Book 1} [COMPLETED] {#1 in Paranormal: 02/09/18} "Laws are just as fragile as silence... Több

Copyright
The World of Anicia...
Prologue: The Queen's Stable Boy
I: Remaining Hidden
II: Avoiding him
III: Announcements
IV: A Festival
V: Blood Moon
VI: Locked Away
VII: Nana Dearest
VIII: His Anger
IX: My Rendezvous
X: Lunch and a Request
XI: Welcome to Hemming
XII: Her Prince
XIII: Markets and Libraries
XIV: Swords, Books, and Letters
XV: His Family and Gifts
XVI: Castel
XVII: The Medic's Mate
XVIII: Tailors, Smiths, and Jewelers
XIX: The Painter
XXI: The King's Mate
XXII: Fittings and Fighting
XXIII: Power Sickness
XXIV: Lords and Kings
XXV: A Birthday and an Announcement
XXVI: Rides and Swords
XXVII: A Mating Ritual
XXVIII: Crowns and Rings
XXIX: Preparations
XXX: Coronation
XXXI: New Members of the Court
XXXII: The Queen's Spite (The Cocky Pretentious Bastard's Mate)
XXXIII: The City (Natus Part One)
XXXIV: Dealings and that Damned Enfield (Natus Part Two)
XXXV: We Need to Talk About Hazelwren (Natus Part Three)
XXXVI: Piled High
XXXVII: There are Dragons in the Sky
XXXVIII: Harpies
XXXIX: Bacchus' Clan
XL: Aphrodite Scorned
XLI: The Orphanage
XLII: The Dagger
XLIII: Snowed In
XLIV: The Letters
XLV: Maddox
XLVI: Adoption
XLVII: Our People
XLVIII: Dacre
XLIX: Zion
L: Rebellion
LI: Throwing Down the Gauntlet
LII: The Kids are Alright
LIII: Calm in the Streets of Ream
LIV: Guillotine
Epilogue: End of an Era
BONUS CONTENT?
BONUS: Roles Reversed
BONUS: Forgotten Blocker
BONUS: The King's Mate
BONUS: The King's Mate II
Fiction Awards
More BONUS content? And Ko-fi
Malick's Story
???
TALE OF A MEDIC OUT NOW
BONUS: It's Been Six Years... (I'm so Sorry)
BONUS: It's Been Six Years... (I Blame Myself)
BONUS: It's Been Six Years... (Well A Bit More Now)
BONUS: It's Been Six Years... (And Our Paths Have Both Been Rocky)
BONUS: It's Been Six Years... (I'm Listening)
BONUS: It's Been Six Years (Fools and Thieves)

XX: Cabin

25.1K 1.1K 156
CK_Jessie által

Hello, it's me the author. This is the fluffiest chapter y'all may ever get, so enjoy it.

3215 words, one of the longest yet.

---
Noah

I return the castle only to be met by a very concerned looking William as I return to his wing, realizing I had left the key to his mother's stable in his room.

"My mom told me that you went to the city. Why didn't you tell me?" he questions.

Oh shit, I knew I forgot to do something before I left.

"Oh sorry, it must have slipped my mind. I'll make sure to let you know in the future." I promise, wrapping my hands around his waist looking up at him.

"Good. Did you bring guards with you, because you know how sometimes there are bandits on the loose in the market, and I would hate for you to-"

I kiss him to shut him up and pull away looking him in the eyes.

"I did, and I'm okay. See, no dried blood or anything. Where are all of these worries coming from?" I ask.

"I'm just- It's going to be weird once you're announced. I logically know you can handle yourself, you've proven that but then I think about the what ifs, and I can't lose you. Not now, not ever." he paces as he speaks, his hands shaking.

I grab them, kissing the knuckles and say "I promise I'll bring guards with me whenever I'm outside of the castle. Now, what is this about a cabin?"

"I've- Wait no. You'll have to wait until you get there to see it all. I told Sarah to tell the servants that you weren't to help set up as you'd be leading the horse over there, so no peaking." he shakes his head, realizing my tricks.

"You know I don't like surprises." I pout.

"This one will be worth it, I promise. Samara will be here later to act as a decoy on the horse, then she'll ride it back later on. It will draw some suspicions and make things more obvious."

"You're no fun. If she's here she won't let me sneak over."

"Exactly."

I roll my eyes and make a move to leave the room to show my annoyance but he grabs my arm and pulls me back.

"I need to go to the stables," I whine.

"How are you supposed to do that if you don't have the key?" he questions, dangling the keys above his head.

I glare at him, knowing I'm not tall enough to reach it without hopping, and knowing him he'd switch hands as soon as I came close to taking them back.

"Give them back."

"No. You have to do something for me first."

"Ugh fine. What do you want."

"A kiss."

Simple enough.

I go to give him a quick peck, but he wraps one hand around my waist and the other on my head, pulling me closer, deepening the kiss.

I pull away after a few seconds and give him a playful glare.

"A deal's a deal," I state, the matter of factly.

He chuckles, handing them to me, and I'm tempted to swat him for his foolishness but decided against it.

I leave his room, only to hear a yelp as it swings open.

"Your Majesty, excuse my- Wait, Noah? What were you doing in the King's chambers?" a voice questions.

I turn in that direction to see Iris.

"Oh, I left my keys to the stables in there. What are you doing in King William's wing?" I counter.

"Sarah ordered me to go and get the plans for tonight from his study." she holds up a piece of rolled up parchment. "Why would your keys be in his bedroom?"

Before I could even fathom a lie to reply with, I heard a piercing voice sounding from the end of the hallway.

"Iris! Are you dilly-dallying? You know we don't have much time to- " Sarah stops in front of the pair of us glaring. "Noah? Are you wasting time as well? You're supposed to be tending to horses not bugging the king for details."

"I wasn't bugging him for details or anything else you expect. I just needed to grab my keys from his room is all."

She gives me a look that gave me the impression that she didn't believe a word I was saying, but she still dropped it, shooing us both off on our duties.

My stable duties could not have gone on longer. Maybe it was the mix of excitement about the night ahead mixed with the fact the horses were especially difficult with me today, but none the less, dusk could not have come later.

I made my way to my room, deciding to pass through the common room rather than the gardens and stopped dead in my tracks as I heard the conversation was about me.

"That's absurd." one voice cries out.

"I'm just pointing out the possibility! Think about it. Noah is definitely a possibility." someone, it sounded like Iris, says.

I'm a possibility for what?

"His Majesty said he had a she-wolf-"

"He said he had a wolf for a mate, never said she-wolf." Iris points out.

"The 'she' was most definitely implied. Plus we all know Noah has a mate, Rachel has seen her before."

"Actually, I just saw him with a girl that day, I had no idea if she was his mate or not. I'm not saying Iris is right, but what if she isn't wrong?"

"Are you all hearing yourselves? This is madness. We'll all get hanged if either of them heard us speaking this way."

"It's not madness. Think about it. They both go missing the same time during the festival, and both reappear after a week saying they were with their mates. Has anyone of you ever seen either of their marks? Noah hasn't gone shirtless since then in anyone's presence except for Ramos'. Plus have any of you seen him anywhere near his bedroom? Plus, he's always mysteriously near the King's wing. Just today he told me he left his stable key's in the King's bedroom. Why would he have any of his belongings in there in the first place?"

"I did see them strangely close together in the halls the other day."

"Noah used to come and go out of the castle alone, and recently I've noticed him bring guards around with him."

"He called the King by his first name just yesterday."

The entire room broke out into a murmer of people beginning to piece things together.

"Wait! This is all suspicion. We don't know anything for certain. We shouldn't be going wild in these conspiracies, riling each other up only for it all to be false later on. We need solid proof. One of us needs to see or find something that confirms it entirely." one maiden speaks up.

It was then I decided it would be best for me to backtrack and act as if I had just come through.

As I walk into the room, everything grows dead silent and everyone quickly glances at me before restarting the conversation.

"Hey, Noah. How are Her Majesty's horses?" Rachel approaches me, smiling.

"Fine. They were a bit restless, however. Tonight's ride should be good for them. Speaking of which, we need extra hands to help with them tonight. Would you be willing to help out? I'll be helping serve so I won't be able to keep the beasts."

"Me really?" she says, shocked.

"Of course. I trust you most out of everyone in the stables. You've covered me before, and they like you." I say, sincerely.

"You won't regret this."

"I know I won't. Now we have little time to get ready, so go and get in uniform, we meet by the start of the trails."

With that, she nods, going off.

We don't really need extra hands, but William did say he'd prefer everyone being in high speculations of us before he announces it. What better way than to give them a witness?

Hopefully Sarah wouldn't have my head.

I walk back towards my old room and bump into Samara and Sarah on the way there.

"Oh good. Glad I caught you. I asked Rachel to help with horses tonight, so she'll be accompanying us." I tell Sarah.

"Why on Earth would you do such a stupid thing? What if she exposes you?" she says, a look of worry clear on her face.

"Aren't I outing myself to an entire kingdom and then to two more next week?" I counter.

"Fine. I'll trust your judgement."

"Also, the insistent yelling at me could be toned down. I know your enjoying your last few moments of being able to order me around, but I'm afraid you'll let it go to your head and order me to pick up horse dung with my hands. If it comes to that I'm rebelling."

She rolls her eyes but nods.

"Noah I have your clothes for tonight too. We looked through your closet spaces and couldn't find anything of your uniform other than the boots and cape, but that's fine. You're wearing this anyway.  Clarissa dropped them off." Samara says, handing me the clothes that are cautiously dangled on her for arm.

I thank her, then go into my chambers to change into them.

Moments later I'm looking at myself in the mirror, inspecting the clothes Clarissa had made for me. They were the kingdom's colors but not anything like any of the uniforms the castle had. The slacks were a dark green that looked more black in low lighting , and the blouse was white with gold accents. The regular boots and cape fit it surprisingly well.

I go out of the room, seeing that Rachel looked as if she was about to knock.

"I was told to give your this." she says simply, handing me a mask.

"Thanks." I put it on and we both begin to make the track over to the trails. "Are you nervous to meet the king's mate?"

"Of course I am! It's not everyday you get to meet your future queen." she exclaims.

"She's an interesting character, I can tell you that much. A bit unexpected, but she makes His Majesty happy from what I've seen."

"You've met her?"

"Many times. I knew her before she was his mate after all."

"What's she like?"

"Very like her mate's mother in her youth. Head strong, stubborn, and intelligent. She's good for him."

"Do you think you'll be able to ride in rank being the new Queen's friend and all."

"Maybe, but I would never ask her that directly. I wouldn't want her to feel used by those she used to know."

Rachel nods at this.

"That must be a struggle coming from a lower class than nobility and mating up the ranks. You become unsure of many of your old friends."

"Exactly. Sometimes they are the first to betray you."

We walked the rest of the way in silence. Once we got there, Ramos and Sarah were already mounted on their steads, as well as Samara.

As Rachel and I mounted two of our own, Samara questions "Which one of you actually know the way to this cabin?"

"I do." I say, swinging my left leg over the horse and placing it into the stirrup.

"Then by all means, lead the way." she replies, gesturing forward.

With that I began leading the small party forward on the right center trail, directing them which trails to turn on.

"Gods, I never thought you would live this long." Samara says, trying to strike up conversation.

"Me? Why would you say such a thing?" I question.

"You are the one who turned William's hair into snakes, are you not?"

"I am but I did it as a sign of affection. A witch in the city turned it back."

"Yes but know his designer Marissa is making him a whole snake skin outfit to taunt him."

This caused me to chuckle.

"I'm sure he'll be just as attractive in it, don't worry a hair on that head of yours."

"I'm not worried about his appearance. Gods know he could make a potato sack look good. I'm worried about his mental health."

"You're so dramatic."

"When he tries to murder you a second time, we can discuss whether I'm truly dramatic or not."

"He wouldn't murder, Noah. His mother would have his head." Sarah interjects.

"Oh yes, how could we forget. Noah's the son the Queen always wanted." Ramos adds.

"She's said it to her actual son's face too." I boast.

The rest of the ride continues with the four of us jabbing at each other and Rachel silently riding along side is all. Once we finally reach this cabin we all dismount, leading the stallions into the stables there, taking off their saddles before we all head inside.

"I'll pour us some drinks as we wait for the king to appear and wisk his mate away." Ramos proclaims, going straight for the cupboards.

"I'm going to find a restroom." I excuse myself, getting a few clipped responses from the others who are all shouting out what kind of spirits Ramos should serve them.

I didn't really need to go and use one, I just needed an excuse to snoop around. The cabin was huge, and the two rooms I've passed thus far had fire places.

I was about to look through another room when two hands wrapped around my waist, and pulled me back.

"I thought I told you no snooping." William scolds.

"My guardians left me alone." I reply, turning to face him.

He shakes his head and then gives a curious sniff to the air.

"Who else is in the cabin besides, Ramos, Samara, Sarah, Roman, and Malick?" he questions me.

"I told Rachel to come along to take care of the horses. Why are Roman and Malick here?" I counter.

"Ever since Malick's Birthday the two have been swamped with work and haven't had much bonding time, so I put my mother's old head of guard in charge and Malick's second in command. Why would you bring extra hands on site?"

"You did say how you wanted the castle to have speculations and then one moment that confirms it all before the announcement. The speculation has already occurred so I thought, why not give them an answer?"

He chuckles at this nodding his head in agreement with my call, before saying "Why don't we go join the others?"

"Or you can join them while I keep exploring?"

He rolls his eyes dragging me along back to the kitchen where I left the other four who are now accompanied by Malick and Roman who are looking at Rachel curiously.

"This is Rachel. She'll be tending to the horses tonight." William introduces.

"Oh." Malick says.

"Roman, Malick, you two have been on site the longest, you can show everyone to their assigned rooms. I'll be in the far wing with my mate, I expect to remain undisturbed unless I call for assistance. As always, you-" he points to Sarah "-are in charge. Samara come. Noah grab a bottle of wine."

The two of us trailed after him, I with a bottle of wine at hand, and we all stopped at the end of the hall where we were met with a single door. William pulls it open smiling at me, and on the other side I'm met with a great sight.

The room was massive, bigger than ours back at the castle, a bed hiding in the corner but more common area furniture scattered. There were a few platters of my favorite dishes left out, and a statue of a wolf and a man bending down next to him at the center of the room.

"What is this?" I question, gasping as I step farther into the room, taking in the finer details.

"Call it an anniversary gift. You haven't even seen the best part." he walks over to a set of glass french doors just barely visible under the curtains, pulling them open.

I walk out onto the balcony and look out.

"A garden?" I say, looking at him curiously.

"A lavender garden, but that's not the important part, look past the trees."

Beyond the trees I could see it. The waterfall where this all truly began.

"Let it be known that while the common belief that your a strict bastard is sometimes suiting, your a cheesy romantic asshole under the disguise." I tease.

I liked it. It was like everything coming full circle in a way. The opposing color of purple over the green with the waterfall as a back drop. It was a true testament to how far we've come.

"I was going to go for the room that overlooked the mountains, but Samara told me you'd appreciate this more."

I turn hugging my best friend, but I couldn't let her off without insulting her so I said "You bitch, giving out my secrets."

She hugs me back saying "You're welcome."

As we hugged, I could have sworn I saw a shadow in the hallway, but chalked it up to a trick in the light as I didn't hear footsteps, nor could I smell anything more than Samara, my mate, and the lavender outside.

Soon after, Samara left us to ourselves and William suggested we go out into the private garden.

I ended up shifting into my wolf form and he shifted into a wolf as well. We both played a childish game of tag and ended up shifting back in fits of laughter.

We both redressed and sat on a bench.

"Was this surprise worth the suspense?" he questions.

"Definitely. It was much simpler than I expected, but I enjoyed it a lot more than I would have anything extravagant." I admit.

"What were you expecting to be waiting for you here?" he questions, eyeing me curiously.

"I don't know. Seven horses as a gift, a parade, maybe? Whatever it was it definitely wasn't this. I can't think of anything that could make it better." I reply honestly.

"I'm glad."

"I wish we could stay like this. No duties, no one to boss around or to boss us around. Just the two of us and this garden." I tell him, closing my eyes, leaning back.

When I reopen them he's in front of me with a jewelry box.

"I was going to give this to you slightly later in the night, but now might be the best time."

"What-"

"I'll make you a promise. After the announcement, the coronation, after the biannual kingdom tour or anytime in between, if things ever get too much for you, for the both of us, we'll return here. We'll take a break and return stronger and calmer than before. This will be a reminder of that." William opens the box and within it are two twin rings, both resembling a thin vine that has been wrapped to fashion a golden band with amethyst and jade gemstones decorating the leaves.

I take the bigger of the two out and he grabs the other, both of us exchanging them then the others left hand.

After our weird ritual of sorts I pull him into a hug.

"You asshole, I promised myself I wouldn't cry tonight." I whisper.

"You're welcome." he whispers back.

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

84.2K 3.7K 44
Locked in the castle tower without even a name, The Raven dreams of one day being free. He learns the hard way, it seems, that dreams are not meant f...
1.7M 98.4K 37
*COMPLETED* (08.05.20) Noah Sorin is a 17-year-old genius who is sent on a mission to the Elite high school, Bran Prep High. His investigation? Vampi...
467K 19.5K 57
Donny has to move. Because his mother gets a promotion in another country and he knows he can't leave her alone, he starts at a new university for hi...
590K 4.8K 10
Just a collection of boyxboy oneshots I made! Happy reading! :) *** These stories contain romance between two boys. If you're not okay with that then...