Cowboy Take Me Away

By roansNropes

#1 in Cowgirl #1 in Rodeo #1 in Farm #1 in Country Cooper Blackwood, new to Hudson, is a deep-roote... More

Home
Wolf Girl
Ex boyfriend
Trouble
His Story
Screw Feelings
I'll Find out
Hangin' With The Boys
Blood On My Tiles
Hold It
Dad no.
Filler
Author's Note
Check Yourself
Oh Man
Everything But This
Not Helping The Situation
Cat's Out of The Bag
Well What A Shame
Whoops
Mixed Feelings
I Already Knew
Amazed
Sister Sister
Dancin' Boots
The Outlaw
Weird
Excuse Me?
Fireworks
Promise?
Broken
Son of a bitch
Only Memory
Oh, Okay
Final
It All Comes Out
New Beginnings
Oh, thanks?
The Scar
Glass Heart
Wasted Time
Church Whispers
Dammit Mom!
The Speech
The Picture
Never Go Home
The Picture (Cooper's POV)
20 Questions
Mr. and Mrs.
Epilogue
Other Works By Me!

Think of Me

18.2K 313 42
By roansNropes

I stirred on the couch, trying to find the right position to fall asleep. Oh who was I kidding, it wasn't the discomfort that was keeping me awake, it was Cooper. After everything that happened, he tried calling me half an hour later, but I ignored it. Cooper texted me, and I replied back to him that I needed some time to think, and he texted me back, I didn't respond, and then he called me again. 

Cooper knows that I don't like when he gets into fights, but I'm not saying that to control his life. It's just I don't want him getting into trouble, it just gets him even more pissed off. I know Cooper can resist fighting, he just needs help, and I am going to be the one to help him. 

But as I lay here and think about tonight more, I realized the real reason I was like that, is because of Wade. He'd be the one who made me angry. Thinking of what he did to me really got me on edge, and it didn't help that Stetson was making it worse. I don't know what happened to Stetson after, but I'm sure he ran off to get "comforted" by the first girl he saw. 

I threw the covers off me and I sat up on the couch, I needed to go talk to Cooper and apologize. I looked at the time, 12:13, maybe he was still up. I grabbed my sweatshirt off the coat rack and pulled it over my head, and slipped on my moccasins and quietly went outside and headed for Cooper's trailer. 

When I got closer, I saw a tiny light on in his trailer, he was still up. Maybe he had the same problem as me. I played with the hems of my arm sleeves and walked up to the door of the trailer, and then I knocked on the door. As I was waiting, I realized it was really cold outside, and I was just wearing a sports bra under my loose sweatshirt, and wearing running shorts. The door finally opened and Cooper looked very confused until he saw it was me. 

Neither of us said anything, just stared at each other, "Come in, it's cold out here." He spoke first and grabbed my hand and pulled me in. Cooper switched on a light, and then I saw his face clearly, he had a tiny scrap above his eye and there was still some blood on his nose and looked a little bruised. 

"You missed some blood." I said to him and he gave me an are-we-really-doing-this look. He just looked at me, so I got up and grabbed a wash cloth, ran some cold water on it, and then turned to him. He relaxed his shoulders once he realized I wasn't so pissed not to help him. I took a couple of steps to him, reached up and gently cleaned the blood off his face. 

"I'm sorry." He said after I pulled down my hand, so we were still close. "But that jackass deserved it. I saw him talking to you and how he was so close to you, and I was mad but I calmed myself down. But when I saw him put his hand on your hip, I knew it made you feel uncomfortable, so it made me uncomfortable. When he didn't accept no, that's when the anger set in. I saw the look on your face and that's when I walked up to him and said something. But he was the one the throw the first punch. I just saw-" I cut him off with a hug, my head was turned against his chest, and I wrapped my arms around his mid-back. He was quick to hug me back, he even let out a sigh of relief. "Are you okay?" He asked me and I pulled away. 

"Yeah, it's just that when he kept touching me on my scar, flashbacks of Wade took over. I blacked out because it was just too much for me." I said as I climbed the stairs to his bed and lied there until he came up with me. We laid next to each other,  turning our heads took look at each other. "I have to apologize too. I think the main reason I was mad is because of Wade. It makes me angry because he's gone and he still has control of me, I'm sick of it."

"I'm sorry, is there any way I can help?" He asks. 

"I just don't wanna talk about it.." I sigh and then he nods. "Can I ask you a question?" He just 'mhm's to me.  "Is there any way you can stop your need to fight?"

"I don't feel the need to fight, Kota.." He sighed and turned his head and looked up at the ceiling. I still looked at Cooper, and I started to admire his features. I wonder what his dad looks like, was he just as handsome as Cooper? "I just don't like it when people disrespect someone or me.." 

"So it's more of a pride thing?" I asked him, he still hadn't turned his head to look at me. 

"I guess you could say that. It's just I grew up around that stuff, I saw my dad do it all the time. I know it's not right, but I guess I do it because I'm not good with words. I'd rather use my fists to make my point, rather than try to talk it out." He said, and I could tell in his voice that he was getting frustrated and some what disappointed with himself. 

"Well a lot of guys think that, but I could see how your background influences you more than others. You know what I think?" I asked him and my question got him to turn his head back to meet my eyes. "I think you just need something to keep you from getting the urge to punch."

"How so?" He scrunched his eyebrows at me. 

"Oh I don't know," I turned my head this time, "When you wanna punch someone, you just gotta think of what could calm you down." I sighed and the silence between us told me that we were both thinking. "Like a happy place."

"I can't think of anything." He said and I saw him look at me. 

"Well what is the one thing that makes you forget about everything else going on?" I said to him, while I was still thinking. 

"You." He said and then I turned my head to meet his eyes. His eyes were serious, but also displayed a pretty light brown color that spelled out 'love'. Hearing him say that made the butterflies go off in my stomach, I couldn't help but be happy. We didn't look away from each other, the moment was too perfect to spoil with words. "You're the one that makes me feel that everything will be okay. Just the thought of you, Kota, strengthens me." He said then ran his finger over my arm, just for second but it meant everything. 

"Okay, so what do you like doing with me the most?" I asked him in a whisper, because quite frankly, he took my breath away. 

I followed his eyes down my hand at my side, and then his thumb traced the back of my hand and then stopped. "I like when you hold my hand," I returned stroking the back of his hand and then I intertwined our fingers together, both our gazes looked at our hands. "Holding your small hand in mine symbolizes that we're a couple, and no one else matters but us. I like feeling your enticing soft hand against my calloused hand. Holding your hand is holding a small part of you, and to me, that is the only thing that matters." I realized I was still looking at our hands, so I looked back up to Cooper, who was already looking at me with those loving eyes. Right now I was feeling that feeling you get when you want to cry, but there's no tears in your eyes. 

I rolled over so my chest was against his side and I put my left hand on the other side of him and I didn't waste any time to kiss him. His right hand tucked a piece of loose hair behind my hair, the warm touch of his finger gliding against my skin made me melt inside. Then he cupped my face with that free hand. This kiss was just, wow. Very romantic and passionate. I gave his hand a squeeze and then I pulled back from our sweet kiss. "You were wrong." I said to him and he gave me a confused look. 

"About what?" He asked me and I smiled at him. 

"You're very good at words." A laugh escapes my lips, but then I become serious as I lied down beside him again, but closer to him this time. "That means a lot, Coop. Thank you." I say and lean my head against his shoulder, and rub my thumb across his hand. 

"I like this." He said after a while of silence. His voice was quiet, like he didn't want anyone to hear us. 

"Like what?" I asked him. 

"Talking to you when it's 1 o'clock in the morning, everything seems so simple and it makes it feel like we aren't hiding from everyone." 

"Yeah," I mumble as I disconnect our hands and I turn my body and drape my arm across his stomach and put my head in the crook of his neck. His left hand started drawing circles on my back, "Well everyone except for your mom." I chuckle and his chest lets one out too. "But I like being with you, I wish I could do it all the time. But for now, I just wanna go to sleep." I say and finally close my eyes. 

"What about your parents, won't they notice you gone in the morning?"

"I've already set my alarm clock for four, they aren't up by then. Good night, Cooper." I say and snuggle into him more. 

"Good night, pretty girl." He said and then kissed the top of my forehead. 

*******************

"C'mon! Run!" I say to Pharaoh as we run home in our run. Once he finishes the run I pull back and turn him to the left and he comes to a slow lope and then we exit the arena, "The time for DaKota and Pharaoh is 16.31! This time puts her in second, and there is only one run left!" I give Pharaoh a nice pat on the neck and a good job. Also a nice pat on the butt, because he enjoys that. 

I get off Pharaoh and pulled the reins over his head and immediately loosened his cinch, to let him know he did a good job and let him relax. I pull the reins over his head and begin walking him our trailer. I look down as I walk and I fix my purple cinch shirt, and I admire my Cowgirl Tuff Jeans, my Ariat square toes, and my gold oval belt buckle from a Jackpot in Wyoming. That was most of my outfit, but my hair was down in my natural curls, and I had the classic barrel racer ear-rings in, big silver crosses. 

I reached the trailer and tied him to it, and then I took off his sport and bell boots and threw them to the side, and then I removed all of his tack, and then put it in the tack compartment neatly. After that I went up to Pharaoh, who was currently submerging his head into the portable water trough and playing with the water, making me laugh at him. Pharaoh had two sides to him: serious and seriously goofy! I went up to him and felt his skin, to my luck it wasn't hot, so it meant I didn't have to spray him, just brush him. 

I grabbed the pick from the grooming box and went to his front leg and bent down and pulled it up, so I was able to pick out his hooves. I did that to the other three legs and then I grabbed the curry comb and starting going over his beautiful coat. "Great run sis." I heard from behind me and I stopped grooming Phar and looked behind me at my brother. 

"Thanks Caleb, congrats on the check." I smiled at him and he shrugs at me, making me frown. 

"I barely even got a check." He mutters and I roll my eyes at him. 

"You still got a check and the other 20 guys didn't, so stop that." I scolded him and returned my attention to my horse. 

"How are you the wise one?" He asks me and then I hear him grab the other curry comb and then he goes to Pharaoh's left side and starts combing. 

"Because I'm your little sister and it's my job, but I think Ashley's doing a good job of that, don't you think?" I say to him and look at him and he scoffs at me. 

"Maybe a little too much." 

"Oh shut up Caleb, you know she's always right when it comes to your decision making." I point my finger at him and then I reach down and grab the dandy brush and throw it at him and then grab one for me. 

"Oh yeah? What about that one time," He cuts himself off as if thinking about it more, "Yeah nevermind, you're right." He says and then I roll my eyes in an obvious way. "So how ya feeling about last night?"

Last night with Stetson and Cooper or last night in Cooper's bed? 

"I'm fine, Cooper came up to me and apologized earlier, even though I wasn't mad at him." I shrug and continue to brush. 

"Well I sure as hell wouldn't of apologized, I'd be damned if I didn't do the same thing." Cooper says in a matter-of-fact tone. 

"What do you mean?" I ask him. 

"Don't take this the wrong way, but in your situation, if I saw someone doing that to you, I'd make sure they couldn't touch anyone like that for the rest of their lives." He says in a very confident tone. "Plus your my little sis, I'm actually a little sad I didn't see the bastard first. But Cooper saved my ass from getting an ass chewing from dad if I got into another fight." 

"Yeah, thank God for Cooper." I muttered in a somber tone. 

"Can I ask you something?" Caleb asks me in a serious tone, which automatically makes my heart beat faster. Does he know about me and Cooper? Did he realize that Cooper fought Stetson because we're dating? Did he see me get into Cooper's trailer? 

"Yeah." I mumble, scared to say anything else. 

"Is it true?" 

"Is what true?" I ask him in a curious voice, really paying attention to my horse's well-being. 

"Is it true Cooper came to our house with flowers and asked dad's permission to take you on a date?" Relief came over me as I realized I didn't have to lie to Caleb. 

"Yeah, why?" I asked him and he handed me the dandy brush and then I handed him the soft brush, and got myself one, and continued. 

Caleb chuckles and he looks impressed and that he can't believe it, "That takes a lot of balls, especially how much dad has expressed to Cooper that he doesn't like him. It's a shame that it didn't work out."

Too bad I didn't listen..

"Yeah, a shame." I muttered again and took a deep breath and watched the dust fly off my horse's coat. 

"Would of you said yes if dad let you?" Caleb asked me and I automatically stopped brushing. 

Crappers. 

What do I say to that? 

"I would of sa-"

"Hey DaKota, come with me to get our checks!" A familiar voice said behind us, and I turned around to see my savior, Dallas. She literally saved me from answering the question I didn't know how to answer. 

"Thanks bro!" I say to Caleb and then run towards Dallas, leaving my brother to finish up my horse, he probably hates me right now... 

"Hey Dall." I greeted her and joined her as we walked to the office to receive our checks. 

"Hey girly!" She says in her sweet voice, and she goes on about talking about her run, but all I can think of is how Cooper calls me 'girly' in his sweet and charming voice that I've come to admire, I admire everything about him.

*************

It was a whole bunch of us girls sitting in the bleachers just for the competitors, they were pretty good seats, right by the chutes and close up. It was now night time and the last event of the night, bull riding. I looked up around the arena and admired how the big stadium lights illuminated the arena and you could see the moths and other insects flying around. 

"And now in the Montana State Bank chute is the hometown guy, Stetson Aimes!!" The crowd cheers for him. I look at Dallas beside me and she rolls her eyes at him, "He will be riding Kaw-Liga!" 

The bull jumps out of the chutes and busts to the right and Stetson throws his arm, and looks very in control of the bucking bull, it was a very rank bull, but Stetson was handling it. As much as I hated to see it, he made the ride, and it was good. People cheered, but none of us girls for various reasons. "How about 85 points on the ride!?" People cheered loudly and I rolled my eyes. 

"And now, for the last rider of the night in the Grizz Chute we have Cooper Blackwood of hometown Little Rock, Arkansas! And to your luck ladies and gentlemen, we saved the best for last, Cooper will being riding the rankest bull provided by Rinell Bucking Bulls, Your Mama's Hoss!" People cheered and clapped, while my heart race started to quicken. 

I watched intently as Cooper nodded his head and the raging bull exploded out of the chute, jumping maybe four feet in the air, but Cooper stayed balanced. The bull had wicked sharp turns and unexpected jumps, he was truly rank. But Cooper made it look easy, super easy. Cooper threw his arm like a pro, and looked like he was on a practice barrel! The buzzer went off and the bull bucked and Cooper went into the air, but barely landed on his feet, running away from the still-bucking bull. 

All of us girls cheered for him, it was one hell of a ride! "I told you folks that we saved the best for last! And I think his score proves that! 87.5 points for the young cowboy! That'll get him a paycheck and a buckle! Great ride Cooper!" I hollered after this, Dallas joining me, making me not feel so embarrassed after I did it. 

Dallas and I were walking back to our trailers, talking about Dallas' worst memory of high school. I mostly laughed at her and listened, because she really enjoyed telling stories, so I didn't want to ruin it for her. "Huh-oh, 12 o'clock." Dallas said while ducking her head and I looked up and Stetson was walking straight for us, and soon enough he was a couple of feet in front of us. 

I looked up at him and the street lamps barely illuminated his face just enough to see the bruises Cooper caused. I didn't feel one ounce bad for him. "I just wanted to apologize for last night, and I hope that one day you'll look at me the same way you once day. I really am sorry.." He said, and I could tell in his voice he meant it.

"I appreciate it, Stetson.." I shivered, but I looked at him for a bit, and then he walked away from us, leaving us both in shock from his sudden apology.

"Well that was.." Dallas said. 

"Awkward." I finished for her and then I looked up again and realized we were at my trailer. "Well I'll see you tomorrow Dallas, good night!" I said to her and she waved, "Night." She smiled too. 

I opened the door to my trailer and my mom and dad were already in there, both having a glass of water. "Good job tonight kiddo." My dad says to me, making me smile. 

"Up for a game of Uno?" My mom says and I nod at her and then they both sit down at the couch-booth seat and I go to the fridge to grab a bottle of water. As I close the fridge door, I feel a buzz in my back pocket. I pull out my phone and see a text from Cooper, "Meet me at the weird street light." I knew exactly where he was talking about. 

I turned to my parents, "Dallas just texted me and asked me to help her find her wallet, do you mind?" I asked and they both shrugged, indicating I could go.

Cooper was leaning against the wooden light, his black cowboy hat shielding his face. People called this the weird street light because it was lop-sided, it was just.. weird. When Cooper heard my boots on the dirt, he looked up and smiled. "Hey." And then he snaked an arm around my waist, took off his hat and kissed me, slightly dipping me, making it extremely romantic. 

Cooper let me up and took his arm back to his side. "Good ridin' tonight Cowboy." I smirked at him and he did to. 

"Wish I could say the same to you. Second? Really DaKota? I'm disappointed." He says in a serious voice but I know he's joking, but I still shove his shoulder, making him laugh. "Can I tell you something?" He said as his laughter died down, and I nodded for him to go on. "I couldn't stop looking at you today, you look absolutely stunning, like always." When he says the last part he grabs both of my hands and swings them a bit. 

As we come in from a swing I lean up and kiss his cheek, "Thank you." After I kiss his cheek, I take a step closer to him. "Can I tell you something?" He nods, "It was pretty hot seeing you ride that bull." I was shocked I said that to him, my cheeks began to furiously blush. 

"Really?" I nod in response, "Then you should see me when I'm practicing at home without my shirt on." He smirks and wraps his arms around my back. 

"Can't wait." I smirked and then we both started laughing, but in my head I couldn't stop imagining him without a shirt on, being all sweaty, stop it DaKota! You can't wait to go to Church.

Nope, definitely can't wait to see him shirtless.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.4K 395 34
Anna Anderson, a fun-loving country girl, lives on a farm with her mother and a few farmhands. She loves nothing more than riding her beloved horse D...
7.7K 205 28
Sequel to Butte Star Romance Evelyn Williams, a teenage girl with a death wish. Quite literally. She trick rides for local rodeos but is ready to go...
21.9K 661 30
Charlie Reese is a sorority girl at Auburn University- the typical blonde with blue eyes in which you can see the ocean. She was raised on an apple f...
10.3K 288 17
18 year-old girl named, Carolyn, Who's mother ran off to Travel the world after Carolyn was only 3 years old. She Lived with her dad in Kansas on a s...