A Different Virus - Laura's S...

נכתב על ידי CrystalScherer

This is a second view point from my original story - A Different Virus - Heartfire. I highly advise reading... עוד

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 113.5
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 63

9.8K 1.3K 80
נכתב על ידי CrystalScherer

Taver had been surprised at our haul as he picked out his trade goods for being our guide. He left to put them with his supplies and we headed off to locate our original guide. We found him in the kitchens and took half a dozen people out for a quick test of both our and their knowledge.

They knew a lot when they pooled their knowledge, but it was no match for Diane's knowledge as an experienced Forager. They had looked surprised when I had pointed out some plants, some they hadn't known about either. They were all looking forward to the next three days. I was looking forward to it too since I would get to be outside and not stuck inside of the walls of this settlement.

It was a nice place and the people were polite, but they were still people I didn't know. Strangers. Their mere presence made me uneasy. I didn't want to let Diane out of my sight.

It turned out that my knowledge about luring zombies away got more of a workout than my knowledge of plants. Diane was focusing on the group she was training, leaving me mostly in charge of luring any zombies away and getting them stuck. The women had been stunned the first few times I did it and sent odd looks Diane's way. She thought nothing of it though, I was being careful and following all of the rules laid out in training.

I skipped along the top of a log as we headed back. It had been our second day training the group of people. Since I always ensured that I could see Diane from the corner of my eyes at all times, I noticed the instant that her body language shifted.

I looked ahead to the open gate. Others were just noticing the crowd waiting for us and started murmuring among themselves. Diane looked a bit wary, but seemed calm enough. We slowed to a stop as we approached the oddly silent group that was obviously waiting for us.

In the center three young teens were standing with their heads hanging with two different sets of very upset parents behind them. The one man pushed one of the boys forward roughly, "You tell her what you did."

The teen glanced at Diane with a slightly panicked look before returning his gaze to his shoes and stuttering, "W-we, umm, b-broke your b-bike."

The other two boys, who were obviously brothers, stepped apart to reveal a mangled twist of metal behind them. It took me a moment to recognize the twisted scrap metal as the bike and the trailer.

I was stunned. Why would they break someone else's stuff? It had been in our guest house and I didn't even recall them so much as speaking with her. Diane's eyes narrowed as they brightened a bit, but she was obviously preventing them from glowing. She was silent, but her body language said that she was not impressed. I wondered what thoughts were rolling through her head.

Her eyes locked onto the pair of brothers and they stared at her with wide eyes, stunned by her eye color. Her voice was somewhat irritated, "How did you manage this? And why? I do not recall having any sort of grudge with you."

All three boys turned red, the brothers were still unable to tear their eyes away from Diane's direct gaze. I wondered if she was even aware that she was doing it. Today wasn't a good day to inquire about it though.

One of the brothers spoke up shakily and quietly, "W-we're sorry. We didn't mean to break it. We wanted to take it for a spin to see how hard it was to ride for a long time with a trailer in tow. Anthony came along and didn't realize that it wasn't ours and he took it off some jumps before we realized that he had it. And, umm..."

The other brother picked up as his brother faltered, "The trailer slid sideways and went off the top of a ridge. He jumped from the bike when the trailer started to pull the bike over the edge. We are sorry."

They hung their heads in shame. They must be referring to that massive bluff on the other side of the town. I wondered how they had gotten the bike back to town. It couldn't have been easy since that was a nearly vertical slope.

Diane took a deep breath and her voice sounded much calmer, but had an edge to it, "I am happy that none of you were hurt. However, I am very disappointed that you took my bike without asking for permission."

The father of the one teen spoke up, "It was your property that they damaged, so their punishment is in your hands. Within reason, of course. We don't want them dead or bedridden when we could be getting extra chores out of them."

I wrinkled my nose. Diane wasn't the sort to punish someone to the point of death or severe injury. No, that wasn't her style at all. She had never spanked me, and even if she had raised her voice, it was usually in training. She had never yelled at me.

Diane was silent for some time, "Did they unload my supplies before taking my bike?"

The father nodded, "Yes, everything else is undamaged."

Her eyes half closed as she thought, "Are there any working bikes in town?"

The two boys slowly shook their heads no. Even I knew that this town wouldn't sell a horse, they were too valuable now. Besides, even with all of the stuff Diane had collected, it wasn't equal to the price of a horse.

I caught sight of Taver at the back of the crowd and grew worried. Without a bike or horse, he assumed that we couldn't keep up. He could readily back out of our deal at this point and return the supplies.

Diane spoke slowly, "Rack your brains for any type of transportation that we might find. Even if we found an old bike in the river that we could fix up quickly. Other than that, you saw my trade supplies. I want you to arrange for fair trades taking the large objects and trading them for smaller and lighter objects of the same value. Leave the medications and bug spray, those are light and valuable.

"I want everything to fit in a small backpack when you are done. Once we are gone, as your main punishment, you will spend one day with every person in this base, helping them with whatever chore they would have otherwise helped with. You will gain an appreciation for all of the work that goes on in this place."

Their expressions were an odd combination of relief and suspense. Relief that she had not ordered a beating for them, although their fathers might also have something reserved as punishment. Suspense as they had an inkling of what kind of work they would be having to do.

People loved to offload the most demanding or worst tasks and a year could be a very long time to get stuck with such tasks. I was glad that I was not in their shoes. Yet, even as Diane had pointed out, it would also teach them all about what kept this place running.

One of the mothers poked one of the brothers in the back, "Well, what do you say? She has been quite generous, most here would have given you several stripes with a willow switch on top of even worse chores."

The boy jumped as she managed to hit the kidney in her jab. Either she had uncannily good luck or she knew the best spot to prod for an immediate reaction. "Uh, thank you miss."

The one father scowled at his two boys, "You two go arrange those trades, and they better be fair or I will have your hide. Get going."

All three teens took off. The way their fathers were looking at them, I didn't blame them.

The father sighed as he stepped towards Diane, "I am very sorry for what happened. They have never done anything like this in the past and have never bothered any guests or traders."

Diane nodded, "We will figure something out. All else fails, it won't be the first time we have traveled on foot. With luck there is another bike in decent shape hiding somewhere and we will find it."

The man shook his head, "No such luck, or the boys would have brought it home long ago. If you ever pass through or need a place to stay we have a guest room in our place and you are welcome to it as long as you may need it."

Diane replied, "Thank you. I will keep your offer in mind. At the moment, I think I need to reassure Taver that I still won't be slowing him down and then go supervise those teenagers."

So she had noticed him back there and had the same thoughts I had. People started breaking up and leaving now that the boys had their deeds revealed and the punishments assigned. Taver had a frown as he headed for us.

"Without that bike you aren't going to be able to keep up. They ain't going to give up one of their horses, they need all of the nags they have to get the crops in."

Diane shrugged, playing it cool, "I probably can keep up and I am used to traveling. I was out all day and I am not even tired. I may arrive exhausted, but we will keep up."

He raised an eyebrow skeptically, "And that little girl of yours? There is no way she can keep up."

I wrung my hands in front of me nervously. Diane remained calm, "I will carry her on my shoulders. I saw your pile of goods, so I know your horses won't be moving that fast. I can give more supplies to you as part of our previous trade, to both lighten my load and slow your horse down a bit."

It sounded very reasonable to me, but I knew that she was capable of covering more ground in a day than any horse. I tried to look at it from a normal person's perspective. Most people would not be able to keep up to a horse on foot, and that didn't take the zombies into consideration. Okay, I could see where Taver was coming from.

He slowly shook his head, "You two won't be able to keep up one day, let alone over a week."

Diane took a deep breath, "Then just let us try. If we can't, then we will turn back and you can keep your supplies as it was our inability to keep up. We know how to camp on the road and you know that from the simple fact that we got here. Just let us try."

He looked dubious, "Alright... But I will not be slowing down for you, so do not even ask."

Diane nodded slowly, "That is all we are asking. A chance to prove that we can keep up."

He nodded reluctantly and left. I could hardly believe my ears. Diane had somehow talked him into letting us try to keep up on foot. He still looked doubtful, like he could change his mind at any second, but he had agreed to try.

------------------------------

Author's Note:

Thanks for reading!
If you are enjoying the story, please vote. It is possible to vote on each chapter.
Such support means a lot to me.

Thank you so much!
Have an Awesome day!

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

3.5K 107 10
***this book contains suicidal thoughts and tendencies, may not be appropriate for younger audiences*** In which she looks for the purpose of life. L...
102 20 15
Blood? My wrist was covered in it. It wasn't dried up or reeked of the combination of that black gunk from all those other freaks. It was fresh and w...
650 292 15
When Echo promises her dad that she wont give up and she'll survive the apocalypse, she keeps going just for him, even when times get rough. To her...
9.9M 500K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...