Faking It || l.r.h

By Hemmocliffoodirwin

⚠️TW: Mention of abuse, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts. Read at your own risk.⚠️ - He needed someone to mak... More

1. The Break-up
2. Crush
3. Party
4. Later
5. Monday
6. Plan
7. Practice
8. Kissing Act
9. Try
10. Burn
11. Fake Date
12. Fight
13. Move On
14. Eye
15. Video
16. Bowling
17. Dinner
18. Mistake
19. Flirt
20. Tutor
21. Better
22. Forgive and Forget
23. Or Not
24. Mall
25. Trust Me
26. Movie
27. Amusement Park
28. Home
29. Gift
30. Over
31. Here We Go Again
32. Wishing We Could Start Again
33. Cookies
34. Eve
35. Christmas
36. Advice
37. Second Chances
38. Band
39. The Beach
40. Detention
41. Doubt
42. Confusion
43. Guilt
44. Truth
45. In Denial
46. Done
48. Midnight Memories
49. Netflix and Chill
50. Runaways
BONUS CHAPTER: The Reactions
The End + Thanks

47. Independence Day

6.6K 178 659
By Hemmocliffoodirwin

*Luke's POV*

"I've told you time and time again, it'll be okay. I don't care what Brooke may think, you're more important." I said as I led Avery out of her house to drive her to school. She told me what happened Saturday and it's taken every ounce of me to not go to Ashton's house and beat him to a pulp. "You may wanna, uh..." I motioned for her to pull up her hoodie to cover the bruises her dick of a dad gave her.

"Thanks." She muttered as she pulled it up as she got into my car.

"No problem." I nodded, starting up my car and pulling out.

I was a little worried about what Brooke would think but we haven't ran into her when we arrive at school together so things are okay.

"I meant for everything. You tried to warn me but I was too stubborn but I'm glad you're not rubbing it in my face or anything and I really appreciate that."

"I'm not the type to say I told you so." Even though I kind of did. "You're going through too much right now for me to do that to you."

She smiled her first smile, well half smile, in days and it made me feel a little better knowing that she'll be back to her usual self soon.

We arrived at school and headed inside together. I glanced over at her and noticed her eyes were scanning the halls, for Ashton I guess.

"Are you ready to talk to him?" I asked. Here I am, finally with the opportunity to tell her how I truly feel and I'm talking to her about her ex-boyfriend. I really am the biggest idiot I know.

"What? No, no way. He lied to me and I don't want to look at him ever again. I don't want to talk to him, I don't even want to talk about it." She said, stopping at her locker.

"Okay then." I said, raising my hands up. "We won't talk about him anymore, but it's not healthy to keep your feelings bottled up." I'm one to talk. "I can tell that you won't be giving him another chance but I still think the two of you should talk so you can have some sort of closure."

"I guess you're right." She mumbled, pulling a book out. "I'll think about it."

After she finished and closed her locker, Mike and Cal came over.

"Hello you lovely people." Calum smiled, looking between me and Avery.

"How're you feeling?" Mike asked her.

"A little better. Luke has really been helping me a lot." She nodded.

"I bet he has." Cal smirked.

I nudged him and rolled my eyes. Ever since I told them about my true feelings for her, they've been giving me looks and hinting at it. I don't want them giving anything away but at least she's too distraught to notice.

"C'mon, I'll walk you to class." I put my arm around her and turned her away from them as they began to make kissy faces and flipped them off behind her back.

We walked down the hall and as if things couldn't get any better, we ran into Brooke coming out of one of the classrooms. She gave us one look and shook her head. I quickly took my arm from around Avery but Brooke already started walking away.

"Go to her, I'll be fine." Avery said.

I nodded and left her, quickly walking to catch up with Brooke.

I grabbed her arm and turned her around to face me. "Whatever you're thinking, it's not like that." I said. I knew Brooke had always thought that there was something going on between Avery and I. "She's just upset and I'm trying to comfort her."

"She's been this way for days, Luke. I think it's nice you're doing this for your friend but you can't be parading around the halls with your arm around her. How do you think that makes me look and feel?" She asked.

I sighed. "I'm sorry, Brooke, I really am. She's going through a tough time and I'm trying to comfort her, that's all."

She crossed her arms and sighed. "Okay, but can you please keep a little distance? She's got Mike and Cal too and her friend, Dolan."

"Dylan." I corrected her.

"Whatever. Just please do this for me?" She asked.

"Of course, babe." I placed my hands on her shoulders and let them drop to take both of her hands in mine. "I love you."

"I love you too." She replied. I pressed a light kiss to her lips and we set off to her first class.

I understand she's got these insecurities but she needs to understand that Avery and I are pretty close and that I'll be there for her if she needs me. We just have this connection that Brooke wouldn't be able to understand. She'd just think I was using this as some sort of excuse to cheat on her when that's not totally true. Yeah I have feelings for Avery but until I know she feels the same way, I'm not gonna pursue a relationship with her.

But the only way for me to know how she feels is to talk to her and given the state she's in, I'll probably have to wait.

-

Brooke and I walked to lunch together hand in hand. Of course, I wanted to meet up with Avery but I didn't want to suggest that to Brooke since she got a little upset earlier from seeing us together.

I noticed Avery coming from the opposite way to the double doors and I smiled, stopping Brooke from entering until Avery caught up with us.

"Hey, guys." She said, trying to sound upbeat but failing. "Listen, Brooke, I know this morning seemed pretty bad but it was just Luke being his friendly self. I don't want you to be upset with him or me because of a simple action."

"I know." She nodded. "I trust the both of you and I had a temporary moment of stupidity. I know Luke cares about me too much to do something like that. Isn't that right, babe?" She asked, wrapping her arms around my body.

"Yeah, of course." I said, rubbing my hand up and down her arm.

"Well I don't want to get in the way of your spending time with each other so I'm just gonna eat lunch with Dylan." She said, opening the door.

"You don't have to-"

"We'll see you later, then." Brooke smiled. She walked in and we followed right after, Brooke leading us to the lunch line on the other side of the cafeteria.

Her smiling was just to make her comment a little more friendly than it actually was. I know Brooke said she'd put all that jealousy and hatred behind her but I can't help but think she's lying to me and I don't like it.

Look at how big of a hypocrite I am. I don't like that she's lying to me yet I'm lying to her and my lie is a hundred times worse.

After grabbing our food, we sat at a table and I watched as Avery went to sit with Dylan and his boyfriend. I then caught Cal and Mike's eye as they went to join her and they were giving me that same look. I know I told them days ago I'd reveal how I felt but there hasn't been a good time for me to do so.

Brooke began to talk more about the retreat to Hawaii and I was only half listening. I shouldn't even be here. I should be with the one I truly love but I'm too afraid of rejection to confess how I feel. Mike and Cal seem to think she thinks of me as more than a friend and that should give me enough courage but I'm still nervous.

After lunch ended, we walked out of the cafeteria not too far behind Avery and the others. We all walked down the hall and Ashton was walking towards us. He hasn't been at school for the past few days, probably because he's too guilty to face the girl who's heart he broke.

I guess Brooke could read my thoughts 'cause the grip she had on my arm tightened.

"You should leave it alone, Luke. It's none of our business." She warned.

"It's not like I'm gonna beat him up." I said, although I was thinking about it. "He hurt her and I just want to give him a piece of my mind."

She let go of me and stepped back. "Fine, I'll see you later." She shook her head in disappointment as she left us.

I sighed as I watched her leave and stepped closer to Avery as Ashton began to make his bullshit excuse. Cal and Mike stood off to the side, I'm guessing so they could break up a fight if need be.

"I don't really need an audience." Ashton said, glaring at the three of us.

"I want them here." Avery stated, crossing her arms. "And I already told you, Ashton, we're done."

"But babe-" He began.

"Don't call me that." She cut him off.

"I was a drunk idiot, you've got to understand that. I wouldn't have done or said that stuff if I was sober." He said.

I rolled my eyes and Avery began to speak. "Drunk words are sober thoughts. It's what you were feeling deep down and that's what really hurts. I'm sorry but maybe we could be friends." She shrugged. "Eventually." She added.

"Don't give me that friends bull! That shit never works." He said angrily.

"Hey," I interjected, stepping between them, "you're lucky she gave you that option. You and I both know you don't deserve even that."

"Why is it that every time her and I try to have a conversation, you're right there putting in your two cents?" Ashton asked.

"Listen here you little-" I was cut off by Avery.

"Stop it, both of you." She said, placing her hands on our chests and pushing us away from each other. She looked at Ash. "There's no way we're getting back together, my mind is made up."

"Whatever." He scoffed, turning around and heading down the hall. Mike and Cal mumbled something about having to go to class and I turned to Avery.

"Are you okay?" I asked. I knew she wasn't totally ready to face him earlier and him approaching her caught her off guard.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She nodded.

"C'mon," I put my arm around her, "let's get you to class."

"What about Brooke?" She asked as we started walking. "Shouldn't you be with her?"

"She's in my third period and she should already be there." I replied.

"But she left because you decided to stay with me, didn't she?"

I nodded.

"I told you you don't need to jeopardize your relationship for me. I can take care of myself. You need to be careful before she dumps you again."

It'd make my life a lot easier to be honest.

"Brooke and I are fine, really." I lied. I'm sure she'll be chewing my head off about this incident later but I don't really care. Being there for Avery is all that matters to me.

"I'll see you in chemistry." She said as she disappeared into a classroom.

"Yeah, see you in chemistry." I mumbled as I began to walk to my class, which I'm late for.

I appreciate how concerned she is about my relationship but she doesn't need to be. I plan on breaking up with Brooke and be with her if everything goes well. Brooke was great but she's become clingy and controlling lately. It would've been nice if things worked out right for us but Avery came into the picture and she's who I want to be with. It's the end of the road for Brooke and I and no matter what she does or says, I won't take her back because she's not what I need.

-

I was trying to console Brooke but she wasn't having it. I don't know why I was trying to make her feel better anyway since she'll probably hate me when I breakup with her.

I went to chemistry and smiled as I approached the lab table. Mr. Hilton let us switch partners so Avery was back with me and poor Travis had to deal with Ashton. I like it this way anyway. In the beginning I didn't but who knew Avery and I would have some real chemistry?

"Hey." I smiled as I sat down.

"Hi." She glanced at me and smiled. It was much bigger than the one this morning. "Did you talk to Brooke?"

"Yeah and she's still kind of mad but don't worry." I shook my head.

"I'm sorry, if I wasn't being a weak bitch you guys wouldn't be fighting like this." She said.

"You have nothing to apologize for. She'll get over it eventually."

"Well so that you don't get in anymore trouble, I asked Dylan if he could take me home so that you two can talk. You worked hard to be with her, I don't want it to end because of me."

I wanted to say that it's too late for that. My heart hasn't been in this relationship for a long time because of her, because I care about her so much. But I couldn't respond because Mr. Hilton started class.

I was too distracted to take notes. There was too much going through my mind to focus on the bits of information he wanted us to write down. I had to figure out the best way to break up with Brooke because I can't keep stringing her along like this. She loves me but I can't return those feelings because I love Avery.

And then I've got to figure out how to tell Avery how I feel. I've been keeping it in for too long and I've got to let it out. I don't know how she'll take it since we weren't supposed to like, let alone love, each other because that was the deal. We're good friends but that's not enough for me. I want to be able to cuddle with her until she falls asleep and kiss her any and everywhere because she'd be mine and I'm the only one who could do that.

But none of that will happen if I don't have the courage to tell her the truth.

And then there's Ashton. We had been best friends even before either of us had known Avery but we've been mortal enemies lately. With all that has been going on, will we ever be friends again? We still have the band, although we rarely practice now, and Mike and Cal who I'm sure don't want to cut Ashton off but he's been...I don't even know how to describe his actions but they're terrible, like worse than ever. Maybe it's because it happened with Avery this time and because I love her I see him as the worst person in the world. I don't want this to be the end of years of friendship. I'll wait for the right time but I'll try to repair our relationship. If he's not willing then I guess we were never meant to be best friends for life.

I only half paid attention for the rest of class. Luckily there was no experiment because I had no idea what he was talking about and I wouldn't have been much help. Not that I am much help when I do pay attention anyway.

We packed up our things and left the room. As we walked side by side down the hall, I really wanted to grab her hand and intertwine our fingers like we used to. I just wanted to feel that eruption of butterflies in my stomach again.

"I'll see you tomorrow." She smiled as she jogged to catch up to Dylan.

I lamely waved and went to my car, getting in and starting it up. I needed to go home and destress before I tried to talk to Brooke. I need to choose my words carefully so we may be able to at least be friends after all of this is over.

I went straight home and went up to my room to lay down. In a perfect world, I'd be with the love of my life right now. Or even at practice with my friends. I wouldn't be questioning my choices or being unsure about what to do.

But of course this isn't a perfect world. Life doesn't always go the way you want but you'll end up happy in the end. At least I hope things end up in my favor.

There was a knock on my door and I wanted to tell whoever it was to go away, but I didn't.

"Come in." I mumbled, sitting up on my bed.

My door opened to reveal the beautiful blonde that I was supposed to be loving.

"Hey." She said quietly.

"Hi." We lock eyes for a few seconds and then mine drop to the floor.

Neither of us said a word. I would assume she'd be the first to speak since she came over.

She finally broke the silence. "I don't like us being like this." She began, using her hands to explain what this was. "I hate being mad at you."

"Then don't be." I simply stated. She had no reason to be mad. She got jealous over something so small.

"How could I not when you stay glued to Avery's side when you have a girlfriend that's in love with you?" She asked, stepping closer to me until our legs were against one another.

"But we're friends-"

"I know that," she began, climbing onto my lap and straddling my waist. I placed my hands on her hips to keep her from falling but this isn't what I want right now. "But it's like you spend more time with her than with me." She ran her fingers through my hair, a move that used to drive me crazy but now I'm almost disgusted by it because it's coming from her.

She leaned in to whisper in my ear but I couldn't make out exactly what it was. Then she nibbled on my ear before moving to my neck, biting the skin and leaving a trail of kisses.

"Brooke..." I moaned as she continued her slow torture. This isn't what I wanted right now but I couldn't get her to stop.

She moved her hands down to my crotch, palming me through my jeans as her lips finally met mine. I could feel myself getting hard and that's definitely not what I wanted right now.

I never thought I'd say this, but I was really hoping one of my family members would burst into my room uninvited like they tend to do.

I'm not enjoying this at all but I can't stop her.

Think about Avery and only Avery.

"I love you so much, Luke." She mumbled against my mouth.

"I love you too, Avery." I said.

The kissing stopped immediately after those words left my mouth and she climbed off me, giving me a look of disbelief.

"Avery?" She asked.

I wanted to apologize and say I didn't mean it but that'd just be another lie on top of the mountain of lies I've told her. So instead of speaking, I just nodded.

"Y-you can't possibly mean that. You love me! Y-you do love me, right?"

"I don't, sorry." I shook my head. "I was never in love with you, Brooke." I could've added that I never would be either but that would've been too cruel.

Tears began to well up in her eyes and she turned away from me.

"I can't help how I feel. Please don't be mad at me." I mumbled.

"How the fuck do you expect me to not be mad?" She yelled, turning to face me with her tear stained cheeks. "I gave you my heart and you stomped all over it!"

"I tried to return the feelings, I really did, I just couldn't." It's not like I'm trying to save this relationship, I just don't like seeing her this hurt.

She just shook her head and turned to leave. "I can't believe I wasted my time on you." Those were the last words she said before stomping out of my room and down the stairs. I just hope no one in my family stops her to question her about what had just happened.

But it's finally happening. Brooke and I are through and while I should feel some sort of remorse, I don't. I was with her because I felt like I had to be, not because I wanted to. In the beginning I did but things change and a lot has changed for me. I'm happy that I can finally tell Avery what I should've told her a long time ago. And I had to do that right now.

I stood up but remembered the boner Brooke left me with.

Okay, so I'll go over to Avery's after I take care of this.

-

I rehearsed various approaches to this the entire drive here but when I rang the doorbell, my mind went blank. My heart began to pound as each second crept by and the door still hadn't been opened. I was so confident before but now all of that was gone and I was debating whether or not I should jump in the bushes and let her think it was just some kids playing a game.

The door finally opened and she smiled. "Hey, Luke."

"Hi, uh, your dad isn't home, is he?" I asked. I didn't want him disrupting this moment.

"No," she shook her head, "why?"

"Because I've wanted to do this for a long time." I grabbed her face and crashed my lips into hers and felt that wonderful gut feeling only she gave me.

I've missed the way her lips moved perfectly with mine and how she always placed her arms around my neck. Luckily for me she didn't pull away. She probably was enjoying this as much as I was and that made me feel much more relaxed.

I pulled away and rested my forehead against hers and she smiled up at me.

"Wait." She shook her head and took a step back. "You kissed me and you're with Brooke. Why'd you do that?"

"I'm not with Brooke anymore." I replied, stepping inside and closing the door behind me. "We broke up."

"Well I'd say I'm sorry but you don't seem to be upset about it. Why is that? You worked hard to get her back and you're not even phased by the fact that you two aren't a thing anymore."

"Because, for a while now, I haven't been the happiest."

"How come?" She asked.

"You know that in the beginning I couldn't stand being without Brooke but as time progressed, my feelings changed. I couldn't bring myself to feel those feelings I felt for her from before. I stayed with her because I felt like I had to. It wasn't good for me and it wasn't good for her so this was best for both of us." Of course Brooke doesn't know that now, but she will.

"But you came here and kissed me and the deal was-"

"Forget about that stupid deal. That was the worst thing I could've ever come up with. Besides, didn't you enjoy it?" I tried not to sound too hopeful 'cause I didn't want to give anything away. 

"Well, yeah." She admitted shyly. I always found her bashfulness to be cute.

"Remember when I came over a while ago because I needed some advice about loving Brooke and you said that something could be preventing me from falling for her?" I asked.

"Yeah." She nodded.

"It was you, Avery. It has always been you."

"Me?" She searched my face. "You're saying..."

"I love you." I smiled, searching her eyes for some sort of confirmation that she feels the same way so I at least know that I didn't come over and make a huge fool out of myself.

"You love me? You really mean that?" Her tone was hopeful.

"Of course, why would I lie about something like this?" I know I did with Brooke but that was different.

"I love you too, Luke, and I have for a long time." She smiled.

My smile grew as I picked her up and spun her around in a tight hug. I heard her sniffle and she brought her head around to face me.

"I love you." She almost whispered, a tear rolling down her cheek.

"I love you, too, baby." I closed the small gap between us and pressed my lips to hers.

She wrapped her legs around my body and I supported her by her thighs as I pressed her against the wall.

She loves me and I couldn't be happier. I'm finally with the one that my heart desires, the one that makes me feel things I can't even put into words, the one I can't live without. She's everything to me and she definitely didn't start out that way. It's pretty funny how things work out. If someone had told me that I'd be confessing my love to the girl from my chemistry class that annoyed the shit out of me, I would've called them crazy.

But here I am now, in her house with her legs wrapped around me as I have her up against the wall, passionately kissing her to show her how much I love her.

Earlier I remember I said something about only in a perfect world would I be with her. I now realize that it wasn't something I could hope for and it happen, I had to work towards it. I did and now I've got the girl that makes my world perfect.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

371K 10.5K 35
In which a popular boy who cares too much about his reputation meets a girl who hates attention.
2.1M 51.5K 39
❝You chased me for a long time, so I figured it was time for me to chase you.❞ copyright © paradisin || 2014
682 25 21
"My wish is to stay happy." |Ashton Irwin|
407K 9.2K 53
I never thought an anxiety attack could be the best thing to happen to me. Rankings: #1 AshtonIrwin #2 Ashton #1 5SOS #1 5secondsofsummer #2 CalumHoo...