The Ballerina & The Devil

By memoirsofjess

"Why don't you go back to Hell?" I spat, fury boiling in the pit of my stomach. A dry smile played on his lip... More

Copyright Statement
(Extended) Synopsis + Author's Note
One. First Day Butterflies
Two. Catching Up
Three. Failed Attempts
Four. Her Safe Haven
Five. Apologies
Six. More Apologies
Seven. Figuring It Out
Eight. Turn Up
Nine. Non-Confessions
Ten. Accidents
Eleven. The Aftermath
Twelve. Another Heroic Action
Thirteen. An Escape Plan From Hell
Fourteen. His Safe Haven
Fifteen. The Tale of Two Princesses
Sixteen. Twenty Interrogations
Seventeen. The Devil Emerges
Eighteen. Her Sanity and His Uncertainties
Nineteen. How You Get The Boy
Twenty. Their Pride and Their Prejudice
Twenty One. His Muse
Twenty Two. A Fatal Secret Sealed with a Kiss
Twenty Three. Average Cupcakes
Twenty Four. One More Broken Soul
Twenty Five. The Burdens They Shared
Twenty Six. Touchdown
Twenty Seven. Late Night Oaths
Twenty Eight. Two Pieces of a Broken Heart
Twenty Nine. IITMOAESOS
Thirty. Reality is a Bitch
Thirty and a Half. Reality is a Bitch
Thirty One. Her White Knight
Thirty Two. He Isn't Chuck and She Isn't Blair
Thirty Three. In Which She Forgives, Forgets, and Revokes
Thirty Four. Down On His Knees
Thirty Five. Act Like a Lady
Thirty Six. In The Hands of a Devil
Thirty Seven. Works of Art
Thirty Eight. A Wing Woman in Action
Thirty Nine: Part 1. A Night Out on the Town
Thirty Nine: Part 2. Good Luck Love
Forty. A Brotherly Understanding
Forty One. What's His is His
Forty Two. The Ballerina, The Devil, and His Maker
Forty Three. A Sanctuary in Her
Forty Four. Nothing More Than a Mask
IMPORTANT Author's Note
Forty Five. Partners in Crime
Forty Five and a Half. Partners in Crime
Forty Six. Raise The White Flag
Forty Seven. Trapped in Her Own Hell
Forty Eight. A Heart of Glass
Forty Nine. Perfectly Fucked Up
Fifty. A Devil in the Dark
Fifty One. In Which They Runaway
Fifty Two. Everything He Couldn't Say
Fifty Three. Those Three Scary Words
Fifty Four. What a Deeply Imbedded Fear It Is
Fifty Four and a Half. What a Deeply Imbedded Fear It Is
Fifty Five. Ready or Not
Fifty Six. And Then There Was Nothing
Fifty Seven. One More Time
Fifty Eight. It All Fell Into Place
Fifty Nine. The Right One
Sixty. One More Lie
Sixty One. The Truth Will Always Come Out
Sixty Two. What an Ugly Truth It Is
Sixty Three. Things Have To Get Worse...
Sixty Four. The Deepest Cut
Sixty Five. A Profound Sadness
Sixty Six. The End
Sixty Seven. Found and Lost Again
Sixty Eight. If You Can't Love Yourself
Sixty Nine. One More Miserable Chapter
Seventy. I'll See You Later Part. 1
Epilogue.
Spin-Off
Saudade is Up!

Seventy. I'll See You Later Part 2

56.3K 2.5K 2.5K
By memoirsofjess

A/N: The song in the media box is Superheroes by The Script, which perfectly sums up this story in my personal opinion.

Maybe one day we'll find
that place where you and I
could be together, and we'll
catch our dreams within the
waves of change. So smile
for me one last time and
believe that we'll meet again.
until then, I'll be missing
you.

- R.M. Drake

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

My heels clicked against the pavement in rhythm as I followed the class mates ahead of me and led the ones behind me to the stadium where we would be receiving our diplomas. The butterflies in my stomach were swarming at such a pace I didn't doubt a tiny tornado was going on inside of me.

I wasn't exactly nervous. If anything, I was bursting with excitement. High School graduation had always been one of those far off goals. Something I knew would eventually get around to happening, but despite how close I got to it as the years went by it still managed to seem like it popped up out of nowhere.

Deacon, who was dressed in a blue gown just as the rest of the boys were, stopped short, causing me to crash into him and out of my thoughts. I smacked his back as he laughed and continued walking.

"You're such a child," I snapped, trying to sound irritated but the effect was lost thanks to the smile on my face. "Try to act your age."

"And where is the fun in that?" He glanced over at me, his eyes lighting up. "Hey, you want a ride?"

"What?" I wrinkled my eyebrows in confusion.

"A ride. Get on my back."

"No! Are you crazy? This is not the time nor the place."

"Oh, come on-"

"Do you like getting in trouble? Are you just itching to squeeze in one last stunt in before we leave this place?"

He grinned. "Yes. Come on, what are they going to do? Suspend us?"

I hesitated, glancing around at our peers and the teachers who were guiding us to the the football field. I smiled a little and then nodded.

"Okay," I hiked up my white gown and jumped on his back when he paused momentarily.

There were a few giggles around from the students and some eye rolls from the teachers. None of which seemed keen on doing anything about the scene displayed before them. That was until the bitchy art teacher I had in the ninth grade stormed up, looking irritated.

"Mr. and Miss Lawson," she said in her shrill voice. "I understand the excitement, as you are graduating today, but this kind of behavior is incredibly inappropriate and a mockery to our school."

"I'm sorry Ms. Lacey," Deacon said solemnly. "It would appear that my dear sister sprained her ankle, damn heels, and I just couldn't allow her to continue to walk on it. You see, she's a dancer. Even got into Juilliard, yes the Juilliard, and her feet are very important. I would say they're the most important feet among the class of 2016, and seeing as we not only share the same blood, but shared the womb for nine months, it's only right that I carry her the rest of the way. I'm not harming anyone, and...we must ask ourselves, what would Jesus do?"

I buried my face in his shoulder to keep myself from laughing out loud at Deacon's sheer idiocy.

Ms. Lacey stared at us for a moment before walking ahead of us with a heavy sigh. "I can't wait to retire."

I burst into laughter. "The most important feet of the class of 2016?"

"Well, did I lie?" He laughed before raising his voice. "MAKE WAY LADIES AND GENTS I'M CARRYING THE MOST IMPORTANT FEET OF THE CLASS OF 2016! JULLIARD FEET! THE FUTURE WORLD RENOWNED BALLERINA FEET!"

I slapped my hands over his mouth. "Stop!"

Deacon set me down when we arrived to the field where the bleachers on both the left and right side were packed. As Deacon and I's last name started with an 'L' we had a while of waiting before we were called up on the stage.

When Aidan's name was called I averted my eyes to my feet and began tapping them on the grass.

It had been months since Aidan and I had talked. Sure, there were a few hello's here and there and small smiles exchanged, but other than that we both kept our distance from each other.

Which was for the best. It was.

I didn't look back up until Majesty's name was called.

I cheered her on, along with everyone else, as she walked the stage, and, of course, when I say walk I mean strut. She even took up a considerable amount of time to pose for pictures her mother (who had somehow managed to position herself in front of the stage) was taking. Eventually, she had to be ushered off by the principal so the procession could continue.

After what felt like hours of waiting under the hot Sun that was beating down on us, Deacon and I were next to be called up.

Deacon, naturally, had to show off for our peers. Making a big show out of taking his diploma, bowing and waving for the students both standing and seated who were going crazy for my big headed brother. Jordan, going the craziest out of everyone, had streamer bits rain down on everyone from a small confetti cannon he held in one hand while simultaneously causing an obnoxiously loud sound to blare from the air horn he held in his other hand. Both of which were taken away by Ms. Lacey.

I made my walk quick, smiling when I heard Deacon, Kenzie and Majesty's over the top shrieks and giggling when I saw Jordan race to snatch the air horn from Ms. Lacey's hands to blare it from me.

I passed Aidan on the way to my seat, smiling when we made eye contact. He smiled back, winking at me.

I took my seat and glanced over at Deacon who was staring at me, looking very unimpressed.

"What?" I asked, examining the smallish book let that contained my diploma.

"You're blushing."

"I am not," combed my curled hair over my shoulder to try and hide my cheeks. "It's just really hot out here."

"You looked like you were about to dive onto Benson's lap," he said.

I shot him an irritated look. "No, I did not."

"Yeah, you kind of did. You two getting back together?"

"We haven't spoken in months."

"That's not an answer."

"No," I snapped. "We aren't."

"Good because you've been doing really well without boys dancing around your mind."

"Boys are always dancing around my mind, Deac," I sat back in my chair. "I just don't act out on it anymore."

Jordan walked the stage after a good chunk of names were called, and Deacon, never to be out done, climbed on top of his chair, pulled out his own air horn and streamer cannon, and made a racket up until Ms. Lacey raced up to snatch the items from him. She then pulled him aside to reprimand him. Clearly warning him against such behaviors again.

By the time the last person was called everyone was just about done with the entire ceremony. Still, I stood up along with Majesty, Deacon, and Jordan to cheer Kenzie on just as she directed us to do.

Why she felt she needed to instruct us when she knew perfectly well we would cheer her on with or without her bossiness? I had no idea. She was a control freak.

Mentally, I checked out of the ceremony mid-way through the valedictorian's cliche speech about the rest of our lives starting after we left the stadium today, and how we could carry our time at Westview in our hearts for the rest of our lives.

Finally, the time came for us to stand. I elbowed a snoring Deacon and shrugged him off my shoulder, so I could jump to my feet. I eagerly moved the tassel of my cap to the left as instructed by my principal, and danced on my toes as he uttered the next words.

"Congratulations Class of 2016," he said into the mic, smiling. "You did it."

I threw my cap up into the hailstorm of blue and white caps and wrapped my arms around Deacon as he swooped me up into a hug.

"We did it!" I squealed.

"Hell yeah we did it!" Deacon whooped, swinging me around before setting me down.

"We did it!" Majesty shrieked, running up to jump on me. "Can you believe this!? We're high school graduates!"

"I know!" I laughed, hugging her.

Another body jumped on us, and when I looked up I saw Kenzie beaming at us.

"We did it!"

We screamed and jumped up and down like we were in grade school as opposed to high school graduates.

"Oh, Deac!" Kenzie jumped in his arms to give him a kiss.

"Oh my god," I turned away from the display in disgust. "How many times do I have to tell you not to do that in front of me?"

Kenzie giggled. "I would say sorry, but I'm not."

Jordan walked up and held his arms out for Deacon. "My man."

Majesty rolled her eyes as they hugged. "The scene you two made was so inappropriate. I mean honestly, what's wrong with you?"

"You're just jealous Jay cheered louder for me than you," Deacon said smugly.

"If he had even tried it I would have broken his fingers."

"Which is why I didn't do it. I know my girlfriend all too well," he swept her up in his arms and gave her kiss. "Congratulations, girlfriend."

Kenzie rolled her eyes, and I giggled looking up at the sky.

Ever since the day Majesty finally agreed to go out Jordan, he had been making it a point to insert that fact into every statement he uttered. Kenzie didn't hide the fact that she found it very annoying, but I personally thought it was cute.

We broke apart temporarily to find our respective families and receive our congratulatories from them. Mom had been reduced to a puddle of tears as opposed to Dad who couldn't stop smiling.

"I just can't believe my babies are high school graduates," Mom sobbed, clutching onto Deacon and I am as if we were life support. "In a couple of months you'll be off to college. Demi, you'll be in New York at Juilliard, and Deac, you'll be at Stanford in California....It's just- so crazy. It feels like just yesterday you two were my little babies that needed me to wipe your bottoms-"

"Oh, for God's sakes," Deacon groaned.

"Mom," I squirmed out of her hold to give her a look. "There are people around us."

"I'm sorry! It's just a lot to take in."

I sniffed the flowers my dad had handed and smiled at her. "I know."

"Come on," Deacon rubbed her back. "Don't cry, Mom. You can baby me for as long as you want."

"Yeah, Mom," I wound an arm around Dad's waist as he put his own arm around my shoulders. "You can baby Deacon as long as you want. God knows he needs it. The boy can't do anything for himself."

Dad laughed and nodded. "That's true."

"It's crazy how disrespected I am in this family," Deacon said dramatically.

After a few more minutes of tears and congratulations we started the long trek back to the car we had all arrived in, winding through the packed stadium.

When we finally managed to get to the parking lot Mom, who had temporarily gotten over her tears, was getting even deeper into the lecture she was giving to Deacon about how shameful his "inappropriate behavior" was at the graduation.

Kenzie popped out of nowhere and wrapped her arms around my neck. "So, you're coming to Majesty's for the party right?"

"Of course-"

"You never asked us if you could go to a party, Demetria," Dad cut me off.

"I'm a legal adult. I still have to ask you for things?"

"Well, seeing as you still ask me for money," he flicked my nose. "Yes, you do."

"You guys can come too," Kenzie piped up. "Parents are invited. Although, I'm not sure why old people would want to go. Don't you stop having fun when you're, like, forty?"

Dad stared at her for a moment before patting her head. "I'm not going to miss you, Kenzie."

"Of course we'll go," Mom smiled.

Kenzie and I fell back a few steps from my family, giggling as we made a game out of pushing one another into random bodies. That earned us incredibly dirty looks from quite a few people.

It was just when I thought we had finished our childish game when I found myself getting shoved exceptionally hard into another person. Way harder than was appropriate, in my opinion.

"I'm sorry," I shot Kenzie a dirty look as I balanced myself. "I'm so sorry. I didn't- oh. Hi."

Aidan smiled down at me. "Hey."

I glanced over at Kenzie who was smiling way too sweetly, and I could just envision myself choking the life out of her for her not so subtle stunt.

"I'm sorry," I glanced back at Aidan. "I'm friends with an asshole."

Kenzie pinched me, and I smacked her hand away.

"It's cool," he assured me. "You-"

"Demi!" A familiar little voice squeaked.

I looked down to see Briella and lit up in excitement.

"Briella!" I crouched down to pull her into a tight hug. "How are you?"

"I'm great," the little girl beamed. "I missed you."

I smiled gently and combed a flyaway hair behind her ear. "I missed you too, Brie."

"How come you don't come and see me anymore?" She asked, tilting her head. "Aren't we friends?"

"Briella," Aidan started, but I gave him a small smile indicating it was fine.

"Of course we're friends," I nodded. "I just-"

"Friends visit their friends," Kenzie whispered loudly.

I reached over to pinch her leg, and smiled when she yelped.

"We are friends, Briella. I just....I've just been a little bit busy."

"Too busy for me?" She pouted.

"No, no, no of course not," I assured her. "I...you know what? Why don't we start hanging out again? We can have tea parties and maybe even sleepovers-"

She gasped. "Really?"

"Sure. If it's okay with your brother."

Briella looked up at Aidan eagerly. "Oh, can I? Please, Aidan?"

"Please, Aidan?" I pouted, looking up at him.

Aidan chuckled, shaking his head slowly. "If I don't say yes I'm sure I'll never hear the end of it. So, sur-"

"YAY!" Briella shrieked, throwing her arms around my neck once more. "I'm so excited!"

I laughed, giving her cheek a kiss. When I stood back up, I met Aidan's gaze and smiled tightly.

"Alright, so we should be goin-"

"Uh, actually," Kenzie cut across me. "I just saw an ice cream truck not too far away. Briella, was it? Did you want to go get one with me? I'll buy."

My eyes widened a bit as they flashed to her face. "No, I-"

"Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes, please!" Briella began jumping up and down. "Can I go? Please, Aidan? Please? Please? Please? I'll be back super quick."

"Uh, Brie I don't-"

"Are you really going to deny ice cream to this sweet little girl?" Kenzie cocked her head, giving Aidan a look. "It seems awfully cruel to me."

"Kenzie-," I tried, but was cut off again.

"Yeah, Aidan," Briella stared up at him, furrowing her eyebrows. "It seems awfully cruel to me."

Aidan sighed, squeezing the bridge of his nose before nodding. "Fine, I guess, but come right back-"

"Oh, we will," Kenzie grabbed Briella's hand. "Come on, Brie."

"I'll come with-"

"Nope," Kenzie smiled perkily. "You stay here and chat."

"MacKenzie-"

"My name is Kenzie," Kenzie said kindly to Briella as she walked off with her. "It's so nice to finally meet you. I heard you tried to steal my boyfriend awhile back."

I shut my eyes briefly, making a silent vow to murder Kenzie later.

I glanced over at an amused Aidan and smiled sheepishly.

"She's not very subtle," he noted, smirking slightly.

"No, she most certainly is not," I glanced down at the diploma and cap I held in my hands. "So..."

"So...how are you?"

"I'm good," my eyes flickered up to his face, bringing my thumb to lips so I could nervously chew on my nail. "Really good. I'm three months clean."

"Yeah?" He grinned, looking genuinely happy. "That's amazing, Demi."

I shrugged. "I take it day by day. Hopefully I can keep it up for a little while more. You know, before I implode."

"You can't think like that," he shook his head. "You can't."

"I know," I tapped my temple as if tapping away the bad thoughts. "I'm trying not to do that. Have such negative thoughts, but it's kind of hard to break a habit I've been doing it for so many years."

"At least you're working on it," he smiled. "That's all you can really do, right?"

"Right. That's all I can do. As well as hope for the best," I smiled and rocked back on my heels. "How have you been?"

"Good."

I waited for him to elaborate, which of course he didn't. I rolled my eyes.

"Why are you so vague? Do I have to beat information out of you?" I shoved his arm. "How are you doing? What's going on? Is your dad still a problem?"

"I wouldn't know," he shrugged. "Moved out two months ago."

I perked up. "Really? You did? That's awesome, Aid! So you and Briella are-"

"Free of the drunken asshole?" He nodded with a small smile. "Yep."

"Did he freak out or anything when he found out you were leaving?"

"For him to freak out he would have to sober enough to realize we aren't living in his house anymore," he rolled his eyes. "So, I'm guessing he'll notice in the year 2020?"

"You make a good point," I giggled. "Well, I'm glad that you're out of there."

"Me too, and soon we'll be out of the state."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

He walked over to his truck I hadn't noticed parked a few feet away and beckoned for me to follow.

I stopped by the opened driver's door and watched him reach into the compartment on the side of the door. I took the large envelope he held out for me, my curiosity burning at this point.

"Open it," he waved a hand.

I extracted the letter from the already opened envelope and unfolded the piece of paper, only managing to read the first line before I was screaming.

"Demi, shhh!" He slapped a hand over my mouth and looked around. "Stop it. We're in public."

I slapped his hand away and jumped in his arms. "You got into college!"

"You sound surprised," Aidan chuckled. "Should I be insulted or...?"

"Of course I'm not surprised," I pulled away and smiled excitedly down at the paper. "You're a genius. I'm just- I'm so excited! You got into the Art Institute of Chicago! One of the best art schools in the country, and you plan on going! You plan on going right?"

"Yea-"

I screamed again and hugged him, bouncing on the balls of  my feet.

"Yay! Oh my god! This is amazing! I can't- you just-," I stopped myself and took a deep breath to try and regain my composure. "I'm sorry. Let me calm down. This is just- ah! This is so exciting!"

Aidan smiled. "I mean, I guess."

"Oh, stop it. You know this is exciting. You're going to college!"

"It's all thanks to you. You're the one who made my apply to all those crazy schools."

"True," I flipped my hair over my shoulder. "What made you choose this school? I know this isn't the only one you got into."

He shrugged. "Eenie meenie miney mo."

I raised my eyebrows. "Are you serious?"

"Uh, yeah? How else does someone choose a school?"

I laughed, shaking my head with a shrug. "You could have put all the letters in a circle and played spin the bottle."

"Such a better idea," he laughed. "Next time."

"Next time," I smiled at the letter and then handed it back to him. "Congratulations. Your mom would be proud of you."

Aidan's eyes lowered to the ground for a moment before he looked back up at me with a smile. "Yeah. I think she would."

"She would," I corrected him. "Just like I am."

"I'm proud of you too," he lifted his eyebrows. "You're off to Juilliard."

"I don't remember telling you that," I mused.

"I think everybody knows about it. Your brother and Kenzie have been making it a point to scream it to the student body whenever the chance presents themselves."

I shook my head. "They're insufferable."

"They're proud. As they should be."

"I'm kind of nervous," I admitted. "I mean, it's Juilliard. The elite. I'm just one of many good dancers-"

"Hey, hey, hey," he picked up my hand. "That's a negative thought. Don't think of it like that. Think of it as...you being one of the best dancers in the country."

I hummed, a little distracted by the feel of his familiar touch on me. I twined my hands carefully with his.

As if in response to that, covered my hand with his other one and stroked my hand gently. I sighed softly and looked up into his affectionate hazel eyes.

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I miss you."

"I miss you too," he brought my hand to his lips and kissed it gently which brought back the swarm of butterflies in my stomach."

"It's a shame our story didn't end with that happily ever after everyone always talks about," I smiled sadly.

"Our stories aren't done yet. Maybe our shared one is, but Demi's isn't and Aidan's isn't, and...who knows," he smiled, kissing my hand again. "Maybe one day down the road, we'll meet one another again, at some coffee shop, and we'll start this whole thing all over again."

I groaned, pretending to be exasperated. "All over again? You mean I'm going to have to try and win your heart again? I don't know if I can put myself through that a second time, Aid."

"Ha ha ha very funny," he rolled his eyes. "Maybe not all over again. I think it's safe to say you'll forever have a hold on my heart."

"Yeah?"

"Oh, yeah. From the very first day you ran into me you've had it."

"You ran into me."

"Or maybe it was the moment you gave me those cupcakes with the little hearts after I was exceptionally rude to you the day before."

"You remember that?" I giggled.

"Well considering the fact no one has ever approached me in such a manner, or at all, that moment is a standout one."

My laughter slowly subsided, and before I knew it tears were dripping down my face.

"Ugh," I sniffed, wiping the wetness from my face. "I'm sorry. I'm just- I'm no good at goodbye."

"Then don't goodbye," he shook his head, wiping a stray tear. "Say...I'll see you later."

I nodded slowly, pressing my lips together. "You say it first because that's still kind of hard."

He chuckled and pulled me close to place a kiss on my forehead. "I'll see you later, Cupcake."

I nodded, biting my quivering lower lip. "I'll see you later...in some coffee shop a few years down the road."

Aidan grinned and nodded. "I'll see you then."

We stared at each other for moments more, as if taking in every last detail of each other's features. Well, I was anyway. I didn't want to forget one thing about Aidan Benson. Not one single thing.

"Oh, I have something for you," Aidan said suddenly.

He moved to open the door to the backseat, never releasing my hand from his tight grip, and pulled out a fairly large, wrapped up present.

I blinked when he handed it to me and frowned. "If I knew you were going to give me a graduation present I would have gotten you something."

"It's fine-"

"No, it's not fine. I need to give you something to remember me at least."

"I don't think I'll have any problem remembering you, Demi," he smiled sweetly. "You don't forget your first love."

My heart fluttered, and bit my lower lip as my cheeks heated up. "Still....oh!"

I took my hand from Aidan's so I could pull off the gold 'D' ring that rested on my ring finger and placed it in his hand.

"Here you go. It's not much, but it's my favorite ring. I've had since the eighth grade I think."

Aidan traced his finger around the letter D the ring sported. "If it's your favorite, I don't think I can-"

"Yes, you can," I cut him off. "I want you to have it."

"Then I'll keep it forever," his fist closed around the the piece of jewelry.

I doubted he would, but it was a nice sentiment all the same to think he could possibly hold on to a piece of me forever.

I went to rip off the wrapping paper of the package he handed me, but his hand covered my own, stopping me.

"I'd rather you opened it later," he said. "Just make sure you look at the front and back when you do get around to opening it."

"Oh, okay," I nodded and hugged the package to my chest. "So, I suppose this is it."

"I suppose it is," he sighed and brushed a strand of my hair behind my ear. "You're so beautiful. Heartbreakingly beautiful. Every single thing about you is just perfect. Your heart, your soul, your charm...inside and out you're just gorgeous."

I giggled and looked away, completely embarrassed by the compliment. "Thank you."

He grasped my chin, forcing me to bring my eyes back to his, and studied me for just one moment before he pulled me in for a very short, but very sweet kiss.

"I love you, Cupcake," he whispered softly once he pulled away.

"I love you too, Aidan," I smiled. "You're scored on my heart."

"And you're scored on mine. Forever."

"Maybe even longer than that."

¥ ¥ ¥

I sat outside on the porch of Majesty's house with a party that held no appeal to me raging indoors.

I studied the wrapped package in my hands. Half of me wanted to open it, and half of me did not.

Maybe it was just me being dramatic, but I felt like the present in my hands was the very last piece of Aidan I would ever get. I wanted to prolong the moment for as long as possible.

I turned my head when I heard the door open, smiling when Majesty and Kenzie sat on either side of me.

"Hi," I greeted them pleasantly, setting the present down at my feet.

"Hey, babe," Majesty wrapped an arm around my shoulders. "You came out for some air a while ago. You okay?"

"Yeah, I just got lost in thought."

"About Aidan, perhaps?"

I gave Kenzie a look. "Didn't I tell you I wasn't speaking to you?"

"Oh, come on," she grinned. "You aren't really mad are you? I did what any sane person would have."

"I beg to differ," Majesty scoffed. "A sane person wouldn't do anything that you do."

"Just stop it. I did what I felt I had to do."

"Well, luckily for you I'm slightly thankful that you make it a point to insert yourself in situations that do not call for you," I admitted. "It allowed us to have some closure."

Majesty smiled. "That's grea-"

"Wait, wait a minute," Kenzie stared at me incredulously. "What do you mean closure?"

"MacKenzie," Majesty said, a warning note to her voice.

"I mean closure," I raised my eyebrows. "We said goodbye."

"What!?" Kenzie screeched. "Demi!"

I winced. "Why are you screaming?"

"I did not shove you into your ex so you could say goodbye," she said, a scandalized look etched on her face. "You were suppose to get back together!"

"Kenz, in case you've forgotten I'm in the midst of a boy fast," I smiled, a little amused by her charged reaction.

"Oh, whatever," she snapped impatiently. "Does that mean you're going to be single for the rest of your life?"

"Kenzie, what's wrong with you?" Majesty asked curiously. "No, like seriously. I feel like you may be slightly deranged."

"Because it's just so awful for me to want the best for my friend, right?" She sighed dramatically. "Why don't you just take me out back and shoot me?"

"That's a great idea. Do you have a gun?" Majesty smiled.

I giggled into my hands, and nudged her shaking my head.

"This is not the way the story is suppose to end," Kenzie cried, completely ignoring Majesty's remark. "You were suppose to-"

"Ride off on a white horse with my Prince Charming?" I laughed.

"Or a motorcycle," she said testily. "Whichever one happened to be available."

"Well, sorry to disappoint," I shrugged. "No white horse slash motorcycle for this girl. At least not right now."

"And her story isn't ending," Majesty added. "None of ours is. This is just the end of a few chapters that make up the story that is the rest of our lives. There's plenty of time to find a Prince Charming."

"Or maybe not find one," I shrugged. "I'm not too worried about it. Maybe I don't need a Prince Charming to have a happy ending."

"Awww," Majesty hugged me tightly. "Character development!"

I giggled and playfully shoved her off.

"Well, I think that's bullshit," Kenzie said bluntly. "I also think the author of Demi's story sucks. I was rooting for Daidan."

"I thought you were Team Demi first," I reminded her with a grin.

"Don't change the subject."

I laughed again and sighed. "I'm going to miss you guys when we finally part ways."

Majesty pouted, pulling me into another hug and motioning for Kenzie to join us.

"You're not going to have time to miss us," Kenzie said after crawling on Majesty's and mine's lap. "We're going to FaceTime and text and call each other all the time. We'll visit you at Juilliard, you and me will go visit Maj at Brown, and you and Maj will come visit me at UCLA. We'll be so down each other's throats we'll end up getting sick of each other."

"I can wholeheartedly agree with that," Majesty nodded. "We part ways when Hell freezes over."

We relished in just each other's companies for quite a bit of time more, and then we decided it was time to rejoin the party.

I glanced down at Aidan's present when I started to stand, and then looked up at Kenzie and Majesty.

"I'll be a minute."

"Thirty seconds," Kenzie said. "Or we're coming back out here to drag you in."

"I don't doubt you will."

I waited for the door to shut behind them before I picked up the package. I hesitated for just one moment, and then ripped the wrapping paper from what it concealed.

My tears, which seemed to have garnered a mind of their own this particular day, almost immediately started to trek down my cheeks.

I raised my hand to cover my mouth and stared in tearful awe at the beautifully painted illustration of a ballerina who was in mid-twirl. It was so strikingly similar to the one I had seen in Aidan's sketchbook months and months ago, but at the same time there was a striking difference.

The one before me was obviously a completed version of the draft in Aidan's book. The ballerina on the canvas was made up of what looked to be a million different colors. She contrasted greatly with the darkness that was drawn in such a way that it seemed like it was surrounding her in a cloud.

"Wow," I breathed, touching the painting with a gentle hand.

I snapped out of the daze I had temporarily fallen in and flipped it over, having recalled Aidan's instruction to look at both the back and the front.

My eyebrows inched together when I saw that the back was filled from top to bottom with tiny words. I brought it closer to my face so I could read Aidan's familiar handwriting.

There once was a ballerina. She was a very beautiful girl who appeared to have a very beautiful life.
That, however, was far from the case.
You see, things are always more than they at first seem,
And this very beautiful girl, with a not so very beautiful life, was in the midst of a very ugly war.
A war she had been battling for years upon years.
A war in which her opponent was a pack of demons of some sorts.
Now, these demons were the girl's very worst nightmare.
They had been talking in her ear, clouding her mind and judgement alike, and attacking her fragile self esteem.
These demons that resided in her mind made her doubt everything about herself,
From her beauty, to her self worth.
The demons were relentless in their attack,
And they wanted to break her so desperately, even resorting to crude behaviors in order to do so,
But strangely enough, they never did.
Break her that is.
Yes, there were times when the girl's barriers of protection would slip, and the demons would break through temporarily, but she was quick in her resolve
And it never broke her.
She fought back with such strength and resilience that if they world only knew, it would be brought to its knees.
Sure, her mind grew weary at times, and thoughts of conceding flooded her in overwhelming waves,
Telling her it would be simpler to just surrender to the demon's wishes,
But that simply wasn't in her nature.
The demons still swarm her, all clustered together
Forming her nightmare of a devil,
But it has yet to consume her, nor do I suspect it ever will
Because of the simple fact that darkness cannot touch the light without becoming light itself.
And this ballerina is the greatest light this world has ever known,
Made up of so much charm and grace and a staggering beauty that all who are exposed to are blinded by.
A staggering beauty that will, one day, blind her too.
The Ballerina and Devil are still at war,
But if I had to place any bets,
I'd go with the ballerina each and every time.

All my love,
Aidan Benson

I carefully dabbed at the single tear drop that had splattered by his signature. I traced my finger across the "all my love", before flipping the portrait back over to study it intently.

"The Ballerina and the Devil," I whispered softly.

Eventually, I found it within myself to stand up. I gathered the torn wrapping paper scattered around me as well as my painting, and slowly made my way to the front door.

I found myself stilling briefly with my hand on the doorknob and gently rested my head against the cool glass. I took one last deep breath to compose myself entirely.

There would be no more tears. At least, not tonight there wouldn't be.

Tonight was the night I would celebrate. I would celebrate a most sad ending, and a very beautiful start.

I would celebrate the past I was very slowly, but surely overcoming, and the future I was so excited for.

I would celebrate both the fond and unpleasant memories alike.

I would celebrate the ending of relationships as well as the ones that I could see myself carrying for many years to come.

Most of all I would celebrate life. My life because for what had to be the first time in a very long time, I felt it was something worth celebrating.

I straightened up and pulled open the door so I could step into the house and rejoin the party.

The End

A/N: So....that's it.

The end has finally come, and I may or may not be crying.

I hope you all not only enjoyed this last chapter,  but just this book in general. It means so much to me so that so many different people got on board to read this. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think so many of you would read my work, but you did and I thank you so much for that. I thank you for sticking around to the very end, I thank you for putting up sometimes a very crazy update schedule, and most of all I thank you for motivating me to continue writing this story. There were plenty of times when I wanted to toss it aside, but you guys being so hardcore forced me to not be so ridiculously lazy.

I love you all so freaking much. I hope to see some of you in the future works I plan to publish on her (*hint* *hint*: My new story I've recently started working on Nodus Tollens).

I will be posting an Epilogue in the days to come due to popular demand, so be sure to watch out for that.

Stay flawless you absolutely beautiful, adorable, magnificent, loves.

All my love,

Jess 💋

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 5.5K 18
#1 IN SHORT STORY COLLECTION (3/21/20) #1 In DealWithTheDevil #5 in Teenager #7 in Devil (As of 7/04/2018) Every touch on your skin is hot, burning...
504K 14.4K 55
Finished; September 13th 2019 #10 abuse #10 teenfiction #8 stepdad #6 hope #3 badboys #3 broken #1 escape #1 goodgirl #1 hate #1 stepbrother...
1.6M 37.9K 71
"𝐌𝐚𝐲𝐛𝐞 𝐈 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐚 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲 𝐰𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐲, 𝐄𝐥𝐲𝐬𝐞. 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐦𝐲...