Close Enough

By thanduxolo00

He saved her life, He wants some thing in return or may I say some things. Tasha is your average teenage girl... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Authors note
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
AUTHORS NOTE
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
AUTHORS NOTE
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Authors note
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Authors note
Chapter 20 (part I)
Chapter 21 (part II)
Chapter 22 (part III)
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Authors note
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34: Final Chapter
Authors Final Note

Chapter 33

50 9 11
By thanduxolo00

*The dress*

I think I made a couple of wrong turns but in the end, here I was parking outside the Hoffman residence. I was nervous, couldn't get out of the car. You can do this Tasha, you have blessings and this is okay, you want this! Now go get your man.

I ringed the bell and Charlie opened the giant double door.
"Tasha," she was surprised to see me and I don't blame her.
"Hey, I'm looking for Alex?" I said.
"Come in," she seemed a little down maybe it's because she just woke up.
"Can I get you something?" She asked.
"No thank you, I need to talk to Alex," I said.

"He's going through a lot Tasha, I suggest you leave him alone," she said.
"Excuse me?" I asked.
"You heard me, he doesn't need this right now," she said.
"I'm not sure what he's told you but I can explain," I said.
"No! Let me explain this, he's my best friend and I care about him and I can't let you play him, he gave you his heart and you shoved it in his face, I thought I knew you," she said.

"Charlie please," I begged.
"No! Why? Why did you do that to him last night, when he needed you most?" She asked.
"I like him, Charlie," I found myself saying.
"It's a little too late for that," she said.
"What do you mean?"I asked.
"He's gone Tasha," she said.
"What? I don't get it," I said.
"Take a seat," she said. And I did as she said.

"I don't know how to say this but Alex's mom died," she cried.
"No,no,no," I didn't believe her.
"It's true, Alex left this morning to go and identify her and bring her home," she cried.
"I'm so sorry Charlie," I embraced her.
"He's all alone," she said.

"Do you think he already left the country?" I asked.
"I don't know," she said wondering what I was up to.
"Well I guess I have to find out," I stood up.
"Good luck!" She yelled as I got in the car.
I arrived at the airport and it was crowded. On the way I tried to call Alex but it hit voicemail.

Alex where are you, I went to ask if the first flight to Mauritius had already left and luckily it hadn't.
Which means that he's here, I looked and looked and there he was, sitting down with his earphones on. I set down next to him and his eyes were closed. I gently placed my hand on his thigh and it scared him a bit.
"Alex," my eyes got teary as I looked at him.
"What are you doing here?" He asked rudely.
"Alex I'm so sorry," I apologized.

He just kept quiet and didn't look at me.
"Look at me," at said.
"Alex please look at me," I exhaled. I couldn't hold back the tears.
"Why are you here?" He asked not looking at me.
"Alex I want you to know that I'm here and I'm never gonna leave," I said.
"Anything else?" He asked.
"I'm so sorry," I said.

He put back his earphones and closed his eyes.
"Alex," I got in front of him on my knees.
"What!" He exclaimed.
"Please forgive me," I begged.
"Since you're so desperate and by the way it doesn't suit you, I forgive you now do you mind?" He asked.
"Please talk to me," I said.
"Talk? You wanna talk?" He chuckled.
"Yes," I said.

"Well talk, you have about two minutes and I have to go," he said.
"Okay, I didn't have time to prepare my apology so here goes nothing, ever since I met you my life changed, before I never thought I could speak fluently with boys, I thought there was this language in order to communicate, but here I am apologizing to you for standing you up even though I have feelings for you, I don't expect you to forgive me right away but please forgive me soon, I'm also deeply sorry about your mother and I want you to know that I'm here, I'm offering a shoulder to cry on," I said.

"Are you done?" He asked.
"Goodbye Alex," I turned around only to be stopped.
"Are you saying this out of pity?" He asked.
"No," I cupped his chick.
"When Shawn said he found my mother, I booked two tickets for me and you so that we can go fetch her," he said.
"What are you saying Alex?" I asked.
"Come with me," he said.
"Yes!" I smiled.
"What?" He asked.

"I would like to come with you," I said and he immediately embraced me and lifted me. He was happy.
He then put me down and we locked our eyes.
"McCarthy?" He called.
"Yeah," I said.
"Can you grant my last wish?" He asked.
"Your wish is my command," I said. He took both of my hands and placed them around his neck and wrapped his hands around my waist and pulled me close to him.

"I have a feeling that this will be the only kiss I'll ever have so I want to make this count," he was nervous and so was I. There was no space between us and I could feel his heart beating through his chest.
"Are you ready?" He whispered to my ear.
"Yes," I smiled.
"Are you sure about this?" He asked.
"Just do it already," I exhaled.
"Are you ready to have your first ever kiss?" he smiled.

Without wasting time I crashed my lips in his, at first I didn't know what I was doing but I got the hang of it.
Fireworks, starts,angels, sparks, everything nice you can imagine was going throuh my mind. My eyes rolled to the back my head, he licked my lip as a sign of asking for permission to enter and I granted him. "This is going to feel awkward but I promise you'll like it," he entered. Our kiss upgraded to a French kiss and he was right, it felt awkward.

An announcement was made that the flight to Mauritius had arrived and people can now submit their tickets.
"Are you ready?" He asked.
"Wow! I just had my first kiss," I exhaled.
"Yeah, yeah I know I was awesome, come on," he gloated.
"Alex wait, what about school?" I asked.
"It's Saturday we're gonna come back Monday afternoon," he said.
"I'm going to miss school?" I asked.
"Yeah, for the first time and besides everybody hates Monday's," he said.

"I don't know about that," I was nervous.
"Hey, I'm here. Don't worry you're gonna catch up and you already know what you'll study Monday, no need to worry," he cupped my chicks. And placed a light kiss on my forehead,
"What was that for?" I asked.
"Thank you," he smiled.
"Come on," we joined the line.
I'm doing this, I'm going across the globe with Alex, oh my!

"You just made my day," he held my hand.
"You made mine too," I smiled.
"What happened to your hand?" I asked. It was bruised and turned dark green.
"Nothing to worry about," he smiled.
"Let me take care of you, I'm gonna treat you like a princess, first we have first class and then five star hotel," he said.
"Alex we're not going on a vacation right?" I asked.
"Yes but that's no excuse for me to not treat you with care," we submitted our tickets and made our way to the plane.

"This is beautiful," I grasped.
"You are beautiful," he smirked causing me to blush.
I quickly sent mom a text that I was going to support Alex and that I'll be back before she knew it and then placed my phone, on flight mode.
"Alex," I called.
"Yes," he turned to me.
"How are you holding up?" I asked.
"I'm hanging in there," he held my hand.
"I'm here for you buddy," I smiled.

"Let's change that statement, I'm here for you 'babe'," he air quoted.
"Easy tiger," I smiled.
"I get it, baby steps right?" He asked.
"Yep and we have to set some ground rules," I said.
"Yes ma'am," he saluted.
"I'm not kidding Alex," I said.
"I'm sorry, I'm just happy you're next to me and I can hold your hand," he said as he kissed my hand.
"I'm happy too," I smiled.
"And that's what matters," he smirked.

"We sound so clichè," I laughed.
"I like clichè," he smirked.
"And I also like you," he wrapped his arm around me.
"I like you too," I smiled as I rested my head on his shoulder.

Many hours later:

"Wow! Alex, this is beautiful," I said as my eyes lit up the moment we walked into our in suit.
"Yeah whatever," he exhaled.
"Wait, one bed?" I turned to face him.
"Yeah, I think the couch will do for you," he crashed on the king sized bed.
"Really? A couch," I asked.
"Yep, it's payback for almost breaking my heart," he said.
"Ouch, I thought I apologized," I said.
"You did and I forgave you," he said.

"Whatever, this couch is twice as big as my bed, so no worries," I said.
"Good girl,come on," he stood up.
"Where are we going?" I asked.
"To buy you stuff, you know clothes. I don't want people to see you like that," he gestured to my sweater.
"I look fine, and besides I'm tired from the journey," I set down on the couch.
"Quit whining and let's go," he grabbed my hand.
"Don't you want to see Mauritius?" He asked.

"You seem to forget why we're here," I said.
"Would you stop that," he said.
"Stop what?" I asked.
"Bringing her up," he opened the door.
"Alex that's why we are here," I said.
"Yeah I know but please stop crashing the mood by bringing her up," he said.
"Fine, I'm sorry," I apologized.

~*~

"What a long day," I yawned.
We were now back at the hotel, and my,my, Mauritius took my breath away.
"And now comes the worst part," he exhaled.
We came back to refresh and then go to the morgue,
"You can stay and rest if you want," he suggested.
"No way! I came here for you and not to rest," I said.
"Thank you, I'm just going to shower, here, this is for you," he gave me a box, an expensive looking box.

"What's this?" I raised an eyebrow.
"Open it," he smirked.
"Oh my goodness!" I grasped. It was a dress, not any dress. The dress, it was so beautiful, black, sweatheart neckline and cool lace sleeves.
"Do you like it?" He asked.
"I love it!" I quickly embraced him.
"You can wear it at the funeral if you like," he said.
"Alex, maybe it's not her," I said.
"I'll be in the shower if you need me," he ignored my statement and left the room.

~*~

"Ready?" The lady from the morgue asked.
"Hey, whatever happens in there I want you to know that I'm with and I'll be saying a quick prayer," I held his hand one more time.
"I'll be right back," he kissed my hand. I could sense that he was nervous, who wouldn't be? This is really hard.

He vanished through a door and I was nervous, pacing up and down. I couldn't dare myself to peak in the glass at the door. Few minutes later the door opened and revealed a tear stained Alex.
"It's her," he cried as he crashed down to the floor.
"Alex, I'm sorry," I held him.
He was heavy crying and I couldn't find the right words to say, but are there really right words to say, poor guy just lost his mother for good.

We stayed there on the floor holding each other tightly and I wouldn't have it any other way.
"I'm here buddy," It felt good to say that. For once I'm here for Alex.
"I told you to call me babe!" He stood up.
"Alex what are you doing?" I asked surprised. One moment he was in tears and the next trying to crack a joke?

"Come on let's go," he held out his hand for me to get up.
"No! Look at you, you think you're better now?" I asked.
"Yeah I'm fine," he said.
"Alex, you just saw your mom for the first time in many months and she's dead and you're only gonna cry for like one second?" I asked. Exaggerating I know but is he for real. If someone could sees us now, he or she would approach me and ask if I'm okay.

Know why? I'm sitting down and tears on my face and the person who should be the same as me is okay.
"I don't want to do this right now," he said.
"I wanna do this right now," I got up.
"Well what do you want me to do?" He asked, his teeth grinding each other and his jaw was tightened. He is trying to hide his anger.
"I want you to get back inside, give your mom a nice big kiss and say something to her before she get's turned to ashes!" I shouted. Losing my breath with every word.

"I don't have anything to say to her, she did this to her self!" He yelled.
"Are you hearing what you're  saying right now? You sound pathetic, this is your mother for crying out loud! Damnit," I said.
"I don't care," he said.
"You once told me that I was a spoiled brat because I was mad that my mom had a boyfriend and I hated him. You were right, Alex is this how you want to remember your mother?" I asked.
"She left me! She didn't care for me, she decided to take her life and leave me here all alone, she doesn't deserve any final words," he said.

"Is that why you're so mad? Alex she's your mother, she gave birth to you," I said.
"I wish she didn't!" He exclaimed. I got to say, all the hurt I usually see in his eyes is not compared to this one I'm witnessing right here.
"Then you wouldn't have been born, you wouldn't exist," I exhaled.
"That's fine by me," he said.
"Then you wouldn't have met me, I wouldn't have met a wonderful person like you," I said.

"McCarthy-" I cut him off.
"That's what you're saying," I said.
"No-" he started.
"Fix this, you still have time," I walked away.

~*~

I got back to my room, and went straight to bed, I wasn't mad at Alex. I just wanted him to do the right thing.
Just as I was about to dose off to sleep, I heard him come in.
"Hey, I'm sorry," he sat next to me.
"I don't want us to fight, I didn't mean what I said," he said.
"Did you do the right thing?" I turned to meet him.
"Yeah, I placed a light kiss on her forehead and told her that I have found the one, and that I love her so so so much," he said.
"Did you mean it?" I asked.
"Every word," he smiled.

"Come here," I quickly embraced him.
"Thank you," he whispered.
"I'm so sorry about your mom," I said.
"Me too," he exhaled.
"Here, please read this for me," he gave a letter.
I opened it and read out loud:
"My darling Alex, by the time you'll be reading this you would know what I had done, I'm sorry for not saying a proper goodbye, I know what I did was very sinister but it was for the best.
I had turned into a monster and I could no longer bare the image I saw in the mirror.

I wanted to do this, I couldn't live anymore knowing that I left my son all alone, I'm at peace now, and I want you to find peace too, find love.
I love you a lot my son, I love you so much, my only son, please take care of yourself. Promise me you won't be angry, I'll be with you all the time.
Love, mom." I read.
"The irony in this letter is that she says she'll be with me, only now because she's dead.Any way thank you, let's get some rest," he went over to his bed. He didn't show any emotion.
I didn't say anything, I gave him space.

~*~

My eyes shot open, you know when you hear a sound and think that you're probably dreaming but realize that you're not. That's what happened.
"Alex?" I called. It was dark and I couldn't see properly.
"Go back to sleep," he said. He was crying.
"Alex, are you okay?" I asked.
"I'm fine," he said.
I got off the couch and went over to his bed.
"What are you doing?" He asked.
"Shh," I shushed him.

I got in his bed and held his hand.
"Do want to hear a story?" I asked as I wiped the tears on his face.
"Please," he exhaled.
"Once upon a time-" he cut me off.
"Come here," he pulled me closer to him. I rested my head on his chest and he started to play with my hair.
"Am I hurting you?" I asked.
"No, please go on," he exhaled.
"Once upon a time there was this Prince and he met this Princess and they got married and lived happily ever after," I said.
"You're a horrible story teller," he laughed.

"Whatever, at least I got you to laugh," I said.
"True," he said.
"Sing for me," I turned to look at him.
"I can't sing," he said.
"Please Alex," I begged.
"On one condition, we'll sing together," he said.
"Okay, but what song?" I asked.
"Uhm... Stand by me by For All The Cause," he said.
"I love that song," I grasped.

Off we sang, he hit every note perfectly and I wasn't too bad.
This song is about a promise to stand by each other no matter what and that is what we needed, it's beautiful.
"Thank you, you spent money on me today and I appreciate it," I said.
I came here with nothing, not even a toothbrush but I'm going back with a whole new wardrobe.
"I like you McCarthy," he kissed my head.
"I like you too Alex," I said without hesitation.

"Hey, so you're coming back to school?" I asked.
"Hell yeah! I want people to see that you're taken," I said.
"I don't like the spotlight," I exhaled.
"Oh yeah? Then dating the Hoffman will be all about that," he said.
"On that note, there are many things you promised to tell me now that I'm dating you," I said.
"Really?" He asked.
"Yeah but you'll tell me on another day," I yawned.
"Being stabbed was the best thing that ever happened to me," he said.

"Don't  say that," I said.
"But it's true, if it didn't happen we wouldn't be right here together," he said.
"I got to say, you came back stronger and demanding," I said.
"I had to, it was worth it," he said.
"So, this sure seems like the perfect moment to lay some ground rules," I said.
"I hate rules, I'm the rule breaker!" He exclaimed.
"I need this Alex, this is my first time," I said.

"Fine," he exhaled.
"Rule number one?" I asked.
"What do you want in this relationship?" He asked.
"I want someone that I can share stuff with, personal things, I want someone to hold me and stand by me," I said.
"Well I want someone that I can call whenever I want, visit whenever I want, hold that someone close to me and share my feelings with," he exhaled.

"I think we got this," I smiled.
"Yeah we do! And now that you're mine I can do this," he said and instantly tickled me. I yelled 'stop it' many times and at last he did.
I breathed heavily as I looked at him.
"Can I kiss you?" He asked looking down on me.
"How bad do you want to kiss me?" I asked.
"So freaking bad," he said.
"Then go ahead," I said.
He leaned closer and just as he was about to, I ducked and got out of bed.

"What," he smirked.
"Rule number one, do not tickle me," I said.
"I'm sorry," he apologized.
"Apology not accepted!" I exclaimed.
"Please come back to bed," he begged.
"No way, you're gonna tickle me," I said.
"I promise," he said.
"Okay," I got in.

We both stared at the ceiling next to each other in comfortable silence.
"Come on," he got up.
"Where are we going," I sat up.
"Come on," he gave me the robe. He looked excited.
We went to the balcony and there was this cool fresh sea breeze.
"Look up," he said.
"Oh wow, they are so beautiful!" I said.
"You are beautiful," he smirked.
"Thank you, you're handsome too," I said.
"Oh, I know," he laughed.

"Stop talking!" I imitated Rigby's voice.
"You sound just like him," he smirked.
"You look surprised," I said.
"No, I'm just impressed," he grinned.
"Anyone can do it," I said.
"My eyes hurt," he exhaled.
"You cried a lot," I said.
"I don't cry, men don't cry," he said.
"Don't make me laugh, I cried a lot ever since I met you," I said.
"Oh yeah?" He asked.
"Yeah, I cried my eyes out the time you went to hospital, I cried when I wasn't allowed to visit you, I cried when you said you didn't remember me and I cried when you made me choose between you and my mom.

Point is I cried a lot," I said.
"I'm so sorry love, I take all the blame," he got closer to me.
"50/50, it was my fault too," I said.
"True, you made me become an alcoholic," he laughed.
"I'm sorry, it's all in the past now," I said.
"True, and what I'm gonna do now is going get us a clean slate to start over, okay?" He grabbed my waist and pulled me even closer that there wasn't space between us.

'Okay' was the last word I said as he kissed me, passionately, lustfully if that's even a word.
My hand ran through his hair as we kissed. Me and him under the star's and the full moon, freakin romantic.
"Oh man!" He exhaled.
"What?" I asked looking at him.
"For a first grader you sure know how to kiss," he smiled.
"If I'm the first grader than what are you?" I asked.

"I'm at college baby," he smirked.
"How old were you when you had your first kiss?" I asked.
"Maybe six, I don't know," he shrugged.
"Six? Wow!" I exclaimed.
"Come on let's get back inside," he said.
"But they are so beautiful," I whined.
"We have to get some sleep, we're leaving tomorrow remember?" He asked.
"Yeah whatever," I exhaled.

"I no longer care about the star's anymore because I see them in your eyes every time I look at you," he smirked.
"You are so cheesy, I never imagined you being so cheesy," I laughed.
"I'm surprised too," he locked the sliding door.
"Good morning Alex," I crashed on the couch.
"Come sleep with me," he said.
"No I'm good," I closed my eyes.
"Pretty please," he begged.

"Desperation doesn't suit you," I quoted his words.
"For crying out loud! What does clean slate mean to you?" He exclaimed.
"I'm sorry," I apologized.
"Now come here," he ordered.
"Alex just go to sleep, we'll wake up in less than five hours," I said.
"Yeah I don't know about that," he murmured.
"What was that?" I asked.
"Nothing," he exhaled.
"Alex?" I called.

"What?" He asked.
"We're going home tomorrow right?" I asked.
"I can't hear you, maybe you should come sleep here," he chuckled.
"Alex this is no joke! Tell me," I exclaimed.
"I can't hear you!" He yelled.
"You're such a jerk," I got up from the couch and went over to his bed.
"And you're a pretty face," he smirked.

"You're an arse," I got in.
"Forgive me!" He yelled and instantly tickled me. I screamed, kicked, pinched,cursed and laughed at the same time. Finally after a few minutes he stopped,  My stomach ached. He looked down on me with a smirk.
"You never listen," I exhaled.
"I know," he chuckled.
"Good morning girlfriend," he whispered to my ear.
"Really labels now?" I asked.
"Just say good morning boyfriend," he exhaled.

"Morning boyfriend," I murmured.
"I can't hear you," he laughed.
"Go to sleep!" I exclaimed.
"FYI, I just recorded that," he made an evil laugh.
"You are such a jerk," I smiled.
"You are such a princess," he said.
"Alex?" I called.
"Yeah babe?" He said.
"Let's pray," I said.
He pretended to be asleep by snoring heavy.
"Come on," I got up.

"...And thank you for this girl over there, amen," he opened his arms to see my blushing face.
"Amen," I cleared my throat.

"Now come here and let me tell you a story," he gestured to his side.
"Once upon a time..." he started

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144 3 14
There wasn't really anything all that special about me. I considered myself an average person with average looks. That being said, I also considered...
125K 4.7K 56
|WATTYS 2021 Shortlisted| ❝Teach me.❞ ❝Teach you what?❞ ❝Teach me how to be a bad boy.❞ Elias Rodriguez has a crush on a certain cheerleader (since f...
827K 24.5K 68
"He's lucky I let him live!" He kicks the chair he was sitting on, "I can't stand the thought of anyone hurting you." He takes slow steady steps towa...
175K 4.3K 24
Ellison (Ellie) Marie Anderson Is an average school girl, some may say nerd. She is junior in highschool, but what happens when the schools 'bad boy'...