Rogue Firefury

By NightElflady

**1st Place WINNER in the GOLD AWARDS 2017 FANFICTION CATEGORY 2nd Place WINNER in the AQUA PEARL AWARDS 2017... More

Cover Story
Author's note
Rogue Firefury Cast
PREFACE
FIREFURY BY NAME, FIREFURY BY NATURE
ULTERIOR MOTIVES
FAMILY SECRETS
BROTHERS
BABY STEPS
A BLESSING
A PROMISING STUDENT
DUEL
OF LIGHT AND SHADOW
WOMANLY WILES
WEDDING
SAUREN
CRIMSON BLADE
NOTTLEY THE NOBLE
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A FLEDGELING
PROPOSITION
THE FALL OF DEATH TRIAL
DEPARTURES
VISITORS COME-A-CALLING
TEAM WORK
SPIDERS, SPIRITS & AN OLD MAN
THE GATHERING
UNMASKED
POSSESSION
LAYING FOUNDATIONS
OLD DOG, NEW TRICKS
TIME
THE ACCOMPLICE & THE PRINCE
THE CULLING OF CAPITAL CITY
THE REAPER OUTSIDE HIS DOOR
THE FALL OF QUEL'THALAS
KAEL'THAS, PRINCE OF QUEL'THALAS
DANCE OF THE BUTTERFLIES
THE HUNT FOR DAR'KHAN DRATHIR
RESPONSIBILITIES
CONFESSION
AUBERDINE
CELEBRATION
OF FEYS AND FOES
CHRYSALIS
OUTLAND
DECISIONS
METAMORPHOSIS
STOLEN YEARS & SILENT TEARS
FOREVER...IF NEED BE
EPILOGUE

LOST

201 13 47
By NightElflady

Despite Camnath having said he believed in her, Tiene could not see her way forward anymore.

Enveloped in grief, she drifted aimlessly every day through the rooms of the Spire. She would barely acknowledge any of the servants or anyone who passed through on state business. She wandered like a lost spirit.

Muttering, Tiene often sat in the gardens, her fingers toying with the wooden butterfly gifted her years before from Louvel. Her eyes would drift to the meadows in the desperate hope of seeing Camnath, waving, waiting.

Sometimes, her grief escalated to the point she wailed, mournfully crying out for her beloved husband. Her sorrow led to frustration and anger, where she would start throwing things around in her room. Camnath should not have died. Belaen should have listened to Brett, but instead, he led his squad to a grim and grisly end.

Such thoughts were endless, tormenting her every waking moment. The silence which followed such incidents was deafening; her despair was swallowing her whole.

Several times Lor'themar had ordered her room broken into for fear she had sunk so low as to take her own life. Eventually, he ordered locks removed. For good measure, he also insisted her weapons were kept secure in his study; that door was locked and guarded during his absence.

Called upon to attend important meetings throughout the land, the Regent Lord was often away from Silvermoon. His responsibilities were extensive with the absence of the elves' monarch altering the direction of Lor'themar's role. Tiene, however, was glad of the peace - her brother fussed so when he came home.

She regularly refused to join him for dinner, closing herself off in her room, leaving plates of food barely touched, outside her door. The maids, while sympathetic, shook their heads in frustration; their efforts to keep her strong and healthy seemed futile.

Camnath's family visited frequently, but Tiene would rarely spend time with them. She knew they suffered terribly from losing a son and a brother and therefore reasoned her reluctance to join them was to spare them her misery too.

Not even her friends were able to reach her. Fyn, Louvel, Lexie and Brett would arrive and try to force her out for walks and picnics. She would go occasionally, but she barely spoke and never ate much, only enough to sustain her - which was pitiful. She would accept a glass of wine, but it too remained unfinished, tipped over in the grass as she sat, staring out over the meadows before the never-ending tears flowed again.

Tiene was becoming painfully thin; her pallor was grey, her once lustrous hair, lank and dull.

One person eventually took it upon herself to deliver some home truths. Her actions would either jolt Tiene out of her depressed state or, finally drive the dagger home to end it all. One way or the other, the ghost which Tiene Firefury had become was about to be exorcised.

Lexie approached the Spire, a bag over her shoulder, fully prepared for a showdown with her best friend. Staff, now familiar with seeing the undead woman visiting, nodded a salutation as she strode through the corridors to Tiene's room.

When she reached the door, Lexie hesitated before she turned the handle. This will be cruel, she thought, but it needs doing. She took a deep breath, then opened the door.

Tiene, as usual, sat on the window ledge overlooking the Great Sea, twirling Camnath's lock of hair around her fingers. The elf turned her head slowly as she heard someone enter. Tiene's eyes had lost their lustre; she looked almost as undead as Lexie herself.

For once, Lexie was thankful for the mask she wore. It prevented Tiene from seeing the semblance of a vexed expression which played on the undead's ruined face. She missed her friend; the feisty Firefury who she believed in, loved and revered. This shell before her was not the girl she once knew.

Now that she stood before Tiene, she felt loathed to say some of the things she planned. Lexie loved Tiene very much and did not wish her more hurt, but the woman could not be allowed to continue wandering in a shroud of grief and misery for the rest of her days. Camnath would not wish this for his wife. Nor did anyone else who loved her. With a deep rattling breath, Lexie turned, closed the door then stepped into the centre of the opulent room.

Dressed in the traditional red and gold drapes and matching soft furnishings, the room's colour scheme mirrored the Silvermoon standard. Fine golden voiles over the open windows, billowed, the breeze carrying them in ghostly dances.

Lexie approached Tiene and took a seat on the nearby chaise longue. There was no greeting offered. Tiene's eyes, if not wet with tears, seemed to be set in a perpetual stare, sunken and never blinking.

There was no point trying to make small talk, Lexie decided, it never worked anyway, so straight to the crux of the matter.

Music: Let Me Fade by composer Adrian von Ziegler

 "Just what does that lock of hair mean to you, Tiene?" Lexie said in as sarcastic a manner as she could muster. "Anything?"

Tiene's eyes narrowed and held Lexie's gaze, but she did not respond.

The undead rogue spoke again. "What do you think Camnath would be saying if he stood in front of you, right now?"

Tiene's eyes welled. Her fingers were furiously knotting through the lock of hair. She tore her gaze away and resorted to staring out the window once more.

Lexie stood, determined to get a reaction and invaded Tiene's space, leaning against the window frame facing her. "He'd say, "Who the hell is this woman? Because she isn't the one I married!"

Still nothing - other than the tightening of Tiene's jaw to indicate she'd heard the words.

"What was it he called you that night when he lay bleeding against that tree?" Lexie persisted.

"Stop it!" Tiene hissed. Her eyes darted back and forth, agitated, but she did not look at Lexie.

"You were the brightest star amid my darkest skies. That was it! Well you're not shiny or bright now, are you, Tiene? Look at you! When your time comes, how is Camnath meant to find you if you are as dull and lacklustre as you are now? Huh?"

The blonde elf turned away, her shoulders shuddering with suppressed sobs.

Lexie closed in on her friend, taunting her, desperate to get a reaction. "Can you picture him? Is he still handsome, with his bright green eyes and long black hair? Or is he torn, shredded, oozing blood and pus, with half his face gone..."

"Stop!" Tiene's voice rasped.

"Whatever he looks like now, he must be wondering, 'How come Tiene rapidly sought revenge on Sauren Nightflame for what he did to her friends, yet here she sits - "

"Stop it!" Tiene thumped her fists on the cill.

Lexie continued. "...moping, wallowing in self-pity, doing nothing, for the one she claims to love!"

Tiene slid from the window ledge and crumpled to the floor. She started to rock back and forth; her arms wrapped tight around her knees.

"Yes, go on!" Lexie said, scornfully. "Cry some more, why don't you? You are no longer part of a reputable rogue family - no longer do you honour the name with which you were born!"

Tiene trembled, her head shaking, wanting to shut out her friend's words. "Leave!" she growled.

Lexie crouched down. She was not going to give up. "And what of all that training, Tiene? You worked alongside some amazing individuals. What was the point? They too thought you were someone to look up to, someone who could lead, inspire. And no-one believed that more, than Camnath - your dead husband!"

Tiene folded into herself, shaking her head, trying to deny Lexie's words.

"Oh, I'm sure he's also wondering if marrying you was a mistake after all." Lexie's voice caught in the back of her throat, sharp, painful. She hated herself for being so caustic, but all other efforts had failed. Tiene glared from under her limp hair.

It was time for the tools of the trade, Lexie decided and fished about in her bag. She pulled out a jar; in it was a butterfly. She thrust it in front of Tiene's face. "Did he not collect these for you, every year Tiene? No matter where he was, he came back here faithfully to get them. For you!"

Tiene gasped, her eyes wide. She stared at the jar and the little wings rapidly beating within. A memory flitted across her tormented mind, one of the gift Camnath brought her at the Gathering many years ago - how it had moved her. And she'd heard of his annual trek; Brett had told her. Shakily, she took the jar from Lexie's hand. "Yes, I know," she whispered.

Lexie felt a spark of hope. "He never gave up on you, did he, Tiene? Even all the years you were with Sauren -"

Tiene clasped the jar to her breast. "Stop! Please, Lexie!" Her tears flowed, but she found her voice, broken though it was. "I'm lost without Camnath. I can't take this pain any more."

These were the most words Tiene had spoken in months.

"I know," Lexie said, placing a hand on her friend's shoulder. "But, you need to do something to help ease it, Tiene. Camnath wanted you to make a difference, and he believed you would. So do it! For him."

Tiene looked up at her, sniffing and wiping the tears away. "What can I do though, Lexie? Nothing seems to make a difference; the Scourge keeps coming back. The Legion sits on the perimeter, just waiting for its opportunity to rise again."

The elf's pain was indeed tangible. Lexie had never seen anyone bear so much sorrow. Yet Tiene had just demonstrated the resilient Firefury still lay somewhere deep within.

Lexie put her arms around her, pulling her close. Relieved she had finally managed to fracture the wall of misery surrounding Tiene; they now needed to work bringing it down brick by brick. "Firstly, we have to get some meat back on those bones of yours, woman. I know I am beautiful, Tiene, but trying to emulate me is not a good look for you."

Tiene made a small sound which could have been a half-hearted laugh. She pulled back a little and looked at her friend. "You are beautiful Lexie. Truly. In more ways than you know."

Lexie would have smiled if she could, but the crinkles around her eyes showed she appreciated Tiene's kind words. "Come on then, let's get started. We will discuss what needs doing once we have you healthy and strong again."

It had been the medicine Tiene needed. Gradually, over the following weeks, the Rogue Firefury re-emerged, rising from the depths of her sorrow. Now revitalised, Tiene's focus honed on matters at hand. She took on board that which Camnath had instilled in her; the will to fight on; to make a difference.

One evening, Lor'themar, Tiene, Lexie and Brett sat around the dinner table. There had been much going on during Tiene's 'inner incarceration', and a conversation arose which piqued her interest; namely, events involving Prince Kael'thas and the somewhat enigmatic Illidan Stormrage.

Brett introduced the subject, albeit, Tiene noted, a little reserved. A contingent of rogues had travelled to Outland on a covert operation, their findings were intriguing. "This Illidan Stormrage is proving a bit of a mystery. His people still consider him as a betrayer and have even named him such, but his actions have started to interest others."

"How so?" Tiene asked.

Brett eyed Lor'themar before continuing. "This demonic elf is perhaps not all he seems. Although the Kal'dorei assumes he is operating on behalf of the Burning Legion, there is low key supposition leaning toward him hiding in Outland from the Legion's leaders."

"Hiding? From the Legion?" Tiene dabbed the corners of her mouth with a napkin and reached for her wine. "One of their own surely would not hide?"

Lor'themar stabbed at a piece of boar meat on his plate. "As you say, Brett, it is merely supposition. There is nothing conclusive," he commented. "Perhaps Illidan is power-drunk after association with the Legion and now sources magic to meet an agenda of his own. He is, or was, after all, a powerful sorcerer in the use of arcane."

"But, I was of the understanding the Betrayer gave Prince Kael'thas the means to help us thrive once more." Tiene inquired.

Lor'themar stared at his sister. "That too was supposition. The Betrayer had no involvement in that exercise." His voice aired annoyance and something akin to regret.

"Stormrage still carries out the orders of the Legion though," Lexie intervened. "How, therefore, is it even up for debate that he is anything but a willing servant?" She swallowed some wine. "And he's been none-too-successful at carrying out their bidding either, from what I hear."

Brett sighed. If Tiene was not mistaken, it appeared Brett was one of the minorities who found this Betrayer 'intriguing' and possibly considered he was not as black as painted. Her Guild Master was not prone to wasting time considering things which did not show potential or definite possibilities. "Before Kael'thas betrayed him..."

Lor'themar coughed. "Prince Kael'thas," he said, reminding the human rogue he was referring to a member of the once-great Sunstrider dynasty. Regardless of the events unfolding, the Regent Lord still didn't approve of any disparaging inference toward the monarchy.

Brett's lips thinned, but he nodded respect. "The Betrayer is rumoured to be forming an army; some super-soldiers if you will, to fight the Burning Legion."

"Wait a minute! Illidan is amassing numbers to fight against the Legion? And you said Kael'thas betrayed him?" Tiene sat forward.

Again Lor'themar grunted displeasure.

Tiene looked at her brother as no-one else would have dared. "Prince Kael'thas then. Denying developments will not change the fact if they are true, brother," she said.

Lor'themar raised his one eyebrow. "If - being the decisive word here," he said before replenishing his glass.

Tiene redressed the subject, a note of the old frustration in her voice. "It sounds to me this Illidan is either exceptionally clever or just downright devious; either way, it is unclear what he is plotting. But, our Prince's loyalty is under no question."

Lexie and Brett shared a knowing look – the girl was back.

Lor'themar uncharacteristically thumped the table with his fist. "Prince Kael'thas has sent us the means to regain our vitality, Tiene. He must still care enough for his people to do that. He has sent word he wants some of us to move to Outland, where he promises we can flourish."

"So he says - maybe!" Tiene fired back, petulant. "I know you did not want to be Regent Lord - and I still see the mantle sits uncomfortably upon your shoulders. But even you have to question some of Prince Kael'thas' decisions."

Lor'themar flinched, but only Tiene noticed. Feeling compassion for her brother and his torment, Tiene reached out to Lor'themar, placing her hand over his.

He curled his fingers around her hand and smiled wanly. With a sigh, he spoke. "Yes, you are right, I do not enjoy this office, and never will, however, it is something I must do, and as honourably as I can. Nevertheless, I want to believe Prince Kael'thas has our interests at heart."

"I understand," she said. "And I believe the Prince did too - once - but how can we truly tell what goes through his mind now, especially when he is so far away in Outland and associating with those who the world looks upon with scorn?"

"He did try to do battle with Arthas, though," Lexie pointed out. "I'll give him that!"

Tiene's blank expression told them this was all still news to her. Brett looked to Lor'themar, awaiting his approval. The Regent Lord nodded.

"I am relating what has come through the network," Brett explained. Again Lor'themar complied, and then the Guild Master continued. "According to sources, the demon hunter - for that's what Illidan has become - led his allies to Northrend. It was to appease another servant of the Burning Legion -"

"Demon hunter?" Tiene interrupted, confused.

Brett nodded and took a breath to carry on when Tiene suddenly added another comment. "He hunts demons? Well, what is the Burning Legion, but demons? Does this not confirm his true intentions?"

Lexie shrugged. Brett cleared his throat, and Lor'themar held Tiene with a look of quiet temperance. She was absorbing everything like a sponge and questioning it all too. "Sorry," she mumbled. "It's been a while. I'm just trying to grasp everything..."

Brett smiled, understanding, and proceeded. "Illidan was allegedly seeking to regain favour with the Burning Legion and ordered to topple the Frozen Throne, unseating the Lich King who was sorely testing the Legion's patience."

Brett drained his goblet before continuing. "The naga, along with Prince Kael'thas and several of his elves all converged at Icecrown. But who did they meet? Arthas."

Tiene glanced at Lexie, assuming this was the fight she had referred to earlier. Lexie divulged nothing more; she just kept nibbling some meat from her plate.

"Arthas is also under the influence of the Legion. So, was he there to help with this overthrowing of the King?" Tiene asked, the cogs of her analytical mind cranking up.

"Not quite, no. Arthas wanted the throne for himself."

Tiene looked around the table. "So the worm turned, and sought to take up the mantel of Lich King?"

"Yes," Lor'themar voiced with a deep sigh. "However, it was an opportune moment for Prince Kael'thas to claim vengeance upon Arthas for destroying our home. But..." The Regent Lord rose and went to fetch another bottle of wine from the sideboard.

His timely shift was all the understanding Tiene needed. "He failed then; I take it?"

"Oh, yes!" Lexie mumbled with a low cackle. "Quite spectacularly too." She held up her glass for Lor'themar to fill as he rounded the table. With a degree of torpor, the Regent Lord obliged.

Brett carried on. "The location was to Arthas' advantage, he is a Death Knight, and the cold serves him well. Plus that cursed sword of his is a powerful weapon indeed. He was the victor - not only did he fend off Prince Kael'thas but he also took the Frozen Throne."

"Your Prince then removed himself from the scene, however..." Lexie said not caring about the look of annoyance from Lor'themar. "...and left Illidan to try to kill Arthas. Result; new Lich King - one, demon hunter - nil. The fish took Illidan's injured body back to Outland."

"Naga, Lexie - not fish," Brett corrected.

"Same difference," she mumbled. "I'm sure they taste the same."

Tiene sniggered a little but was starting to see the cracks in the so-called enemy's ranks. "So what of the Prince? Where did Kael'thas go?"

"Netherstorm in Outland," Lor'themar said. "From there he was able to extract a substantial amount of magic from the creatures in the area. Thus he sent Rommath to us with the method, so our people could recover from the loss of the Sunwell."

"But, Lor'themar," Brett injected. "He is undoubtedly taking orders from someone, and it is unlikely to be the Betrayer for the Prince thinks he has gone mad following his defeat by Arthas. Illidan's failure will be another notch on his tomb, so a new puppet is required."

"Supposition," Lor'themar grunted, irked.

"Fact!" Brett responded. The burly rogue was not one to vent frustration often, but his tone indicated the Regent Lord's reluctance to accept the monarch's defection was trying his patience. "My agents do not fabricate reports, Lor'themar. And keep in mind, some of them are Sin'dorei who, like you, want nothing more than their Prince to be wholesome and good. But the hard, cold fact is, he has turned away from you. His allegiance most likely sits with the Burning Legion now that Illidan is lying wounded, holed up in some temple in Shadowmoon Valley."

Tiene saw the fire in Lor'themar's eye. She rose and moved behind his seat, and started to massage his tense shoulders. "Relax brother," she said, empathy abounded. "Brett would not be telling you this if his sources were not reliable; you know this. Bitterly disappointed though you are by the news, you must try to accept that our people look to you now for leadership."

They all fell silent as house-staff entered to take away the empty dinner plates. The clink of china and cutlery afforded a small reprieve from what was becoming a tense atmosphere. Once the door closed, conversation resumed where it left off.

Lor'themar patted Tiene's hand as she rubbed his shoulders. "I know, Tiene. And apologies, Brett, I did not mean to infer your agents' skills were questionable. I am tired and disappointed, to put it mildly. First Sylvanas, now Prince Kael'thas..."

Brett smiled; he looked sympathetic. "It's quite alright, Lor'themar. I understand. We all want to believe our leaders and nobility are indeed working with honourable intentions. Still, the Burning Legion is one mighty foe, able to topple kingdoms by manipulating those in power."

The reference to the War of the Ancients did not go amiss on the two Sin'dorei.

With a deep, resigned sigh, Lor'themar gestured for Tiene to sit again, offering her a reassuring nod. Once she settled in her seat, he told her the most recent news. "An attack was orchestrated on Shattrath, a city of Nagrand in Outland."

"To what avail?" Tiene asked.

"It is base to the Sha'tar; divine beings - Naaru. And it is home to the Aldor, a division of Dranaei, whose people also inhabited Tempest Keep - Prince Kael'thas' new seat of power. The belief was Illidan had ordered the assault. But, His Highness, according to Grand Magister Rommath, had assumed, as Brett also mentioned, Illidan had gone mad following the demon hunter's defeat by Arthas. And so one question ensues; would the Prince follow the orders of a defeated madman?"

Silence swept around the table. Tiene and her two colleagues waited for her brother to continue.

Grabbing his goblet, Lor'themar swirled the contents as he contemplated the evidence. "Rommath became wary of the Prince, stating he suspected he was answering to the Legion after consuming fel energy while sourcing the arcane for us to use here. Rommath hastily accepted the task of bringing the extraction method back to these shores. His loyalty, it appears, is more for his people than it is to his Prince."

"The source of our vitality - " Tiene said, thoughtful. "Perhaps that was the bargaining chip the Legion offered Prince Kael'thas? They would ensure we, as a nation prospered if he swore allegiance?"

Lor'themar stared at Tiene. "That would indeed be feasible, and it would also explain why those the Prince sent forth to lay waste to Shattrath laid down their arms, offering fidelity to the Naaru. It was the prefered option rather than becoming a party to the Legion's design."

Tiene took a few moments to go over what she had just heard. In effect, Prince Kael'thas had been seduced by the very power which had instigated the decimation of Quel'thalas; this was a devastating turn of events.

She looked across at her brother. He was profoundly troubled, and a look in his eye plus the way he postured, told her he had been hoping against hope. Poor Lor'themar, it seemed like all the responsibility of governing Quel'thalas was going to end up on his shoulders, alone.

As for the Betrayer, this Illidan Stormrage - his loyalties were still being questioned. It was understandable his people might see him as another puppet of the Burning Legion, after everything he had done. But others, like Brett, for example, saw hairline fractures in their assumptions.

Rumour now had it he was training volunteers to fight against the Legion and creating a specialised army. If this was the case, then perhaps, just perhaps, he may be the leader Azerothians needed to defeat the Burning Legion. Maybe all this while, he had to try to infiltrate the enemy so he could work out how best to overcome them.

With a glance at Lexie, she raised her glass. Lexie could have been smiling, Tiene didn't know, but she made a silent toast to her good friend for having brought her back from the brink of despair. There was work which needed doing, and for the first time in a long while, Tiene felt something akin to hope once more.

Lexie inclined her head, winked, and also raised her glass.

                                ____________________________________________

Thank you for reading!!!

All comments, advice and suggestions are most welcome. Should you like this chapter, please be kind enough to vote, it would be most appreciated. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.1K 145 35
ForestFae, a Night Elf girl raised in the ghetto of Westfall. Pushed into thievery and assassination, in attempts to keep food on her family's table...
3.1K 102 21
||Book 2, please read Dauntless Initiate, before reading this one. This book picks up exactly where the other one left off for Tempest|| ||I own noth...
77.7K 6.5K 58
❃ AWARD-WINNING WATTPAD FEATURED STORY ❃ Still reeling from the fallout of the Battle for the Broken Shore, Khadgar learns Azeroth has less than one...
2.1K 178 29
❝ π‘‘β„Žπ‘’ π‘˜π‘–π‘ π‘  π‘œπ‘“ π‘Žπ‘› π‘Žπ‘›π‘”π‘’π‘™ π‘π‘Žπ‘› 𝑝𝑒𝑑 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 π‘‘π‘œ 𝑠𝑙𝑒𝑒𝑝, π‘“π‘œπ‘Ÿ 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛 π‘Ž 𝑑𝑒𝑣𝑖𝑙 𝑖𝑠 π‘π‘Žπ‘π‘Žπ‘π‘™π‘’ π‘œπ‘“ 𝑓...