The Catalyst

By kittersummers

In a politically volatile kingdom, Noah is tasked with finding the catalyst, a magical artifact rumored to gr... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
A Tale of Two Knights
The Winter Elf Princess
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Thank You for Reading
Sequel

Chapter 9

2.5K 281 257
By kittersummers

Flinching at the sound of rustling feathers, Tessa spun as the red-tailed hawk landed gracefully upon her windowsill, folding his wings.

"I've been expecting you." Tessa's bare feet made no sound on the fluffy carpet as she went to the window. This was not her first time seeing Kitera's demon, but she still felt nervous around it.

Tessa untied the rolled piece of parchment from the hawk's claws and began reading. Clearly scribbled in haste, Kitera's note didn't reveal much, save that Noah Starborn might be suspicious.

All the more reason to have sufficient leverage on him. Tessa would take care of that soon enough. Fingers closing on the nearest quill, Tessa penned a quick reply, instructing Kitera to carry on with everything as planned.

After the small roll of parchment was secured in his grasp, the hawk took flight, shedding a feather. Tessa closed the window, shivering. She was adjusting a gossamer shawl about her shoulders when the guard outside announced, "The Lady, um, Healer Bellissa Ethemani."

"Let her in," Tessa called, annoyed. That damned guard always fumbled with titles.

Bellissa slipped in quietly, holding a small tray with a single cup on it. She set it down on the low table, next to the other trays bearing delicacies Tessa hadn't yet touched. A sigh escaped Tessa's lips as she eyed the contents of the cup.

"Everything all right?" Bellissa took her usual place on one of the sofas, replacing her skirts. She reached for a slice of pear.

Tessa sat next to her friend. "I won't be needing that potion anymore."

This particular concoction was the main reason why noble ladies paid high prices for Bellissa's services. Tessa was not the virgin queen the realm believed her to be. However, the image was easy to maintain, given there had never been a single pregnancy.

"Things aren't good with Tomas, I take it?" Bellissa asked.

Tessa's affair with Tomas Clay, Captain of the Felleran Army, was a secret tightly-kept from all but two people. Bellissa was one of those two.

"He knows about the engagement. I wished for him to hear it from me. It shall be publicly announced in six days, at the ball," Tessa said.

Bellissa nodded slowly as she spread cheese onto a slice of bread. Discussing Tomas pained Tessa, but she supposed Bellissa was the perfect person for it. She was the kind that listened much and spoke little. Far along in her thirties, Bellissa was gifted with pleasing curves yet favored simple garb, her dresses loose rather than tight, choosing comfort over fashion. The noble ladies residing at the castle mocked her for it. If they knew how little Bellissa cared, they might stop. Or perhaps not. Tessa suspected those women truly had no better occupation with which to fill their days.

"What did Tomas say?" Bellissa asked.

"Nothing." Tessa clutched a pillow to her lap and plucked at a loose thread in the gold embroidery. "He's disappointed, of course." She tried to keep her voice level, to hide how much it hurt.

She wished her dogs were here. Her chambers always felt rather empty without them, and their presence comforted her. But the maids had taken Warrior and Onyx out for their morning stroll.

"Disappointed you're getting married," Bellissa asked carefully, "or disappointed you're getting married to the Azurian heir?"

Tessa threw her hands in the air. "Both. Well, he's surely the only soul in the entire realm that disapproves of a marriage. I'm not getting any younger and Fellera needs an heir. The Gods help us all if one of my daft cousins ends up on my throne." She shook her head. "But a marriage to an Azurian? Tomas is hardly the only one upset. People simply don't understand. I have no choice. It's over."

Fortified as it was, her castle might very well hold. But a siege would have them all starving before half the winter had gone. If the Azurians' dark mages didn't kill them all first with their dirty tricks.

Tessa breathed a sigh. "This alliance is our only hope. I received another letter from Emperor Shezenos yesterday, in which he confirms that even if I marry his son, Fellera will be free to worship her Gods. We shall stay true to our language and our traditions."

Bellissa took a sip of coffee. Tessa reached for her cup and did likewise. This coffee happened to be a gift sent by the emperor. Their correspondence had its perks.

"What of the Azurian ways concerning marriage?" Bellissa inquired.

Tessa settled back in her sofa, porcelain cup in her lap.

"He insists Myzian should have many wives," Tessa admitted grudgingly. "Though Myzian assures me he couldn't care less. He claims that if I marry him, he shall be so blessed he'll never need or even think of another."

"How very romantic," Bellissa commented.

"I nearly fainted," Tessa played along.

Bellissa voiced a chuckle. She waited a beat, then, "You should eat something, Tessa."

"Perhaps later."

Through the door, the guard's voice came again.

"Captain Tomas Clay, Your Majesty."

Tessa's shoulders tensed, and she saw the uncertainty in Bellissa's eyes.

"You can stay," Tessa answered her friend's unspoken question. Louder she said, "Come in, Tomas."

The man who had been her father's best friend entered the room, closing the door carefully behind himself. The age difference had never bothered Tessa. While she was twenty-seven, Tomas was thirty-nine and still athletic, with curling light-brown hair and deep-set blue eyes.

With his title and noble background, Tomas could have been King Consort. Sadly he was already wed to a noble lady here at court. They had been married before the Gods by High Priest Morgan himself, when Tessa was far too young to know the depth of her feelings. In Fellera, marriage was forever.

"What can I do for you, Tomas?" Tessa pushed herself up from the sofa.

He wore his black uniform, lined in gold, with the blue star of Fellera emblazoned upon his breast. He had a healthy tan from spending a great deal of time outside over the spring and summer. Tessa fought the urge to go to him and kiss him, and pretend like everything was all right. This was why she needed Bellissa to stay.

Tomas answered her question with another, "Could we be alone?"

Tessa's response was immediate, "No."

He lowered his voice. "Tess, please, I was hoping we could talk."

"I'm afraid my answer stands." It hurt to be so cold, but she must. "There's nothing left to discuss."

Dread sank deep in her stomach at the look he gave her. She clenched her fists. She couldn't let it show.

"I see," Tomas said.

For a moment there was only the crackling of the fire, and the sound of Bellissa pouring more coffee into her cup.

Then Tomas spoke again, curtly. "Lord Myzian wishes to see you. A guard was on his way to let you know. I told him I would inform you myself."

"Thank you for telling me," Tessa said, careful to show no emotion. "However, there's something I must take care of first. Would you fetch a guard for me? One of Kitera's new recruits, perhaps, I find their keenness is unrivaled."

"Of course, right away, Your Majesty." Tomas bowed.

"One last thing. I wish for you to return to the barracks. Today. We've lost a lot of soldiers in the war, and I should like you to supervise the young ones' training," Tessa said.

Tomas frowned. "Forgive me, but I was under the impression that we were entering times of peace, what with the new alliance."

Tessa raised her chin. "One must always be prepared. Are you suggesting leniency with the training of our new soldiers?"

The hint of a smile crossed Tomas's face. A sorrowful smile, if smile there was.

"Of course not. I shall leave today and spend the winter there unless you call back for me."

He left after one last glance.

Tessa sat down, feeling cold and dizzy.

"Are you all right?" Bellissa asked softly.

"I will be," Tessa said. "This is for the best."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115 26 25
Over one year has passed since Brennah Watson came to possess the villainess in her favorite novel. During that time, she has come to terms with her...
1.8K 645 31
A seemingly simple girl who has recently completed high school, turns 18 one night and wakes up to find out the whole truth about her family and thei...
90 11 18
Ash's blind fury towards the Holy Order leaves his spirit and mind adrift, unsure on who to trust, including himself. He fights to find a place in th...
3.9K 327 33
After being torn from his family by the kingdom's highest-ranking mages, Jonah is forced to fully embrace his own magical heritage, and join their ra...