The Boy in the Woods (2014 Wa...

By KatherineArlene

A newly expanded and professionally edited version of the Boy in the Woods is now available for sale as an eb... More

A Brief Word
Chapter 1 - Jess
Chapter 2 - On the Street Where You Live
Chapter 3 - Tears On My Pillow
Chapter 4 - Lonesome Town
Chapter 5 - Lonely Boy
Chapter 6 - Maybe
Chapter 7 - It's Just a Matter of Time
Chapter 9 - Don't Be Cruel
Chapter 10 - One Summer Night
Chapter 11 - Problems
Chapter 12 - Twilight Time
Chapter 13 - I Got a Feeling
Chapter 14 - School Day (Ring! Ring! Goes the Bell)
Chapter 15 - Why
Chapter 16 - Alone With You
Chapter 17 - Who's Sorry Now?
Chapter 18 - It's Not For Me To Say
Chapter 19 - What a Difference a Day Makes
Chapter 20 - Silhouettes
Chapter 21 - You Send Me
Chapter 22 - The Secret of Christmas
Chapter 23 - Gonna Give Myself a Party
Chapter 24 - Let's Start the New Year Right
Chapter 25 - My Happiness
Chapter 26 - Am I Losing You
Chapter 27 - It's Time to Cry
Chapter 28 - Heartaches by the Number
Chapter 29 - Don't You Know
Chapter 30 - Here Comes Summer
Chapter 31 - Five Feet High and Rising
Chapter 32 - Tell Him No
Chapter 33 - Arrivederci
Chapter 34 - He'll Have to Go
Chapter 35 - Sixteen Candles
Chapter 36 - Come Go With Me
Chapter 37 - Somebody's Back in Town
Chapter 38 - Put Your Head on My Shoulder
Chapter 39 - Wishful Thinking
Chapter 40 - The One You Slip Around With
Chapter 41 - The Twist
Chapter 42 - Only the Lonely (Know the Way I Feel)
Chapter 43 - It's Now or Never
Chapter 44 - Swingin' School
Chapter 45 - Where the Boys Are
Chapter 46 - Run To Him
Chapter 47 - Surrender
Chapter 48 - Take Good Care of My Baby
Chapter 49 - I'm Sorry
Chapter 50 - I Fall To Pieces
Chapter 51 - Town Without Pity
Chapter 52 - Let's Twist Again
Chapter 53 - Do You Love Me?
Chapter 54 - Don't Break the Heart That Loves You
Epilogue - God Only Knows
This Is Not the End - Jonathon's Story is Finished!
Exciting News about The Boy in the Woods!
Finding Marty
My Writing Process and The Boy in the Woods
Buy the Published Version of The Boy in the Woods!
A Paperback Version? Yes!

Chapter 8 - Hearts Made of Stone

161K 5.8K 1.7K
By KatherineArlene

Excited about having a picnic, Jess half ran, half walked to the cabin, anxious to get her and Marty's lunches. As soon as she burst into the clearing, she ran to the cabin and into the kitchen where she snatched her basket and his battered brown paper bag off the counter, then turned and sprinted back to the path. 

On the way back to the pond, she tried to figure out how she could give Marty the extra sandwich she'd brought for him, without him realizing the reason why.  But by time she reached the pond, she still didn't have any idea.

Marty was sitting on the fallen tree trunk wearing his jeans but no shirt.  He stood as she approached him and she turned her head to avoid looking at his bare chest.  Unfortunately, she noticed his underpants lying across a bush some distance away. 

Oh, no, she thought.  He was naked under his jeans.  Not wanting to think about it, she turned her head the other way only to have her eyes rest on her own underwear lying in a wet heap on the ground near the tree trunk.  She was mortified.  How could she have just left them there?  She knew he had to have seen them. 

"Here," she said, thrusting his paper bag at him without meeting his eyes. 

As soon as he took it, she quickly scooped up her underwear, hoping he didn't notice her flaming face.  Hiding behind a bush, she squeezed the excess water out of her undershirt and panties, then laid them out on the top of the bush to dry in the sun, making sure Marty wouldn't be able to see them from where he was.

When she stepped out from behind the bush, Marty was seated on the grass under one of the willow trees next to the pond.  He was slowly untwisting the top of his paper bag with his head down and his half-dry hair falling over his eyes.  She stepped through the veil of willow branches and sat near him, carefully tucking her skirt around her bare legs.

She waited for him to acknowledge her presence, but he seemed intent on the task of opening the top of his bag, so she bent over the basket on her lap and opened the dish towel Annie had used to line it.  Marty pulled out a thin sandwich crudely wrapped in wax paper and started unwrapping it. 

Wishing more than ever she knew how to go about giving him a sandwich, Jess took out one of her wrapped sandwiches.  She couldn't help noticing how thick it was compared to his.  Then she saw his unwrapped sandwich as he began to bring it up to his mouth.

"Is that peanut butter and jelly?" she asked loudly, and his hand froze halfway to his mouth.

"Yeah," he said warily, his eyes suddenly guarded.  "What of it?" Immediately alerted she was on shaky ground, she began carefully.

"Oh, I just – haven't had one in forever," she said, smiling in an attempt to reassure him.  "My uncle doesn't like peanut butter – so we don't have any in the house," she added.

"Oh," he said, then shrugged his slim shoulders as he began to raise the sandwich to his mouth.

"Marty?" she said, stopping him again. 

"What?" he said, clearly annoyed.

"Would you mind – I mean, would you like to trade sandwiches with me?" she said, holding hers out.  He looked between her and the sandwich with suspicion, weighing her intentions.  She tried to keep her face neutral.  "It's ham and cheese, but – maybe you don't like Swiss cheese," she added, suddenly remembering how she used to hate it when she was little.

"I – like it okay," he said hesitantly, but he still seemed reluctant.

"Please?  I really miss peanut butter and jelly."  He looked in her eyes for a long moment, and then his face lost some of the tension.

"Okay," he said, and held his sandwich out to her.

"Thanks," she said, trying not to appear too relieved, but he stayed silent while he dropped his head and began unwrapping the ham and cheese sandwich. 

She took a small bite and as soon as she tasted the familiar sweet jelly mixed with the salty peanut butter, she closed her eyes and took another bite. 

"It tastes so good!" she exclaimed, opening her eyes and smiling at him. 

He ignored her and took an enormous bite out of the ham sandwich.  She rummaged through the basket to find the homemade dill pickles Annie had wrapped in yet another square of wax paper.  She unwrapped the paper and laid it on the grass between them. 

"Help yourself to a pickle," she said.  This time Marty didn't hesitate to take one and bit into it with a loud crunch.  She took one and made just as loud a crunch when she took a bite, grinning while she chewed. 

While they ate, she looked out at the pond.  A slight breeze made the cattails rustle and the willow branches trail back and forth across the water's edge.  In the middle of the pond, the water rippled and glittered while dragonflies skimmed across the surface.  Jess felt light and happy.  She didn't think she'd ever had a picnic in a more beautiful spot before. 

She looked over at Marty.  He appeared relaxed as he ate, concentrating on his food more than the beauty around him.  Now was as good a time as any to ask him the questions she was dying to know the answers to. 

"Marty, how old are you?" she began, hoping this question wouldn't seem too intrusive.

"Fourteen," he mumbled to his sandwich, his mouth full of ham.

"Oh, I'm thirteen."  He continued chewing.  "You don't live here – on the property, do you?" she asked quietly.

This time he stopped chewing for a moment while he examined her carefully.  She kept her eyes on his, hoping he'd see he could trust her.  Finally he finished chewing while he looked down at his sandwich. 

"Of course not.  Don't be stupid," he muttered before he took another bite.

"But how do you get through the fence?" she blurted out.  "Is there a hole in it or something?"  If there was, maybe he could show her, and then she could leave.  Even if there was nowhere to go, she could at least know she wasn't trapped behind the locked gate.

As soon as he swallowed, he said, "I climb it."

"How do you climb the bars?" she asked, thinking how slippery they must be.  He shrugged his shoulders.

"I just do."

"But – the spikes," she added with bewilderment. 

"It's not that hard, if you know what you're doing," he said nonchalantly. 

She couldn't help feeling disappointed.  She'd really hoped there was a way off the property, or at least an easy way.  Maybe with his muscles, he didn't have any trouble climbing a high iron fence with spikes at the top, but she knew she would never be able to.  She took a deep breath, trying to shake the feeling.

"So – where do you live?" she asked slowly.  He was immediately on guard again, the tension evident in his slim, bare shoulders as he eyed her warily.

"What's with all the questions?" he asked suspiciously.

"I just wondered," she said, trying to sound casual.  His eyes didn't change.  They were full of suspicion, but there was also a hint of anger too.  It reminded her of how he'd looked at her the day he met her.  "You know I won't tell anyone," she added softly.  "I swear it."  He slumped as he looked at the sandwich he was holding in his lap.

"I –."  He stopped and took a breath.  "I live in a house, like everyone else," he muttered quietly, his shoulders hunched.

"With your parents?" she prodded.

"Do you think I was hatched?" he muttered bitterly, but he wouldn't meet her eyes.  She waited, thinking he might say more, but he didn't.

"Do you have any brothers or sisters?" she tried gently.

"Not anymore," he spat angrily, looking out at the pond. 

What did that mean, she wondered as she watched him.  He continued to stare out at the water with anger, but it was clear he was somewhere else, tension radiating off his body.  She felt terrible for having brought up what was obviously a sore subject and upsetting him. Whatever was going on in his home, wasn't very good.  His parents were obviously poor, and either couldn't or wouldn't take care of him.  And she wondered what could have happened to his siblings, and why he would be so angry about losing them.  

Looking for a way to change the subject and relieve the tension, she reached into the basket and pulled out the chocolate chip cookies Annie had packed for dessert.  The rustling of the wax paper being opened got Marty's attention and she set them on the grass between them.  He stared at the cookies, but didn't move

"You can have some, if you want," she suggested quietly.

After a hesitation, he picked one up and pressed it against his nose, breathing deeply as he closed his eyes.  He bit into it and then examined it while he chewed.  By the time he'd finished it, his shoulders had relaxed and the tension in his body had ebbed away.  She tried not to smile as she chose a cookie and made a mental note.  He liked sweets.

With all the food eaten, Marty stretched and yawned.  "I'm bushed," he said lying on his back and putting his arm over his eyes.  Realizing how tired she was as well after all the swimming, Jess laid down in the grass on her stomach, turning her head so she could look past the willow branches at the pond.  The sound of the birds in the trees and the breeze rustling through the cattails soon lulled her to sleep.

When her eyes opened, she was looking right at Marty.  He was lying on his back with his eyes closed and his arms up, his head resting on them like a pillow.  His shaggy golden brown hair was completely dry and long enough it fell over his arms.  She watched his chest rise and fall slowly as he slept.  His tanned skin looked smooth over his slim chest, the muscles easy to spot on his lean frame.  Her eyes slowly travelled down to the waistband of his jeans, low enough to expose his hip bones.  They were too big on him because he was so skinny, she decided.  That's why they didn't stay up on his waist like they were supposed to.  He probably couldn't afford a belt.

When her eyes travelled back up his body to his face, his brown eyes were open, looking right at her.  She felt her face flush, immediately embarrassed he'd been watching her as she looked at him, but his face was free of any expression, not letting her know what he was thinking.  She turned her head the other way, hoping he didn't notice her blushing.  While she waited for her face to cool, she felt a fluttering in her stomach.  She didn't know if it was because she'd been caught looking at him, or because of what she'd seen, but she tried to ignore it, hoping it would go away soon.

After a while, she was getting sleepy again and decided she better go home.  The last thing she needed was to accidentally nap until dinner time.  She rose up on her knees and stretched.  Marty was facing away from her, lying on his side.

"Marty." 

When he didn't move, she reached over, putting her hand on his warm arm and jiggled him, repeating, "Marty."

He jerked away from her touch and rolled over, his eyes wide and blinking under his long hair until he focused on her face.  

"I should get going," she said, picking up their wax paper and crumpling it into a ball before putting it into the basket, not wanting him to know she noticed his reaction.

"Oh," he said, sitting up and running his fingers through his hair to get it out of his eyes. He located his empty paper sack and smoothed it flat before folding it and sliding it into his back pocket.

Going behind the bush to retrieve her underwear, she was dismayed they were still damp.  Not having any other choice, she put them on anyway.  When she had her dress back on, she hesitated, and then called out, "Are you dressed?"

"Yeah." 

She stepped out to find him with his t-shirt and boots on.  He started down the path through the thick grass, putting his fishing pole over his shoulder and she fell in step behind him.  Enjoying the way the grass undulated like a green-gold sea as it swayed in the afternoon breeze, she felt really happy.  Even with the awkward moments between her and Marty, she thought it had been one of the happiest days she'd had since she'd come to live there.

When they reached the cabin, Marty went in the kitchen and pumped the handle of the pump to get a drink of water directly from the spigot.  Once he'd finished, he stepped away, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand and Jess stepped forward to do the same.  The water tasted delicious, cold and refreshing.  When she finished, she wiped her mouth with the back of her hand like Marty.

"I better go," she said.  He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the cook stove, as if he was afraid she would try to shake his hand again.  When he didn't say anything, she added, "Thanks for taking me fishing."  He snorted.

"I didn't catch anything."

"I know, but it was still fun," she said smiling. 

"I reckon," he said, shrugging his shoulders and looking away, but she saw the corner of his mouth twitch.  He was trying to keep from smiling. 

"Bye Marty," she said happily, heading out the front door.

Just before she stepped onto the path to go back to her house, she glanced over her shoulder.  He was leaning against the door frame watching her, his arms still crossed over his chest and she gave him a small wave before she stepped out of his sight. 

She was still feeling happy when she walked into the kitchen.  Annie looked up from the stove where she was stirring what smelled like a delicious stew.

"Have a good day?" she asked cheerily as Jess set the basket on the counter.

"Yep!" Jess said, grinning.

"Swell!  You should be sure to wash up after being in the woods all day although – you look as clean as a whistle," she said, examining Jess more closely.  Jess immediately felt uncomfortable and turned to leave, but Annie put her hand on her shoulder to stop her. 

"Why – your shoulder is wet," she said with confusion as Jess slowly turned around.  She ran her hands over Jess's shoulders, feeling the dampness from her undershirt coming through her dress.  "What on earth have you been doing?"  Jess tried to think of something to say, but what explanation could she give other than the truth. 

"Jessica Blackwell, you tell me right this instant!" Annie demanded, suddenly looking upset as she placed her hands on her hips.  "What have you been doing?"  Jess knew she didn't have any other choice.

"Swimming?" she said faintly, her heart thudding in her chest.

"Was it in a pond?" Annie asked, emphasizing the word with a raised eyebrow, and Jess's heart sank.

"Yes, ma'am," she replied even more quietly, barely able to meet her eyes.

"Jess, I know that pond," Annie said sharply.  "That water is deep!  It's way over your head!"

"I know how to swim!  I've been taking lessons my whole life!" 

"You ate your lunch while you were there!" Annie continued as if she hadn't heard her.  "Don't you know you could've gotten a cramp and drowned!  You were all alone!"

"But nothing happened!"

"That's it," Annie said decisively.  "I don't want you going back there."

"What?  No.  Please don't say that!" Jess begged desperately.  "Please, Annie!"   

"It's far too dangerous," she said, shaking her head.

"What if I promise never to go in over my head?" Jess said quickly.  Annie opened her mouth to say something, and then closed it.  "I promise! I won't ever go in over my head," Jess added emphatically.

After a long moment, Annie asked, "And you'll wait a long time after you eat?  So you don't get a cramp?"

"I promise!"

"Well – okay.  But I'm trusting you're telling me the truth," she said, looking at Jess with meaning.

"I am," Jess said, meeting her eyes and hoping the guilt for all the lies she'd already told didn't show.

"Well, alright."

"Thanks, Annie," Jess said with relief, stepping forward to give her a tight hug. 

"It's okay," Annie said gently, smoothing her hair.  "You know I'm only doing this because I – I'm worried about you, pumpkin.  I don't want anything to happen to you."  There was a sudden roughness in her voice and Jess squeezed her tighter.

"I know.  I won't let anything happen to me.  I promise."  When she let go, Annie turned back to the stove, but Jess saw her wipe her eyes before she stirred the stew.

"I don't suppose you have a bathing suit to wear," she grumbled.  "Even though you're alone, I don't like the idea of you swimming in your underwear.  It's not proper."

"Actually, I do have a bathing suit," Jess said, suddenly remembering.  The suit was stuffed in the back of one of her dresser drawers.

"Well, you should wear it then, if you're going to insist on swimming," Annie muttered, still sounding unhappy with her decision.  "And I can probably find you an old towel."

"Thanks, Annie," Jess said, and then she thought of something else.  "You won't tell Uncle Jonathon, will you?" she asked, and Annie looked up from the stove.  She hoped Annie understood without her having to say it.  She had no doubt he would refuse to let her swim, not because it was dangerous, but because it was fun.

"I won't mention it to him.  But don't make me regret my decision, Jess," she warned. 

"I won't.  I promise."

"You better go change before he gets home," Annie said, turning her attention back to the stew, and Jess ran up the back stairs to her bathroom.

Once the door was closed, she breathed a huge sigh of relief.  That was a very close call, she thought.  But at least now she didn't have to lie to Annie about going swimming, or at least she didn't have to lie too much about it.  And now she could swim in a bathing suit instead of her underwear.  That was going to be so much less awkward around Marty, she thought happily.

Later that evening, she was walking down the hallway to join her uncle for dinner when she overheard Annie speaking and stopped, suddenly terrified Annie was telling him about her swimming.

"I don't understand," Uncle Jonathon said sharply.  "She already has clothes."

"But they're not suitable for playing in the woods.  That's why I think she should have some play clothes – so her everyday dresses don't get ruined."

Jess slumped with relief, remembering Annie had mentioned asking for play clothes that morning.

"What does it matter what her dresses look like," he muttered.  "It's not like anyone sees them."

"But there's no reason why she can't have clothes more suitable –."  There was a loud bang and the sound of cutlery rattling as her uncle hit his fist on the table.

"I know it may look like I'm made of money!" he shouted, his voice ringing through the hallway, and Jess shrank back, even though she wasn't on the receiving end of his temper.  "But I can assure you I'm not!  I won't waste money on clothes when she already has clothes she can wear outside!  Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, sir," Annie said quietly.

Jess's face burned, hearing the humiliation in Annie's voice, and then she felt anger sear through her.  Douglas had gone to Europe with an entire wardrobe of brand new clothes.  He hadn't had any trouble paying for those.

"Look, when she outgrows the clothes she has," Uncle Jonathon continued more quietly.  "I suppose you could get her some outdoor things," he said grudgingly.

"Really?  Alright," Annie said brightly, and Jess felt even more upset.  She knew Annie had just forgiven him for shouting at her. 

"Where is she anyway?" he snapped, and Jess immediately straightened, her stomach already full of knots.  "She knows I don't like to be kept waiting." 

"I'll pop up to her room and go see what's taking her so long," Annie offered quickly while Jess composed her face and smoothed down her hair.  Letting out a deep breath, she stepped into the dining room. 

"Oh, there you are," Annie said, sounding relieved.

"Excuse me for being late," Jess said to her uncle, hoping he wouldn't get angry again, and hoping he wouldn't figure out she'd overheard everything.

"Don't make this a habit, Jessica," he said sharply.

"Yes, sir," she said, sliding into her seat. 

Annie was already going through the swinging door and Jess desperately wished she wasn't.  She didn't want to be alone with her uncle.  He held his hand out for her bowl and she handed it to him.  Soon the only sound was their spoons scraping against porcelain and paper tearing as her uncle began going through his mail. 

Trying to make the knots in her stomach go away and forget the conversation she'd just overheard, she imagined she was back under the willow tree, eating with Marty while she looked at the sparkling water through gently swinging willow branches.

                              ~~~~~~

The sun was setting behind the trees, making the shadows across the clearing get deeper as the crickets started to awaken.  Marty stood up from the front step of the cabin and stretched until he heard his back make a satisfying crack.  He walked to the kitchen, and closed the back door, noticing the stiffness in his legs.  It must be from the swimming, he thought.

When he stepped out the front door of the cabin, he closed the door and jiggled the handle, making sure it was secure before turning to set across the clearing.  Entering the woods, he started for the fence, the quickening darkness doing nothing to slow him down.  After years of walking the same route, he knew the way well enough he could practically walk it with his eyes closed.

By time it was completely dark, he stepped out of the thickest part of the woods having reached the fence.  He listened hard as he pressed his face against the bars, looking up and down the two lane highway that went into town.  The lack of headlights and any noise but the crickets let him know it was safe. 

Looking up to make sure he was in the right place, he wiped his hands on his jeans then grasped the bars.  Pulling himself up, he gripped with his boots to keep from sliding down.  Hoisting himself up bit by bit, he made his way to the top.  Holding onto the top railing, he reached up until he had a hand around a low hanging tree branch that hung over the fence.  Grabbing onto it with his other hand, he lifted his body, navigating over the spikes until he was on the other side.

Within seconds, he had let go of the tree and was sliding down the bars to the ground.  After a quick check in either direction, he crossed the highway and started down the dirt road that led back to his house.  Shoving his hands in his pockets, he walked with his head down and his shoulders hunched, not noticing the full moon rising in front of him. 

 ****

I really hope all of you liked this chapter.  This and the last one turned out especially well, I think.  Jess and Marty's relationship has warmed up a lot, but he's still somewhat guarded around her.  What do you think of the information you've learned about him, and why he's so unwilling to share more?  And you got a little teaser from his POV.  There will be more to hear from Marty, but just not yet.

Then there's Jess and all the emotions she's experiencing around him.  I will let you speculate as to what it all means.  I'm sure by now, you're all very much hating on Uncle Jonathon for his attitude towards her, and towards Annie.  Let me know what you think about all of it!

Thank you for reading!  If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote!  The video is Hearts Made of Stone by The Carter Family.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

107K 3.9K 41
Aspiring pianist Tamsin Gilbert isn't what you might call a 'lucky' girl. In fact, she's got anything but luck - living in a small town in the middle...
5.1K 181 10
Jα΄α΄œΚ€Ι΄α΄‡Κ ⡊s α΄›Κœα΄‡ ᴏɴʟʏ Ι’ΙͺΚ€ΚŸ ΙͺΙ΄ α΄›Κœα΄‡ Ι’Κ€α΄α΄œα΄˜ sΚœα΄‡ α΄‘α΄€s α΄›Κœα΄‡ Ι’ΚŸα΄œα΄‡ ᴏꜰ α΄›Κœα΄‡ Ι’Κ€α΄α΄œα΄˜α΄€Ι΄α΄… α΄›Κœα΄€α΄›s ʜᴏᴑ Ιͺα΄›'s α΄€ΚŸα΄‘α΄€Κs ʙᴇᴇɴ α΄‘Κœα΄€α΄› α΄›Κœα΄‡ ʙᴏʏs ʟΙͺᴋᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ sᴀʏ π—π–Ίπ—Œ sΚœα΄‡ α΄‘α΄€s 𝗒𝗨π—₯ π—š...
203K 5.7K 51
You, Ian and Anthony have been Best friends sinds kindergarden and were always there for each other, But in high school you got a crush on him and th...
1.6M 53.7K 49
Two teens, one baby doll, and. . . one real baby? Nothing could possibly go wrong. . . . right?