The Sleeper Cells: A Terroris...

By WesleyBryant6

It wasn't supposed to happen. Not today. Not ever. It wasn't just a terrorist attack. It was a war... and th... More

Prologue: Don't Look Back
Chapter 1: Run
Chapter 2: Just The Beginning
Chapter 3: First Blood
Chapter 4: Nowhere to Go
Chapter 5: New Faces, New Threats
Chapter 6: It's Life or Death
Chapter 7: Traitor?
Chapter 9: Rock Bottom
Chapter 10: The Sleepers
Chapter 11: And Just Like That... She's Gone
Chapter 12: Lindsey or Kennedy?
Chapter 13: Something More
Chapter 14: Another Gone
Chapter 15: Torn Apart
Chapter 16: The Breaking Point
Chapter 17: Lindsey's Not Lindsey Anymore
Chapter 18: Too Far Gone
Chapter 19: Hello, Again
Chapter 20: Risks
Chapter 21: Shot
Chapter 22: They're Closer Than You Think
Chapter 23: On The Dark Edge
Chapter 24: Starting Over
Chapter 25: More
Chapter 26: The "Refugee"
Chapter 27: Cheater
Chapter 28: Fight
Chapter 29: You're Not Welcome Here
Chapter 30: The Vote
Chapter 31: Not Over Yet
Chapter 32: The After Party...
Chapter 33: "Yes"
A Letter to the Reader
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS

Chapter 8: Ambush

196 15 5
By WesleyBryant6

With squirming thoughts and confused faces, we start to do what we can: think out loud.

"Do we tell the others?" Kennedy utters under a whisper.

"Do we? Maybe it's just talk. But really, who knows what conversations they've had in there," I tell her.

"Tonight has been... eventful. It's never going to end, is it? Can I just go to bed and relax?"

"Kennedy, I don't think we should relax until we're one-hundred percent safe. In reality, that's just them talking. I think we should let them be. Go to bed. Sleep. I'll stay up for watch." I give her a wide smile.

Kennedy goes to bed and leaves me in the dark room alone. I climb the steps up to the loft and stare out at the night sky. My breath fogging up the cold glass in the back door. I draw a swirly line through the fogged area before swiping it away.

Maybe it would be better if Rosemary wasn't here. She has caused a few problems. But on the other hand, she could tell the sleepers at a camp where we are. She could rat us out, and we could be dead in a second. I don't know; I don't think she hates us that much. What else have they talked about in there? My dad always told me, "one bad apple can spoil the entire batch." I firmly believe Rose can and will become a poison for this group. Unless we give her a harsh wake-up call, she could bring so much misfortune. I hope she's not brain washing Lindsey, but we all know that wouldn't be too hard.

Titus comes out of our room, "Alright, you can sleep now. It's my turn to watch."

We bump knuckles and I finally head to bed.

__________

The next morning, I wake up with the same questions I went to bed with. Beaming through the window, the sunlight heats my bare feet as I make my way down the wooden steps. Seeing everyone sitting in the living room, I'm guessing Rose decided to leave last night. She's the only person not here. Everyone's sitting across from Lindsey, not in an interview way, but in a way of a broken relationship. Disappointed with elbows on their knees. Their heads drooping lower than usual. Everyone affiliated Lindsey with Rosemary, and now this is just another strike on Lindsey. It's not her fault, but she's the only person to blame.

"She left didn't she?" I ask the group.

Kennedy looks up and nods at me. Owen seems to have a different look about him; different than the rest. He doesn't have the understanding we do. He didn't see the way she was about to derail our plans.

"What does this mean for us?" I ask Kris.

"It means she will either be a prisoner... or dead, and these Sleepers are going to want to know everything that she knows. We don't have long here. Let's spend today packing up. We need to be out by lunch," he answers.

"But to where?" Lindsey utters.

"Anywhere. Rose has really done us over now. She surrendered. She quit on us. She might lose her life, and cause us to lose all of ours, too. It's disgusting... After what we've seen and dealt with! Why? Just why?" Titus finally stops his rant, dropping his flaring arms to his side.

"This place was perfect," Kennedy says. Her eyes drop to the floor and she shakes her head.

"Guys, stop. She has to do what's best for her," Lindsey is defending her, "maybe this is best. We don't know that much. Yeah, Owen said all that... but what if he doesn't know anything? What if he made it all up?" Lindsey made quotation marks in the air with her fingers when she said his name.

Owen finally speaks up, and I think he understands us now. "Excuse me? I'm not just feeding you guys crap! You haven't seen what I've seen," he turns his back, "this is ridiculous." Now he knows why Lindsey is alone on the couch. He shakes his head into his hands, slinging his denim jacket behind him.

I know Owen just showed up last night, but I believe him.

Kris stands up, 'Owen is telling the truth. Why didn't you give up and leave with Rose if you were going to defend her after she left? It's us... or her. We're leaving at lunch. What are you gonna to do?"

Lindsey looks at me for help. Her eyebrows raised and wide eyes. I stare into her, not breaking my gaze. It may be harsh, but I need to prove their point. She starts slowly shaking her head. "Why is this happening to us?" She bows her head and the room goes silent.

Kennedy looks at me and we have our own conversation with simple facial expressions. We both saw this coming; we overheard them last night. We nod to each other; we won't say anything about it. We're going to act like everyone else. I don't know any more than they do, I lie to myself.

Lindsey raises her head, "I'll go with you all."

"Okay, then get ready. We have a big day," Kris tells us as he turns around and grabs a bag.

"Thanks, Rose," Titus mumbles under his breath.

Titus and Owen go upstairs. I assume Titus is going to fill Owen in on what our story is and what's been happening with us. Lindsey goes to her room and locks the door so loud that everyone could hear it.

Yeah, if Lindsey is with us, she may cause trouble. But it's about survival. We can't push people away or leave people behind. And I think everyone knows that. We're going to do everything we can to make it. We would never cut someone off without hope. She lost her parents, and I know that's messing with her head. It has to be altering the way she thinks...

_________

At lunch, everyone eats just enough to keep us going. Everyone gets a gun or a knife and we disguise our backpacks just like Titus and I did days ago, covering them with mud and fallen leaves. We fill our dirty bags with supplies and meet at the front door.

"We have two options. Does everyone want to find a new place to stay, or try to work our way out of the sleeper zone?" Kris asks.

"Finding a new place that's safe will be difficult. I mean, we're in the middle of the woods...away from everything. Staying on the run and trying to find a way out is probably our best bet," Kennedy answers.

"She's right," Titus agrees.

Kris rubs his fingers through his short hair, "but the thing is, we don't know what area the sleeper zone is exactly. It could be huge. We don't have a map."

"We should at least stop by a house. Maybe grab even more supplies if we can, and search for a map. We have a large group. We all have guns or at least a knife. We can do this, guys," Owen suggests.

"Let's do it," I say.

Kris says, "Okay" and turns around with his shoulders held high. He's proud of us. We need to try to find a way to safety, outside of the sleeper zone.

Kris continues as he leads us into the woods, "we need to find a house that appears alone, maybe off to itself. We're not looking for friendly neighbors. Maybe we can spend the night in the house. Be ready and be alert. They can ambush us at any moment. Expect the unexpected."

After marching through the edge of the woods, we passed a neighborhood of homes. Too close to other houses and they don't have safe 'viewpoints'. Or it's too big or too small, too close to something or too 'risky'. After about an hour and a half of walking, we finally come upon a house that's feasible. It's the last house on this gravel road. Maybe we finally have the right pick.

The house has slate-colored walls with sprinkled white bricks. The windows are blocked on the other side by ocean-blue curtains. The doors are a deep red like expensive lipstick. It's one story and looks like the family took care of it. Everything is tranquil from the outside. Sleepers haven't touched it.

"Careful," Titus says as we approach the back door.

Kris turns around to us, "seriously, be quiet. Be quick. First, we have to check everything out. Is it safe? Could we hide here? Are there any traps? Ask yourself those questions. And please, watch out, guys."

We creep our way into the house. I can't help but have flashbacks to when Titus and I snuck into my house and then Kris'. We all separate and search the house. Except windows, the house has three exits. The white carpets and granite counter tops match the peaceful atmosphere. I lean over the sink and towards the window when I hear something.

Drip. Drip.

The sink was turned on recently. Small puddles of water still dancing on the drain. I look to my right and see a drawer slightly open. I slide the white drawer open fully. Silverware. Forks. Spoons...butter knives. I search the kitchen for a useful knife. Nothing. Someone has been here. And with the water still dripping from the faucet, I think someone is here.

"Ahhh!" Lindsey squeals in her high-pitched voice. Titus runs into the kitchen and swings his head around, looking for Lindsey. Kennedy bolts down the hallway, stomping the hardwood with each step. I run into the dining room to see the pantry area. The doors are open revealing Lindsey and five other people I have never seen before. Lindsey's eyes couldn't be wider. She's on her knees and at the mercy of the strangers. The man has what I was looking for—a knife. He puts it uncomfortably close to Lindsey's throat, "give us everything you have and leave... Now."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.1K 1.5K 45
📖Featured by @adultfiction on "Kills and Thrills" reading list📖 Previously known as "Undercover: Fake Identity" *** "What are you running away from...
190K 6.4K 41
Faith was happy with her life. She had a clear plan, and always knew what her next move was going to be. But then a terrible tragedy wiped out half h...
146K 3.1K 66
COMPLETED Violet is seventeen and has always been alone, with no friends, and barely any family to guide her along in life. Hiding herself has beco...
322 40 16
2nd Place in The Dragon Fire Awards 3rd Place in Science Fiction in the Tricolour Terrenial Awards. " No one was truly your own in this world. Everyo...