A Different Virus - Laura's S...

By CrystalScherer

This is a second view point from my original story - A Different Virus - Heartfire. I highly advise reading... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 113.5
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 46

12.2K 1K 160
By CrystalScherer

I heard Dave's alarm clock go off. This was the first time this trip that the smell of Diane's cooking didn't wake us up. We hadn't set up the tents last night, so I sat up and looked around. I sighed with relief as I saw Diane below.

It looked as if she had just started cooking. I started climbing down the ladder and noticed some odd flat square shapes leaning against the second trailer. I sat beside Diane and helped to flip the very first pancakes.

I heard Joel's surprised voice, "Where did those come from?!" I looked over to see him staring in shock at the odd squares. From this angle I could see that they were actually solar panels. Others were also looking his way, they had not noticed the solar panels yet. Then again, most hadn't even gotten out of their sleeping bags yet.

Diane chuckled at Joel's expression, "A present for you. I hauled them, but you have to set them up and connect them." Joel was our main tech when it came to electricity or the solar panels. He shook his head and went over to inspect the solar panels with excitement.

Dave looked surprised, "Where did you find those?"

Diane shrugged, "A small specialty shop I once saw when we drove through that town."

Dave turned to look at the decent sized town that was below the ridge we had camped on. I had looked at the town from on top of the trailers yesterday and it had been crawling with dozens of zombies. Dave commented, "A lot of zombies down there."

Diane chuckled, "Tell me about it, I noticed as I was packing those things back."

I eyed up the solar panels. There were at least thirty of them and each of them was longer than Diane was tall. I doubted that even she could have carried more than four at a time. That was a lot of trips through a town riddled with zombies.

Dave glanced at Diane, "We never even drive through towns that large due to the zombie infestation. We just don't move fast enough and we can't lure that many zombies away at once."

Diane was all too well aware of how slowly these trailers moved and glanced over at Joel. "Well, perhaps once Joel gets those things hooked up we might travel faster."

I grinned, she was probably tired of traveling so slowly. Dave chuckled and wandered over to steal the first pancake. He sat down to watch Joel excitedly moving the panels this way and that as he looked at the specs on the back. Dave called over, "So Joel, think you can rig those things up?"

Joel looked up, "Oh yeah, most solar panels use the same wiring so hooking them up will be a cinch once we secure them. We can probably attach a few to the sides of the trailers permanently, but most of them can be laid on top of the trailers and it will greatly improve the power coming in. We will just have to be careful if we have to climb to safety. I just have to splice a few wires and reset the converter to allow for greater power flow."

Dave looked interested as he munched on his stolen pancake, "Do you think you can have them up and ready by the time we break camp?"

Joel nodded as he dragged his electrical bag out of a trailer, "Sure, give me three or four helpers to get some of these things secured to sides and I can do the ones on top as we travel."

I helped pack up the camp as Joel conscripted three others to help him secure some of the panels to the side. They stored the rest on top of the trailers and Joel would work on them as we traveled.

I sat on my horse and watched as Joel hooked up the last of the wires. All three trailers now had all of the solar panels hooked up. Joel jumped down and closed the truck hood, "That was the last one, let's see how she goes."

Sandy was sitting in the driver's seat and pushed the acceleration lever all the way up. Dave burst out laughing at her face as the truck lunged against the trailer hookups before slowing as it started to pull the weight. We had a lot more power. The horses were going to be tired tonight.

Dave was chuckling, "Joel, you didn't tell me you were hooking up nitrous boosters."

Joel was grinning as he rushed over to mount his horse while the other two drivers quickly followed to test out their new speed, "What do you expect when you triple the power coming in? Those were a much higher efficiency than the ones we already had. They will even work pretty good on cloudy days."

Nick grinned over at Diane, "I want to see you lure all zombies away and still have energy to go for a run at 10pm this night!"

I shook my head in disbelief. I knew Nick was going to lose this bet. Diane grinned at his challenge, "Oh, and if I still go for my usual hour long run what are you willing to put on the line? How about you have to get up early to cook the food I collect?"

Jake snickered, "You should make him join you for your morning run."

Diane chuckled, "No way, he would slow me down too much on foot or tire out his horse if he rode."

"Hey!" We chuckled at Nick's indignant response. Nick continued, "Sure, you can wake me up when you want me to start cooking as long as you run from ten until eleven."

Diane chuckled, "It's a deal. Be prepared to be woken up early, and no grumbling or waking anyone else up."

Nick sealed his own fate as he grinned at her, "Deal, but you have to lure all those zombies well out of the way."

He was going to lose. It wasn't even questionable. There was no way that those trucks could go as fast as Diane did when scouting in winter. She wasn't fighting through knee deep snow this time either. I giggled, "Is he aware that the barley bread mix takes thirty minutes to rise before he can even begin cooking it?"

Nick blinked in surprise that I didn't even consider that he might win. Diane chuckled as she played along, "I suspect that he was not aware of that. He might be going to bed early."

One of the other ladies shook her head, "Just ensure that there is a strong pot of dandelion coffee on so he is bearable when we wake up."

I hoped that Diane stuck around to supervise Nick while he cooked. I had seen his one attempt at toast and it had been darker than Joel's black horse. If he couldn't toast bread, I wasn't sure he was capable of actually cooking a loaf of it.

We were moving faster now. We alternated the horses between a lope and a trot, slowing to walk when the sun hid behind a cloud and killed our momentum. Diane easily loped and jogged as she lured every zombie off of the road.

I climbed onto a trailer and pulled out my textbooks. With no class, I really had to ensure that I studied. If I fell behind the class back at the Fort, neither Diane nor my teacher would be impressed. If that happened, I might have to spend more days with that teacher. Studying on a long boring road trip was far preferable to that potential fate.

I occasionally called down a question and the others helped me. It wasn't long before one of the ladies got tired of her saddle and came to sit beside me. They always seemed to enjoy helping me. I had mostly gotten over the worst of my shyness with them.

I was trying hard for Diane's sake since we would be guests with this group for at least another week. Every one of them was preferable to the teacher at the Fort. I worked out a math question and gazed at the horizon for a while.

I actually really liked traveling with this group. I always had done better with smaller groups and had always been uneasy with the hundreds of strangers in the Fort. I was really glad that Diane hadn't left me behind at the Fort. I did somewhat miss Trish, Nathan, Rick, and Donovan, but seeing Diane so much more relaxed was more than worth it.

In truth, I was kind of hoping that Diane would make our temporary stint with the Traders a permanent change. I got to move around or sit as much as I wanted. It was mostly my choice on when I wanted to study and which textbook I grabbed.

But most of all, no one was trying to hurt Diane or myself. Neither harsh words nor blows or arrows ever came our way. I had gotten nervous and suspicious back at the base where I only trusted a handful of people. Out here, I knew I could trust Dave and his 12 group members. I got to relax and unwind.

Diane was as alert as ever, but even she seemed more relaxed and laidback. I could tell that this lifestyle was easier on her than the one at the Fort. Yet, even now, she kept many things hidden from those we travelled with.

She still wore her archery guard and it hid the scar of the bite mark on her wrist. She took it off when washing dishes and stuff, so the others had seen it. They didn't care though.

I suspected that unless she went into seizures or suddenly got red eyes that they would never care.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

201 58 17
The year is 2096. Computers, and other recognition software with them, have grown infinitely more powerful since the 2010s. Business is thriving. Peo...
102 20 15
Blood? My wrist was covered in it. It wasn't dried up or reeked of the combination of that black gunk from all those other freaks. It was fresh and w...
650 292 15
When Echo promises her dad that she wont give up and she'll survive the apocalypse, she keeps going just for him, even when times get rough. To her...
20.7K 1.2K 71
UNDERGOING EDITS/COMPLETED A day can change your life in an instant, just like one decision can change the path you take. But what if that day did no...