Loyalty Or Honour (Book 3)

Oleh randomthoughts96

The time has come for Hunter, the only illegitimate son of the late Lord Usani, to know the true meaning of f... Lebih Banyak

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Important.
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Author's Note
Family With Honour
Bear's story

Chapter Six

6.6K 569 13
Oleh randomthoughts96

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

"Ah yes!" Jasper cheers, arm extended to the sky as he punches it. Jacqui groans and covers her face as her brother leans forward in the saddle and loudly encourages his horse to break out into a full on gallop. A week of travelling has gone by and the sight of a tavern to spend the night has woken him from his tired boredom. He whoops again loudly as his horse flies across the grass, hooves flicking up pebbles and mud in its wake. Ross laughs. Jacqui eyes brighten and she turns in her saddle to him.

"Race me. The winner gets the single room, the loser shares with Jasper." She barters.

Ross shakes his head and answers, "I gain nothing by this race as I already have the single room."

"You must be terrified that you will lose. I genuinely pity you." She chews on her lip, head tilted to the side in mock pity.

"The winner gets every drink paid by the loser." He suggests. Jacqui considers it.

"I am in." She grins and twists in her saddle to nod.

"So am I. Orion will you make sure it's fair?"

"Of course."

"Wait, I did not agree to racing with him." Ross argues, eyeing Hunter with annoyance.

Hunter smirks, "You must be terrified that you will lose. I..." Jacqui's laughter at her words coming from his mouth cuts him off. Ross glares at them both. "Come on Ross, would you not like to buy me a drink?"

"I am in. Get ready to empty your pockets." Ross eventually grinds out.

Orion grins and leans across to whisper in Hunter's ear, "His horse is trained to stop and spin if you whistle." Hunter's nods slowly and Ross gapes.

"What are you telling him?" He asks quickly.

Orion shrugs, "Just telling him he cannot let the family down." Ross narrows his eyes at them but neither of them gives anything away. "Get in line then." They sit side by side, horses' heads directly level. Orion winks at Jacqui who blows him a kiss. He rolls his eyes. "Three, two...one." Three horses leap forward and charge after Jasper's small figure by the tavern.

Zandar chuckles. "How are you meant to know who wins?"

"Jasper will soon realise what is going on when he sees them all barrelling towards him. We will see what he has to say..." Before he continues he lets out a bark of laughter as Ross' horse stops and spins on its hind legs, bounding back towards them. Ross yells and tries to turn him back round. Orion bends over laughing as his chest starts to burn. Zandar shakes his head.

"I do not think I have ever seen Jacqui play a race fairly." He comments with amusement.

"For once I do not believe that was Jacqui. Hunter and I may have had a little conversation."

Zandar chuckles and shakes his head in mild disapproval. "You may have had a little conversation? Somehow I doubt your use of the word 'may'."

"If he lost I would be paying his debt. I checked his saddle bags one night while he was sleeping. He has little to no money, a few coins. He was not paid for his assistance as we were. Ross can afford it."

"Why not just pay his debt if he happened to lose?"

"I would refuse in his situation as I have no doubt he would. This keeps his pride and mine intact." Orion glances sideways at Zandar who presses his lips together. "You disapprove?" He asks with humour. Zandar meets his eyes. He shakes his head slightly.

"No I do not. However you did not need to interfere. Hunter rides well and his horse is of high quality and excellently looked after. He would have won hands down no matter the efforts of either Jacqui or Ross."

"That would take the fun out of irritating Ross when he tries to wheedle out what I whispered to Hunter now, would it not?" Orion grins and nudges his horse forward into an extended easy canter. Zandar soon follows.

They soon arrive where the three competitors have dismounted their horses and are arguing vocally. Well, Jacqui and Ross converse loudly, Hunter scratches his horse's ears and watches with amusement. Ross turns at the sound of the two riders dropping to the ground. He grinds his teeth.

"What did you say to the boy?" Hunter growls lowly deep in his throat at Ross using the word 'boy' copying Orion. Ross's eyes leap to him in surprise.

Orion glances at Hunter too and smirks. "I thought I already told you that I was ordering him not to lose. I could not have my little brother losing and destroying my family's honour now could I?"

"Really." Ross deadpans. "So how did he know to whistle during the race? I could easily have beaten him if my horse had not spun."

"You would have lost regardless." Hunter interrupts. "And the whistle... I have always done that when riding my horse, he knows to pick up his pace then." Ross scoffs. Hunter smiles. "Anyway I never heard any rules going into this race." Ross's mouth open then closes and he grimaces.

Jacqui grins and wiggles her eyebrows at Ross. "So let's go and get our drinks. What are you craving right now Hunter?" She tosses her reins to Jasper and hooks her arm through Hunter's. Hunter looks down at her with incredulousness. She beams at him, her eyebrows rising as she waits for his reply.

Orion pats him on the shoulder as he passes him. "Come on little brother." Hunter frowns for a moment watching as Orion stalks into the tavern. Jasper sighs loudly as the three horses restlessly chomp at their bits. Jacqui laughs and takes Hunter's horse's reins along with Zandar's and Ross's.

"We will meet you inside." She announces as she leads them away, Jasper by her side to the stables around the back of the tavern.

Zandar and Ross head after Orion, Hunter following a few steps behind. They are just quick enough to see a bag of coins transfer hands between Orion and the tavern's owner. The large rotund man casts a calculating eye over the three men, his gaze lingering on Hunter slightly longer than the others. Hunter stares him down but this does nothing to unsettle the man. Many people pass through these parts and stay in his inn. Most are much more intimidating than a young man. He does not underestimate anyone though; doing so would only result in pain and regret.

The man turns back to Orion and sighs softly. He scratches his jaw and that is when Hunter sees it. The man is missing two fingers on his left hand. There is a large gap extending from the knuckle. "The message is deemed private." He comments lowly, again glancing over at Hunter, Zandar and Ross.

"Then you better hurry up and tell me before the twins arrive." Orion says with impatience. The man again glances over at Hunter and Orion growls lowly. "Zandar, Ross, go upstairs and check that our accommodation is ready." They both nod and stroll past him, taking their time. The owner watches until they are out of sight up the stairs. "The boy stays. The message: now."

The owner wisely does not question Hunter's presence any further, perhaps noticing that Orion's hand has fallen to the handle of a knife. "He requests you make haste. There is precious chattel to protect and he trusts no other."

"That was deemed private?" Orion questions, his expression decidedly unimpressed. The owner presses his lips together and Orion sighs loudly. "Boy, check how the twins are getting on with the horses." He orders. Hunter pulls a face but turns on his heels and marches outside. Orion raises his eyebrows at the man. "I am quickly losing patience. I say I trust someone in future and you say exactly what you are meant to."

"HE would not trust your newcomer and I would rather face your wrath than his." The owner argues.

Orion scoffs. "His wrath is my wrath. Who do you think he sends to clear up his messes? Now what is the message before all those you deem unworthy return?" Orion grimaces and holds up his hand. "Boy if you are listening outside I would highly recommend you did not."

Silence stretches out and Orion lowers his hand but gestures for the man to keep his voice low. The man frowns and glances at the doorway, unable to comprehend why Orion was willing to let the young man remain in the room but now wishes for him to hear nothing. He shakes his head. He does not truly need to know. "He is betrothed by order of his father. He wants you to make sure she will be completely loyal to him no matter what."

"THAT was deemed private." Orion chuckles and pats the man on the shoulder. "Boy, you can come back now." He calls out and several seconds' later Hunter strides back in. Orion smirks at Hunter irritated expression. "Now I know you can hide your emotions better than that. Come along." He teases as he strolls past the owner and up to the bar. He nods at the woman and orders two strong drinks. She pours out a healthy glug and passes them over. Orion hands one to Hunter.

"Are you ever going to tell me who you work for?" Hunter murmurs softly before he knocks back the drink.

"I will when you need to know." He beckons the woman again. "Another one." She nods and pours another one out. At this moment Ross walks back down the steps and groans. Orion smirk grows larger. "Hunter offered me one of his free drinks." He comments.

Ross rolls his eyes. "They are only on me if either Hunter or Jacqui drinks from them." He sets a ground rule. Orion considers his words then nudges Hunter. He drinks the majority of his drink before handing it over to Hunter whose brow furrows in disgust and confusion. "Finish it for me would you Hunter." Ross shakes his head and orders a drink for himself. "I see that I need to amend that rule. They have to drink all of the alcohol that was originally poured into the glass." Hunter chooses now to hand the glass back to his brother with a shrug of the shoulders.

He leans on the bar and beckons the woman who places a warm smile on her lips. Orion frowns, noticing that he did not get that reaction. Why would she smile at his younger replica but not at him? He studies Hunter but sees nothing different in how he has grabbed her attention or how he looks at her. "I would appreciate a glass of your most expensive wine." He voice deepens beyond his natural tone and Ross and Zandar glance over his way.

Sensing their gazes on him he turns around. "Since when do you have that voice?"

"Asking that question out loud is not particularly loyal on your part now is it?" Hunter points out, remaining in the deep voice.

"You sound more like me when you use that voice." Orion says, not sure how he feels about that.

"When I have not been practicing as long as you but I am sure I will get to the point where I can keep it up all the time."

Ross lets out a bark of a laugh at the implication behind Hunter's words. Orion laughs and ruffles Hunter's hair much to the annoyance of the latter. The twins stroll in and Jacqui quickly orders ale. The woman sets the expensive wine before Hunter and the ale down before Jacqui then takes the others orders. Jacqui's lips twitch. "Why did you order wine?"

Hunter smiles and takes a swig. "Wine is more expensive than anything else in this place. Plus it annoys Ross even if he did not need to pay for it."

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

27.3K 1.3K 53
When King Richard is kidnapped on his return home from a five-year war, his daughter and heir, Katelyn is determined to rescue him from the clutches...
5.1K 155 26
Tagalog/English "Paghihigantihan kita Allen Romuladez!" ito ang mga katagang binitawan ni Geraldine when she made the vow of ruining the man he despi...
167K 6.1K 22
Quintessential Dynasty Series|| Book 2|| Lorenzo Santini|| 18+ Please note that you must read book 1, Deception before you read this book. ••• Weddin...
70.6K 1K 27
Fifteen years ago, Jane's whole family was massacred in one night by a rival family. That family then took Jane in to raise her, but after discoverin...