Chapter Twenty Four

Vote ~ Comment ~ Enjoy!

The day of the ball and the wedding comes round quickly. In the meanwhile Hunter keeps his head down and refuses to keep eye contact with Lady Arabella for any longer than necessary. She does her own part in requesting Orion's presence if she wishes to be escorted somewhere without her women. Miss Litt and Miss Frith make his job easier as they are a constant buffer between them. Miss Litt's shrewd eyes notice the clear awkwardness in the air and she adjusts Arabella's routine to fix it. This pushes Hunter further from her, making him just a shadow.

Despite this, the electricity between them refuses to die down and the smallest glance sends tingles down their spines. Arabella finds herself watching him in moments of boredom. This is always corrected by Miss Litt who drags her attention back to wedding arrangements or a simple exercise of stitching. No words have been exchanged between Arabella and Hunter for the last few days and despite how the last conversation went they miss it.

This morning, Hunter and Orion stand off to the side as the women eat their breakfast, Miss Frith excitedly giving suggestions of jewellery to perfect her Lady's look. Hunter shifts and stretches out his neck as he gazes out into the grounds. Orion taps him on the arm with a frown. His gaze slips to his brother. Orion shoots him a questioning look. Hunter forces a smile that appears more like a grimace.

There is a gentle tap on the door and Orion strides across the room to answer it. Two men wait outside, stood tall and strong. Orion nods at the two of them and turns to Lady Arabella. He bows before speaking, "These are our replacements until tonight, my Lady. Hunter and I have a special event to attend."

"As do I, brother." Alice interjects, rising from her seat. "With my Lady's permission, of course." She curtseys and stays sunk low until Arabella inclines her head with a smile.

"Enjoy your day, Alice. Please do make sure to return in enough time to prepare for tonight. I am told the dress is ready and perfectly exquisite for you to wear." Arabella says warmly. Hunter's eyes unwillingly land on her and her skin prickles around her neck.

The three of them stride from the room. Once out of sight Orion ruffles Alice's hair. She squirms away and tries pointlessly to fix it. "Since when were you invited?" Orion teases.

"Since Jasper invited me." She says in a sickly sweet tone and Orion's eyes narrow dangerously. Alice smirks and winks at Hunter who just chuckles.

"Since who invited you?" He grinds out.

"I think you heard me perfectly well." Alice grins and picks up her pace. Orion bites down on his tongue grasping at his patience.

"Since when did you and Jasper talk away from my presence?" Orion asks his jaw ticking. Hunter laughs into his hand.

"It has not been long," Alice glances over her shoulder, eyes wickedly mischievous. "Is he one of those you trust to dance with me?" She asks innocently.

"Not anymore." Orion answers under his breath.

"Well that is a shame. I have already promised my second dance to him, I would hate to go back on my word." Alice muses purposely out loud.

"Well we cannot have that. Alice and Jasper must dance together." Hunter adds, his voice barely hiding his humour. Orion shoots him a glare but they no longer hold the effect they used to. Hunter simply grins.

"Our little sister." Orion reminds and Hunter frowns. "Alice may dance with Jasper under supervision as will all further conversations be supervised." Alice rolls her eyes, determined to avoid her brother's over watchful eyes.