A Different Virus - Laura's S...

By CrystalScherer

This is a second view point from my original story - A Different Virus - Heartfire. I highly advise reading... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 113.5
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138
Chapter 139
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Chapter 150
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 43

12.3K 1K 222
By CrystalScherer

Diane held up my dress and I inhaled in excitement. It was a nice purple that matched the lilacs we had picked yesterday and it had some small white highlights in the creases of the dress. There were small white ribbons around the waist and wrists, and a bit of white lace along the edges of the neck, sleeves, and bottom.

It was beautiful. I quickly slipped it on and Diane brushed out my hair and ensured that my little purple butterfly hair clips were sitting perfectly. Diane was actually in a shirt and black slacks. We did take our backpacks – we had to since we were outside of the fence. Diane said that we would leave them in Matthew's office.

We headed over to the Fort to leave our backpacks in Matthew's office and we headed over to the big building where the wedding was being held. I had to be there early since I was the flower girl.

I glanced around the hall with wide eyes as we entered it. I knew that the Foraging groups had picked a lot of lilacs for this, but I didn't realise how many until just now. The very air had a strong perfume from their blooms and there were vases and arrangements everywhere.

I had rehearsed my steps the last few days. Trish rested a hand on my shoulder, "Relax. Diane is out there. You will do fine."

My shyness was once more causing me some serious issues. It was bad enough with just a handful of people, but everyone was here for the wedding. For a short time, almost a thousand people would all be watching me. It was a terrifying thought.

Trish smiled in encouragement, "We won't be far behind you and the moment we enter the room they will be watching us."

One of the other brides groaned, "Thanks... Now you are making me nervous. I always hated being on stage."

Music started playing in the background and I stared at the door in terror. That was my cue. Trish leaned down and whispered, "Do it for Diane, it will make her so proud."

I took a deep breath and tried to gather my courage. I jogged past zombies that wanted to eat me on a daily basis without problems. I was sure I would walk down an aisle with just humans watching me. My pep talk wasn't working.

I would do it for Diane. I started walking forward and the doors opened before me. To make her proud, I would face my demons. I put on a smile, which was made genuine as my shyness assaulted me. I carefully scattered flower petals as I walked at a measured pace down the aisle.

Oh my. There were so many people... I took a deep breath and kept putting one foot in front of the other. I hadn't gone far before the music altered and I knew the brides were coming out now. Many did stop watching me. Thankfully.

I glanced around a bit more. Despite the sea of faces, I spotted Diane in the crowd. She was smiling and watching me. I felt pride sweep through me. I had made her proud.

I had spaced out the flower petals perfectly and sprinkled the last few at the bottom step. I climbed up the stairs. I walked decorously to the spot that I did in practice and turned around to wait. On the raised stage, I realized just how many people were here. Wow.

It was a good thing I hadn't really seen the entire crowd before or I wouldn't have been able to leave those doors. I kept my smile on. I turned my eyes to Diane. She was currently watching Trish with a grin, but moments later her eyes tracked back to me.

From this distance it wasn't apparent how blue her eyes were, even though she was looking at me. I now had a picture of her and me in the locket around my neck. She looked like a normal person from up here, but I knew better. Her disguise and cover story were excellent though, and they seemed to have fooled everyone else.

The brides all came up on stage and went to stand beside their husbands who had been waiting for them. Each pair said their vows and the entire hall burst into cheers, hoots, and hollers. Trish and Nathan embraced in a passionate kiss. I swiftly covered my eyes. A quick peck on the cheek was one thing, but that sort of kiss wasn't allowed at the kitchen table and shouldn't be allowed in public.

The music entered an energetic pace and the newly wed couples headed to the open dance floor. I saw no point in remaining up here. My job was done. The only problem was getting off of this platform without attracting too much attention.

In the end, with all of Rick's training, it was more easily accomplished than I had thought possible. I easily snuck past the decorations and managed to work my way along the side of the building to where Diane had been standing.

I took her hand in mine with a sigh. I was glad that it was over. She didn't seem surprised at my appearance, so she had likely been watching my approach. I stood on my tiptoes, but was far too short to see through the sea of people.

Diane picked me up and carefully put me on her shoulders, ensuring that my dress didn't get crinkled up. I could now see the couples in their first dance. They had the first song to themselves. Diane and I cheered on Trish and Nathan amongst the noise of others cheers. This place was noisy.

The moment the second song started, it was a free for all as the ceremony ended and people were free to head to the dancefloor, grab food, or talk with others. Diane waited a few minutes for the worst of the rush to settle as people created impromptu paths through the mass of bodies.

She headed for the food tables with me still on her shoulders. We collected two plates before heading to the back corner. It had been roped off with a waist high rope as the kids' corner. We ate a bit before I managed to convince Diane to dance with me. A game of tag broke out and Diane encouraged me to play with the other kids while she visited with other parents and guardians nearby.

She did leave to go dancing with others occasionally, but she mainly stayed in the kids' corner. I noticed that she mostly danced with other Foragers, Raider, or Guards. Some others seemed a bit uneasy around her for some reason. I shook my head, they probably still thought she was going to turn into a zombie.

As the evening went on more and more children were taken away for bed time. Soon most of those remaining didn't want to play. Quite a few of the adults had also dispersed. Diane seemed to notice this, "Feel like heading back?"

I was ready to leave, "Yeah."

She nodded towards the half empty room, "Let's say good night to them before we go."

Trish and Nathan must be somewhere in that direction. I nodded happily and joined her as we crossed the large room. Sure enough, Trish and Nathan were on the far side.

Diane smiled at them, "Well, congratulations. I hope you two enjoy the married life."

Trish grinned, "Thanks! I hope we do too. I hope you have a good evening."

Diane nodded and turned to go before she paused, "You too. By the way, your wedding present is in your room."

Nathan frowned, "I made sure that I locked both the window and the door before I left." He had installed an actual deadbolt lock just for Trish's peace of mind. Most rooms didn't have locks.

Diane chuckled and waved a hand lazily at them, "Yeah, I noticed. I bribed someone to pick the lock for me and re-lock it afterwards. Good night."

Their jaws dropped and I giggled at their dumbfounded expression. They had expected a mere lock to stop Diane. Boy, were they funny. Why did everyone constantly underestimate her abilities?

Trish snorted, "All that work and we are still not safe from her... By the way, you get to enter the room first to trigger whatever trap she laid."

Nathan chuckled as the last part was directed at him. Diane laughed as we walked away. I grinned widely beside her. She had told me what she had done on the condition that I wouldn't mention it until tomorrow.

Diane had, somehow, managed to find a huge standing wardrobe and drag it not only back to the Fort, but also get it up the stairs. They had to assemble it, but even Diane had a hard time moving that box. She had also found brand new bedding in town for their new king sized bed.

Since Trish loved junk food so much, we had hidden about 50 mini bags of chips in their new room and taped a dozen chocolate bars to their ceiling in various locations before ensuring to hide every ladder in that building.

We grabbed our backpacks from under Matthew's desk and headed towards the fence. I took a deep breath of the fresh air as we left the building. After spending most of the day inside, the clear air was heavenly.

Diane stopped and turned to look at something behind us. I glanced up and froze. Someone was in a window above us, he had a bow in his one hand and an arrow in his other. He hadn't nocked the arrow yet. The way that Diane had spotted him was uncanny. He looked startled that she had noticed him.

Diane stared steadily at him. I knew that Diane could launch an arrow before he could even put his arrow on the bow string. I remained motionless where I was, as I was supposed to in this situation. The man slowly nodded and put his bow down before backing up out of sight.

I didn't recognize him, but he had obviously recognized Diane's silent warning in her stare. Diane turned and kept walking towards the fence without looking back. I walked beside her nervously and refrained from looking back as well.

We made it to the treehouse without any problems. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

650 292 15
When Echo promises her dad that she wont give up and she'll survive the apocalypse, she keeps going just for him, even when times get rough. To her...
753 56 51
A scientist works on BDA (bring dead alive) project for almost 50 years. He finally finds a virus and experiments that virus and gets shocking result...
1.1K 52 34
What would you do if one second you were struggling to survive with your friends and mother in tow, and then you wake up to find yourself with a grou...
873 249 37
They said that "Changing is part of LIFE.", at least that's what the CSD (Change and Save Department) used to say. They thought they created a "cure"...