Reality Check : : Barry A...

Door twistedwillow_wp

Elise is your average 25 year old girl; working hard to earn money and watching Netflix in her spare time. Sh... Meer

Blurb/Disclaimer
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
A/N: 2K READS
!!!

19

139 7 16
Door twistedwillow_wp

Eight hours and thirty-six minutes.

That's how long Mya and I have been asking witnesses about the Flash encounters they've had. The morning started slowly because we were talking to the witnesses of the first metahuman encounters. Now, we're onto the sightings from just a week ago.

Tomorrow should be a lot quicker.

"Okay, I think that's enough for today." Mya tells me. "I'm going to Big Belly for dinner on my way home. Wanna come?"

"Uh..." I want to say yes, but Cara wouldn't. "No thanks. I've got a quiche at home I made a day or two ago. It really needs to be eaten."

"Oh okay. I'll see you tomorrow." Mya grins. I sigh, pretending to find my next words hard to say.

"Actually, I don't think this is getting anywhere. Maybe we should just give up. We have twenty arrows, and there's no pattern." I lie. The map is in the side pocket of my wheelchair, and I've already started seeing the patterns. I don't like the fact that I basically used her, but I need to get home, and it was either lie to her or let her be ashed.

"Oh." Mya says sadly, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt. "Well, at least we tried. We can still hang out sometimes, right?"

"Yeah, of course. Text me whenever; I practically never have anything on, so I'm free most days." I smile at her and she grins.

"Sure. I'll let you go get your quiche." She says, leaning over so that we can hug. It's a bit awkward because obviously I'm in a wheelchair, and I think we're both glad when it's over.

"See ya." I wave. She reflects the action and walks away.

We are happy she is gone. She was dull... But we wanted to ash her.

I pick up Cara's phone and put it to my ear as usual.

"Yes, but that's not what I wanted."

She annoyed you and you wanted to scream every time she said something stupid.

"I thought you couldn't read my thoughts anymore."

We cannot; it was obvious to anyone not dull. We should have ashed her.

"Haven't you ever heard the saying 'Kill 'em with kindness'? That's the best way to do things."

I put the phone down and try to lock even Robin's voice from my head; I'm not in the mood to deal with it right now.

It would be kindness to ash her.

I roll my eyes and start my journey home. Now that I'm thinking about it, I actually really do want that quiche.

~§~

Home sweet home.

I really need to get my keys back off MJ, but I don't think she's gotten back from Starling yet.

"Hey, Wolfy." I can't help grinning when my puppy runs up to me excitedly, having been left in the apartment all day.

I wheel into the kitchen with Robin and Wolfgang following me silently. I guess anyone not used to this would find it creepy and weird, but I've sort of just accepted this as normal.

I get the leftover quiche out of the fridge and grab a fork, heading over to the dining table. Robin sits on air drafts in the corner again and Wolfgang has a drink from his bowl before curling up on his bed. Both of them are just watching me.

I find this dining room layout weird; one of the longer sides of the table is pushed up against the wall under a window, and the only two chairs are on the smaller sides of the table, about two and a half meters from each other.

The view from the window always gets me deep in thought; I can clearly see STAR Labs and the buildings around it. Maybe I should just watch from here to see if Barry will run in or out.

When you are done, we shall train you.

"Train me for what?"

Not for anything. It is needed that you strengthen your abilities. There are levels and limits to them, and you must learn these.

"So is this gonna be like the perk trees in Skyrim? Is there like a physical element and a mental element, or what?"

That is a silly game that has no bearing on this reality. It does not exist in this place, and you shall not mention it again.

Obviously, Robin hasn't had any good experiences with Skyrim. Noted.

"So how does this thing work?"

You can open anything you desire to. Simply try to open something and it will be done. The more often you unlock a particular object, the easier it will be to do so.

I frown, trying to think of something to test it out on. I'm done my quiche, so I put the dirty plate and fork into the dishwasher. I have an idea.

"What about a pickle jar?" I ask. Robin gestures in a way that says 'go ahead' and just watches me. I open the fridge and pull out the jar of pickles. I twist the lid and it won't open, but then I take a deep breath, focus and try again. This time, it works.

Try something harder. Challenge yourself.

I frown in thought again, unsure of what to open next. I'm about to ask Robin for ideas when there's a knock at the front door and inspiration strikes.

I move to the doorway of the kitchen and dining area, making sure I can see the front door clearly before closing my eyes and taking slow, steady breaths.

Picture the lock, then picture it open. Focus. Don't think, just feel.

Right. Picture the lock. Focus.

I stretch out towards the lock as if I'm using the force on it. I guess it helps if I feel like I'm channelling my power somehow.

The knocking repeats itself.

Focus.

I picture the lock opening and, miraculously, there's a soft click that comes from the front door. It swings wide open as I blink and lower my hands, sort of surprised even though I expected it.

"Uh, hey Cara." Iris looks incredibly confused. "How'd you open the door from all the way over there?"

"Remote control locks. Makes it easier to open the door without having to get myself all the way over there." I lie smoothly, feeling kind of bad about the fact that I'm getting so good at coming up with excuses and lies so quickly.

"Oh. That's cool." Iris smiles.

"So what can I do for you?" I ask, gesturing for her to come in and sit down on the couch as I head in that direction too.

"Well, I wanted to tell you about something that happened last night." She starts, taking a seat before continuing. "I was out with Eddie and some other friends, and Eddie had to go because of a bombing downtown. I left too and followed him, and when I got to the building that was attacked, I saw the Flash. He stood like a meter in front of me, and I'm pretty sure he smiled at me." Iris gets all giddy and can't stop grinning.

"Wow." I try to sound as shocked and amazed as possible, but it's a bit hard when I already knew all of that was going to happen. "That's incredible Iris."

"Now we both have our little stories about seeing the hero of Central City." She grins. "How's the hunt going anyway? Have you found anything useful yet?"

Yes.

"No, not really. Just a bunch of people saying they saw him run by." I say, acting disappointed.

"That's a shame." Her smile only falters slightly. "I didn't really get to see any action from where I was at the front of the building, but when he stopped in front of me and smiled, that was better than any story I've heard and any fight I could've witnessed."

Wait, Iris was at the front of that building, and I knew from watching the episode over and over that he left by running to her right. That's something to add to the map.

Oh, and the time when Mya and I saw him run past the library. I keep forgetting to add that one.

"What's Barry think of what you saw?" I ask. Iris sighs and a small frown forms on her face.

"He says I was drunk and I didn't really see anything." She says. "And he wants me to stop writing my blog."

"What? How come?" I ask, 'horrified'.

"He thinks it's putting me in danger. I just want people to see that there's hope, even after everything that's happened since STAR Labs blew a hole in itself." Iris is frustrated, and I guess that's understandable, but whenever I watch this happen on TV, I always agree with Barry. This occasion is no exception; Iris is putting herself at unnecessary risk.

"I see what you mean." I say, settling for a vague comment because I honestly don't know what else to tell her; more lies, or the truth about me siding with Barry Allen.

"I knew you would." Iris gives me a smile, but it looks weird because her expression is still firm from thinking about Barry and probably Joe as well. "I think I'll go home and put another update on my blog, maybe work on my next assignment for this stupid journalism class I'm in."

"Okay. Be safe, Iris." I can't help feeling -and probably looking- concerned about her. She nods, mumbles something incoherent as a reply, then she's shutting the door behind herself.

That was difficult for you.

"Of course it was. I used to get frustrated about her not agreeing with Barry when I was watching the show in my world, but now that I'm actually friends with her..." I trail off, knowing Robin understands. "I'm just worried, that's all."

She will not be ashed. She has a long life ahead of her.

"Good. I just hope she's careful."

You care for her deeply.

"She's my friend, and at the moment she's one of the only people I can talk to that makes me feel like I actually fit in here. I can be more of myself around her than I can with MJ, Ben, Levi and even Barry. Mya's probably the only one that I can be Elise with because she's thick enough that she doesn't notice."

That was harsh.

"I'm sorry, but I've had enough lying for one day. I needed to tell the truth... Especially since that's the first time I've complained about her in the whole four days that I've known her."

You are strong-willed and smart and you have good morals. We appreciate that.

"How do you know what good morals are? You don't have any morals at all. If something's needed, it has to be left alone. Otherwise, it can be ashed whenever it gets in the way. That is the only rule you live by."

This is true.

"Like I said before: I'm done lying for today."

Back to training?

"Only if by that you mean sleep."

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

3.3K 75 8
⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡ To believe what this story is about you need to do something first. You need to believe in the impossible. Can you do that...
87.1K 2.8K 43
Just your everyday damsel in distress. Except she goes looking for it. At a young age Bethany Stone was abducted and a mad scientist by the name of D...
40.7K 1.2K 36
In this alternate universe specifically Earth 52 Barry Allen gets over his fascination with one Iris West and instead falls in love with the beautifu...
187K 4K 80
My name is Samantha Smith and I am the fastest women alive. When I was 11 I saw my parents murdered by something impossible. I was sent to a care ho...