Chasing Casey

By LaurenJ22

#1 Mystery | #1 Thriller | #1 Young Adult Have you ever known someone more than you know yourself? Known the... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Trailer.
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen: I'm Sorry...
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
MERRY CHRISTMAS! šŸŽ„šŸŽ„šŸŽ„
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six (FINAL CHAPTER)
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty Three

16.7K 1.1K 415
By LaurenJ22

-------------------

Dedication: Tsukichan14 for the amazing cover! Thank you!

Recap:

I felt the blood drain from my face. "W-what?"

"Sadie, I have to ask," she hiccuped. "Did you have anything to do with this?"

"What? Me? How could I have done this?"

"Because..." she trailed off. "Owen told me his attacker said if he ever touched you again, they were going to kill him."

-------------------

My head was spinning.

My phone slipped from my hands, landing with a thud on the floor. I pressed my hand to my chest as I stumbled backwards. I collapsed onto the bed, struggling to draw a breath.

Did Isaac do this?

Gripping a fistful of my hair, I buried my face into my thighs, holding back a scream. I was so conflicted and confused.

Isaac and I almost slept with each other last night. Now, he has hospitalised one of my friends (if you can call him that) because he kissed me?

Is this an act of revenge on behalf of me? I never asked him to do something like this. I was mad at Owen, of course, but I didn't wish this to happen.

Hastily, I grabbed my things and made a bolt for the front door.

"Thanks for having me, gotta go!" I called over my shoulder as I basically ran past the kitchen island, where Andrea was still cooking.

I vaguely heard her reply as I fell out the door. I walked as fast as I could to my house. In a blur, I raced up to my room, grabbed my keys and ran to my car. Well, Casey's car.

The engine rumbled deeply as I edged out of my driveway. I nervously began to tap at the steering wheel, feeling a tidal wave of anxiety.

One, I didn't know what to expect going to see Owen. I was unsure of how bad his injuries were.

Two, I don't know if I even want to face him, after everything. He probably blames me for this, even though it's his fault.

After struggling to find a park, I managed to snag one at the end of the street. Shoving my keys and phone into my back pockets, I jogged towards the private hospital.

"Hi," I said breathlessly, going straight to the counter. "I'm here to see a patient, his name is Owen Pearson."

She gazed at me for a few moments, before going over to her computer. She typed in something. I watched as she tapped her manicured fingernails on the mouse.

"Are you a family member?" she questioned, pursing her lips at me.

"He's my boyfriend," I blurted.

Her gaze softened. "I'm sorry to hear about his accident," she said to me.

She rattled off the floor and room number. She had hardly finished her sentence, before I tore down the hallway.

At least I look half-convincing of being his girlfriend.

I paused, squeezing my eyes shut, memories of me being in hospital bombarding my mind. I was in and out of hospital, after Casey died. I was a complete mess. The sound, the smell... It brought unwanted memories back.

Shaking my head, as if that would clear my scattered mind, I rushed forward, trying to figure out where I was going.

I slowed to a stop as a couple stood there. A tall lady, with jet-black hair stood there, her cheeks stained with tears, her eyes puffy. An older man stood beside her, rubbing her shoulders, saying something to her I couldn't hear.

I'm assuming these are Owen's parents.

"Sadie!" Marissa exclaimed, rushing over to me and wrapping her arms around my neck. "Thank God you are here! I'm freaking out!"

I hugged her stiffly back, before stepping out of her embrace.

"I'm so sorry for questioning you," she said in a hushed tone, her eyes wide, her cheeks blotchy and red. She looked agitated as she stepped from side to side. "I-I was so scared and Owen said-"

"It's fine," I said to her.

She chewed her lip and nodded.

"Alison and Clayton, this is Sadie," she introduced.

"O-Oh Sadie," Alison stammered, turning to me. She looked just like Owen. They had the same colour hair and eyes. And the same, pointy nose. "We've heard so much about you."

I forced a smile onto my face and lied. "Likewise."

"Just terrible," she said, shaking her head. "Who would do this to my baby?"

I felt Marissa's eyes latch onto my face, but I refused to look at her. I let out a breath, shrugging my shoulders.

"There are some cruel people out there."

She just nodded, holding in another sob.

"May I go see him?" I asked.

"Sure, honey," she said, placing her hand over her heart. "He would want to see you. He's just asleep at the moment."

"Okay," I replied, before I made my way towards his room.

I got to his door. My hands enclosed around the cool, metal handle. Letting out a deep exhale, I pushed the door open.

A gasp left my lips and my heart plummeted into my stomach. I stepped inside, shutting the door behind me. My eyes burned with unshed tears as I stared at Owen, lying motionless on the hospital bed.

The blood had been cleaned up but it still looked gruesome. Owen had deep lacerations from his forehead, across his nose, across his cheeks, on the corners of his lips and his jaw. His eyes were swollen and dark with bruising. His face colouring ranged from pale white, to purple, to red, to slightly yellow.

It was horrible.

"Oh my God," I whispered, as I walked towards him. I shook my head, staring in complete horror.

I sat on the edge of the bed and reached out, touching Owen's hands. They felt rough. You could tell he had tried to fight back, but clearly, did not win.

"Who did this to you?" I whispered, running my hands over his swollen knuckles.

Surely, Isaac couldn't have done this...

Owen groaned loudly, stirring. I blinked in surprise, straightening my spine. Slowly, his eyes fluttered open. He looked confused as he stared around the room, before realisation settled on his face. He swivelled his eyes to mine.

"Hey Owen," I murmured softly.

Suddenly, he let out a high-pitched scream. He began to move madly, kicking his legs out. I leapt to my feet, staring at him, completely shocked at his behaviour.

"GET AWAY FROM ME!" he screamed as his breathing became elevated.

I really think it should be me saying that to him, considering what he did to me last night.

"Owen," I exclaimed, startled.

He let out a ragged scream again, flailing in his bed. His parents rushed in, to see what the commotion was.

"Get her out of here," he shouted, looking petrified. "Get her away!"

"Owen!" Alison exclaimed. "This is Sadie! One of your closest friends!"

I began to back out, before my back hit the wall. I watched as he looked possessed, rolling around in the bed.

"I know who she is," he snarled, his eyes resting on me. "She's the reason I'm fucking in here."

***

I ran out to the front of the hospital, my entire body shaking.

Dropping to my knees, I threw up. My throat burned and my stomach heaved. I spat onto the grass and sat back, my arms trembling.

That was terrifying. I've never seen Owen act like that.

And to accuse me of him being there? I had nothing to do with it. He was the one who assaulted me, not the other way around!

"Sadie!" Marissa called out. "Are you okay? That was intense..."

I wiped my mouth on the back of my hand and peered up at her. "I have no idea what he is talking about."

She frowned at me. "Why would he say that?"

"I don't know!" I cried out in exasperation. "I don't know if Isaac was the one who did this?"

"Why would Isaac want to hurt Owen?" she asked, a wrinkle creasing her forehead.

I rubbed my face roughly. "Last night, Owen tried to kiss me. I said no, because I obviously don't have feelings for him but he didn't want to take no for an answer." I let out a sigh. "I shouldn't have said anything to Isaac. This has just caused one giant mess."

"Owen wouldn't do that," Marissa said slowly. "Owen would never hurt you."

"He would if he was on drugs, Marissa," I said in a calm voice. "You know he wasn't himself last night."

"But still..." she trailed off, looking unconvinced. "I know Owen."

"And you think I would just make this up?" I snapped, glaring at her. "He forced himself on me, Marissa. I don't think I would go around advertising that if it wasn't true."

She took a step back from me. "I don't know who is telling the truth."

"Well clearly, you don't think it's me," I said angrily, getting to my feet. "Thanks for having my back, friend."

With that, I turned my back to her and stormed down the street, trying to remember where I parked my car.

I felt sick.

Owen accused me of being the reason why he was now lying in a hospital bed and my best friend is having trouble believing me. Oh, and my best friend's brother, who I made out with last night, could be the sole reason all of this has happened in the first place.

This was too much. All of this, was too much.

Sliding into my car, I jammed the keys into the ignition. I was still shaking. I pulled from the curb and sped to my house, breaking a series of traffic violations on the way.

After parking my car, I sat for a moment, thinking back to the mess last night caused. I should have stuck with keeping my head low and not attending parties. None of this would have happened.

With a sigh, I crawled out of the car. I turned, to shut the door and when I turned back, Isaac was there.

A scream left my lips and I jumped backwards, hitting my car.

"Sorry," he said, his voice low. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"For fuck sake!" I hissed, sending a heated glare in his direction. "Don't sneak up on people like that!"

"I needed to see you and you aren't answering my calls."

"What?" I asked, fumbling for my phone. I pulled it out. I had four missed calls from Isaac. "Oh. I didn't even feel my phone ring."

"Is this about what happened last night?" he asked.

"Which part?" I questioned, cocking my head to the side. He looked extremely sleep-deprived. His eyes were dark and his hair was sticking up in odd angles. "The part where we made out or the part where you almost killed Owen?"

His mouth opened a few times, no words coming out.

"Go on," I urged, folding my arms across my chest. "Deny it."

"I didn't..." he trailed off, not looking at me.

I pushed myself from the car and grabbed his hands. They were completely messed up. His knuckles were swollen and bruised. They were twice the size they usually would be. In all honesty, I think his hand was broken.

"You're an idiot."

"I didn't mean it to get that far," he assured me, his eyes pleading. "Seriously. I just went to teach him a lesson... He couldn't get away with what he did to you."

"So you thought trying to kill him would work?" I asked, shaking my head at him. "I think it's honourable that you wanted to defend me, but this was not the right way to go about it. Owen is seriously hurt and his family are freaking out."

He exhaled, pulling his hand from mine and raking it through his messy hair. "I didn't think."

"Clearly."

"Are the police looking for me?"

"Probably," I admitted. "I wouldn't be surprised. They probably don't know it's you, but they're looking for someone to blame."

He let out a deep sigh. "I screwed up."

"You really did."

His face crumpled in pain. "What am I going to do, Sadie?"

"Come here," I said softly.

He buried his head into my neck and I wrapped my arms around him.

I know I should feel afraid. He almost bashed Owen into a coma. But he did it to protect me. How could I turn my back on him?

I hugged him to my body tightly. He moved his head and began to leave soft kisses on the base of my neck.

"Isaac," I whispered, my eyes drifting close.

He moved his lips up my jaw, before pressing them to mine. Our mouths moved together in synchronisation. He gripped my jaw, tilting my head back, allowing his tongue access to mine.

I felt my knees begin to buckle as his kiss turned into something far hungrier and passionate than before. I let myself melt into him, kissing him back aggressively.

Suddenly, he broke the kiss, his hot breath fanning my face.

"I have to go."

"Where?" I asked huskily, not wanting him to leave.

"I'll call you," he promised, before he took off from my driveway.

He went over to a motorbike, which I hadn't even noticed was parked on the street. He kick-started it, before peeling from the curb, the tires squealing.

I traced my finger over my swollen lips.

Could I be falling for Isaac?

Shaking my head, my thoughts whirling in my mind restlessly, I wandered towards my house. As I entered, I continued to rub my finger over my pulsing lips.

"What the hell was that?" My mother asked, her voice venomous. "Please don't tell me I just saw what I think I did."

I blinked at her, as she stood there, her hands on her hips.

Well, shit.

-------------------

What do you think about Isaac being the one to hurt Owen? Were you surprised that it was him? Anyone expecting it to be Casey?

And what do you think of her mother finding out she's with Casey's brother?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.6K 1.1K 47
~"You don't- you don't need me." I stared in shock. This was the first shred of emotion he'd shown since he started avoiding me, and I had no idea ho...
1.7K 110 22
Love is such a funny thing. I was hopeless and i felt like he saved me. That was until I learned the real him and thats when i begin to run for my li...
White Lies (Book 1) By Lily W

Mystery / Thriller

10.6M 179K 44
Jesabel is a liar. When her only friend mysteriously disappears, she does what comes naturally. She keeps her truth from the world. Without warning...
62.1K 44.4K 130
Completed December 2017. Highest ranking #9 in Mystery/Thriller! Mature topics: suicide & self harm. ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ā€¢ Kieran and Lauriel are...