DisPLACEd: Beginnings

By DisPLACEd-story

An unlikely group of strangers are forced to live together in off-campus university accommodation, they thoug... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Fourteen

10 1 0
By DisPLACEd-story

Jake, Harley, and Ryan arrived at the royal dinner together. Harley cut a spectacular figure in her new dress. Her turquoise hair was up, with little white flowers that Percy had found for her poked in and around the bun. Jake and Ryan were both donned in their medieval outfits. They looked handsome, with their hair brushed neatly down. They fidgeted, pulling at the sleeves and stretching the neck holes. The pants were a little tight for their liking and the shoes squeaked and slipped on the stone floors. Two castle guards dressed in royal regalia opened the large wooden doors for them, the sound of chatter and music washing over them. Entering the dining hall was like stepping into a completely different world once again. The hall was a grand space. Stone pillars surrounded the outskirts; on each one hung a sconce shaped like a griffin, with flames billowing from their backs. The roof loomed above them. The illumination from the sconces made the stained-glass windows scatter coloured light.

At the far end of the hall, on a slightly higher platform, lay the King's dining table. King Malcolm sat in the middle. He was dressed in a loose white long sleeved shirt, a navy and green tartan sash fell from his shoulder to his waist fastened with a silver pin. For the first time, Jake saw King Malcolm with his crown. It was a plain golden circlet with four arches that met in the middle and a globe surmounted on top. Jake was surprised by the simplicity of the piece.

On King Malcolm's left was Sir Richal, on his right was an empty chair. Women and men from his counsel occupied the remaining seats. They were all dressed in exquisite colours and shrouded with gold.

Down on the hall's main floor, two long tables sat on opposite sides of the room, facing one another. The tables were decorated with plates fashioned from horn, silver chalices, wrought iron forks and knives, and tall candles that had been burning for so long that the wax had dripped down the stem and onto the table.

In the corner, a band of four were playing wooden flutes, mandores, and tambour drums. The melody was soft and pretty. Some of the distinguished guests swayed back and forth to the tune.

King Malcolm spotted Jake, and beckoned him over, patting the empty seat next to him.

Jake turned to Ryan and Harley, the latter giving him an impressed look. "You've made a real impact on this King, haven't you?"

"Yeah, I don't know why." Jake shrugged.

"I do." Harley smiled warmly.

Jake's heart skipped a beat.

"You better not keep him waiting." Harley waved him off.

Jake walked over to Malcolm and sat in the seat the King had saved for him.

The night was in full swing. Corbin had snared Ryan from Harley, leaving her by the side of the room. She watched the patrons dance in perfectly choreographed movements. Sir Haviland emerged from the crowd, appearing at Harley's side. She looked up at him and smiled a polite acknowledgement before returning her gaze to the dancers.

Sir Haviland leaned in close, his lips almost grazing Harley's ear. "I see you received my gift." He motioned towards the dress.

Harley sprung back from him, unable to suppress a squeal of delight. "You gave me this?"

"Yes my lady." Sir Haviland looked her up and down.

"Thank you. It's beautiful," Harley said. "But why?"

"A beautiful girl needs a beautiful dress," Haviland said.

She blushed. "I'm Harley." She put her hand out. Haviland took it tenderly and kissed the back of it. Harley was awed by the man's chivalry; it didn't hurt that he was extremely handsome. His blond hair flowed to his shoulders and his jawline looked like it was made of steel.

"I know," Haviland said.

"How do you know?" Harley chuckled.

"I saw you the other night dancing at the tavern. You took my breath away."

"Oh." Harley grinned. "And who might you be?"

"My name is Sir Haviland." He looked around them. "Where is your betrothed?"

"My what?" Harley asked, confused.

"Your betrothed, Prince David," Haviland said.

"Oh, we're not..." Harley began. "He's not my...betrothed."

Haviland grinned a sly smile. "In that case, would you like to dance?"

"Of course."

Haviland bowed and offered Harley his hand. With a giggle, she curtsied before taking it. He twirled her out onto the dance floor before bringing her in closer and placing his hand on her lower back. They stood now inches from one another. For a moment, Harley struggled to grasp the concept that she was dancing with a man who in her lifetime was long dead.

After what felt like hours, the musicians took a break and dinner was announced.

"Join me for the feast," Haviland said, still clutching onto her even though the other dancers had dispersed.

Harley searched the crowds for Ryan. She didn't want to leave him to eat alone. Haviland grabbed her chin and roughly pulled her eyes back to his. Harley was shocked by the sudden hostility from the charming man she had danced the night away with.

"Join me," Haviland said through grit teeth, still gripping onto her chin. Too shocked to say anything, Harley nodded. Haviland's grimace turned to a smile that no longer looked right on him. He took her by the hand and escorted her back to his table.

As the people took their seats, the King rose to address his guests. "My lairds, my ladies, my friends; I would like to thank ye all for joining me tonight. In light of recent counsel I would like to make an announcement. While we are fortunate enough to enjoy the food, the wine, and the entertainment of this year's tourney, there are people suffering outside our castle walls. In light of this, I will be donating the tourney's champion purse to the poor."

Jake smiled at the King, knowing that his influence had begun to make the man a better and just ruler. The knight's roared in dismay. King Malcolm turned red with rage and a slight hint of embarrassment."I am yer King. My word is final." His voice boomed throughout the hall. "Now shut yer mouths and enjoy the food I so generously provided ye."

"That man is a damn fool," Haviland said to Harley and his comrades around the dinner table.

"I heard he's taking his orders from the child sitting next to him," one man sneered.

"He's a strange king. He is not fit to rule this land," another man added.

"I think he has a kind heart," Harley said quietly.

The three men whipped their glares towards her. She could feel her cheeks turning hot with fear.

Haviland leaned in closer to Harley, his eyes looked hard and evil. "A kind heart gets you killed."

As the King retook his seat, Jake turned to him. "I see you're beginning to act upon what we spoke about the other night."

"Indeed, my friend," King Malcolm said, smiling and sipping from his jewel-encrusted goblet. "So tell me; what are some of ye ideas to help our less fortunate citizens?"

Jake shifted in his seat to face the King, forgetting about his meal. "In my personal opinion, to lift the people out of poverty they need to be given a steady wage. It could be a gift or jobs throughout the city, or even within the castle walls. That way they can afford suitable housing, food, and clothing."

Jake noticed Sir Richal over the King's shoulder, unmistakably trying to listen-in. It made him feel uneasy but he continued anyway. "The next thing I would suggest is schooling. For boys and girls. Knowledge is power."

"Knowledge is power," Malcolm repeated the unknown phrase.

Jake looked out over the throng of people, spotting Harley's turquoise hair among a sea of brown and blonde. "Um yes, knowledge. Schooling..." Jake tried to maintain his train of thought. He struggled to tear his eyes from her. She sat with Haviland, the Knight leaning awfully close. Jake's eyes searched for Ryan. Why wasn't he with her? Jake brought his eyes back to Harley. He squirmed in his seat, his actions mirrored by his friend. Jake saw Harley rise to her feet, disgust set heavily on her face. She turned to walk away but Haviland reached out and clutched onto her wrist. Jake rose in an instant, his fists balled at his sides. King Malcolm followed Jake's distracted gaze where he saw Harley struggle under Haviland's grip. He was hurting her and Jake couldn't contain his silence any longer.

"Let go of her!" Jake yelled across the room.

Haviland turned his head towards Jake, his lip curled into a snarl. He tightened his grip on Harley's wrist. Harley tried to wrench her hand away with no luck.

"I said-" Jake began.

"Sir Haviland, release that poor lass' hand or I will ensure ye no longer have yours." King Malcolm spoke, dismissing Haviland with a wave of his hand.

The Knight stared down the King, eventually letting go of Harley. She stumbled back, almost falling over her chair, and rushed towards the exit. Jake turned to the King, lost for words but knowing he needed to go after his friend.

"Go," King Malcolm said with a gentle nod.

Jake left without another word. He burst out the dining hall's doors as Harley rushed around the corner. He took off after her, catching her in the middle of a dark street. "Harley," he said, while slowing down to a walk.

She sighed in relief when she saw it was him and stopped. She sucked back a quivered breath. In the light of the full moon, Jake could see tears streaming down her face. He placed his hands on either side of her shoulders. She relaxed under his touch and clasped her hand around one of his.

"Are you okay?" It was a silly question, but it was all he had.

Harley sniffled and wiped away her tears. "I need to get out of this dress." She turned and continued down the dark alleyway. Jake followed protectively behind.

It took quite a while for Aadita to reach Eugene's house. She may not have been a registered physician yet, but she could - and would - do everything in her power to help the ill boy. The flicker of the fire could be seen through the window. She knocked quietly on the door, not wanting to disturb the boy.

Eugene answered, "I'm glad ye're here." He hurried her inside.

The room was warmer than she expected. The child's mother, Mary, was asleep in a worn-out chair near the fireplace, cradling her son, Henry. Aadita rushed over. The boy was asleep but restless, whimpering in his slumber. He recoiled when she placed her hand on his forehead. She frowned, knowing her hands would feel like ice on his burning skin. It was not a good sign.

Mary's eyes fluttered open and she looked relieved to see Aadita. She shook her head, trying to shake off her drowsiness.

"How long has he been like this?" Aadita asked.

"A few hours. It seems ta 'ave gotten worse."

Henry looked weak and was thin - the fact that he was malnourished did not help. He stirred and began to cry. Mary hugged him and attempted to calm him down.

Eugene looked worried. He stood close enough to help, but stayed out of the way. "We could bleed the bairn."

"Bleed him?" Aadita asked, confused and worried by the term of phrase.

"Aya to cure the fever. Ya make a nick in the wee bairn's arm and let the bad blood out."

Aadita was horrified, but spoke calmly and politely. "Thank you for the suggestion Eugene, but I don't think that's the best cure for this boy. Do you have some cool water and a rag? And perhaps some food?"

"There is already a pot of boiling water over the fireplace for cooking. I could make some soup. There's a running stream out the back, if ye need cold water." 

Eugene fetched a wooden pail for Aadita. She rushed out into the cool, dark night. She stood hopelessly for a moment as the door swung shut behind her, searching the darkness for any sense of direction. In the distance to the back of the house she could hear the trickling of running water. Aadita stumbled over the uneven ground towards the sound. She knew she had found it when her boots were filled with icy water. Kneeling down, she scooped the water into the pail and headed back for the house. The lovely aroma of Eugene's cooking hit her the moment she burst through the door. He looked to her and pointed to a dark metal tub in the corner of his home. She moved to the tub and emptied the bucket, before fleeting into the night once again.

The boy's cries grew louder and more distressed. 

Mary yelled out to Aadita. "He keeps clutching his head - I think it aches."

"Just keep trying to soothe him." Aadita nodded. "What I need you to do is bring him over to the tub. To cool the fever, the best thing for him is to be submerged in the cold bath."

Mary stood, clutching Henry to her chest, a look of concern as she stared at the dark water, "He needs to be in there?"

"Yes, it's the only way to get his temperature down quickly."

Mary nodded. With a sigh of relief, Aadita begun to remove her jacket, shoes and pants until she stood in only her long cotton shirt and underwear. Without any explanation Aadita stepped into the bath, sucking in a deep breath as she touched the ice-cold water. Gradually she lowered herself into the water. She motioned for Mary to hand her the baby. Henry wailed as his tiny body touched the water. Aadita moved him to her chest, lying him on his back. His screams were heart wrenching but it was for his own good.

After what felt like an eternity, Henry's cries eased. An hour passed and Aadita's eyes began to feel heavy. She felt a hand on her shoulder.

Mary was talking to her animatedly. "He's shivering!"

Aadita could see the little boys teeth chattering.

"It's OK. It's just the fever breaking." She tried to give a reassuring smile.

The boy improved as each hour passed, until he finally fell asleep. Mary watched from the side of the tub, gently smiling as she watched her son's pain drift away.

Aadita, struggling to stay awake, looked to Eugene. "How is the soup coming along?"

In answer to her question, Eugene scooped the contents of the pot into three bowls and juggled them as he walked over to the tub. Aadita looked to Henry; the sleeping boys condition had improved somewhat - the colour was returning to his cheeks and he was no longer burning a fever. Aadita steadied her arm under Henry and stood out of the bath. He stirred awake with a little whine, but settled as soon as he was in a blanket back in his mother's arms. Eugene handed Aadita and Mary a bowl of soup. Aadita wrapped a warm blanket around herself.

"I haven't seen vegetables this good in years," Mary said. "All we get are scraps and odds and ends that the farmers can't sell."

Aadita shivered at the thought. "That's terrible. It must be hard to try and feed your family properly."

"Aye." She looked to Henry a look of guilt on her face.

Eugene took a stool and sat in front of Mary and the baby. He smiled and mimicked horses galloping as he edged the spoon closer to Henry's mouth. The boy turned his head away.
"You must eat," his mother said, worry in her words.

After some more prompting, he began to take small spoonfuls at a time.

Aadita woke with a start; a rooster crowing loudly outside the door. The fire had burned down to embers and sunlight was just beginning to fill the room. Eugene was sleeping soundly on the floor near the fireplace and the woman was snoring slightly, her son still sound asleep in her arms. Colour had returned to his face. 

Aadita stretched in the chair she had fallen asleep in. She smiled to herself. It was the first time she'd helped treat someone's sickness, and she was grateful it had worked.

The woman stirred as Aadita rose to leave. She looked at her son, then whispered a 'thank you' to Aadita, gratitude shining in her eyes.

"You're very welcome. Stay here and rest as long as you can. I will return after I've seen my friends." Aadita smiled at her and left.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave your comments below and check out our official website to find out how you can contribute to this revolutionary new collaborative story series!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

387K 14.2K 23
Jilted by her fiancé, Marissa is done with men until fate steps in and she finds that Craig Langston may be more man than she can resist. Marissa is...
162 1 23
Just as the group were settling into the idea that the time-shift was a one-off, they are thrown back to 1860's America. They are plagued with illnes...
12.1K 808 10
Jim was gone and his mates have to keep going. Dan and Nang are stepping into their roles in the tribe as well as helping Jim's mates. The attack o...
8.2K 827 48
Evie is haunted by her past, and so tangled up with her best friend and room mate she isn't even sure she remembers how to be an independent person a...