Chapter Twenty-One

"...But I don't wanna leave it," Ryan grumbled.

They were all packed, only taking the bare essentials: a few extra clothes, some food, some wine, and water.

"Why would you want to take it?" Jake asked Ryan, who stood clasping his sword.

"It might be a good idea," Reb said.

"Exactly!" Ryan exclaimed, happy that at least one of them was on his side.

"We don't know where we're going or what we're doing; it might be helpful to have a weapon if we need to defend ourselves."

"Fine," Eric sighed. "You can keep the sword."

Ryan celebrated silently with a fist pump. The group looked around the room one last time.

"Are you guys ready?" Jake called from near the tent's exit.

"Coming," Aadita said, moving to him.

Harley picked up her things. She smiled at Percy and he smiled warmly back.

"Good luck, milady." Percy bowed.

Harley flung her arms around his neck and embraced him tightly. "Goodbye, Percy."

He was stunned by the level of affection from the sweet girl. He blushed, speechless, as he watched her hurry to catch up to her friends.

Several men worked together to take down the tournament tents. The fields had previously been busy with the hustle and bustle of knights and tournament-goers; now they were relatively empty. Only the collapsed tents and a few of the Noble Knight parties remained.

The group stood in the middle of the field, looking from left to right, unsure where to go.

"Why don't we just head back to the castle?" Ryan asked.

"Because now the tournament is over they'll be expecting you to run home to father dearest in France." Jake rolled his eyes.

"We could go back to Eugene's house maybe?" Aadita suggested. "At least for the night."

"I don't think we have much of a choice." Reb shrugged.

The group nodded in agreement and headed for the castle's gates. Harley strolled next to Jake. They smiled at one another and continued to follow the rest of their friends.

"Did you like the necklace I bought you?" Jake noticed she wasn't wearing it. Doubtful thoughts rushed through his head. Maybe it had been too big of a move. Maybe she didn't like it as much as he had thought she would.

"The necklace was from you?" Harley's eyes went wide with shock.

Jake's heart missed a beat and he began to stammer. "Well...yeah...I just...I just saw how much you liked it and wanted you to have it."

"Jake!" She latched onto his arm. "I left it back at the tent, I thought it was from..."

The others had come to a stop when they had heard the commotion. Harley looked to the others and back to Jake.

"I need to go back and get it." Harley began to run back in the direction they had come.

"Do you want us to come with you?" Jake yelled after her.

"No, I'll be two seconds. Just wait here for me."

The group stood huddled in the middle of the path.

Eric shifted awkwardly in the silence. "Do you think we're stuck here?" He asked, unsure of whether he wanted to hear the answer.

"I don't know," Reb said softly.

Jake stood with his arms crossed and shoulders hunched. "We can't just live our lives out here. We don't belong."

"It's not like we have any say in the matter," Aadita said.

"I'm never going to see my family again," Eric said quietly. His eyes fell to the floor, a lump rising in his throat.

"None of us will," Reb lamented.

"What if they think we're dead?" Ryan exclaimed. "It would kill my mum."

The group fell silent. No one knew what to say. They stood in a quiet huddle, sadness radiating throughout the group. Eric plonked himself down on the ground, legs crossed and head in hands. Aadita joined him, placing a hand on his back, sharing his pain. Ryan paced as a thousand thoughts ran through his mind. Jake stared absentmindedly into the emptying field. Reb stepped away from her friends, wanting to hide her worry and hurt.

"If we got here surely we can get back," Eric reasoned, breaking the long silence.

"Maybe there's a button or a switch we missed in the barn," Reb suggested. "Maybe we have to press it to get back home?"

"Yeah and maybe you can click your ruby slippers together three times and repeat 'there's no place like home'," Ryan spat.

Reb glared at him, fists clenched at her side.

"Shouldn't Harley be back by now?" The group stopped and turned to Jake. "She's been gone for a while."

"Maybe we should head back and check on her," Eric suggested.

They all agreed and headed back to the tournament tent.

They rounded the corner and saw their tent still intact. Their relief was shattered by a scream.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leave your comments below and check out our official website to find out how you can contribute to this revolutionary new collaborative story series!