Sickly, Sweet - Book One

נכתב על ידי HannahPatrixia

~ Complete~ You can spend decades trying to find your purpose and identity and never find it. I didn't know w... עוד

Sickly, Sweet
Ch. 1 - Winter Dance
Ch. 2 - Lovebites
Ch. 3 - Double Agent
Ch. 4 - Dead End
Ch. 5 - Chained
Ch. 6 - A Drop Of Sun
Ch. 7 - Monsters
Ch. 8 - Impossible
Ch. 9 - Catch Me If You Can
Ch. 10 - Falling
Ch. 11 - Dances With Bats
Ch. 12 - Sea of Glass
Ch. 13 - Can You Feel My Heart?
Ch. 14 - A Deals A Deal
Ch. 15 - Temptations
Ch. 16 - The Upper Hand
Ch. 17 - Innocent Victims
Ch. 18 - Barely Human
Ch. 19 - Half-Alive
Ch. 20 - Written in Bone
Ch. 21 - Reborn
Ch. 22 - Heartless
Ch. 23 - Breathless
Ch. 24 - So Close But Still So Far
Ch. 25 - The Truth
Ch. 27 - Raise the Dead
Ch. 28 - Starving
Ch. 29 - Typical
Ch. 30 - Captive
Ch. 31 - Bound
Ch. 32 - Lust
Ch. 33 - Tick Tock
Ch. 34 - Never Leave
Ch. 35 - Power
Ch. 36 - Angels and Demons
Ch. 37 - Kitten
Ch. 38 - Fire
Ch. 39 - Life and Death
Ch. 40 - Secrets
Ch. 41 - Thick
Authors Note + Cover Sneak Peek ;)
Ch. 42 - The Faces of War
Ch. 43 - Dare
Ch. 44 - Hard To Believe
Ch. 45 - Revival
Ch. 46 - It's Not Over
Bittersweet - Teaser
RATH FANS(ANNOUNCEMENT)

Ch. 26 - Metamorphosis

29.2K 1.2K 161
נכתב על ידי HannahPatrixia

I'm sorry. To say I'm busy is an understatement.

***

'I've seen that look in your eyes, It makes go blind.

Cut me deep, the secrets and lies, Storm in the quiet.

Feel the fury closing in, all resistance wearing thin.'
- Madness by Ruelle

***

Third person POV

Valentine could swear that his heart beat at least once, even if it didn't, it certainly felt like it- one that feels like a hard and thunderous drum against his own chest. His face, pained at the sight of Saphira bleeding to death, also holds a substantial amount of shock as he watches his clone dance around his fallen mate with a dagger in his hand.

The false Valentine gives a sinister smile as the true vampire prince quickly tries to grasp the current situation. Imitation, of course, is a rare power and little do creatures know of its existence. Whoever this is that have concealed it well - an ability like that could not have been overlooked by the council or the people in it - otherwise it would have been known.

A feral growl escapes from his mouth but his opponent doesn't seem the least bit afraid. Valentine struts forward and the deceiving chameleon stays in his place, waiting, taunting. Eyes flick down toward the ground - Saphira doesn't have much time and they are wasting this precious time waltzing.

Valentine spots a spear not too far away and he grabs it without hesitation. If he's going to kill this vampire his head will be the newest ornament in this melancholy castle - a nice head on a stick.

"I'm pretty sure that whoever commissioned you to do this informed you that you won't be leaving alive, am I right?"

The morphing vampire only laughs. It's both a awe and a shock seeing his own body confront him and talk. "Fascinating, isn't it?" His false self speaks.

Valentine narrows his eyes before speeding over to his mirrored self, taking a jab at his body with the spear. The morpher's eyes quickly flashes a bright blue hue as he dodges the attack and his hair slowly turns a slick and clean blonde. The vampire has now turned into Astor, his dearest and oldest friend. Valentine almost chokes as he is taken aback. "Why, old friend, cat got your tongue?"

He growls. Astor would never. "Changing into someone else isn't going to get you out of this," Valentine angrily says.

The vampire smiles and paces, just like Astor. Valentine would have believed but his friend is nothing like this. Astor is like a brother, even closer to him than his own.

"Oh, yeah?" His eyes flash again, but this time a bright green. "How about now?"

Once again, the morpher changes. Valentine sees himself staring into the frigid eyes of the King. It's at that moment that everything stops, just enough for him to re-evaluate his plan. This definitely changes a lot of things.

Thinking he's so clever, the copycat bends down to examine Saphira's state. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. I don't think she has much time." He even sounds like the people he's imitating and it is throwing Valentine into the deep end.

"Stay away from her," Valentine growls, ready to lunge at the imitator. With his powers though, he has an advantage. Not many people know what Valentine can really do, what he can do with his mind.

"If you want to save her you need to stop me first," he straightens his body and starts to dance in a fluid way, almost feminine. He twirls around the room and around Saphira, like a poised ballerina. First his cuffs and then his pants turns a vivid blue, the more the vampire spins and glides the more his body slims and shortens. Valentine's eyebrows crease together in confusion and frustration as the vampire slowly and gracefully turns into Amaryllis. "But how can you, when I can take upon any appearance I so please?"

"Who are you?" He mutters between his teeth. Valentine is keeping a rather refined and composed stature, despite the fact that this foolish vampire is testing what's left of the patience in his body.

The vampire lunges at Valentine and points the dagger at his neck, quickly morphing into Valentine again. The blade, still stained with Saphira's blood, hits his neck with force, almost slicing it open. If Valentine weren't so strong his head would be rolling on the floor not the intruders.

There's a power when you see your own reflection show you something you need to see or learn, like an epiphany one receives when they watch themselves move in a mirror. The impact is even enough to change you. There is an even stronger power when you see your own body try to kill you. Much like anyone else would be in this situation, Valentine is struck with an awful sense of self-doubt.

Watching his clone attempt to slice his neck renders him immobile and he growls loudly, trying his hardest to push him off. Valentine clears his mind and focuses on something else other than his own eyes staring right into his. With his powers, he creates a force field between them that flings the pretender across the room. "You can imitate anyone, their appearance and their voice, but you cannot imitate their powers."

"I don't need their powers," the vile man spits.

Valentine straightens himself and levitates the vampire in the air. "Tell me that after you're dead." Valentine gives a quick gesture with his hand and weapons from the walls start floating swiftly towards the scared imitator.

When the blades are only inches from him, he opens his mouth to speak. "Wait! Stop, If I tell you who I am, will you spare my life?"

Valentine laughs and walks toward his levitating victim. "Don't push your luck."

"You're a hard man to kill, Valentine," the copycat is calm as the weapons are pressed right against his skin. He makes one final transformation, an appearance that is not familiar to Valentine. "It's a shame you don't know who is out to kill you, they could be right under your nose."

"I'll take my chances."

"You royals are always so haughty and proud. You'd rather watch your family die than actually fix the problem. First, Cassandra and now your girlfriend." The blades have punctured his skin but Valentine halts them. "I know who poisoned your sister and it wasn't Datura."

His speech is enough to make Valentine ardently make all of the objects in the room rattle and drop, making loud thuds against the walls and floor, including his victim. Valentine picks him up by his shirt and extends his fangs. It is then that a pair of guards rush in, accompanied by Amaryllis. Gasps fill the room.

"Valentine." His name is called but he ignores, letting them stand by to watch the quarrel between two powerful vampires.

"I will spare your life just this once. You tell me who sent you and why, understood?" The intruder nods quickly and Valentine let's him fall limply to the floor. "You'll stay in the dungeon until further notice."

With a menacing scowl, Valentine shoves the nameless vampire into the awaiting guards. "Careful with this one, he transfigures at will. Keep him in the dungeon."

He gives him a hard stare, silently contemplating on the methods he will use for torture, but it changes when his eyes fall on a kneeling Ari.

Her dress which always seems to flow without air has fallen around Saphira, blanketing her in midnight sheer.

"She's lost a lot of blood," the white haired witch says, making Valentine's skin ruffle with anxiety.

"Will she make it?"

"Of course, she's a child of necromancy, she cannot die..." She pauses.

Valentine catches on and probes with, "however?"

Amaryllis isn't usually one to give details, especially, of what is to happen. She knows much but for the good of mankind and free will, she keeps it to herself. She often let's it go unless she knows it will benefit those that will hear it. She inhales and brushes a strand of hair from Saphira's face.

"Necromancy is a rare and powerful gift," she explains. "My sister made sure to study the dark arts so she can raise the dead. It's a bizarre and beautiful talent, but like many things you can turn it on and off."

"What do you mean?"

"Datura raised both Scarlett and Lucian from the dead and by doing do, she can easily take them back."

Panic rises from his stomach and into his throat. "How do I make sure Datura won't take her life back?"

"You need to turn her into a full vampire."

Valentine stares back at her with a large amount of doubt. "Is that even possible?"

Ari just returns his expression with a look of her own. Of all people, he should know that she would never ask him to do anything that wasn't possible. "Have you forgotten your history? Your ancestors were children of necromancy."

"Oh, yes, how foolish of me."

She nods politely, refraining from actually speaking her mind. The two have been good friends for quite some time and their relationship equals to that of siblings, so it's only instinct that she reply with a cocky remark. Ari won't say, but she knows how affected Valentine is with all that is happening. Vampire or not, he still has a emotions, like any other being.

"Let's get her to the infirmary," she points down at the ill looking woman.

Valentine follows her command and picks Saphira up, who is colder than ice. The open wound on her side has not closed and un-dead or not, Valentine feared for her life. He just simply cannot keep losing the same woman.

Even with death on her lips, she is as beautiful as the day he first laid eyes on her. Saphira did not move, but Valentine can feel her soul burn within.

The three glided through the house quickly and as they enter the infirmary, eyes dart to the vampire prince and the frail woman in his arms. There isn't much activity in the castle grounds and limited humans inhabit it, therefore, supplies are limited. The doctor and nurse, both stand in fascination as they see Saphira being placed on a gurney. It isn't because she's suffering, no, but because they have not treated a single body in months.

The doctor, who is a young man in a light blue button up shirt and khaki pants, smells the air. With the presence of an injured one, there is no need for introductions, formality or questions. "Loss of blood?" He instantly knows the reason for their visit. "Stab wound," he states.

"I didn't know you were still here, James," Valentine comments. His voice is borderline angry and sorrowful. You really cannot blame the poor old vampire; he's surrounded by death and violence - enough to contend with Lucifer himself.

The doctor inhales deeply and approaches Saphira's still body to examine her. "Well, I like what I do and your sister refuses to relieve me."

Valentine watches, eagerly, as the doctor gently lifts Saphira's clothing to expose the wound. The in-house physician is skilled in the anatomy of all creatures; it is his passion and talent, like a da Vinci of medicine. Having him there eases Valentine's mind - there are only a few people in the vampire world that can do what he can.

"Carmen, I need a thousand cc of blood - Class A," James, calls out to his assistant and for moment she is stunned.

"Class A, doctor?" She asks again, they only ever use Class A on royals.

He pushes Saphira's sleeve up to check her veins and his eyes quickly flick over to his assistant. "Quickly, Carmen, no time for questions."

"Right, sorry." Carmen bites her lip, trying to refrain from saying something else she would regret later on. Usually, she is a very charming young woman, but when there are others around she tends to freeze. Carmen is a young vampire, barely a fledgling. She speeds over to an encased stock of blood and takes two bags of the richest, most pure blood in their stock.

"James, there's something you must know about Saphira," Ari speaks to help ease the tension that unintentionally entered the atmosphere; she also hoped it would calm everyone. This is what Amaryllis is very good at, to keep emotions and feelings at bay.

He scrambles around Saphira, attaching needles and tubes into her to pump the blood faster into her body. "She's neither human nor vampire," he states and Ari nods.

"Yes, she's a darkling. So, if I'm correct, do we not need to drain her body of all blood for her to turn into a vampire?"

James abruptly stops what he is doing and gazes in confusion, the perplexity in his eyes is very evident. "That ritual hasn't been practiced in centuries."

Valentine steps forward and faces Ari with a scowl on his face. He didn't agree to this at all. "No, we are not draining her."

The doctor raises an eyebrow and his eyes travel between Valentine and Ari, he opens his mouth to speak. "But, we need a witch to complete the change, won't we?"

"Why do you think I'm here?"

The doctor runs his hands through his golden hair and smirks at her. "Oh, I didn't know you practiced dark arts?"

"You'd be surprised, James," she muses.

He sets down the paraphernalia. "I do love breaking the rules." The tall vampire turns around to open a cabinet full of supplies and medical instruments. His hands work quickly, taking needles, tubes and empty bags from the shelves and handing them to Carmen, who looked quite bewildered.

Valentine's mouth begins to dry as soon as he sees Saphira's blood empty into bags. The life has disappeared from her lips and he instantly regrets ever agreeing with the procedure - it has not been done since the ancients because of the lack of need to turn a corpse into a vampire. The doctor, who has quickly finished his work, turns to Valentine, to calm his nerves.

"She'll be alright, you can trust me."

The vampire Prince nods stiffly and says, "I know."

"Let's get a drink," James offers with a gesture of his head. "We have a lot to catch up on."

"Indeed."

The two vampires, leave Ari and Carmen to watch over the lifeless darkling, giving them knowing glances before exiting the room. Amaryllis, who seemed mentally occupied, gives Carmen a feeble smile, the poor nurse has been scared out of her wits. Although a vampire, she has no knowledge of their origin or even story of her masters, all she knows is that she needs blood to survive and she is neither living nor dead. Ari often wishes she was just like the young woman - innocent and unaffiliated. All truth and sense rests on her very tired shoulders.

The two men were good friends once - James was formerly an officer in the royal army, but when the wars ended, he was redistributed to be the resident Physician. He has a close history and relationship with the Royal family.

They slowly walk out and head toward a waiting area, one that is in a brighter section of the castle. This is James' favorite spot within the old and dim walls, unlike other vampires, he sought light and open space, it's his coping mechanism. As a doctor, he swore never to take another life therefore he makes sure to fill his mind with light.

Aside from carpet being added on the floors, plump white couches and wooden furniture were added to give the space a comfortable and homey ambience. In a corner sits a table with various bottles of strong drinks, enough to entertain a room full of guests.

"What brings you back to the castle, old friend?" James takes scotch and pours it into two glasses.

"Well, as you may have heard, Datura and Lucian have returned."

"Datura, I've heard." He pauses to take a sip of his drink. "Lucian, no. Not much news travels to me, the King has no regards for me. I'm only here because Cassandra."

Valentine leans against the wall with the drink in his hand and he grins widely. "I'm not surprised, he could probably see right through you."

James grimaces and takes a shot of the bitter liquid. "Ah, I hope not."

"How is she?"

"No improvement - her body is rejecting the medicine we're giving her. Only time will tell if she'll ever recover." The words coming from his mouth taste bitter - he wishes he could declare the opposite.

The veins in Valentine's neck tighten. "There must be something we can do. The Kingdom will be run to the ground without her.

The doctor seems uneasy in providing no answer. He inhales deeply and sets his empty glass down on a coffee table. "I've tried everything, even contacted Elriel's best apothecaries - I'm still awaiting a response. Not having a Crimson Seer is a terrible disadvantage."

"You can thank Datura for that - King Acarius pulled out all covens from every kingdom because of her. It ripped the underworld apart. Fortunately the council is capable of understanding otherwise we'll still be a war." Valentine explains. He ows a debt to the council for knowing what to do and not bringing others down because of one dysfunctional creature.

James, due to his inclined worry and concern, starts to pace across the floor in an organized and compulsive pattern. With him, each step must be perfectly aligned and spaced, it's a behaviour he developed during the war - it's only one of the few things he has control of.

The two vampires sit in comfortable silence as their thoughts run wildly. Many faces, voices and memories run through the former soldiers mind but only one stands out from the rest.

"How is Lucian alive?" He breaks the silence that was slowly eating away at his subconscious.

Valentine straightens himself up. "Same way Scarlett - Saphira - is alive. Necromancy."

James' eyes widen and his mouth falls open in shock. "That means he can't die."

"Preci-" Valentine starts to say, but is heavily interrupted when the doors burst open and rattle aggressively.

They halt a few feet from the vampire Prince and bow before him. "Pardon the intrusion, your Highness." Even after years as a normal citizen, they still have the same respect for him and he returns the regard with a small nod. As a Prince and former King, he has retained the traits and characteristics even after stepping down from the throne.

"Gentlemen, what seems to be the emergency?"

"The shifter, sire, he has escaped."

***

SMH. LOL.

המשך קריאה

You'll Also Like

299 9 21
When a normal girl is in the wrong place at the wrong time, her life will change forever. When a dangerous man starts to spiral out of control he ha...
544K 28.9K 50
There is a darkness that lurks inside of me. The evil that runs through my veins is a constant reminder of the ruthless killer I once was. But someh...
400 133 32
She embodies all that is pure, fair, and modern. He embodies the depths of darkness, corruption, and ancient wisdom. What unfolds when their destinie...
90K 3.7K 74
Act right or get left.