Metanoia - Camren

By seriousvanity

Karla Cabello is the only heiress of the Cabello-Estrabao family and was bound to marry someone around or abo... More

Chapter One: A Strange Flower That Blooms In Between Seasons
Chapter Three: An Uncertain Distant Future
Chapter Four: In Another Life
Chapter Five: Maybe I Wished Our Love Apart

Chapter Two: Discovered You Like A Miracle

2.2K 119 64
By seriousvanity

Jan 9th, 2017 - Miami, Florida

Lauren sat on her new bed before she lied down and hugged the pillow next to her. It took six hours before they reached Miami and the old town where her grandmother grew up as a teenager. Apparently, according to Laura this is the place where she met Lauren's other grandmother, Lucille. Lauren was ten-years-old when her abuela passed away, but up until now her memories brings a smile to Lauren's face.

"Grandma, how much do you love me?" Lauren questioned the ailing elder woman beside her.

"I love you a lot, my sweetest Lauren." She answered with a smile before she gently touched Lauren's cheeks.

Lauren smiled back, if it weren't her parents or siblings that could make her smile it would be her grandmothers. She snuggled next to Lucille, her arms wrapped lightly around the old woman's waist, while her abuela brushed her hair softly. There was a faint hum of what sounds like the song her abuela always used to calm the child. Lauren's grandmother once had a very beautiful voice, she still has, but her age and deteriorating state affected that once harmonic voice she captured Lauren with.

"How much do you love grandmama?" The young girl questioned out of the blue.

Another smile appeared across Lucille's face, she continued to brush her granddaughter's hair while she proudly states, "I've never loved someone like I love your grandmama sweetling. She was the one who gave light in my once dark life."

"Dark life?" Lauren asked innocently, clearly wanting to know what her grandmother meant by that.

"Abuela did a very bad thing back when I was younger... but, your grandmama helped me and we ended up together. No matter how tough it all was."

Lauren would always remember those times when she stayed up at night listening to her abuela's stories of how she met her grandmama. It would just lighten up anything troubling Lauren's mind back then, she found comfort in the stories of her grandmothers. She enjoyed listening to her abuela sing a song for her to go to sleep to. Only Lucille could put a young Lauren to sleep back then.

There was a faint knock on Lauren's door, it gently opened with Laura cautiously peeking through and smiling at her granddaughter. She walked in carrying a tray with her, there were two cups and a medium sized book placed on the tray.

"Brought you a hot chocolate and your abuela's photo album." Laura carefully placed the tray at the coffee table, before she handed the cup of hot chocolate to Lauren. "I know you're tired, you better rest and I hope we can talk tomorrow." Laura coaxed Lauren, she brushed her hair gently behind her ear before she took the other cup and left the room.

Lauren sighed, she suddenly remembered how her father would always make hot chocolate for her when she was younger. There it was again, the pain and the agony that shook her heart as if to tear it apart all over again. She could feel a sharp sting and it was only then that she realised what she had done. Lauren placed the hot cup down the desk nearby her bed before she licked her lips repeatedly.

After Lauren cooled down her lips she decided to stretch her feet and move around her new bedroom. She analysed the old paintings and decorations on the wall. There was a painting of a beautiful lake that was almost so real that you could mistake it as a digitally printed work, but the stroke of the brush was present and indeed visible. It's quite odd for Lauren because this lake seem so familiar to her, almost too familiar that she could just remember where she might've seen it.

"There are no fishes." The frustrated young girl grumbled, as she looked back at her grandmama.

"Because you have to be patient Lauren, you have to call them, make them feel as if you are not a threat, but a friend." Laura gently grabbed hold of Lauren's hands and the fishing rod. "Just like this..." She manoeuvred Lauren's hands skilfully and patiently waited. Moments later she pulled the fishing rod upwards, a fish was caught dangling on the hook as it flailed and squirmed.

"I got one! I got one!" Lauren screamed in delight, she stared at the fish as it wiggled on the hook. "Look, grandmama! We got one!" She added with a bright smile.

"Well done, sweetie. Now, you know what to do." Laura smiled and unhooked the fish, giving it to her granddaughter to examine.

"It's slimy..."

"Of course, Lauren. They're fishes, they're supposed to be slimy, dear." Laura laughed.

"I think it's dead, it stopped moving." Lauren looked at the fish closely before putting her ear on it's body. "Grandmama! It's dead! What do we do? I killed it."

"Lauren, fishes need water to survive. Don't worry, we'll catch another one and this time we'll put it back into the water." Laura said as she placed an arm on Lauren's shoulder. "Put that one inside the barrel, we'll cook it for dinner."

"Okay."

"But who painted this?" Lauren said aloud as she runs her fingers on the lake painting. She looked closely and she can just barely made out some initials: "C.K" the letters escaped her lips, like a wind whistling against the breeze. Whoever C.K is, Lauren would like to personally thank them for bringing out such a good memory from that place.

Lauren turned around and walked around the room, it was so quiet that the sound of creaking floors were almost music in her ears. She started by rummaging in her suitcase to find her iPod, and then started listening to music while she grabbed her abuela's photo album. Lauren opened them and it brought all the memories of almost every picture inside it to her, but there were a couple of pictures right at the back that seem old and unfamiliar to Lauren. She looked closely and saw her grandmothers, she smiled at the sight of them hugging and kissing in the picture, it looked like they were at a wedding party, as both Lucille and Laura wore a long formal dress.

However, as Lauren turned the page she saw a picture she's never seen before. There were four people, which she can only identify two, the two being Laura and Lucille – then two strangers who seemed to have lived a high-class life. There was a lady on the right wearing an elegant maroon dress, which accentuated her petite feminine body. The lady's facial features were very sharp but she had a kind look on her face. Then the guy who gave Lauren the wrong vibe. He, on the other hand, wore a crisp grey suit and looked at the camera with his menacing eyes, as if any minute he would pierce Lauren's eyes with his.

"Who are they?"

Jan 9th, 2017 - Manhattan, New York

Alejandro left Sinuhe in the living room as she continued to sob upon her realisation of what their daughter's life has become without the both of them. He can no longer even consider Sinuhe as a friend. It has well been over thirteen years since the last time he spoke more than a few words with her, Alejandro doesn't think he's even ready to actually speak to her.

He took his cellphone out and dialled his mother's number, he knew it was really late at night, but Alejandro knows his mother would answer. She always does.

As soon as he heard her voice over the phone he just felt tears running down his cheeks. 

"Mamá..." He called out, but doesn't trust his voice to be audible right now. He tried to catch his breath before speaking once again.

"Mamá... I have to ask you a very big favour."

"Mi hijo, what is it? Are you okay?" Her voice sounded concerned, but delicate as ever, always the caring mother he's always known. Karla Cabello has never changed at all.

"Mamá, I don't think I'm a good father to my daughter..." His voice cracked as he choked at his own words, "I don't think I can take care of her anymore."

As much as he hate being separated from Camila, Alejandro doesn't think she's going to be the person she wants to be if she stays with him. He got the sole custody of Camila when Sinuhe lost the case after she decided to run away with that other man. Alejandro can never bear to think of ever giving her to Sinuhe and that good for nothing husband her. He just can't.

The only one he believes that can change Camila is his mother.

"I'm not going." Camila retorted.

"What I say goes, and you are going whether you like it or not. Don't make it harder than it already is, Camila!" Alejandro finally snapped.

"Why don't I keep our daugh–

"No. My mother already agreed to keep Camila, I trust her more than I trust you." He cuts off Sinuhe's own suggestion.

"I'm the mother of Camila! I have the right, Alejandro!"

"You threw away that right! Remember that, Sinu."

"Great. Now I'm in this plane on the way to Miami where I don't even know anyone. Does Mamina even have internet over there? Will my cellphone even work in her house?" Camila grumbled to herself, as she sat looking outside the window of the plane.

She sighed before she remembered how her father snapped earlier, he must've really hated talking to her mother. Camila wouldn't blame the man, her mother left them just like that for another man and from then on she hated her. Camila hated her.

Camila decided that sleeping would be the best solution for her growing hatred that's beginning to transform itself into a headache. She has two and a half more hours to go before the plane lands and before she gets stuck with her Mamina forever. Actually, there was a time when Camila would have loved to have lived beside her Mamina, but right now all she wanted was to go to Dinah's and live with her best friend forever. Dinah understands her and Dinah wouldn't judge her. She can already feel her Mamina lecturing her. Or perhaps, she won't and she'll just ignore Camila like her father does. It has been a while since she last saw her Mamina. A lot can change in all those years.

When the plane stopped and landed at the airport, Camila walked around the waiting area for a little while until she saw a couple of guys holding up a sign that says her name. They told her that they work for her grandmother and was happy enough to accompany Camila to her Mamina's house... well mansion to say the least.

"Wow." Camila looked around and saw how beautiful the estate is. Flowers of all sorts were around the front yard, as the car circled around the fountain and stopping near the front doors. There were various greeneries to compliment the vividly green grass. This was definitely a new environment compared to their boring two-story apartment back in Manhattan.

"Mila, my dearest, you're finally here."

Camila looked at her grandmother, it's been already four years since the last time she saw her. It's somehow as if the woman never aged, Karla Cabello looked young as ever, well, younger than most eighty-seven-years-old anyway. The old woman decided that there's no time to waste, as soon as Camila got out of the car, she reached for her unica hija and hugged Camila tightly. Karla was trembling in both worry and elation that she finally got to see Camila once again.

She had always harboured some sort of hard feelings when Alejandro prevented her from seeing Camila anymore. Karla could never understand the real reason behind it, but she's more than happy now that she's with her only granddaughter once again.

"Come inside, I'll show you around." Karla smiles as she pulls back and takes a good look at Camila. "My, my, mi hija. You look absolutely fantastic. You've grown beautifully."

"Papá always said I resembled you when you were younger." Camila smiled.

"I say you're far more beautiful than I ever was, my angel."

"You're quite the charmer, Mamina."

"So, I've been told." Karla winked and laughed softly with Camila before leading her granddaughter inside the estate, touring her around the first floor of the mansion. Camila could see a lot of paintings, but they whisked by them pretty quickly and before she knows it she's left in her own bedroom to get settled in.

Camila decided now would be the best time to unpack. She can't help but stare at her room, which was entirely bigger than her old room back in Manhattan. She has her own walk in closet, a bathroom with a bathtub and a shower, which are both separately attached inside. But, last but not the least, she has her own television and computer. Camila might as well just pinch herself, she must be living in a dream because this doesn't seem like a punishment camp for her. This is a blessing.

There was a faint knock outside Camila's door, she simply told the person behind it to come in. Her grandmother slowly appeared and smiled at her as she went inside Camila's room.

"Comfortable?" Karla asked.

"Very, it's so big!" Camila commented.

"Of course, and I personally designed it for you." Karla came closer to her granddaughter, brushing the younger one's hair with a smile. "Come, lunch is ready for you." She added.

Camila nodded her head and smiled. She followed her grandmother outside and they both headed towards the dining area. Again, they passed various paintings hanging on the wall, they have the same initials inscribed onto it, which Camila made out to be 'C.K'. And as the curious girl she always has been, Camila couldn't help but ask her Mamina.

"Who painted all of these? They're wonderful."

"I did." Karla smiled at her before she placed her arm around Camila's shoulders.

"Wow! These are amazing, Mamima!" Camila praised, "I particularly like this painting of the lake here. It seems as if it's an actual picture."

"It was the most vivid place I could remember, which is why when I painted it... I knew it like the back of my hand." Karla replied, her smile slowly disappears but her eyes spoke of precious memories in her head.

"The painting of the rings too. Are these the rings grandpapi gave you? They're amazing." Added Camila before she walked towards the third painting to her right.

"Uh..." Karla began, "Not exactly, but let's get to your dinner! I'm sure you're very hungry after that trip." She hurriedly changed the topic and placed a cheerful smile on her lips, before she dragged Camila to the dinning area.

Jan 10th 1949 - Cabello Estate

Inside the peaceful stable where only the whining of the horses can be heard, Karla patiently waited for her lover's arrival. It has been two years since she first saw the beautiful, Laura Michelle Jauregui. Karla stands beside the sturdy wooden door and reminisce of the exact moment met Laura.

"Karla, there you are!" A tall, tanned skin girl beamed with enthusiasm. "I've been looking all over the place for you, silly."

Karla smiled but kept her focus on the canvas she's working on. "Hello to you too, Diana."

"You had me walking all over the estate and for that I believe I deserve a sincere apology." Diana grinned as she stood in place at the front of Karla's canvas.

"Diana, I'm working. Can't you see I'm busy right now?" Karla chuckled as she peeks to the side and shoos Diana out of the way of the pond she was busy painting.

"You seriously need to go out. Explore the world! Come to the theatre! Party with me!" Diana exclaimed as she rolls her eyes at her best friend, her shoulders deflating. "Painting are for old people. We're young, fresh and hot. God, just look at my bodacious body, I'm wasting it away watching you waste that cute Cuban butt of yours."

"You're being melodramatic again." Karla countered and it was her turn to roll her eyes. "We go out, we party. I go to the theatre with you."

"With our parents!" Diana groaned.

Karla was just about to respond when Diana snatched her paintbrush and started dangling it above her. Karla sighed knowing she can never reach her brush now that her best friend was wearing heels. Diana was already tall enough, but right then and there she was a giant compared to Karla.

"Fine. We'll go out." Karla said in defeat before she smiled at her best friend and jumped to snatch her brush. "Promise me you'll behave."

"I make no promises." Diana teased. "But, before anything else, we're taking my friend with us."

"Wait, what friend?"

"She's new in town, met her at a party two weeks ago. You'll love her!" Diana grinned as she grabbed hold of Karla's wrist and dragged her back to the estate.

It took them a while to get inside the Cabello estate, as Karla decided she would feed her favourite mare first. She also said that whoever Diana's friend is she can wait for as long as possible, Karla is a busy girl after all. After a couple of playful push and shove, Karla and Diana finally entered the estate and was greeted by Karla's father, Andrés, who was clearly engaged in a deep conversation with an unfamiliar brunette.

"Karla, Diana," Andrés stood up and smiled at the girls, but Karla wanted to get a better view of the stranger.

If only she could turn around and face her.

"Diana, my dear, you never told me your friend has vast knowledge about trading and wine. Laura has won me over." He laughed deeply and Karla could see the girl, Laura, standing up.

Somehow all noise became somewhat of a muffled sound when Karla saw those wild emerald orbs, plump blood red lips and high structured cheekbones. Karla found herself gasping for air, her throat was clogged as words on her mouth became muttered noises. She's capturing every feature in her head, wanting to remember every detail for her to paint later on.

"It's nice to finally put a face to the name." A thick, low voice greeted her in Spanish.

Karla's eyed widened. 'She's talking to me?' "Oh, me?" Karla blurted out.

"Nice to meet you, Karla. Diana told me many stories about you." She continued in Spanish and Karla struggled to form sentences even further.

"Uh... I hope they're all good." She giggled. 'Wait, did I really just do that?' "Laura? Is that your name?"

"Yes."

"It's nice to meet you, Laura."

Karla was too deep in her memory when she suddenly felt someone's arms wrap around her waist, in her surprise she smiled heavenly, but turned to see Shaun with a smile on his face. Karla's smile immediately turned into a frown, but even before she can complain, she felt Shaun's lips on hers and his arms tightened that she was almost unable to breathe.

Karla felt as if she was going to vomit in disgust, she had no idea how to break free from Shaun without being accused of disobedience once again. He's done that before, complain to Karla's parents about how Karla was being disobedient just because she refused to give him what he wanted.

When Shaun pulled away from the kiss he smiled at Karla and stroked her cheek, but she only looked down on the ground and tried hard to conceal her disgusted face.

"Not long now till we get married." Shaun whispered in his broken Spanish. Karla thinks he's trying too hard. They all know Shaun was born and raised in the States and only speaks in Spanish when he's trying to impress.

Karla sighed softly. "Don't you think your parents are rushing the wedding? We're too young."

"Are you questioning my parents?" Shaun's voice raised a notch.

Karla looked at his eyes and saw how enraged he was by her question. 'And this is the boy my parents want me to marry.' Somehow, Karla knew disagreeing with Shaun would only result in bad situations.

"I think she's just merely stating the truth." A voice from behind startled Karla, it was from the familiar voice she always loved to hear. "She is indeed too young and so are you." She added, her Spanish pronunciation was absolutely perfect.

"And you are?" Shaun raised a brow, he looked at the woman standing only a couple of feet away from him.

"Laura. I'm Laura Jauregui, daughter of Miguel Jauregui." Laura smiled, but Karla could see pass that smile of hers. She can tell all Laura wanted to do was snatch her away from him.

"Ah, you're the halfbreed who owns the mansion near town." Shaun smirked, "My parents heard of your family. Remarkable, how a Cuban man and an American woman was able to get married." It was clear to everyone present that Shaun was taunting Laura.

Karla could see Laura clenching her jaws. She was furious and Karla was about to reprimand Shaun when Laura spoke up. "They weren't married here if that's what you're getting at and if my mother was still alive, she would have told you that they married each other out of love." Laura spoke in straight English before turning her gaze over at Karla. "They simply loved one another unconditionally."

Shaun breathed out with a loud sigh, then wrapped his arm around Karla's waist. "But, that's not how we are. We marry our own people, no one else than that... right, Karla?" He looked at her, his eyes were threatening Karla's.

"Y-Yes..."

A/N: Woop, flashbacks from the past and more Karla and Laura! Lauren and Camila will meet soon, but Lauren has to meet someone else first before Camz. Dinah makes an appearance in the form of Diana. Let me know if you want more 1940s flashbacks. Till next time! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

364K 9.4K 30
(I'VE BEEN EDITING THIS AND SO FAR, I'VE ONLY DONE THE FIRST 4 CHAPTERS) Lauren Jauregui is the epitome of independence. She could do whatever she wa...
73.5K 1.9K 14
When Camila visits her parents in Miami with her son, she meets the beautiful green eyed woman, Lauren. Lauren helps Camila's mother around the house...
1.1K 25 7
Lauren Jauregui is a 20 year old agent hired by Karla Estrabao's father to be her bodyguard. Karla is a famous actress in Hollywood. Even though she'...
2.6M 75.2K 41
Lauren Jauregui has had a crush on her fellow band member, Camila Cabello for a while now. Still friends, they have gradually grown very distant. One...