And Then There Was You

By desireispoison

Do you believe in love at first sight? Or maybe, it's more along the lines of lust at first sight. To Emma Sw... More

I. And Then There Was You
II. A New Beginning
III. The Mystery Woman
IV. Sharing of Wits
V. Surreality
VI. Sweet As Wine
VII. The Morning After
VIII. A Sudden Surprise
IX. Inhale, Exhale
X. Hold On
XII. Unexpected Betrayal
XIII. A Fantastic Thanksgiving (part one)
XIV. A Fantastic Thanksgiving (part two)
XV. A Fantastic Thanksgiving (part three)
XVI. A Fiery Heart
XVII. A Very Foggy Horned Beetle
XVIII. Irresistible and Not So Irresistible Charm

XI. Bewildering Happenstance

1K 40 9
By desireispoison

Yay, longer chapter! I got excited writing the last one so the ideas for this chapter were overflowing! My fingers haven't had this much exercise in a while, no pun intended. KIDDING! It's probably the vanilla iced coffee I just had from McDonalds! XD

[Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters from ABC's hit show, ONCE UPON A TIME.]

"Emma?" Another familiar voice called out her name. Emma stopped crying, wiped her tears away and looked up to meet her friend in the eyes. Belle knew that something had gone terribly wrong. She knew that her best friend didn't show any weakness, especially in public. She knew that Emma's a very strong person and seldom cried, unless it's death related regarding someone close. "Ems, what's wrong?"

Emma's nose flared, as she whimpered and was unable to cease it. Belle kneeled down in front of Emma and met her in position. She gave her best friend a comforting hug. It helped Emma a bit, but it still was not the same. Belle is not Regina. The two friends embraced for a few minutes until Emma calmed down. After they pulled apart, Emma wiped her nose with her sleeve.

"Here," Belle said, handing Emma a handkerchief she pulled out from her pocket.

Emma hesitated for a moment before she accepted it. She noticed the handkerchief had swan patterns on it. "This hanky looks familiar." Emma finally said after careful examination.

The brunette giggled and gave Emma an affirmative smile. "You don't remember? You gave it to me."

"Huh... when?"

"When we first met, silly. Don't you remember? It was fourth grade and I was being bullied, because I wore glasses with thick frames and you saved me. You actually beat up those little jerks and right after, you handed me your hanky."

"Oh, wow. That was a long time ago. You remembered all of that?"

"Of course," Belle said with pride. She smiled and looked up at a painting of Monet on the wall above Emma's head as she reminisced of their childhood past. "What kind of best friend would I be if I didn't remember special moments like that?"

Emma's forehead crinkled. "Oh," she replies. Her eyes widened as she too recalled the past event. "Yes, I remember. I remember it all clearly. Your glasses made your eyes bug out. I didn't say anything back then, 'cause I never really thought about it until now." Emma chuckled. "They we're so ridiculous. Who wouldn't make fun of you?"

Belle was taken aback by Emma's unrestrained comment, but playfully returned the sarcasm. "You only made friends with me, because I was the only one willing to help you with homework." Belle smirked with vindication, proud at herself for being sagaciously insightful even at an early age. "Also, I made friends with you, because I knew I'd always have backup."

"Hah-hah," Emma sneered as she rolled her eyes.

The playful banter the two friend's exchange was enough for Emma to relinquish the negativity that was engulfing her mind before. It was sort of like a metamorphosis of emotion, but cut short when pulled back to reality.

Belle knew that by not permitting Emma to vent her feelings out, she would choose the only option she'd been far too familiar with; run. She gave Emma a concerned look, serious enough to let her friend perceive her intention. "So, what's this all about, Ems? I know that if we don't talk about it now, we'll never have the chance to talk about it again."

Emma took a deep breath and sighed. Her hands had been sweating since the unfortunate situation she was put in before. She gave her best friend a sorrowful look. Her puffy eyes emphasized the dread she had been feeling. "Profess-Regina, doesn't want me." She looked away, frightened to witness a look of judgment on her friend's face.

"Ems," Belle replied with an understanding to her tone, free from judgment that Emma had feared otherwise. "Ruby and I know you love her. We're your best friends and we know almost everything about each other and we both support you. Just as long as you're happy."

Emma lifted her head up and met Belle's eyes with clouded vision. She witnessed the sincerity in her face. She sighed and gave her a small, but true smile. "Thanks, Bells."

"Guys I'm here," A voice blurted out, half-gasped in between words and made her presence known. "Who's the fucktard that hurt my bestie??"

The last sentence was louder than the allowed level of volume that any library would permit. A couple of students shushed though the thick shelves of books.

Emma was slightly confused, as she sat on the floor, she averted her attention to the seemingly boisterous person behind Belle. "Rubes, what are you doing here?"

"I was on the phone with Bells earlier," Ruby replied with great concern. Her blatant breathless condition proved it with the utmost conviction. "She told me to come to the second floor in the back area; more specifically, the romance section. I didn't even know they had this section," Ruby added as she scanned some of the book titles around her.

How convenient, Emma sighed at the thought. She took her time before she explained to Ruby what she had told Belle.

-Swan Residence-

Saturday morning... Emma slowly opened her eyes; her consciousness too awakened, but alas dreaded the feeling of her waking reality. It had been less than a month since the unfortunate event. No, it was more of a nightmare that had happened between her and Regina. Regina... Oh, beautiful and perfect Regina... Emma's thought process wandered with only one thing on her mind. She missed the beautiful brunette who frequented her dreams so much that every night she tossed and turned and when she finally fell asleep, it was only for a few hours until she was woken up from crying in her sleep. She had tried using sedatives to help ease the anxiety, but to no avail. The eye-bags that had already taken form under her eyes proved that. Regina had not spoken to her once since the incident, only things that involved classwork. The nights grew longer as Emma lay awake, restless. Even though she slept late every night, she wakes up early everyday, unable to return to a peaceful slumber. It usually took Emma a few hours before deciding to get out of bed, unless her mother's at home, which she rarely is, due to her busy schedule. That arrangement was more than all right with Emma. She didn't want to have a chance or a need to explain to her mother how she had been feeling lately. Prevention is key and when her mother is at home, she would make up an excuse to leave the house. Her mother, Mary Margaret also didn't mind the frequent absence of Emma, because of her younger brother, Neal who long before, had proven to be a handful.

It was nearing the end of November and the weather in Storybrooke upped the ante. The presence of snow was devoid from the town, but a mere venture out onto the streets will make a face go numb and their breath seemingly visible. Thank God for heaters. Emma finally found the will to get herself out of bed and walked out of her room. She witnessed her younger brother, Neal, already up and about playing with his Playstation 4. His weekend clock seemed to always be on time, even more so, much earlier than the weekdays. Although in Emma's case, no matter what day it was, she never managed to get up on time. The snooze button on her cellphone truly is her other best friend. She made her way into the bathroom to freshen up. A moment later, the front door of the apartment opened. The first thing she heard was the voice she had been hearing for the last eighteen years.

"Emma?" her mother, Mary Margaret called out, "I hope you're up."

Emma poked her head out the bathroom door. "Yeah, I'm up. What's up?"

"Would you mind running to the store to get the ingredients for our Thanksgiving dinner we're having tomorrow?" Her mother asked while looking through her bag. She took out her wallet and pulled some bills out. "Here's the money. I'm busy all day today and I won't have time to do the tedious tasks."

"Yeah, sure," Emma replied with a blank expression as she took the money from her mother's hand. "Do you have the list?"

"Yep," Mary Margaret blithely confirmed, handing out a piece of paper already filled with a list of groceries along with a set of car keys. "Don't forget to bring back the car in-"

"One piece," Emma interjected and finished the sentence she'd been far too familiar with. She knew her mother all too well.

"Good," Mary Margaret delightedly agreed in satisfaction to her daughter's response. "Thank you. I'm so happy you finally cared." She gave Emma an approving smile and walked over to where Neal was sitting and gave him a nurturing kiss on the head. "I'm gonna take a quick shower and nap before you get back," Mary Margaret added as she made her way down the hallway and into her bedroom.

After Mary Margaret closed her bedroom door behind her, Emma went back in her room to change into more suitable clothing. She put her hair up into a ponytail while she looked at herself in the mirror. Damn, I look terrible. I should wear makeup. She put a little makeup on; more concealer under her eyes though, grabbed her favorite red leather jacket and a pair of boots then exited her room. She stopped before the apartment door to put on her jacket and boots. She looked up at Neal, whose attention was fixated on the television screen. "Hey, kiddo I'm going to grocery store. Want anything?"

"Fruit Loops please!" Neal instantly replied with excitement, unwavering from his current position.

Emma shook her head and smirked. "Okay, no problem. Don't leave the apartment. I'll be right back."

"Okay, Thanks. I love you," Neal called out to his big sister, still focused on the screen in front of him.

Emma took one more look at her brother and smiled before she walked out the door. At least I have him, she thought. "I love you too," she replied and exited through the door.

-Town Streets-

Emma's mind was put at ease as she drove to the grocery store. She was glad that she was out of the house and not sulking in bed. She needed the fresh air even if it meant running errands. Although, she didn't mind doing the tedious tasks for her mother, because she benefitted from it as well. Mary Margaret permitted Emma to keep the change from the shopping tasks that she assigned her. It was more than fair. She usually saved up the change to buy herself new clothes or something special for Neal. As Emma drove, she left the radio off; instead she turned the heater up and rolled down her driver side window. There was an eerie silence on the town streets. There were only a few cars driving around. A couple of people were walking on the sidewalk and one had a dog on a leash. The light gurgling sound from her mother's old yellow Volkswagen Beetle and the rolling of car tires on the asphalt road was surprisingly soothing. The contrasting heat from the car heater and the chilly air that blew in comforted Emma in a way, until the iciness started to numb the tips of her fingers. She wore fingerless gloves, but in this case, it proved useless. She manually rolled the window up and it stopped midway, stuck. Oh, great. What else could possibly go wrong? Just then, a small animal scampered in front of the car. With quick reflex, Emma slammed on the breaks. The ice that dominated the asphalt road had made it impossible for Emma to regain control of the car as it spun out into a double 360 degrees. The car screeched into an abrupt halt and the smell of burning rubber seeped through the open window. Everything had happened so fast. The sudden occurrence left Emma breathless and in a state of shock. The traffic light just above the car changed from red to green, but Emma's body refused to move a muscle. The traumatic event had left Emma speechless and shaking. Her heart was beating in staccato, triple time. Although, at this point it felt like it was about to jump out of her chest. She had gripped the wheel tightly with both hands. A few seconds later, she snapped out of her trance and scanned the view around her to see if anyone got hurt. To her relief, there was not a soul in sight apart from the animal that was still scampering away then disappearing into the neighborhood. Emma closed her eyes and inhaled a deep breath. She ignored the pungent smell of burnt rubber. She let out a long stream of air before she continued her way to the store.

-Grocery Store (inside)-

Emma slowly drudged through the store. She felt heaviness in her body as she pushed the cart. The almost accident a few minutes ago plagued her mind. The terrifying incident distracted her from her needed shopping and for a moment there, she had forgotten as to what she was doing at the grocery store. Emma lets out a groan. Stupid animal. She took another deep breath and exhaled, coming back to reality. Minutes later, her cart was full groceries. She took another gander at her list and everything had been crossed out. I guess I'm done with mom's list. Only one more thing left. She pushed her cart to the cereal aisle. She grabbed the familiar red box with a picture of a toucan on it and put two boxes in her cart. As she was about to leave the aisle, a small boy ran into her cart and fell on the floor.

"Oh, my gosh." Emma gasped. "Are you alright?"

The small boy grabbed and rubbed his elbow with his other hand. Emma quickly bent over and helped the boy up. "Yeah, I'm okay. I shouldn't have been running. Sorry-" The boy looked up at Emma and instantly recognized her. "Emma!" The boy's eyes sparkled with delight as the corners of his mouth stretched into an excited grin. He gave Emma a tight hug; putting her mind at ease and her body, relax.

"Henry..." Emma started to say, but the sudden realization that Henry would not be alone in the store, hit her. Her reposeful disposition soon dissipated, turning rigid and welcomed the usual worry and the unavoidable rapid palpitations of her heart. "I suppose you're not alone..."

"Yeah, my mom's here too!" Henry exclaimed, showing his pearly whites.

Emma gave Henry a nervous smile. "Oh, that's great. You should go back to her. She might be looking for you-"

"Emma."

Too late...

Emma turned her attention toward the voice where a beautiful brunette wearing a long navy coat, knee high boots and crimson painted lips greeted her. As hard as Emma tried to forget this woman of perfection before her, it rendered impossible.

The words twisted inside Emma's mouth as she acknowledged this gorgeous lady before her. "Hi-h-hello, Professor Mills. I-I mean, what are you doing here?" It was all what Emma managed to say. It sounded weird inside her head and sounded even dumber coming out. Stupid. Keep your composure, Emma.

"We're just shopping for Thanksgiving tomorrow."

Compared to Emma, Regina's voice was very composed. "Oh, t-that's great! Us too!" Emma blurted out ecstatically. She forced a toothy smile. "I-I mean, me. Well, my mom and brother are at home and I'm, well, you know... shopping." Emma tried so hard to keep up with the upbeat disposition. She hoped Regina didn't see right through her. She hoped that Regina would save her the embarrassment and refrain from showing her any sympathy to what she had been feeling for the past month. Her pride was the only thing left that was keeping her from falling apart, but for the sake of salvaging whatever she had with Regina, she was still willing to let it down, even if it meant risking the very thing that kept her from undoing.

Regina gave her son an attentive look and smile. "Henry, go and pick out your cereal."

Regina's eyes followed Henry as her ran off to the middle of the aisle to pick out a box. Emma did not turn her attention away from Regina. Emma's gaze shifted from Regina then to the empty space between them. The pain and the hurt inside Emma's heart started to resurface once again. Before anything between them came into an indefinite halt, Emma must make a decision to get everything out in the open if she has any hope of ever reviving the connection they had once shared before it disappeared forever. It was now or never.

"Regina," Emma began to say, breaking the silence, her voice fighting off the will to falter. "We should talk. I think we need to talk."

The brunette's face displayed a null expression, one that Emma couldn't read. It seemed to be vacant and in searched for something or someone to fill it. Emma patiently waited for Regina to give her a response. At this point, Emma was desperate. She desperately wished Regina to at least give her an answer. Any answer... Something that would put her mind at ease whether it was good news or bad. Emma hoped for the best. A moment later, Henry came back from his quick trip with two boxes of Fruit Loops in each hand. The two women did not budge from their current position.

"Okay, mom. I'm done." Henry said with great satisfaction. He gave smiles to both women before him. "I'm gonna put these in our cart. Be right back."

When Henry was out of sight, Regina gave Emma a once over and turned on her heels to follow her son. "We have nothing more to say to each other. Good day, Miss Swan."

As Regina was about to leave, the blonde lightly grabbed her arm and pulled her back into a close embrace. Regina's lips were met with warm and soft inviting lips. There was a slight jolt when they made contact. Emma could feel the hot buildup from allover her body. It fumed its way out the collar of her neck. The heat traveled up to her cheeks and to the tips of her fingers as she gently grabbed Regina's face. She felt the heat from the conjoining of her touch. For a moment, she felt Regina kissing back until she broke away. The two women's breathing had labored from the steamy contact. Silence had never felt so comforting between them, until now. The racy affair had each of the two women's eye contact to become magnetized, rendering them both unable to pull apart.

"Regina..." Emma said. She hoped that somehow, their little innuendo broke the awkwardness between them.

"Regina, honey. There you are!"

-FIN-

For now... bwahahaha... who could it be? Thanks for reading! All comments are welcome! <3 VivaLaSwanQueen! <3 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.3K 2.7K 28
Right when both Emma and Regina are about to give up on dating, guys and romance, they meet each other. *This is a SwanQueen fanfiction *I don't own...
55.6K 2.5K 100
After a brutal past between Emma and Regina, will they ever find a common ground again? Learn to forgive. Learn to forget. Learn to love again. But i...
19.5K 395 17
Part two of the teacher/student fanfic between Emma Swan and Regina Mills. Once again, I do not own any rights to this story just uploading it on her...
145K 4.4K 25
Emma Swan is a 22 year old senior in college. She's a bad girl, sporting tattoos and piercings. She acts all tough and mean until her Creative Writin...