Faking It || l.r.h

By Hemmocliffoodirwin

⚠️TW: Mention of abuse, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts. Read at your own risk.⚠️ - He needed someone to mak... More

1. The Break-up
2. Crush
3. Party
4. Later
5. Monday
6. Plan
7. Practice
8. Kissing Act
9. Try
10. Burn
11. Fake Date
12. Fight
13. Move On
14. Eye
15. Video
16. Bowling
17. Dinner
18. Mistake
19. Flirt
20. Tutor
21. Better
22. Forgive and Forget
23. Or Not
24. Mall
25. Trust Me
26. Movie
27. Amusement Park
28. Home
29. Gift
30. Over
31. Here We Go Again
32. Wishing We Could Start Again
33. Cookies
34. Eve
35. Christmas
36. Advice
38. Band
39. The Beach
40. Detention
41. Doubt
42. Confusion
43. Guilt
44. Truth
45. In Denial
46. Done
47. Independence Day
48. Midnight Memories
49. Netflix and Chill
50. Runaways
BONUS CHAPTER: The Reactions
The End + Thanks

37. Second Chances

7.1K 156 353
By Hemmocliffoodirwin

*Luke's POV*

"It's nice being able to hang out at your place without your parents or little brothers around." I said when the movie went off.

"Tell me about it." She said. "My mum still goes on and on about how we shouldn't be together."

"She's not the only one." I rolled my eyes.

I was gonna take Avery's advice and invite Brooke over for what I hope will be a nice dinner with my family. They aren't terrible to the point where they'll say what they really think about her to her face but I know for a fact they won't hide they aren't happy. But they'll have to deal with it 'cause she's someone I care a lot about.

Wow, even in my own thoughts I can't bring myself to say that I love her. At least I figured out why, though, and I plan on changing that. I've finally accepted that there'll never be a future for Avery and I so I need to let her go. She'll always hold a special place in my heart but she can't be my top priority.

"But maybe they just need another chance at getting to know you better. And what better way to bond than over dinner?" I suggested.

"Yeah, 'cause there's nothing I'd rather do with my evening than spend it getting grilled my your parents and brothers." She said.

"It might not be as bad as you think. Maybe if you guys all sit and talk, they'll finally see why I love you."

Nope, still didn't feel a thing.

"What made you think of something like this anyway?" She asked.

"Avery suggested it." I immediately wanted to take it back when she gave me a look.

"Avery knows your family doesn't like me?" She asked, raising an eyebrow. I could already tell from her tone that this wasn't gonna go well.

"Well, yeah, but don't think of it like that."

"How much else of our business have you been telling her? Why are you still talking to her anyway? You guys aren't a thing anymore. You don't see me talking to Ash about you all the time."

"It's not even like that, Brooke. Avery and I are good friends and I talk to her because she gives really good advice. And before you even say it, there's nothing going on between us. You're the one I'm with because I care about you." I said, taking her hand in mine and intertwining our fingers. "You should know me better than that."

She sighed. "You're right, and I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me but I trust you completely."

I smiled, "Good," and leaned down and pressed my lips to hers. "So is that a yes to the dinner plan?"

"Sure, why not. It can't get any worse than it already is." She shrugged. "When would you like me over?"

"Tonight." I stated. Might as well get it over with.

"What? You can't be serious. I won't have enough time to prepare." She shook her head.

"Look, Brooke, it's not like you have to put on your war paint, it's just dinner. And I want all this hate to go away as soon as possible 'cause you don't deserve the rude remarks." I said.

"Okay, fine." She sighed.

"Thank you." I kissed her cheek and stood up. "I should get going so I can go ahead and let them know you'll be there so they can get all their yelling out their systems." She stood and walked me to the door. "Be there at six, okay?"

"Six." She nodded.

I wrapped my arms around her waist, locking my hands behind her back and pressed her front against mine. She smiled up at me and wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling us together so our foreheads touched. I finally closed the gap between us and kissed her beautiful lips, pushing my tongue through her slightly parted lips to deepen the kiss.

"I love you." She mumbled against my mouth after pulling away slightly.

"I love you too." I pecked her lips one last time before leaving and heading home.

As I drove, I thought of ways to break the news to my mother about Brooke coming over that wouldn't result in my death. I guess the best way is to come out and say it, she hates when people around the bush. I'll just causally bring it up and hope she doesn't rip my head off. Yep, that sounds like a plan to me.

I got home and walked inside. I went to the living room and saw my mum on the couch reading a book. I took the seat next to her and smiled.

"Hey, mum." I beamed.

"What do you want?" She asked.

"Why would you think I wanted something? Can't your favorite son just say hey?"

"Now I know you definitely want something." She saved her page and closed her book. "So what's going on?"

"I wanted you to know that'll you need to make extra for dinner tonight because I've invited someone." I stated.

"Don't tell me-"

"Yes, mum. I've invited Brooke over because I want you all to give her another chance."

"Why would you go and do a thing like that?" She asked.

"Because I want you guys to see what I see in her. I care about her a lot and I want everyone to get along. So if you could please just give her one more chance, I promise you'll see she's a great girl."

She sighed and gave me a look before responding. "If you're willing to go through all this trouble, I guess I can give her one more shot."

"Really? Thanks so much, mum, I promise you'll love her." I kissed her cheek and headed up to my room.

That was easier than I thought it'd be. If everything goes well tonight, I won't have to hear anymore cruel words coming from my family about her and that'll eliminate one of my problems.

I should probably tell Avery the good news since it was her idea and all. This isn't just some lame excuse to call her and hear her voice either. I just think that she should be involved in my life since we're friends and all.

I took out my phone and dialed her number, holding it up to my ear and sitting on the edge of my bed as I listened to the ringing. She picked up on the third ring and I couldn't help the smile that spread across my face when she spoke.

"Hey, Luke." She said. I could imagine her smiling also.

"Hey, Avery. I just wanted to call and let you know that, uh, I took your advice and invited Brooke over for dinner and my mum is actually open to giving her a second chance." I said.

"That's great and I'm sure it'll make everything better between everyone as long as things go smoothly."

"I hope so." I nodded even though I knew she couldn't see me. We fell silent for a few moments before I changed the subject. I didn't want to stop talking to her quite yet. "I'm not interrupting anything, am I?" I asked. Okay so maybe I really wanted to know if she was with Ash or not.

"No, not really, why?" She asked.

"Just curious." I shrugged. "Do you have any plans later?"

"Probably just me, Netflix, and some tea."

"Mind if I join you?" I don't know what I'm doing and I know it's not gonna help me forget about my feelings for her but I still want to have the relationship we had before, well except for all the kissing and sleeping together.

"Uh, no, I don't mind." She said. I could just imagine her tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear.

"Cool, I'll see you after the dinner." I smiled.

"Yeah, see you then." We said our goodbyes and hung up.

That was a terrible plan. Of course I want to see her but how am I supposed to get over her if I do things like that? I could call her right back to cancel but a small part of me doesn't want to. Well it's not actually small, it's more like three-fourths of me that doesn't want to cancel. And I know if Brooke ever found out, she'll be very upset. I could see a twinge of jealousy when I mentioned that the dinner was Avery's idea. I know she doesn't have anything against Avery, but she obviously gets a little jealous. If it ever came to it, I couldn't give up my friendship with Avery, I just got her back. All I have to do is remember to not mention her so much. That'll hopefully not spark anything in Brooke to cause her to do something such as ban Avery and I from being friends. While I'm trying not to love her, she'll always hold a special place in my heart.

-

"How do I look?" Brooke asked when I opened the door.

"Hello to you too." I chuckled and kissed her temple. "What's that?" I pointed to what was in her hands.

"I brought some dessert in hopes to lighten the mood a bit."

I brought her inside and closed the door behind her. "You look beautiful and you didn't have to bring anything to kiss up. They'll fall in love with you like I did." I smiled.

That seemed to loosen her up a bit and she returned the smile. "You always know what to say to make me feel better."

"I know where to touch you, too." I smirked and winked. My comment caused her to turn red and I laughed at how cute she looked when she was embarrassed. "But really, there's nothing for you to worry about." I placed my hand on the small of her back and led her to the kitchen where my mum was.

"Hello, Mrs. Hemmings." Brooke smiled.

"Hi, dear." She replied, not looking up from what she was doing.

"I brought a pie for dessert, unless you already have dessert then I can get rid of it. But if you want two desserts as a variety then here's something to add." She rambled. I bit my lip to refrain from laughing and rubbed her back to calm her down.

"You can just set it on the counter over there." She pointed and went over to the fridge to take something out.

"Well," Brooke said, taking the pie to where my mum pointed, "do you need any help finishing dinner? Or perhaps I could set the table."

"I'm fine, thank you." My mum said.

Brooke just nodded and we left the kitchen and went through the dining room.

"Don't look so defeated, you've still got plenty of time to warm up to her." I said, trying to sound encouraging.

"She wouldn't even look at me, Luke. How am I supposed to show her I'm a decent person if she won't look or interact with me?" She asked.

"There's nothing for you to worry about, it'll take some time." I assured her.

"I bet she wasn't this way when she met Avery." She mumbled. And she's right; my mum not only invited her, she was much kinder.

"Let's go into the living room so you can charm the rest of them, okay?" I urged her out the other door and we walked into the living room hand in hand, taking the love seat near the television.

I cleared my throat. "You all know Brooke."

They murmured their hellos and continued to watch television. Brooke gave me an uneasy look and I felt bad that this wasn't off to a better start. It's not like I'm not trying; they're being incredibly stubborn. I just wish there was a way for everyone to get along.

We sat there talking to each other until my mum called us all for dinner. We washed up and went into the dining room where our meal of steak, potatoes, and salad was sitting in the middle of the table waiting for us. We took our seats and began passing the food around to fill our plates.

I thought the beginning of the evening would be the hardest, but then I soon learned this would be the hardest. There was no doubt my mum would ask questions and be as invasive as possible.

"So how are the two of you?" My mum asked.

"We're good." Brooke answered, looking at me.

"And what sparked this rekindling of the relationship?" Well she wastes no time.

"Well...it took some time but I realized that I still had strong feelings for Luke and I can't be without him. It's as simple as that, really." She shrugged.

"Mm." She nodded and took a sip from her glass.

Brooke began to cut into her steak and then sat her knife and fork down. "Look, Mrs. Hemmings, I don't know what I did to make you look at me with such displeasure but I really do care for your son. He's the only one I've felt strong feelings for and all I want is for you to accept our relationship; all of you, really." She said, looking at everyone around the table. "I don't want to be looked down at and talked about negatively anymore. Can I please just have a chance?"

My mum looked surprised by her speech. I had to admit, I was pretty surprised myself. I didn't expect for her to just come out and ask for respect like that but she deserves it. There's no reason for them to treat her the way they do. But I think after tonight, things will be different.

-

The night had taken a surprising positive turn. It went from there being a ton of awkward tension and coldness to bubbly and calm. They were actually talking to her as if they've all been friends the entire time. I guess that little speech she gave earlier really worked. They were treating her like a human being and it was an amazing sight.

"While tonight has been a lot of fun," Brooke said, setting her pie plate on the coffee table, "it's getting pretty late and I should probably head home."

"It was nice having you, dear." My mum smiled. The way she used the term of endearment now was much different than the way she used it earlier.

"And I enjoyed being here." Brooke smiled, standing up. "I guess I'll be seeing you all soon."

They all smiled and nodded, saying their goodbyes.

"I'll walk you out, babe." I said, standing up and walking her to the door. We left them and headed outside and to her car.

"That went surprisingly well." She smiled. "It got off to a rocky start but it ended on a great note."

"I don't know how you did it but you turned them around." I chuckled. "I knew they'd learn to love you."

She wrapped her arms around my neck and I placed my hands on her waist, bringing her close.

"Okay so for once you were right." She giggled.

"You and I both know I'm right more often than not." I said.

"Are you gonna stand here and go back and forth with me or are you gonna kiss me?" She asked, raising an eyebrow.

I laughed as I closed the space between us and kissed her plump lips. Before we could get too into it, one of my brothers called from the porch.

"Luke! Mum said you've gotta help do the dishes!"

I groaned as I pulled away and she chuckled.

"I'll see you later, then."

"Later, baby." I smiled, stepping back to watch her get in her car, start it up, and drive down the street.

I went back inside, being immediately greeted by snickers from my idiot siblings. It doesn't surprise me they were watching, they never give me a moment alone.

"You're just jealous you guys aren't getting some." I laughed. My comment earned a shove from Ben and the finger from Jack.

I went to the kitchen to do the dishes and my mum came in with the salad bowl.

"I have to admit, I was wrong about Brooke. I can tell she really cares about you and I'm sorry for all the rude things I said about her without actually knowing her." She said.

"Thanks, mum. Your opinion of her really mattered to her. She just wanted you to approve of the two of us." I said.

"You really care about her, don't you? At least I'd think so since you went through all this trouble."

"Yeah, I do." I nodded.

"Then treat her right. You never know when you could meet that special girl that you may end up spending the rest of your life with." She said.

"Of course." I replied. She left the room and I continued with my task.

Do I really see myself spending the rest of my life with Brooke? I mean, yeah, I care about her a lot but is it to the point where I see us getting married and having kids? I was in love with Avery but I never thought about starting a family with her. I guess we could head in that direction, though. When the time is right, I could make her mine forever. I don't know what I'd do without Brooke. You saw what I did to get her back; I can't be without her. She's the first girl I ever allowed myself to feel for and I can't let her go. Who am I without her?

But then there's Avery who I have stronger feelings for. I can easily tell myself I love her but with Brooke I'm constantly having to remind myself to act like I mean it when I say it and I don't want to keep going on like that. What if she found out I was lying? She'd probably leave me for sure.

I'm so stupid and confused. I say I can't live without either of them yet there's only one that I love.

After finishing, I dried my hands and went to grab my phone and keys. I checked the time and I still had plenty of time to head to Avery's and hang out with her.

I went into the living room where my mum was and leaned over the back of the couch.

"Hey mum, I'm going out and I'll be back before midnight." I said.

"Where?" She asked, not bothering to look away from the screen.

"I'm just going over to Avery's."

"And Brooke is okay with you hanging out with your ex?" She asked.

"We're just friends and Brooke knows that." I nodded. "There's nothing to worry about."

"Well have fun, then." I kissed her cheek and left.

I arrived at Avery's house and, with my heart nearly beating out of my chest, I rang her doorbell and took a step back to wait. Within a minute, she opened the door and I smiled.

"Luke." She sounded surprised. "I didn't think you'd actually come over."

"Why wouldn't I?" I asked, stepping inside.

"I don't know." She shrugged. "So how was the dinner?" I followed her to the kitchen.

"It got off to a rocky start, but that was expected and it surprisingly ended on a good note. They were talking and laughing with her as if all that mess they thought about her before never existed." I said.

"That's good." She nodded, going to the cabinet to take out another mug. "Tea?"

"Yeah, please." I nodded.

"So now that that's out of the way, what about the whole love thing?" She asked as she poured hot water into the cup.

"Well I'm still kind of working on that." I admitted.

"Do you at least know what's stopping you from being able to open up your heart to love her?"

Yeah, you.

"Nope." I shook my head. "It's not like my heart isn't open to it, though. I want to love her but I just don't feel that special love feeling."

"How's that supposed to feel?" She chuckled.

"I don't know." I shrugged. "And it's not something I'd be able to explain anyway. It's the feeling only that one special person gives you that you can't describe, you just know."

She handed me my piping hot tea and I thanked her.

"I know what you mean." She nodded.

"You've been in love before?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Maybe..." Her cheeks turned red.

"Now I have to know." I chuckled, leaning onto the counter more. "Who is he?"

"I'm not gonna tell you his name," she giggled, "but I will tell you how he made me feel. That may help you with figuring out how you're supposed to feel about Brooke."

"I'll take what I can get."

"Well...I can start off by saying he made me incredibly happy. Being around him made me forget that my life was a mess. He was my sweet escape; my other half. My heart would beat faster when he was around or even just thinking about him. Don't get me wrong, he frustrated me at times but at the end of the day, I still loved him and I probably always will." She finished.

I nodded. "And I don't get any hint as to who he is?" I sounded playful but I was actually pretty jealous deep down.

"Nope." She shook her head. "He's just some guy I love right now."

Great, she's in love with Ashton. I did hope it was me for a little bit but I need to learn to stop hoping for impossible things.

"Well I'm glad you've got someone that makes you happy, you truly deserve it." I said.

"Thanks, Luke." She smiled. "How about you pick what we watch first?"

"I'd like that." I nodded and led the way to the living room.

Maybe that's what I needed, confirmation. I now know for sure that she doesn't love me so I can stop loving her and begin to love Brooke for real. Being in love by yourself is one of the most painful things. I want nothing more than to tell Avery how I truly feel but she made it pretty clear who her heart belongs to so there's no point. It's time I give Brooke all of me; it's what she deserves. She loves me and I want to be able to return the feeling.

Like I said before, Avery will always hold a special place in my heart but I can't be in love with her. It's not fair to Brooke or myself so it's best that I lose my feelings for her sooner rather than later.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

407K 9.2K 53
I never thought an anxiety attack could be the best thing to happen to me. Rankings: #1 AshtonIrwin #2 Ashton #1 5SOS #1 5secondsofsummer #2 CalumHoo...
771 38 19
My whole life I've been waiting for someone to love me and care about me as much as I cared and loved everyone else. I never thought it was possible...
196K 5.2K 70
I never thought an anxiety attack could be the best thing to happen to me. Do not read without reading part 1 first, you won't understand half of it...
373K 10.2K 49
In which Luke is in a relationship with Victoria's older sister, Claire, but Victoria and everyone else knows Luke deserves someone better.