✅ The Wishing Tree - Book Two...

By RElizabethM

**Second Book -- Spoilers in Blurb -- Read at own risk** Sent back through the portal to the First Realm, a... More

Author's Note/Story Blurb
He's Coming - Part 1
Just let me go - Part 2
Rituals - Part 3
The Wishing Tree - Part 4
The Quillore - Part 5
Competition - Part 6
Revelations - Part 7
Heart of the Matter - Part 8
Secrets - Part 9
Confessions - Part 10
Dreaming - Part 11
Friendship - Part 12
Anger - Part 13
The Ribbons - Part 14
Burst the box - Part 15
Lost Time - Part 16
Giant Obstacles - Part 17
The Slow Leak - Part 18
To the Rescue - Part 19
The Narrows - Part 20
Oh Lord - Part 21
The Woods of Alarum - Part 22
Boom - Part 23
Time to Heal - Part 24
Connections - Part 25
Dreaming - Part 26
Soul Deep - Part 27
Two Birds - Part 28
Treed - Part 29
Decisions - Part 30
Fractured - Part 31
Asserting Power - Part 32
The Bargain - Part 33
The cliffs of Merical - Part 34
Terms and Conditions - Part 35
Enough - Part 37
Corruption - Part 38
Dreaming - Part 39
Caverns of Fate - Part 40
Immortal Dagger - Part 41
Family - Part 42
Big Enough - Part 43
Endings and Beginnings - Part 44
The Final Task - Part 45
Sacrifices - Part 46
Go Be Amazing - Part 47
Always, Forever - Part 48
Prequel Chapters - Start posting August 18th
Book Three - Now posting
Thank You - Part 50
Character Pictures - Part 51
Watty Awards Shortlist & Other Works

Terms and Conditions - Part 36

600 96 53
By RElizabethM

"That's not going to work," Ryan says and just like that, he's angry again. "The huts are empty; they have a place to go. The realm needs more magic – so much of it has been sucked through down to Hannah." He squeezes my hand, probably trying to make sure I don't start publically weeping over what's happening to him.

"Currently, all the Journeyers are in a form of stasis. But, when they awake from sleeping, they may be angry. I would need for all of them to decide to funnel their magic through Hannah and into you for us to agree to put them back on the Third Realm. It's the only way we'd accept that," the Head Counter continues.

"What would that do to them, to the Journeyers?" I ask.

"It would reduce them to mere pawns in a larger game. It would take them generations to build their magic again. It's a safeguard against an immediate revolt," the Life Line Keeper says, watching all of us carefully. "It would be a re-set of a sort."

"Why would they agree to that?" Maizie asks bewildered.

"Their Journeyer Queen would have to convince them that it's the best way forward," the Time Keeper says, grinning. "Their time has come to rule, it's just not as they expected."

I take a deep breath, push my chair back and start pacing around the room, thinking. I've never convinced anyone of anything and this is huge. Hundreds of people I've never met have to believe that I can be their savior and that I'm not going to let them down. They have to believe that I am their best option, not just their only one.

As I pace, Mason says to the keepers, "You three need to leave while we sort this out. We're not agreeing to this without some sort of plan in place."

When I look up again, Maizie is standing at the edge of the table, Mason is also pacing, Ryan is perched on the desk and everyone looks anxious.

"Could I do that? Could I convince hundreds of people to just let me take their magic?" I ask and then I grab Mason's arm to stop his own pacing. "Is it even possible to hold that much magic?"

"And not go a little bit insane?" Mason asks, looking doubtful. "Absolute power corrupts absolutely – history class – Second Realm. I hated that class, but that quote – nailed it."

I look over at Ryan and he's watching the two of us quietly. Maizie shifts closer to him and pats his back. He gives her a grateful smile and I wonder if my closeness with Mason actually does bother him a little. We've never really had a chance to talk about it.

He gives me a soft smile. "They aren't the only ones that can read minds here, Hannah," he says, nodding in the direction of where the keepers once stood.

"We're okay?" I ask, the rest of the insanity falling away and I can't take my eyes off of him. I need us to be okay more than I need anything else.

He looks at Mason and gives a wry smile. "I have absolute faith that you and Mason can convince a crowd of Journeyers to give up their magic." He looks at Mason. "Without threatening to just kill them all if they won't."

Mason's shoulders slump. "I need a plan B," Mason says, throwing up his hands.

"That was plan A?" I ask, incredulous. "Just when I think you've reformed. The Fourth Realm is in trouble then you get here," I laugh and give Mason a teasing shove. He doesn't laugh though and his smile seems forced.

Ryan looks at me and his eyes soften to the deep cerulean blue that makes my heart melt a little. "You know me, Hannah. I love a little bit of honesty and I think, after years of being stuck wherever they are, they'll appreciate it, too. Tell them about the keepers; tell them about me; tell them about the bond we share; tell them all of it and I can't imagine they won't love you, too."

Maize grabs my hand and Ryan's hand and then looks at Mason who reluctantly takes my other hand and Ryan's hand. "We're in this together," she says. "But, if the truth doesn't work," she holds my gaze, "go back to Mason's plan A." She looks at Ryan and a deep affection shines out of her brown depths. They may not have grown up brother and sister, but facing the chaos on the Third together seems to have bonded them beyond parental ties. "Ryan would never admit this, but the realm will collapse without their agreement. That's the truth. We have to get it no matter what."

I look at Mason. "Do you agree? The whole truth first and if that doesn't work, we go your way?"

Mason grins. "Sounds lovely." He drops our hands, flexes his own hands and cracks his knuckles. "You two saints keep your hands clean and Maizie and I will do all the dirty work." He winks at her and I'm amazed to see heat rising in her cheeks. All those dream meetings have clearly won her over – not that I blame her.

"So, we're agreeing to their terms?" Ryan checks, looking at all of us.

We all nod and then we hear the Life Line Keeper back at the front of the room clearing his throat.

"You're in agreement?" he asks looking at the four of us standing behind the table at the back of the room.

"We are," I say. "Where are the bodies?"

The Life Line Keeper grins. "They're in the Wishing Tree – locked deep inside, sleeping, just waiting for you to wake them up."

I can't believe we were that close this whole time. Then, I remember. My shoulders slump and I feel like we've been tricked again. "But, we need the tree to complete the sequence."

The Life Line Keeper cocks his head and looks at Mason. "Is that true, Mason? Do you need the tree to complete the sequence?"

I look at Mason and grit my teeth. I am getting pretty damn tired of being left out of the loop. It's a good thing I still have those gloves on because I can feel rage surging through me.

Ryan grabs my arm and pulls me back gently so I am standing between his legs and he whispers in my ear, "We're all on the same side. I promise." I look over my shoulder at him and my hands start to cool underneath the gloves.

Mason has gone very still and he looks at the Life Line Keeper for a long time before responding. When he speaks, his voice is even and measured. "If the tree stops writing for some reason, I know what the last move is. It's always the same." He meets my gaze and his eyes are blazing. "But, we have Clara, so we'll be able to heal the tree, even if we have to rip it apart first." He looks back at the Life Line Keeper. "The tree could always change its mind and try something new."

The Life Line Keeper nods but looks amused when he says, "I suppose. The realms are full of surprises. It's what makes being here to watch it all unfold such a delight."

"Yes, having people to fix all your mistakes must be amazing," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Oh, Hannah," the keeper says, smiling, "you don't think people in this room have been fixing yours, too? We all make them. Some are just..." he says, shrugging, "bigger."

That shuts me up and I almost hate him a little bit for it. He isn't wrong. This whole mess started, at least for Ryan, when I opened my mouth and threatened Grayson, his father. I really want to get out of here now and get on with it. The sooner we've done everything we need to do to get out of the First, the sooner I can get back to Ryan. I look at Ryan, his aging face, his graying hair and my heart aches and then I have one last idea.

"There's power in this realm, right?" I ask the Life Line Keeper.

He looks at me for a long time and then he says carefully, "Yes, but it is not infinite and not to be played with; it would disrupt the balance."

I look at him for a long moment and say, "I can either take it by channeling it without your consent, or you can top Ryan up right now. You don't have to restore it all, but enough that he's okay. I need to know he's okay if I'm going back down there."

He waves his hand and a woman appears at his side. I don't recognize her, but she's dressed like a Second Realm yoga instructor that, in any other circumstance, would have made me laugh. Her black hair is tied back and her eyes are a strange shade of orange. She comes towards Ryan and reaches out her hand to give him some power and I watch as the gray hairs darken and the facial lines recede. He's still thin, but he looks better again.

The woman disappears instantly, the same way she appeared. I know why they didn't let him take the power himself. They'd be worried he'd take too much; like a vampire feeding for the first time.

"You knew?" I ask the keeper, surprised that the woman appeared and disappeared so quickly.

He smiles. "It's been bubbling at the back of your subconscious this whole time; how can I make Ryan better?" He shrugs. "Every once in a while, I feel a twinge for that old romantic love I once felt. This isn't because you demanded it or threatened me; it's because I was going to do it anyway. Consider it a parting gift."

I shake my head at the keeper and throw my arms around Ryan's neck, giving him my first and last deep kiss since we arrived. I am comforted by the strength in his hands and arms as he pulls me closer. I don't care that Maizie and Mason are forced to watch all I care about is that he's going to be okay. We just have to make it out of the First Realm alive.

I pull back and look into his eyes. "I'm coming for you. Nothing is going to stop me from jumping in that portal and coming home to you."

He grins and brushes my face gently. "I'm counting on it." He leans forward and kisses me one last time before disappearing into thin air.

I step back and look at Mason. "We're really doing this?" I ask.

He looks grim when he returns my look. "Looks like, Queenie. Once more unto the breach, my dear friend."

"You enjoyed school way too much on the Second Realm," I tease, shaking my head.

He grins. "It wasn't all bad," he says. "Now, let's get going. I have some scores to settle."

The last thing I see before I close my eyes is the grim determination in his eyes.

Author's Note:

Was there anything surprising in the terms the group set for the keepers? What score is Mason planning to settle? Do you have a favourite character?

Vote. Comment. Follow. I'd love to hear from you. :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

327 8 4
Meet Emma Rodriguez. Also known as the 'bad girl.' The girl everyone fears. Hell, even the teachers are afraid of her. She cares about nothing, only...
123K 3.8K 27
Sequel to Bad Girl + Bad Boy "For God's sake Josh what do you want from me. You already broke me what else is there to it!?" I asked trying to get ou...
544K 28.9K 50
There is a darkness that lurks inside of me. The evil that runs through my veins is a constant reminder of the ruthless killer I once was. But someh...
958K 39.3K 31
[Book #1 in the Blackwood Pack series] Currently in the process of rewriting (it'll be uploaded as a separate book) ________________ ...