The Devil's Tear

By antheias

"Once the mirror is reunited with the tear, The Devil will ascend once again." In a mirror, the spirit of a d... More

Chapter 1- Prologue
Chapter 2- Sleeping Beauty
Chapter 3- Peculiar
Chapter 4- Convinced
Chapter 5- The Tale of the Devil
Chapter 6- An Unknown Figure
Chapter 7- An Unexpected Savior
Chapter 8- Revelation
Chapter 9- Goodbye
Chapter 10- Periwinkle Sky
Chapter 11- Confusion
Chapter 12- Arising Mysteries
Chapter 13- Vesta's Conclusion
Chapter 14- Exedras
Chapter 15- Living Dead
Chapter 16- Another Trick
Chapter 17- End
Chapter 18- Exposed
Chapter 19- A Mother's Sacrifice
Chapter 20- A New Mission
Chapter 21- Madness
Chapter 22- Capture
Chapter 23- Hopeful Reunion
Chapter 24- Wrong Destination
Chapter 25- The Dragon King
Chapter 26- Established Lemare
Chapter 27- Risky Tactics
Chapter 28- Ariadne Ellery
Chapter 29- Interruption
Chapter 30- Obligation
Chapter 31- Failed
Chapter 32- Disasters
Chapter 33- Warnings
Chapter 34- Ixeldra
Chapter 35- Rescue
Chapter 36- Intent
Chapter 37- The Deadly Duo and The Exedras Twins
Chapter 38- Past Sacrifices
Chapter 39- Live
Chapter 40- Persevere
Chapter 41- War I
Chapter 42- Conditions
Chapter 43- Clarified Plans
Chapter 44- Uncovered
Chapter 45- Reunion
Chapter 46- Losse Armont
Chapter 47- Gathering
Chapter 48- Game
Chapter 49- Identity
Chapter 50- The Queen Returns
Chapter 52- Extraction
Chapter 53- Colourless Flower
Chapter 54- Extent
Chapter 55- Of Love and Hope
Chapter 56- Procession
Chapter 57- War II
Chapter 58- Reawakening of a King
Chapter 59- Sacrifices
Chapter 60 (final)- Forevermore

Chapter 51- The Queen's Entrance

936 13 7
By antheias

                Alexei watched as every face involved in the ‘game’ raced inside the room, enthusiasm and relief obvious in the fluidity of their movement. He leaned against the wall, his heart beating rapidly. The marble wall’s coolness penetrated his thin tunic, sending chills racing down his back.

                Artemis and Allegra lingered in the far corner of the oval shaped hall. His light blue eyes scanned the rest of the room, landing on Cytheria’s relaxed figure. She tugged on Marklen’s sleeve, whispering to him with twinkling excitement.

                Marklen’s tall, muscular figure towered over Cytheria, but his soft features gave away the delicateness of his heart.

                Alexei felt a smile creep onto his lips. The way Marklen’s deep brown eyes followed Cytheria’s every motion reassured him, rather than spark jealousy. Cytheria was Alexei’s fiancée, after all.

                When he sensed the powerful aura nearing the gathered crowd, Alexei quickly abandoned his irrelevant thoughts.

                In complete cadence, the entire body knelt. Alexei stared at the ground, hearing the footsteps of all four Queens echoing in the domed palace hall.

                Alexei subtly lifted his gaze. First, Vesta appeared around the arched doorway leading directly into the gathering. She staggered, moving aside to allow the Exedras twins passage.

                Behind them, the twirling midnight blue hair flashed before Cornelia’s actual figure. Her almond eyes conveyed wisdom and keenness. Everyone unconsciously held their breath. Alexei heard sudden quick breathing across from him, and was tempted to search for its source.

                Instead, he was unable to tear his gaze from the excessive grace and elegance that Queen Cornelia radiated. He was sure the others experienced it as well.

                “Rise,” her deep, strength-imbued voice whizzed through the still air like a flash of thunder. Heads rose in complete obedience and silence.

                Unexpectedly, Cornelia clicked her tongue. “You all are so stiff.”

                Alexei felt the tension decrease by a miniscule percentage. His own chest was lighter. A thought struck him. Where was Rosy?

                As if Cornelia scanned his thoughts, she penetrated the still crowd, opening a path to the wide-eyed, stressed Rosy.

                Cornelia’s amaranthine eyes softened. “Beautiful little Euphrosyne.”

                Rosy stepped backwards, bumping into Arisa. Cornelia flicked her thick hair over her shoulders, bending to level her eyes with Rosy.

                “Come, Euphrosyne,” she extended her arms. “Come to me.”

                Rosy’s tiny frame shook in fear. “N-no.”

                Cornelia’s long fingers stretched towards Rosy’s face. The young girl quickly shut her eyes as the queen’s fingers gently caressed her cheek. Her tender touch calmed Rosy; the trembling gradually decreased to nothing.

                “It’s a pleasure to finally meet you,” Cornelia whispered, pushing herself forward. Rosy blinked, speechless.

                “My reincarnation,” the queen smiled ambiguously, “Is so innocently beautiful.”

                Rosy’s tanned cheeks turned pink. In response, the queen chuckled, forming a breathtaking melody. Cornelia stood up, abrupt in her action. “Will you all please loosen up?”

                No one stirred.

                Cornelia shook her head in exasperation, turning to face her fellow Queens. “Are they always like this?”

                A chuckle involuntarily escaped Alexei’s parted lips. Cornelia’s head turned to him, her lips forming a smirk. “Alexei.”

                Alexei straightened his posture, raising an eyebrow in amusement. “My Queen.”

                “Such impudence,” Cornelia laughed, “Just like Ciceron.”

                The sound of her laughter released the spell on the room. The gathered slowly began to relax, approaching the Queen in respect and in admiration. Cornelia appeared to enjoy each and every one of their inquiries and company.

                Alexei smiled, leaning back against the same part of the wall. In a room full of hopeful souls, his veins pulsated in anticipation.

                They had executed one of their moves.

                The battle had finally commenced.

                -

                Alexei Isaura twisted his neck, wincing at the pain that thundered down his spine. He’d been sitting in an uncomfortable chair for too long.

                A portrait of his father hung loosely on the dull wall facing him. The average-sized chamber was littered with tomes, manuals, weapons, and scrolls. In the corner was an open chest holding all of his clothes.

                Alexei sighed. He would embark on his journey soon. The journey to Bahamut’s Lair would not be easy, he was convinced. His mission there would be infinitely harder to accomplish. To overcome the Bahamut’s might was only mentioned in legends, tales of ancient heroes, and fictional stories. To seize his power seemed even more unrealistic.

                On his left, a knock sounded on the thick wooden door. He stepped out of the chair, twisting the nod.

                It was her, always.

                A girl a year younger than himself stood with her fingers interlaced at her chest. Her wide grey eyes lit up, exactly matching the shade of her straight hair. She smiled, loosening her fingers and allowing her arms to drop to her sides.

                “Cytheria,” Alexei raised a brow in inquiry, “Do you need something?”

                Her smile diminished. “I was just checking on you.”

                Alexei stepped aside, granting her permission to enter his humble abode. Without hesitation, young Cytheria stepped inside. As usual, her first expression when inspecting the messy environment was a disapproving frown.

                “You should clean up more often,” she shook her head, dropping her gaze onto the open scrolls and books on the desk.

                “Bahamut’s Lair?” Cytheria said uncertainly. “You’re not actually planning to go there, are you?”

                Alexei folded his arms across his chest. “Of course I am.”

                The girl’s forehead scrunched up in worry. “You’re a fool.”

                “Why are you in love with a fool?” Alexei smirked, cornering her. Cytheria’s strength vanished under his dark, amused gaze. She shied away, averting her eyes. Alexei pressed her against the side of the desk, letting the tips of her hair brush the page that illustrated the mighty Bahamut.

                “Well?” He urged a response, leaning closer.

                “I-I,” Cytheria stuttered, staring listlessly at his chest. “Alexei…”

                She trailed off, and shut her mouth. Alexei chuckled, lifting her face with his index finger. “Why have you promised yourself to a fool?”

                Cytheria frowned, “I love that fool.”

                He was satisfied with the reply, and bent his face. Teasingly, his lips brushed across hers. She groaned, grabbing a fistful of his hair and kissing him deeply.

                It was their final kiss before Alexei departed for Bahamut’s Lair, where he would spend years.

                Love does not fade, Cytheria had thought. She had truly loved Alexei, as he did her.

                -

                Alexei clenched his fists. Why did these memories choose to resurface so suddenly?

                A hand slapped his arm, snapping him successfully out of his painful train of thought. He saw Artemis’ dull black eyes staring with curiosity.

                “What’s wrong?” She inquired innocently. Alexei felt his heart melt under her gaze.

                Love does not fade, unless overcome by another.

                -

 A/N: Aww, I didn't want to end it off like that, but I uploaded anyway. >-< 

Thank you for reading~ It's past the 50-chapter mark, and very quickly nearing its determined end~ 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.9K 1.6K 36
Y/n Fullbuster the daughter of the powerful wizards Gray and Juvia, she was raised at the Magnolia where her parents grew up with and she was also th...
1K 29 17
Dawn Davis is an eighteen-year-old girl. Or, at least, she was, until the horrible horse accident that lead to her death. Now, she's a three-hundre...
585 33 23
In fixing up the Granger home before returning her parents memories, Hermione comes across the antique mirror in the attic, only to find herself in a...
1.3K 126 10
Mirror, Mirror, on the wall, You'll turn ruby as you fall... Mirror, Mirror, on the wall, No more fairest of them all... ~~~ Ebony lives in the Mirro...