Chapter 54- Extent

The man descended before her, clad in black with prominent, gleaming fire eyes.

                His smile sent shivers down her spine, but he seemed too familiar. Euphrosyne squinted, inching closer though she could not feel her physical self. It was as if her soul was lingering in an empty white space.

                The details on his face became apparent. There was no detectable flaw, only the fear he caused to arise in every molecule of her body. She wanted him to leave.

                “Euphrosyne Rains,” he mouthed. She felt a pang, as if a hard metal object had struck the top of her head. But she could not react. She had no mouth to speak with.

                “Lovely, innocent girl,” he whispered. Her floating form boiled, not with anger, but as a result of words escaping his lips. It was overwhelming, strong like a tidal wave crushing a tree with weak roots.  

                “Do you want to see the scope of my reign?” He inquired, still in a whisper. Euphrosyne wanted to shake her head, feeling impending doom.

                A hazy image formed beside Him, depicting the quiet figures of almost everyone involved in His game. Rosy spotted Artemis, Allegra, Losse, her mother, Alexei, Cytheria, Marklen, Oakser, Ariadne, the Four Queens… They were all present except Demetri, who was unconscious.

                Euphrosyne wanted to call out to them, to soothe them and rid their hearts of anxiety. Yet, it was impossible for her to speak.

                The Devil smiled. It was calm and composed.

                “Let me show you.”

                -

                Ariadne Ellery watched every person in the hall with curiosity. It was intriguing to measure their anxiety based on their posture. Her brother stood closely beside her, with his hand in hers. She could tell with ease that he was frightened.

                She smiled down at him, brushing his hair behind his ears. He was intelligent, too intelligent, and she was always proud of it. What had caused their deaths had been his foolish curiosity and desire for entertainment, but somehow, she could never be angry with her little brother.

                Oakser looked up, his bright gold eyes glittering. Ariadne bent, pecking him on the forehead. He kissed her cheek in response, hugging her closer.

                The two noticed warm eyes on them, and Oakser almost blushed. Queen Cornelia regarded them with absolute amusement. Artemis’s mind was occupied elsewhere, though she faced Alexei’s leaning figure.

                Ariadne felt her brother stiffen under her hold. With alarm, she looked at him. “Oakser? What’s wrong?”

                His hands trembled violently, followed by his knees giving way. Ariadne slipped her arm around him, supporting his weight. Alexei dashed across the room, lifting Oakser by wrapping his arms around his torso. The boy’s eyes were rolling back and forth in their sockets; it was a repulsive sight.

                Ariadne’s heart clenched, and she felt her own knees buckle. Beside her, Artemis appeared to hold her arm.

                “What’s wrong with him?” She demanded. Losse moved to Oakser’s other side. Alexei shifted, allowed Losse to put a hand over the young boy’s chest and rip open his thin shirt. He paled visibly, his jade eyes losing their sparkle.