Chapter 25- The Dragon King

Alexei opened his eyes, feeling extremely light-headed. He tried to move his arms, but they were chained. Why were they chained? Where was he? A woman, with long, braided silver hair, was pacing the room, chanting words from a small black book. There were two coffins placed beside each other on the damp, blue-black ground, elaborately decorated with jewels and patterned with silver. The cover of the coffins had gold plates, with two names engraved on them. Alexei squinted to make out the letters.

Queen Beatrice Exedras, the Golden State of Beatrisia.

Queen Fortuna Exedras, the Silver State of Fortunia.

Alexei’s breathing came quickly as his memories began returning. He blinked twice, bile rising to his throat. Usually, his midnight blue eye could see everything clearer than his sky blue one, but now he noted no difference. His eye’s abilities were granted by the beast within him, the Bahamut. He could sense even the slightest of energy over the largest of expanses. The chains began clattering, betraying his shaking figure.

“You’re awake already?” Vesta asked quietly and warmly. A roar, a dragon’s roar, sounded in Alexei’s ears, shaking the entire room. The coffins shook slightly at the impact of the roar, but Vesta was absolutely unfazed.

“Oh, dear. He’s rebelling again,” Vesta shook her head. Alexei attempted to rid his throat of the heavy and sticky lump that had formed.

“Don’t make that face,” Vesta frowned. “You’ll be free in a jiffy.”

“The beast,” Alexei managed to croak.

“He’s free,” a small smile crept onto Vesta’s lips. “It wasn’t too hard, using the extraction ritual. All I had to do was take your blood, and chant some meaningless verses, among some other processes.”

“How is he so calm?” Alexei demanded disbelievingly. The dragon should have burnt the Castle to pieces by now, if he had been forced out of his vessel.

“I’ve got twenty of my best mages restraining him,” Vesta slammed the black book shut. “Two have already gotten killed.”

“How long has it been, since his release?” Alexei asked, in a dead and gloomy tone.

“Fifty-seven minutes,” Vesta replied, stroking Beatrice’s coffin with her forefinger. Alexei eyed the two coffins in alarm. Under no circumstances were Beatrice and Fortuna allowed to reawaken.

“Where is Cytheria?” Alexei demanded.

“In a separate cell,” Vesta replied instantly, “She was obviously planning to interfere.”

She waved a finger at him, and his arms were released from the chains. He flexed his muscles, relieved. Vesta beckoned him towards the entrance of the cell. “Do you want to see him? The Dragon King?”

Alexei was bewildered at her soft and kind treatment, but nodded before she could change her mind. The bowl of icy cold water at the corner of the cell sent his heart racing as an idea popped up into his head. He slowly walked to it, and stared expectantly at his reflection. His eyes were no longer mismatched, he noted with a desolate expression.

“Quickly, now,” Vesta prodded, “I have to carry out the next ritual as soon as possible.”

Alexei staggered across the cell and towards the entrance of the dungeon. Bright, warm sunlight shone through the slightly open door, which Vesta completely pushed out of the way. Alexei shut his eyes to the blinding light, letting the warmth envelop his body. He snapped his eyes open at a small growl. The large expanse was surrounded by an invisible barrier which encircled the beast. Outside the barrier, millions of figures stood, staring at the humungous dragon in awe.

Twenty lines of dark, black liquid were drawn outward on the grass. At the ends of each line mages, holding their arms out, stood with calm expressions on their faces.

Two of the mages were lying still on the ground. All their energy must have been consumed. In the air, light, glowing pink ropes of light restrained the beast’s limbs and wings. The glowing ropes led straight into the ground. A large, metal cover had been placed over the Bahamut’s mouth, disallowing it to shoot fire out.

The beast itself was the beauty. Vesta was completely entranced, her eyes glittering.  Its humongous wings flapped restlessly, blowing away grains of sand and grass. The dangerous tail was wrapped with chains, deep into the ground. The scales that adorned its head and back were turquoise, and its chest and stomach were decorated with jewels.

Bahamut's fierce, slit, fiery eyes bore straight into Alexei’s, the metal cover over its mouth trembling under pressure. The marvelous wings were white on the inside, with five, dark lines passing along their lengths.

The outside was muddy emerald, shining and glittering in the harsh sunlight. The tail, frighteningly thick and heavy-looking, was desperately trying to break away from the chains. Jade spikes shot out from its head and back.

“He’s beautiful, isn’t he?” Vesta sighed. “He was named ‘Bahamut’ because of his resemblance to the real Bahamut watching over us from the Seven Heavens.”

“Is he going to die?” Alexei murmured, still staring into the dragon’s fiery eyes.

“Not necessarily,” Vesta shook her head, “If he holds out until the Queens awaken, I’ll have him taken back to his Lair.”

In the midst of the crowd gathered to watch the fascinating beast, Alexei caught a glimpse of three familiar figures. His eyes widened; Artemis, Demetri, and Allegra stared at the beast in horror.

“Why aren’t I dead?” Alexei remembered, “If I remember, extraction rituals are supposed to kill the source of extraction.”

“I wonder. Even I expected you to die,” Vesta sighed, “I guess the Dragon King truly valued your life, and saved you, Alexei Isaura...”

A/N: Well, were you bored? 

It's New Year's Eve for me~ So I wish you all a Happy New Year. May all of you succeed in everything you do in 2011! :D