The Lady Justice

By SLGrey2904

*Sequel to The Lady Knight* As the heiress presumptive of Monrique's largest duchy and a Lady Justice in trai... More

Prologue : The Beginning Of An End
Chapter I : To Break, And Be Broken
Chapter II: I Feel, I Feel Not
Chapter III: To Welcome, And Be Welcomed
Chapter IV: I Accept, I Accept Not
Chapter V: To Meet, And Be Met
Chapter VI: I Convince, I Convince Not
Chapter VII: To Introduce, And Be Introduced
Chapter VIII: I Care, I Care Not
Chapter IX: To Coax, And Be Coaxed
Chapter X: I Save, I Save Not
Chapter XI: Strolls and Secrecies
Chapter XII: I Argue, I Argue Not
Chapter XIV: I Refuse, I Refuse Not
Chapter XV: To Fight, And Be Fought
Chapter XVI: I Remember, I Remember Not
Chapter XVII: To Thank, And Be Thanked
Chapter XVIII: I Threaten, I Threaten Not
Chapter XIX: Finding Our Way Home
Chapter XX: I Prepare, I Prepare Not
Chapter XXI: To Find, And Be Found
Chapter XXII: I Dance, I Dance Not
Chapter XXIV: To Feel, And Be Felt
Chapter XXV: I Rally, I Rally Not
Chapter XXVI: To Interrogate, and Be Interrogated
Chapter XXVII: The Beginning of the Middle
Chapter XXVII: I Reveal, I Reveal Not
Chapter XXVIII: To Invite, And Be Invited
Chapter XXIX: I Grieve, I Grieve Not
Chapter XXX: To Discover, And Be Discovered
Chapter XXXI: My Darling Duchess
Chapter XXXII: I Brace, I Brace Not
Chapter XXXIII: To Arrest, And Be Arrested
Chapter XXXIV: I Accede, I Accede Not
Chapter XXXV: To Force, And Be Forced
Chapter XXXVI: I Took Matters Into My Own Hands
Chapter XXXVII: I Blame, I Blame Not
Chapter XXXVIII: To Defend, And Be Defended
Chapter XXXIX: I Love, I Love Not
Chapter XL: To Suspect, And Be Suspected
Chapter XLI: Drifting
Chapter XLII: To Wheedle, And Be Wheedled
Chapter XLIII: I Propose, I Propose Not
Chapter XLIV: To Enjoy, And Be Enjoyed
Chapter XLV: I Present, I Present Not
Chapter XLVI: Of Pride and Prejudice
Chapter XLVII: I Risk, I Risk Not
Chapter XLVIII: To Accuse, And Be Accused
Chapter XLIX: The End of the Beginning
Chapter L: We Win, We Win Not
Chapter LI: To Visit, And Be Visited
Chapter LII: I Leave, I Leave Not
Chapter LIII: To Know, And Be Known
Epilogue: New Beginnings (1)
Epilogue: New Beginnings (2)
Bonus Chapter: Coming Home

Chapter XIII: To Befriend, And Be Befriended

5.7K 446 26
By SLGrey2904

Lady Katherine Harrington of Johanne

11 October, Year 1 of Sebastian VI, Emperor of the Longbournian Nations' reign

Longbourne Military Academy for Women, Amöneburg

The Longbournian Nations

I scowled, annoyed, as I wrung out my wet curls over and over again with a towel.

"My hair will never dry at this rate," I groaned, collapsing onto a nearby armchair, "I have wasted an hour in front of the fireplace, and it is still as wet as it was when I washed it!"

Corporal Montgomery tossed a glance at me from her bed, completely unsympathetic. "Well, who asked you to roll about in the mud with the Emperor's dog at this time of the night?"

A naughty gleam entered Corporal Baudelaire's eyes. "And with the Emperor, no less?"

"Ha ha, very amusing," I muttered wryly, rolling my eyes, "I am going to the receiving hall. There is a bigger fireplace there." With that, I grabbed my towel and a candle, and strode out of our quarters, and down the stairs, towards the receiving hall.

It was past curfew for our students, so the hall was thankfully empty. I kneeled down in front of the fireplace, and started a fire. Flipping my hair forward, I began to try and dry it with the towel.

After a few minutes, the wonderful aroma of apple strudels began to waft up my nose.

I ignored it, shaking my head. The smell probably came from my hair. When Tiny had pushed me into the mud, I was certain I had tumbled in her plate of apple strudels too. However, it soon became stronger and stronger, and soon enough, I heard the sound of footsteps approaching me.

"Come, Tiny."

I lifted my head up at the sound of the voice, startled. Emperor Sebastian, who had rinsed himself clean of mud and had donned fresh clothes, came to a stop on my right.

"Sire?"

However, he was not looking at me. He was staring as sternly as he could down at Tiny, who was padding behind him. She held a plate of steaming hot apple strudels in her mouth, which she placed gently in front of me, and took a step back.

The Emperor cleared his throat. "Well, go on, old girl."

Tiny leaned against her hind legs and lowered her head. What sounded like a whine left her throat, which, I could only suppose, was her way of apologising for running away with my plate of apple strudels earlier that evening.

I was touched.

Setting aside the plate, I leaned forward and held her head in my hands, running my hands through her snow-white fur. "Oh, are you not the sweetest?" I smiled softly, "all is well and forgiven."

I was answered by a delighted bark and a lick on my nose, and she rolled on her back to lie on my lap, despite the fact that she was much too big to fit there comfortably.

I rubbed her tummy, and laughed, hugging her tightly. "Your Imperial Majesty, I do believe she likes me," I declared gleefully, grinning up at the Emperor, who was gazing at us with amusement.

"She is very friendly with everyone," he chuckled, "you had best finish that plate before she does, Mistress Harrington."

"You know, Sire, I think I will share it with her," I decided, sitting upright, "I am in a generous mood today."

He raised an eyebrow. "Share? She will finish that in two licks."

I waved off his concern. "You are welcome to join us too, Sire," I grinned up at him, before, "Tiny, come, let us have some overdue dessert."

Her ears perked up at dessert. She climbed out of my lap, and sat on her bottom next to me, expectant, while the Emperor sat across us, cross-legged.

I reached for the plate and grabbed hold of the table spoon on it, and took a mouthful of the dessert. I closed my eyes, feeling bliss spread to every corner of my being, as the taste exploded in my mouth.

"And she is done," I heard the Emperor snicker, "did I not tell you she will finish it, Mistress Harrington?"

I opened my eyes, to find my plate completely empty. For a long moment, I simply stared at the happily wagging Tiny next to me, unable to believe my eyes that I had allowed this to happen again.

The Emperor burst out laughing at the dismay on my face.

"How do she eat so soundlessly?" I wondered, stroking Tiny's back, "and without making a mess?"

"Force of habit," the Emperor was still laughing away, "she has attended state dinners with me when I had been a Crown Prince, and still does, and she learned to be on her best behaviour."

"I see," I released a loud sigh, "oh, well, at least I had one spoonful," I shrugged good-naturedly.

His sea-green eyes twinkled. "And it is sufficient?"

"It will have to do for now," I mused, a plan already forming on my mind, "I will convince the Cook to prepare it again for tomorrow's dessert for dinner, no worries."

"Well, I wish you all the best, Mistress Harrington."

"Why, thank you," I chuckled.

Shaking his head in amusement, he glanced at his timepiece and stood up. "I had best return to the Palace now, Mistress Harrington," he inclined his head, "once again, I am sorry for all the trouble Tiny has caused today."

He patted Tiny's head fondly, and nodded at his guards who were waiting in the periphery to prepare for the journey to the Palace.

"That is all right," I was cheerful, "she is quite a dear."

I wrapped my arms around her neck, for which I received a happy lick on the cheek. She was then brought away by the Emperor's guards, who walked out through the front door, towards the stables.

"Have a safe journey home, Sire," I wished him, "good night."

He glanced at his timepiece again, thoughtful. "I daresay I can spare a few more minutes while the horses are being prepared for the journey," he returned my smile, and held out an arm, "would you care to join me for a walk outside, Mistress Harrington?"

***

"Sire, will you remember me in a week's time?"

My hand was tucked in the crook of the Emperor's elbow, as we strolled across the training grounds. A gentle breeze drew us forward, relieving some of the humidity in the air.

His forehead creased, confused. "What kind of a question is that?"

"How about in a month's time?"

He tilted his head at me, genuinely concerned for my sanity.

"Please answer my question, Sire," I fought to maintain a straight countenance.

"Aye, of course I will remember you, Mistress Harrington," he nodded, frowning, unable to see where this was going.

"Knock-knock."

He was bewildered. "Who is there?"

"Me."

"Me who?"

"See, you have forgotten me already," I sighed, "tsk, tsk, I am most disappointed in you, Your Imperial Majesty." I pretended to scowl, before I gave way to snickers.

It took him a few moments to understand the jest, before he chuckled in amusement yet again that evening.

"Is this also one of your brother Tristan's knock-knock jests?" he guessed, grinning, "they are very good, and I love how they always deviate from the usual structure."

"Indeed it is, Sire," I declared proudly, "he comes up with the best knock-knock jests in all of Johanne."

"I do not doubt it," he laughed, before, "you must miss him a great deal, Mistress Harrington." He observed me with a soft smile.

I was embarrassed. "Is it that obvious, Sire?"

"You have been telling me his knock-knock jests all throughout our walk," he pointed out, his eyes twinkling, "I could not help but guess."

"Well, you are right, Sire."

He tilted his head at me, curious. "Have you never been away from your family before, Mistress Harrington?"

"I have. I had been teaching in Bordeux for a year before this, Your Imperial Majesty," I admitted, "but at that time, I could get on a horse and ride home to Johanne within two days whenever I missed them – or one day, if I rode at full speed and without taking a break."

"However, this ocean that separates Amöneburg from Monrique feels rather large," I reflected quietly, looking away, "too large, sometimes."

A small silence reigned, as the Emperor nodded in understanding, deep in thought.

I checked myself, and shook myself out of my reverie. "And I have succeeded in putting a damper on our conversation," I chuckled faintly, "my apologies, Sire. 'Tis your turn to tell me a knock-knock jest." I offered.

He shook his head. I had almost forgotten that my hand was tucked in his elbow, until he straightened his arm and gently took my hand in his.

Startled by the sudden warmth, I glanced at him, but he seemed at ease, as always, as he tugged me in the opposite direction from where we were walking.

"Sire, where are we going?" my forehead creased.

"No questions, Mistress Harrington," he gave me a cheerful smile, "just come with me."

With that, he took long, swift strides across the grounds, leading me to the very highest tower of the Academy. We ascended the spiral stairways, and with every step towards the top, I felt a little uneasy.

I never liked heights, and this tower was one of the tallest in the area –

We eventually reached the top, and he pushed the door open. A strong gust of wind whipped my hair, chilling me to my very bones.

Releasing my hand, the Emperor walked over to the parapet on the other end, expecting me to follow him. He then climbed over it and sat on the edge, swinging his long legs in the air like a child.

My legs froze at the door. I was not going up there.

When he realised I had stopped where he had left me, he turned around to frown at me. "What are you doing there still, Mistress Harrington?" he queried, "come, sit next to me."

"I am perfectly fine here, Your Imperial Majesty," I assured him hastily, taking another step back.

He was confused.

"The ground is too far away from up there," I muttered, kicking my shoes in embarrassment.

His sea-green eyes cleared. "'Tis nothing, Mistress Harrington," he reassured me, "nothing frightening. See? I am sitting here, and I am fine. Nothing has happened to me."

I viewed the parapet with open mistrust. "Yet."

"You will not fall over. You will be safe," he promised, meaning every word of it, "I will make sure of it." He held a hand out towards me.

I still hesitated.

"Come, Katherine," his voice was soft, as he called me by my given name.

Mayhap that did it. Or mayhap it was the way his sea-green eyes held my gaze, calm and steady, as they had when I had saved him from his kidnapper a few days ago.

I did not know what eventually possessed my legs to move forward, but they did, slowly and unsteadily towards him.

He beamed widely at me, as he helped me up onto the parapet, and kept a strong grip on my trembling hand even after I was seated next to him.

"Is it not wonderful, Mistress Harrington?" he declared happily, "this was my favourite place in this Palace when I used to live here. Close your eyes, and simply enjoy the wind."

To prove his point, he let go of my hand and spread his arms out wide, almost hitting me in the process. He proceeded to close his eyes, and sway with the cool breeze, smiling slightly to himself.

If he had done this on one of the archery mounts, I would have most definitely tried it alongside him. He truly looked like a little child who was allowed outside on a winter morning for the very first time, and it was rather amusing.

However, up here, more than seventy feet above the ground, I was beginning to panic. I looked around me for something to hold on to, so that I would not pitch forward and fall to my death. By the Lord, one careless glance at the ground was enough to make my head spin -

Before I could fully give in to the panic, I felt him take my hand in his again. "Easy, easy," he laughed, patting my hand, "there is no need to look below if you do not wish to. I brought you here to have a clear view of the moon." He pointed to the skies.

I tilted my head up to where he was pointing. After the thunderstorm that morning, the dark blue skies were clear of all clouds, and were beautifully dotted with many small, sparkling stars. In their midst hung a crescent-shaped moon, in all her pure white glory.

"The moon, Sire?"

"Whenever I travel and I start to miss my family, I need only look up at the moon at night, wherever I am," he explained cheerfully, "because I know, thousands of miles away, they would also be looking at the same moon, remembering me."

I tilted my head. "And that makes you feel better?"

He nodded. "When you can look at the same object from two different places," he grinned, "then are those two places truly that far away from each other, Mistress Harrington? Is your family truly so far away from you – physically, at least - as you think they are?"

I pondered over it. "Touché."

Truth be told, I could not even think of the Dowager Empress doing so, but I could imagine the Emperor seeking out the moon on a high tower such as this one, when he was in low spirits and missing his family.

More importantly, I could imagine little Tristan looking up at the skies this very moment from his bed, through the window on his left, as my mother or Jacques told him a bedtime tale to lull him to sleep.

The very same moon I was gazing at this instant.

With the image of the crescent fixed behind my eyelids, I slowly closed my eyes. "Sweet dreams, Tristan," I allowed the wind to carry my words forth, warm and soft.

***

Five.

I jumped off my horse, and thrust the reins into the hands of one of the waiting stable boys near the stables.

Four.

Ignoring the puzzled looks of the Palace staff in the gardens, I circled the perimeter of the palace to reach the entrance, heedless of the mud puddles in my way.

Three.

I leaped over the small water fountains that lined the courtyard of the palace, and jumped up the marble stairs at the entrance two steps at a time.

Two.

Deftly avoiding the many people who were gathered around, even at this early hour in the morning, I made a beeline for the stairways at the corner, and rushed upstairs.

One.

I skidded to a stop at the third chamber to the left from the second-floor landing, took a deep breath, adjusted my beret over my head, and knocked on the door.

Made it. Lady Fortune was on my side today.

"Yes, come in!"

I entered the chamber, where most of my colleagues who were on Palace duty today were already assembled, together with Captain Keitel.

"Ah, Mistress Harrington," she greeted me, glancing at her timepiece, "right on time."

I smiled faintly, discreetly wiping away the drop of perspiration that was trickling down the side of my head.

That was too close. Having to wake up at the crack of dawn was still a novel concept to me. When I had been in Monrique, I mostly trained my students in the evening, so I had the freedom to wake up as late as I liked.

However, it was the exact opposite here.

"Mistress Harrington," her voice now pulled me out of my reverie, "you will be guarding the Dowager Empress's boudoir today, from dawn to dusk, together with Corporals Johnson and Johnson." At her words, a pair of identical Corporals stepped forward, and nodded their heads at me in synchronisation.

I inclined my head at them, as I hid my dismay. The Dowager Empress's boudoir?!

By God, my elders had spoken true. Lady Fortune never struck twice. Just when I hoped I could avoid the horrible Dowager Empress for the rest of my time here in Amöneburg -

However, I knew better than to complain against an order from a superior. "Aye, ma'am," I executed a sharp salute, "may the Corporals and I be excused?"

"You may," she nodded, "and all three of you, please do return to the Academy before sundown for the evening training session."

Corporals Johnson and Johnson executed their salutes as well, before they followed me out of the chamber. When they closed the door behind them, they offered me friendly smiles, as we walked down the corridor together towards the Dowager Empress's chambers.

"Good morning. You must be the new Archery mistress," one of them greeted me cheerfully, "I am Roberta."

"And I am Jaime," her sister grinned.

"It is very nice to meet you both. I am Katherine," I introduced myself, chuckling, "I think you must be tired of hearing this, but how do I tell you both apart?"

The twins exchanged impish looks across me. "Half the fun of being twins lies in that," Jaime laughed, "it simply would not do to give the game away so soon, would it?"

"Even the Academy gave up after a few weeks," Roberta added, "and simply refers to us now as Corporals Johnson and Johnson."

"But I think I will be able to tell you apart by the end of this evening," I mused, amused, as we turned a corner.

"You sound very confident," she snickered.

"How about a bet?" I challenged, "ten plates of apple strudels say I can do it." My mouth watered when I remembered the spoonful I managed to eat last night, before Tiny had finished it all.

"Done," Jaime agreed immediately, "if you win, we will each buy you ten plates of apple strudels. The reverse applies if you do not."

At that moment, we reached the Dowager Empress's chambers. I felt the same sense of dread return and fill my body, as it had when I had last left these rooms a couple of days ago.

"Let us shake on it, then," Roberta held out her hand.

Jaime and I shook it together once, grinning, before we faced the male guards at the door.

You can do this, Kat.

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

319K 25.5K 35
A new system of marriage for the prince has been made in the kingdom Taraxac: The Dandelion System. When Karlina Dearcage makes a deal with the manip...
436K 31.7K 85
Marguerite, the former Duchess of Torrinni, receives two letters that will change the course of her life forever; and that will impact young CĂ©leste...
12.2K 320 34
'Don't Mess with the Dress...' *** For twelve years, Arianne d'Artagnan has been in the midst of the English Civil War and after disaster struck, she...
217K 15.3K 54
**SEQUEL TO HER SISTER'S FIANCÉ** ***This story has been officially copyrighted, so steal at your own risk!*** London of the mid 19th century: a city...