Of Light and Shadows • Jace W...

By Biyu99

"'Cause life's a game to me but with only one controller, and he's unhappy. So please, please, please won't y... More

01 Birthday girls
02 Weird mom
03 Birthday Party
05 Shadowhunter?
06 The Circle
07 Kiss and Make-up
08 Dot
09 The City of Bones

04 Panic

1.2K 44 0
By Biyu99

"And then these creepy tentacles seemed to come out of the body builder's face, and... and then the guy just... vaporized." Clary said shakily while talking to Jocelyn. As soon as we got home we started to explain what had happened. Jocelyn just sat there as we both paced around the living room.

"I mean, we were drugged right?" I asked. I may have kept a calm front for Clary, to protect her, but I was freaking out. My boyfriend had just killed many people in front of me and these people didn't actually look like real people, and suddenly, said boyfriend had weird markings on his body.

"What did the markings you were talking about look like?" Jocelyn asked us, completely ignoring what we had just said.

"Who cares, Mom, okay? Are you even listening to us? We think Sarah killed a guy."

"Girls... did they look like this?" she asked as she brought her stele to her arm. A marking magically appeared on her wrist and it looked a lot like one of Jace's.

"Jocelyn, what the..." I mumbled my eyes widening a bit.

"Everything you saw tonight has a meaning and an explanation, and I've dreaded having this conversation with you since you were both little girls."

"What is going on?" Clary stammered "Are we going insane?"

"No, you're not. But the protections are wearing off. You're 18 now, and you need to know the truth."

"Protections?" I asked confused "What does that even mean?"

"Mom, you... Mom, you're scaring the hell out of us."

"I know, and that's why I've put this off until the last possible minute." Jocelyn pressed as she stood up.

"Jocelyn, look out the window. Magnus called to warn us. They found you." Dot interrupted. She seemed terrified. Jocelyn's eyes widened and everything seemed to go faster.

"Dot, it's time. Okay, girls, listen to me. You cannot be near me."

"What's happening?" Clary weakly protested.

"I got a very powerful person angry." Jocelyn answered as she began walking around faster looking around for things. Clary and I just stood there watching her.

"What did you do?" I inquired.

"I hid something from him and his followers."

"Followers?" I muttered as Clary asked "Why can't we just call the police?"

"The policeman you need to call is Luke." Jocelyn approached us with a necklace and a bracelet in her hand. "Keep this with you and think of me when you wear it." She said as she put the necklace around Clary's neck and the bracelet around my wrist.

"Mom, this is not the time for more birthday gifts."

"What the hell is happening?" I was starting to panic.

Dot reappeared with a bottle in her hand that had a weird looking liquid in it. She threw it at Jocelyn

"Only if you need it." Jocelyn nodded towards her and turned to us. "Trust your instincts. You two are more powerful than you know

"Jocelyn, we need to understand what's..."

"Dot, open it." She cut me "Everything I've done, every mistake I've made was because I love you more than words." She pushed us towards some sort of purple thing that Dot had made appeared magically. My head was pounding and I tried so hard to put the pieces together

"What are you doing?" Clary asked frantically

"Luke will explain everything. He'll hide you."

"Hide us?"

"From the Circle. He's the only one you can trust. Trust no one else."

"Mom, I don't..."

"Sarah, where's Luke now?" she pushed, seeing Clary wouldn't answer.

"At the police station!" I shouted grabbing Clary's hand.

"Remember, I love you."

The only thing I heard were Clary's shout as I pictured the police station. Next thing I knew, we had appeared there against a wall.

"Ow" I muttered as I tried to stand up against the wall. Clary was still on the ground and looked pretty shaken. I swallowed thickly and tried hard to look okay for her sake. I extended my hand towards her and helped her up to take a look around.

"Clary? Sarah?" we heard from behind us and jumped a bit at the sound. Turning around, I relaxed as I saw who it was.

"Captain Vargas" Clary sighed as her voice cracked. We must have looked terrible because she looked at us carefully as if she was walking on eggshells around us.

"It's 2:00 in the morning. What are you doing here so late?" she asked and Clary tried to answer but she was really out of it so I tried to step in.

"Luke said he'd, uh, drive us home if he was still here."

"Still doesn't trust those cabbies, huh?" she chuckled "Well, he's in the middle of an interview. It could take a while."

"Cool, we'll wait in the cafeteria." I sighed running a hand through my hair turning around to guide Clary somewhere else.

"Hey, uh... is there some sort of problem?" Captain Vargas asked and we stopped "Guy trouble?"

"Yeah, sure. Guy trouble, it's, uh... something like that." I told her with a tight smile and she left. "Hey uh, Clare, I just need to uh, go to the bathroom so.... I'll meet you out there in a few minutes okay?"

She nodded and I left for the bathroom. I didn't really need to go but I felt as if I would crack any minute now and I didn't want her to see. I got inside one of the stall and sat down breathing heavily. A tear rolled down my cheek and I started shaking a bit. Everything that had happened felt overwhelming and I didn't know what to do. I grabbed my necklace, the one that came from my mother and started playing with it, something I only did when I was stressed. However, there was one thing I knew I had to do: I was going to protect Clary, no matter what, and I was going to help her find Jocelyn. I needed to find her. I took out my phone and looked at it. I considered texting Jace for a while, wondering if I should ask him what had happened. I decided not to, that I would text him when I would have calmed down. I decided to get out and looked at my reflection in the mirror, making sure I was okay before I found Clary again. She looked even worse than when I had left.

"We have to go" she said quietly and grabbed my hand. I ran behind her and we didn't stop until we got to our house, soaked to the bone by the rain outside.

"Clary, what happened?" I asked our now that we were home.

"Luke, he doesn't care about us. He wants to kill us. We can't trust him okay?" I nodded and took her inside the shop. The place looked trashed. Clary slid down against the wall and started to cry calling out to her mom but getting quieter as she noticed she didn't get an answer. I crouched in front of her and squeezed her knee but straightened up when I heard a noise upstairs. I motioned to Clary to stay quiet and grabbed a weapon that was lying around the shop. Clary followed quietly behind as I raised the weapon up, ready to hit whatever was upstairs. The storm was raging outside with thunder rumbling. I gasped when I saw the figure standing in the middle of the room and dropped the weapon as I recognized Dot.

"Sarah, Clary" she sighed and walked towards us. "They took Jocelyn."

"Who took her?" I asked.

"Rogue Shadowhunters searching for the Mortal Cup."

"What the hell are you talking about?" I chuckled without humor.

"Think, girls. Did your mother ever talk to you about a cup? A very important cup." She stuttered "It's gold, almost like a chalice."

"One of the antiquities downstairs?" Clary asked stepping forward and facing Dot.

"No, no, not those." She inhaled deeply "Think. This could save Jocelyn."

"I can't think! Someone kidnapped my mother!" Clary screamed in frustration.

"You know more than you think you do, Clary Fray." Dot said darkly before getting closer to her. She jumped on her and attacked, trying to get some answers and Clary almost didn't react. Or so I thought. Dot jerked back and fell down as I saw Clary with her stele in her hand, shocked by what had happened. I grabbed her hand and forced her behind me as Dot changed and turned into something that looked monster-like. It looked up towards me and attacked. My eyes widened and I pushed Clary aside as the monster hit me on my neck. I fell back on the table and crawled backwards against the wall. I tried to stand back up to fight but the creature was too close and I couldn't do anything. I tried to be strong, I tried to keep a straight face but I couldn't anymore. I cried in terror, pretty sure that this was it but suddenly, a blade appeared in the middle of its chest and the monster vaporized in front of me, Jace appearing there.

"What, no "thank you" for saving your life?" he joked, a smug smile on his face. I sighed and smiled at him.

"Jace" I acknowledged before I felt light-headed and started to fall without realizing it.

"Careful." He soothed, grabbing me gently by the shoulders to steady me. "That demon got a piece of you."

"Demons?" I heard Clary ask from behind him.

"Yeah. What do you think that miserable, disgusting thing was?"

"I, uh... I thought it was Dot."

"No, Ravener demon, shapeshifter." He said his attention going back to me, looking at my face.

"You're just saying words now. Why... why is the room swirling?" I asked getting really out of it.

"Demon venom." He simply answered.

"It's that bad?" I breathed heavily. Before I fainted in his arms.

"I got you baby" was the last thing I heard before Jace lifted me in his arms.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

28.8K 780 20
Zoey Frey is the twin sister to Clary Frey. On their 18th birthday, their lives get turned upside down. While Clary learns that her memories of an un...
668K 14.3K 36
The lives of the twins Brielle and Clary Fray take a 360° turn when they decide to go to the Pandemonium club in NYC for their 18th birthday. They bo...
22.3K 399 14
Haylynn grew up as a normal 17 year old girl, has normal friends, and was having a normal life. But one night, that all changed. She and her friends...
323K 8.1K 38
"I'm sorry I never meant for this to happen I was supposed to protect you" "It's fine. I'll just have to live with it or should I say be dead with it...