Faking It || l.r.h

By Hemmocliffoodirwin

⚠️TW: Mention of abuse, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts. Read at your own risk.⚠️ - He needed someone to mak... More

1. The Break-up
2. Crush
3. Party
4. Later
5. Monday
6. Plan
7. Practice
8. Kissing Act
9. Try
10. Burn
11. Fake Date
12. Fight
13. Move On
14. Eye
15. Video
16. Bowling
17. Dinner
18. Mistake
19. Flirt
20. Tutor
21. Better
22. Forgive and Forget
23. Or Not
24. Mall
25. Trust Me
26. Movie
27. Amusement Park
28. Home
29. Gift
30. Over
31. Here We Go Again
33. Cookies
34. Eve
35. Christmas
36. Advice
37. Second Chances
38. Band
39. The Beach
40. Detention
41. Doubt
42. Confusion
43. Guilt
44. Truth
45. In Denial
46. Done
47. Independence Day
48. Midnight Memories
49. Netflix and Chill
50. Runaways
BONUS CHAPTER: The Reactions
The End + Thanks

32. Wishing We Could Start Again

6.8K 155 124
By Hemmocliffoodirwin

*Brooke's POV*

After dinner, I helped my mother clean before going upstairs to try to start on my homework. I took out all of my materials and was ready to get started but I still had that incident nagging me at the back of my mind and I couldn't focus.

While I enjoyed kissing Luke, I felt bad for cheating on Ashton. My feelings for Luke are much stronger than the ones for Ash but that doesn't mean I can kiss him anytime I want. And then he's dating Avery and I consider us to be friends and I can't do that to her.

I know Luke and I have something real and it seems he feels the same way but we're committed to other people. Every time I look in Ashton's eyes, I see compassion and kindness. But when I look into Luke's eyes, I see love. Ashton is an amazing person and he deserves one hundred percent but I can't give that to him. Everything was fine in the beginning but as time passed and I saw Luke with someone else, I grew jealous. I know I'm the one the ended things between us but that didn't change how I felt about him. I was angry and upset at the time and I did something I hadn't thought through. Even with all the shit Luke put me through, that didn't change how I felt about him. I still get tingly whenever I look at him and he's constantly on my mind.

I picked up my phone to call Ashton. It's pretty clear what I have to do. It's the only thing that'll relieve my guilt and he'll hopefully find someone that'll give him all he deserves.

"Hello?" He asked, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Ash, hey. Can you come over? I really need to talk to you." I said.

"We're talking right now." He chuckled.

"No, I have to say this face to face and it can't wait. Can you please just hurry over?" I asked.

I heard him sigh. "I'll be there in fifteen minutes."

"Okay."

We said our goodbyes and hung up. This is the right move, I know it is. I just hope he sees that too.

I went downstairs to occupy myself as I waited for him to arrive. When I heard the doorbell ring, I jumped up out of my seat.

"I'll get it, nobody move." I said and rushed to the front door. I stopped in front of it to take a deep breath and calm myself down before opening it.

"Hey." He smiled.

"Hi." I breathed.

"So what did you want to talk about?" He asked as he tried to step inside.

I put my hand on his chest, stopping him. "Actually, lets talk out here."

"Okay." We stepped outside and I closed the door behind me. "What's up?"

"Well," I went and sat on the porch swing, patting the spot next to me so he'd sit, "I haven't been completely honest with you."

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"I...well...remember on my birthday when I told you Luke would be taking me out for dinner just as friends?"

"Yeah," he nodded, "what about it?"

I gulped before answering. "It started off as a nice night. We went to eat and then went to a park to skate around for a while, everything was going great until he brought me home. We were talking and I don't know what came over me and when he leaned in to kiss me, I kissed him back." By this time I was looking down at my bare feet, too ashamed to look him in the eye.

"You...kissed him?"

"I'm sorry." I sniffed. "I knew it was wrong but it felt right at the time. Ash...I still care about him and I know I sound like an idiot because he's with someone else but I felt bad for what I did and I had to tell you. You deserve someone that's willing to give you their all. I can't do that and I hope you understand." I finally rounded up enough courage to look him in the eye. "I really am sorry."

He pursed his lips and was silent for a few moments before continuing. "So this is it?" He asked.

I nodded. "It's for the best." I felt a lump form in my throat and I did my best to withhold the tears threatening to fall.

"I understand." He stood up and I joined him. "Things were good while they lasted." He chuckled.

"Thank you for being such an amazing guy. I know you'll find someone that'll treat you like you deserve." I said.

He wrapped his strong arms around me in what'll probably be the last hug I'll receive from him. "Bye, Brooke."

"Bye, Ashton." I wiped my eyes as he walked away and got in his car. I watched as he pulled out and headed down the street before going back inside and straight up to my room.

That was easier than I thought. I thought he'd be extremely upset but instead he was calm and understanding. I meant every word I said to him, about him being amazing 'cause he truly is. Not many guys would be okay with a girl confessing she kissed someone else. I'm glad I was finally able to get it off of my chest and don't have to feel guilty anymore.

Now that that's taken care of, there's still the matter of Luke and Avery. I care about Luke but I can't just steal him away from her, she's my friend. But he's the one that kissed me so what's really going on? It wasn't something accidental, he really meant it. He grabbed my face and everything. Does he really care for her as much as he leads on or is there something going on? He didn't seem to care that he was cheating on her and showed no remorse when I brought it up to him at school.

It's probably best to talk to him instead of speculating. But I can't just come out and say I broke up with Ashton because I wanted to be with him. I just need to see what he has to say and hopefully I get the answers I'm hoping for.

*Avery's POV*

I woke up feeling good which was a surprise to me given my current situation. I can't explain the feeling it just feels...good; like today isn't gonna totally suck. Maybe it was because today is the last day before break. Whatever the reason, I hope the good feeling lasts all day.

I got up and headed to the bathroom to shower. Once I got out, I put on my robe and brushed my teeth before going to my room to get dressed. Since I was feeling good today, I decided to wear something a little different. I took out a cream colored sweater and a red skirt to put on instead of my usual black and grey.

After dressing and putting my hair in a braid, I went to my dad's room to see what he wanted for breakfast.

I knocked on his door. "Dad?" I asked. I received no answer. "Dad?" I repeated, opening the door a crack. To my surprise, he wasn't in there.

I headed downstairs to the kitchen and found a note on the counter. I picked it up to read, my smile growing more and more as I read each line. He went out of town again and was probably gonna miss Christmas.

This couldn't have made me any happier. Most people would probably be upset to be without family during the holidays but being without my dad during the most joyous holiday of the year was a great thing. He would've sucked all the Christmas spirit out of me, ruining the holiday. But since he's gone, I can decorate and enjoy the movies like any other person.

I went back upstairs to finish getting ready and then locked the door when I exited the house to grab my bike.

Looks like my great day is off to an amazing start. My dad not being here is by far the best news I could've received. Let's just hope the goodness continues and Luke isn't a total dick to me today.

I arrived at school and chained up my bike before heading inside. I went to my locker and was met by a smiling Dylan.

"Morning." He smiled and kissed my head.

"Hey." I smiled and put in my combination and opened my locker.

"You look different." He commented, leaning against the lockers next to me. "You're not dressed like the Grim Reaper today." He chuckled.

"I feel different." I shrugged. "I thought I'd dress more accordingly for the holiday season."

"Well that's good. You're not letting Luke bring you down."

"Or anyone for that matter." I chuckled and closed my locker.

"Speaking of the Devil." Dylan mumbled, nodding his head.

I turned and saw Luke approaching us with his hands in his pocket and jaw clenched.

"I'm not sticking around for this, I'll see you later." Dylan said before slipping away.

I sighed and looked at Luke who was now standing in front of me. "Saying 'hello' or 'good morning' is common courtesy." I said.

"Let's just get this over with." He groaned and rolled his eyes. His attitude now is how it was when we first started this train wreck. I didn't like it then and I certainly don't like it now.

"Look, I'm having a great day so far so if you could stop being a dick for two seconds, I'd greatly appreciate it."

"You should've thought of that before you said all that shit." He snarled, grabbing my hand and walking us down the hall.

I wanted to say something back because I was just as angry, if not angrier, because of what happened. But today has been good to me and I didn't want to stoop down to his level.

But I was also hurt. I didn't mean a lot of that stuff I said and I wish I could apologize for it but the damage is done. I don't think any apology in the world can make up for it.

"I'll see you later." He mumbled before quickly walking off.

I don't like this at all. I miss our intertwining fingers and little kisses. I miss his smile, his singing, him happily being around me. I wish we could start again, all of the shit being erased and all that's left is us being together and happy.

Listen to me, I sound like an idiot. I miss a guy that I was never in an actual relationship with. If only he saw me the way I see him maybe we could've been more, but he was so caught up in being with Brooke that I guess he didn't take the time to allow himself to feel.

-

After first period, I walked out of the room expecting to see Luke waiting across the hall but he wasn't there. My heart fell a little and I had to remind myself that he doesn't care for me the way I care for him and I can't let him ruin my day. Things have been okay and I've got to keep my head up. He's not the one I'm after, it's the big ball of sunshine heading my way.

"Hey, Ash." I smiled.

"I'm glad I caught you, I've got some good news." He said.

"Oh, uh, can it wait?" I stopped. "I've really got to use the bathroom and get to class, I'll see you later." I opened the door and disappeared inside before he could say another word.

It's not like I'm avoiding him, I really did have to use the bathroom. And besides, what good news could he possibly have for me?

I arrived to second period just as the teacher began the lesson. I sat with Dylan and took out my notebook and pen to take the notes. We were about twenty minutes into class when there was a knock at the door. The teacher went over to answer it and I was surprised to see Ashton step through.

Dylan and I exchanged confused glances before looking back at the front of the room.

"Mr. Hilton needs Avery for a few minutes to assist him in an experiment." He said. Why would he need me and how would Ashton even know that? We're in the same period.

"Avery, go, but be back as quickly as possible." She said.

I got up and quickly walked down the row and out the door, pulling it shut behind me. We walked down the hall a little before I said anything.

"Why does Mr. Hilton need me?" I asked.

"He doesn't." He smirked as he pushed me up against the nearby lockers and crashed his lips into mine. It's only been a few days since we last kissed but I missed the feeling.

"Ash." I mumbled against his lips.

"Hm?"

"What are you doing?" I lightly pushed him off of me and looked up and down the hall to make sure no one was around. "You can't just kiss me like that, especially here. We're with people."

"That's what I was trying to tell you earlier, Brooke broke up with me last night." He smiled.

"And you're happy about that?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Well I kinda just accepted it. She told me how she made out with Luke and she felt bad, but this is great. Her breaking up with me means I can be with you."

Her and Luke kissed and he didn't even tell me about it? And then how could she? What kind of girl goes around and kisses another girl's boyfriend? Oh wait.

He took my hands in his. "I really like you, Avery, and I want to be with you."

I smiled. Who knew I'd ever hear those words? "I like you too, Ash."

"And Luke?" He asked.

"I think it's the end of us." I said.

He smiled and leaned down to kiss me again. After a few minutes of slow, and surprisingly uninterrupted, kissing, he pulled away.

"I've got to get back to class. I'll see you later, babe."

"Later." I smiled. I watched him go down the hall and I went back to English.

I sat back down in my seat and shot Dylan a smile.

"That must've been some experiment." He said.

"I'll tell you all about it later." I said, turning back around to continue working.

I woke up this morning feeling like today was gonna be my day and it obviously has been and it's not even half way over yet. Everything's going right and it can only get better.

-

"You're serious?" He asked as his eyes widened and smiled. "That's great."

"It's better than great, it's amazing!" I squealed. "He really likes me and we can finally be together."

"Well after you "break-up" with Luke." He put air quotes around the term.

"That's nothing." I waved my hand, as if dismissing the matter. "I'll probably stage a little argument in front of his friends and I can make it about the kiss."

"Looks like you've got everything figured out." He said, opening the door to the cafeteria for me to walk in first. "Things are finally going your way."

"It's sure does look that way." I nodded.

We went through the line and purchased our food, going our separate ways to our tables. I spotted Ashton on my way to my table and he winked at me, causing butterflies to erupt in my stomach.

I sat down across from Luke and he didn't even look up to acknowledge my presence. At least his terrible attitude is making it easier to move on from him.

"Look at me as if you're mad at me." I ordered him.

"That's not gonna be a problem." He mumbled, glaring at me.

"Mike and Cal are coming over here so we need to argue."

"About what?" He asked.

"How could you do that to me?" I asked as the two of them sat down; Michael next to me and Calum next to Luke. "I trusted you and you went and kissed another girl." I could see Calum's eyes widen.

"I-I didn't mean to, it was an accident, honestly." He said.

"Yeah, it was an accident that you kissed your ex-girlfriend." I wiped away a small tear I was able to conjure up.

"I'm sorry, babe, I really am. If you could just give me another chance-" I cut him off.

"No, you don't deserve one." I shook my head. "I'm not the type to be ran over multiple times and just forgive it. If it was something small, maybe, but you kissed someone else and I can't forgive you for that."

"Woah woah woah, guys, why don't you just talk a bit?" Mike asked. "Maybe let him explain or-"

I cut him off. "I wanted you to get close to her so she'd forgive you for the shit you did to her. But it seems you had other plans."

"Avery-"

"Don't fucking talk to me ever again, Luke." I stood up and left the cafeteria, a sense of freedom washing over me. It was all finally over. I can be with Ashton and no one else will get in the way.

*Luke's POV*

"Care explaining what the hell that was about?" Calum asked.

"I'd rather not." I mumbled.

"But you kissed Brooke and Avery found out, man." Michael said.

"I said I don't wanna talk about it." I snapped.

"Fine," Cal shook his head, "but don't think we're gonna drop it. You just got dumped so we'll give you some time and then bring it back up when you've had a chance to clear your head."

I rolled my eyes and went back to eating my lunch. I could see why they're so concerned, they really liked Avery and I guess hearing I kissed another girl makes me sound pretty bad. But it's not like Avery was all she was made out to be. Yeah I liked her, well loved her, at one point but it was because I was waiting to be with the one that I truly care for. If they knew the truth then they'd understand.

But I don't think I could ever tell them the truth 'cause that'd make me and her sound like terrible people. Well we kind of are, plotting to break up two people. But we had good reasons, as selfish as they may have been. Who cares what they think? I've got my girl back and that's all that matters. Well, I almost have her back. I haven't actually asked her back out yet but I will and I know she'll accept.

After lunch, I headed to math where Michael stared at me nonstop. I guess this is his way of making me feel guilty but it won't work 'cause I never really had feelings for Avery. Okay I loved her but that's not important, I was being an idiot. Now that I think about it, was I really in love with her? I had one girl on my mind the entire time so why would I fall in love with someone else?

After math let out, I headed to what would probably be the most awkward chemistry class ever. I'd be sitting next to my "ex-girlfriend" who I'm not friends with anymore and right behind her new guy. Why is this my life?

Now that I think about it, I don't have anything against Ash now. My displeasure towards him before was because he was with Brooke but since that's not the case anymore, we could go back to hanging out like before. Plus we need to get together for band practice, it's been quite a while.

I took my seat next to Avery and she didn't acknowledge my presence. I don't know if she was keeping up the whole "angry at me for cheating" façade or if she still genuinely hates me. But I shouldn't care either way since I hate her, right? I did at least want to thank her for helping me, even if we're not on the best of terms right now.

"Put away your notes and take out your pencils." Mr. Hilton said. "No cheating of any form and good luck." He began passing out our tests I forgot we were supposed to have. I guess I'll have to thank her after class.

-

"Have a great holiday break, stay safe." He said to me as I turned in my test.

"Okay." I nodded and exited the room.

I went outside, thinking she'd be unchaining her bike and preparing to leave. My assumption was correct and I was able to stop her before she rode off.

"What do you want? I thought the whole point of "breaking up" was so we wouldn't have to talk to each other anymore." She spat.

Although her tone was rude, I decided to bite my tongue and accomplish what I actually stopped her for. "I wanted to say thank you for helping me get Brooke back."

"Oh, well, you're welcome." She said.

We both fell silent 'cause what could either of us really say? We have no reason to be around each other anymore.

"I'll see you at the Christmas party." I said after a few moments of awkward tension.

"Yeah, the party. I'll see you there." She nodded.

I walked off to the parking lot and saw Brooke by her car talking to a few girls. I approached the group and they took no time to dismiss themselves.

"Hey, Luke." She smiled.

"Hey." I smiled. "Since we're both single now, would you like to go out with me tonight?" Even though I knew her feelings towards me, I still couldn't help but feel a little nervous.

"I'd like that a lot." She chuckled.

"Great, I'll pick you up at seven."

"I'll be waiting." She kissed my cheek before getting in her car. I waved her off and headed to my own car to go home.

This entire ordeal has been one hell of a roller coaster but that doesn't matter. We're going out again and nothing in the world could ruin my happiness.

-

"Shh." I giggled as I unlocked my house door, letting the both of us inside.

There were a few things wrong with what I was correctly doing. I was a little buzzed from our night out, I was home after curfew, and I had Brooke with me.

"C'mon." I whispered, grabbing her hand and leading her up to my room. I closed my door as quietly as I could and turned on the light.

"It's been a while since I've been here." She chuckled and looked around.

"Well nothing's changed except that it may be a little cleaner." I joked.

She giggled and wrapped her arms around my neck, resting our foreheads together. "I've missed this."

"So have I." I placed my hands on her hips and brought us closer.

She closed the last bit of space between us and connected our lips. I then moved my mouth to her jaw and then down to her neck, nibbling on the skin a bit 'cause I know it drives her fucking crazy.

"Luke." She moaned.

"Shh, baby," I chuckled, "you have to keep quiet."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.9K 955 21
SEQUEL TO WILDFLOWER Heartbreak hurts, but it hurts more when secrets have been left untold... *** Calum Hood (5sos) fanfiction Rated M for language...
771 38 19
My whole life I've been waiting for someone to love me and care about me as much as I cared and loved everyone else. I never thought it was possible...
282K 3K 71
It's 5sos sickfics. You CAN request more than once, so please request thanks. REQUESTS ARE ALWAYS OPEN Started: 3/3 2018 Finished: not yet Number 12...
371K 10.5K 35
In which a popular boy who cares too much about his reputation meets a girl who hates attention.