The One That Got Away

By tufano79

Bella Swan was dreading going back to her ten year high school reunion, over Valentine's Day Weekend, for Hil... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Chapter Seventy-Six
Chapter Seventy-Seven
Chapter Seventy-Eight
Chapter Seventy-Nine
Chapter Eighty
Chapter Eighty-One
Chapter Eighty-Two
Chapter Eighty-Three
Epilogue

Chapter Forty

1.7K 55 6
By tufano79

For those of you who read the Get Your Southern On contest entries, this is my contribution. I am tickled at the results ... first place in public vote and third place for the judge's choice. I've decided to break this up into smaller, drabblish chapters and it will be continued. The contest contribution is the first six or so chapters, roughly. I don't know how long it will be, but I do have it planned. Thank you to Bridget for betaing this for me and for Clo, who created the banner.

Thank you for those of you who have read this! I hope you continue to do so! Without further ado ...

Anyway, we're going to jump ahead in time. Bella is going to finish up her time at the Seattle Public Library and prepare the move. And she's not the only one moving. So is Edward ... where will he go?

"I'm sorry to see you go, Bella, but I'm happy for you with your new position. Teaching at University of Tampa and working in their library?" Linda smiled. "You're planning on staying through the end of April?"

"Yeah. I've already got someone who purchased my condo. I'm driving back to Tampa and searching for a new place, staying with my dad until I get settled," Bella explained. "I start at the library in July and I'll get my course load toward the end of the month, too."

"Are you sure that there's nothing I can do to convince you to stay?" Linda asked. "A raise?"

"As tempting as that is, I got a substantial raise with the new position and the man I love lives in Tampa, with his two adorable twins and my family, too," Bella said. Though, in the back of her head, the words that Carlisle spewed that fateful morning almost two weeks ago, haunted Bella. She twisted her ring and tried to ignore the pit in her stomach. Shaking off her feelings, she smiled back at Linda. "Anyway, the moving truck has been ordered and on May 2nd, I'll be heading toward Tampa, moving back home."

Linda got up from her desk, hugging Bella tightly. "You better not be a stranger, Bella. You were one of the best workers I've had in a long time." She smiled warmly at Bella. "And we're going to have a party, Bella. We need to celebrate the next chapter in your life."

"Thank you, Linda," Bella nodded, hugging her boss again. She left the office and went to her floor, checking on her staff. Seeing that they were alright, Bella sat down and opened the plot outline for her story, Out of the Darkness. She had most of it planned, but was struggling with the climax. She had written almost two-thirds of the story, but was trying to figure out how to make the main characters and drama come to a head. As she worked, an email pinged in her mailbox. It was another link from Edward.

To: Bella Swan
From: Edward Cullen, M.D.
Date: April 28th, 2016, 03:16pm

Re: I miss you so much ... oh, and check out this link!

Dearest Bella,

My real estate sent me this link to this recently added property in the twins' school district. It's exactly what I'm looking for and I hope you like it, too. It's in Swann Estates. And that was not intentional, the name of the subdivision. Anyway, it's got a pool and turn-key. What makes me happy is that the kids won't have to move schools. I walked it and I think it would be perfect for me and the twins and when you move in with us, for the two of us, my sweetness.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. I love you and I miss holding you. Liam and Lucy told me to tell you that they missed you, too. I've attached a picture of the two of them with a sign for you, baby.

I'm on tonight and I just had a few moments to send you this email. If I get a chance, I'll call you when I get a break.

Love you so much!

Edward

PS ~ Don't stress out about the cost.

"Oh, God," Bella murmured, clicking on the picture first. Liam and Lucy sat on Edward's lap, all of them smiling, with a sign saying that they loved and missed Bella. She printed the photo and put it on her desk, smiling softly. After she did that, she clicked on the link for the house. "Oh, God." The tone was different from the first whisper. "This house is almost a million dollars."

She clicked through the pictures, loving every one she saw, but it was a lot of money. Too much money. "Don't stress about the cost, my ass."

"What are you muttering about?" Jasper asked, ambling over and sitting down next to her. "Something about my ass? It's hot. I know."

"Jas, you are an ass," Bella deadpanned, nudging him with her shoulder. "Shouldn't you be working on inventory? Weeding out damaged books?"

"I have some of my minions weeding out the books. My eyes were crossing," Jasper snickered. "However, I heard a nasty rumor that you're leaving us."

"It was up in the air until I got offered a position at the University of Tampa," Bella explained. "I'm going to be working in their library and teaching a few creative writing and modern literature classes. And it wasn't exactly a secret. I told your wife."

"Yeah, she's back to being all secretive about you again, Swan," Jasper snorted. "Are you hiding another secret life? Are you secretly a man?"

Bella barked out a laugh, but sighed about Jasper's revelation. And with good reason. The rights for Mafia Princess had been bought by Summit and we were moving forward with writing a screen play. "Well, I'm here until the end of April and then I drive across the country. And no, I'm not a man."

"By yourself?" Jasper asked. "Edward's not helping you? I'm surprised that he's not dropping everything to be by your side."

"He's working some insane hours. Essentially, it's a marathon until it's the end of his residency," Bella explained. "Dad is trying to get a week off to help me with the drive, but with him being the boss, it's tough. He doesn't trust his second in command. He's incompetent and Charlie can't fire him."

"Alice could come with you," Jasper smiled.

"Spend a week in the car with your wife?" Bella deadpanned. "I love her, but no thank you." Jasper scowled. "Do you need a vacation from her?"

"Sort of," he grumbled. "I love my wife, too, but she's so ... so ... excitable."

"You knew this when you married her, Jas," Bella giggled. "Do you have some guy friends to hang out with?" Jasper shrugged. "Call them." With a sigh, Jasper walked away. Bella turned back to her document, trying to focus on her manuscript, but unable to do so because her mind was focused on that insanely expensive home that Edward had walked.

After work, Bella went back to her condo and spent most of the evening packing. Just as she was getting ready to go to bed, she got a text from Edward. It was short, but he said that he loved her and that they'd talk tomorrow, especially about the house. Bella wrinkled her nose, freaking out about how much the house cost. It was not like she was going to live there. Not right away.

Or if Carlisle had his way, ever.

She'd already scoped out some short-term leases near the university. She was happy to live there, even though the idea of paying rent pissed her off. It was throwing away money. At least with the condo, she was gaining equity. She made a hefty profit on her condo, which allowed her to look for a more luxurious apartment, and take some time off prior to beginning her new position, but it was still an apartment.

The next day, as Bella was working on the climax of her story, her cell phone rang. She was tired of packing and going through shit. She needed a break, focusing her mind on something other than this cross-country move. It was excited and exhilarating, but stressful as well. She had to have her first draft done before she left. She was in a groove and wanted to get her ideas on the page, but she was anxious to speak to Edward, as well. It had been a couple of days since she last spoke with him. Swiping the screen, she answered the phone. "Hey, Superman," she cooed.

"I'm sorry about not calling last night. Things got crazy and then when I got home, Liam was struggling his project on kangaroos for his science project. He had the pictures, but was having a hard time putting the information with the pictures," Edward chuckled. "We were working on it until almost eleven."

"It's okay, Edward. How did he do?" Bella asked.

"I don't know, but he was proud of his work when he turned it in," Edward chuckled. "So, did you get a chance to look at the house? I walked through it again today on my way home from work and Bella, I love it. It's perfect for us."

"It's so expensive," Bella whispered. "Edward, I don't want you to buy a house that is too much for you. It's too much for me to even fathom."

"Bella, I want you to live with us. I understand your need to have your own place, but I want you to live with us. I can see us becoming a family in that house. Turning it from a house into a home," Edward breathed. "I want to put an offer in tomorrow morning. I'm off in the morning and don't go into until after noon. Plus, my real estate agent said that it was overpriced. It's been on the market for a while. I need to get out of here, Bella. Carlisle's back and each time I see him, I want to punch his face."

"Like my dad?" Bella snorted. "I can't believe he did that."

"I did. He was avenging your honor, sweetness. My dad had it coming," Edward sighed. "He's apologized numerous times to me and to my mom, but he's still sleeping in the guest room."

"He hasn't apologized to me. That's why," Bella said, her voice flat. "He never even tried."

"And that's why he's in the guest room. He knows that he made a mistake, but he's too fucking stubborn," Edward uttered. "And you know that you're not what he said, or what he implied."

"I know. And I know that I should have a thicker skin, but it still hurt. A lot," Bella whispered. "But, make that offer, Edward. If you still want me, I'll move in, by December."

"Really?" Edward asked. "And of course, I still want you. I want you by my side, always. I'd rather you just move in with me, but I understand your reasoning why. Have you found a place?"

"I'm leaning toward Addison at Tampa Oaks," Bella said. "They have a six-month lease available, beginning in June. As soon as we get back from our trip to wherever, I'm moving into the apartment."

"Lots of changes, sweetness," Edward said quietly. "Good changes, mostly." He tugged on his hair, wishing he could hold her. He wanted to be with her so badly because he still felt unsettled with what had happened prior to her departure two weeks ago; Lucy had loved Bella. Liam was warming up to her. Esme thought that Bella hung the moon, but his dad had almost unglued everything good thing that had happened with Bella with one irate tirade. "I can't wait until you're with me. I miss you so much, baby."

"I miss you, too," Bella murmured. "But, I'll be there soon. I've got two weeks left at work and then I'll be in Tampa permanently. My stuff will be in a storage unit until I move into the apartment and navigating my dad might be interesting, but I'll be there."

"I wish I could help you, Bella," Edward said. "Are you sure that I can't do anything? Pay for the movers?"

"The university is giving me a moving stipend. The only thing that I'd want would be someone to share the drive, but I know that you're married to your job and my dad is unable to come," Bella shrugged. "I'll be fine. I have it all planned, with hotels already reserved and I'm bringing my car in to be serviced just prior to my departure."

"I still don't like it," Edward grumbled. "What about Alice?"

"I'd rather swallow battery acid," Bella deadpanned. "A week in the car with hyperactive and chirpy? Fuck. No."

"Well, okay then," Edward laughed. "You have to promise me to text each time you stop for gas and call once you get settled into the hotels along the way. I wish I could be there, but this is the next best thing." They spoke on the phone for another hour until Bella started yawning. With quiet I love yous and whispers of seeing each other soon, they hung up. Bella worked a little bit on her story before crashing.

xx TOTGA xx

The final two weeks at the library went by quickly. Her home was packed up and she was living out of a suitcase. The movers came early and Bella was staying with Jasper and Alice until she was driving to Tampa. "Bella, I still can't believe you're leaving," Alice frowned.

"I can't believe it, either," Bella smiled as she made some of her brownies for her goodbye party. "I'm excited about this change in my life, but terrified, too."

"And it's more than one change," Alice said, hopping up on the counter, watching as Bella worked deftly in her kitchen. "You're moving back to Tampa. You have a new position at the University of Tampa. AND you're going to do your first appearance as Marie Cigno, announcing the film for Mafia Princess."

"That was all you and Jane," Bella snorted. "I'm grateful it's happening after I'm starting at the university."

"You may have an influx of students because of the movie," Alice quipped, dipping her finger in the chocolatey batter. "I'm so going to fucking miss these. You left the recipe, right?"

Bella wiggled the notecard, but giggled. "Not like you'd be able to recreate them, Alice. You're hopeless in the kitchen." Alice scowled, wrinkling her nose. "It's true, Ali."

"Well, once you get settled, Jasper and I will fly out. I want to check out Tampa and see where you came from," Alice said. "And go shopping for you. You have a new job and new climate."

"It all revolves around shopping," Bella smirked.

"Always," Alice beamed.

The next day, the staff lounge had been decorated in streamers, balloons and a banner wishing Bella the best of luck. Almost all the staff attended Bella's last day. Jane and Alice attended as well. Jane looked completely out of place, wearing a skin-tight black dress and bright red lips, surrounded by frumpy, dumpy librarians. Her coworkers thought that Jane was an actress, but Jane was aloof about her connection to Bella.

After the library closed, Alice, Jasper, and Jane had a party with the New Moon staff, celebrating the contract with Summit and confirmation for Bella's inaugural convention in Las Vegas, showing her face as the elusive Marie Cigno and promoting her newest book and upcoming movie deal. Alice and Bella got drunk. Bella sent some seductive, sexy photos to Edward.

Early on Monday morning, Bella filled up her gas tank and set her navigation system to her first stop. She hugged Alice and Jasper goodbye, crying as she shut the door on this chapter of her life. Clambering into her car, Bella took off to begin the next chapter.

A/N: And so, Bella is on her way back to Tampa. And Edward put an offer on an expensive house. Did he get the house? We'll find out as soon as we return. Leave me some loving! Thanks for reading! I appreciate it! ;-)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

304K 7.4K 31
Winter Swan intelligent carefree who loved anything that had to do with the snow and cold weather. She was excited to go back to her hometown of fork...
794 114 10
If you've ever wondered what New Moon would have been like if: Bella never jumped off that cliff, Alice had never come back, Bella never went after E...
12.9K 247 23
{COMPLETED} Bellezza Swan is the twin sister of Isabella Swan. She and her sister both moved to Washington state to live with their father, Charlie S...
14.3K 859 36
In a world where magic has ceased to exist for hundreds of years, a sole male possesses an unknown power. It slumbers deep within him, churning and p...