Upon Wings Of Change

By CrystalScherer

No one ever said what would happen when dragons and aliens meet. And no one told me that I would be in the mi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Epilogue
Bonus chapter! First encounter with an Elder
Author's Note
Donated Covers & Artwork

Chapter 50

41.2K 2.6K 473
By CrystalScherer

Taureen held up a large object, and I blinked in confusion as I asked, "What is that?" It looked like a cross between a dog snare pole and a butterfly net made of some odd brown material.

Taureen made a face as he folded it up into something the size of his fist. "The officer overseeing the guards wanted a safeguard in place in case I ever get knocked out cold and need medical attention. This is a special net to allow someone to catch you if I need help and you don't let them near me."

I narrowed my eyes at the evil object. "A net? I guess I can see your point though. I wasn't exactly thinking straight the last time you got hurt. Please tell me that not just anyone can get their hands on that thing."

Taureen shook his head. "No. Only Tran and Vick have permission to use it since they have been assigned as my partners ever since we started doing patrols. If you don't want to get netted, simply keep out of their reach. They will stay near you while the medical team helps me. If they must take me to the hospital, they will call Aeria to come get you."

I shook myself hard, earning the tinkling noise from my scales. "I don't like the thought of being netted, so I will probably remain out of their reach, but I can see the logic of such a backup plan. I assume that material is fireproof?"

He nodded. "Yes. Tran and Vick are also getting slightly different armor made from materials that are fireproof."

"That is good for them then. If I am that upset, I will probably resort to flame."

He nodded again without surprise. "They had assumed that after the last incident. On a side note, we are meeting Aeria's family tonight."

I blinked at the sudden topic change. "I have heard a few rumors while in the park of some fathers going a bit overboard in the 'haze the boyfriend' department. I doubt I will react any differently to them than to any other strange Kymari, so don't be surprised if they get too close and I growl at them."

"I had assumed that, and they will be expecting such a reaction from any fire lizard or bond animal."

Good, at least he doesn't expect me to treat every Kymari as if they were my best friend. I still had to put a conscious effort in with Aeria, but it was getting easier over time.

       Taureen rang the doorbell, and it was opened by a Kymari male who must have been Aeria's father. He eyed up Taureen before he was distracted by my presence. He stepped back. "Come in."

His demeanor was grudging and not quite welcoming, but from what Taureen said, that was to be expected at this point. I looked around the house as Taureen followed him into the living room. This house was set up much differently than any home I had seen before.

It seemed more formal, as if it was often on show. It didn't have the easy and carefree air that graced the small apartments of Taureen's friends, nor was it anything close to the home Taureen had bought, which was much more open and designed with me in mind.

This place could almost double as a labyrinth. If anyone tried to lay siege to this home, I bet that they would get a rude awakening. Weapons and armor were visible in various locations, showing that the man was a seasoned fighter. I hope Taureen knows what he is getting into.

We entered a small living room with half a dozen chairs surrounding a low coffee table. Aeria, her mother, and another male, who I assumed was her brother, were present and standing while awaiting our arrival.

The mother came forward. "So you are Taureen. We have heard about you."

Taureen inclined his head. "I hope that it was positive."

She smiled, but didn't reply. Her husband had turned around and was eyeing up Taureen like a possible foe. I didn't like how he was staring at Taureen, who was remaining passive in this examination. I stood up straighter and lifted my head while raising my ear tufts a bit as I stared at the Kymari in a slight challenge.

Taureen was familiar enough with me to notice that I was no longer relaxed. He glanced at me and held up his hand. I stepped onto it and looked at his face. He spoke softly to me, "It is best if you stay with Aeria for a bit." He held out his hand. "Go to Aeria."

I turned my head and narrowed my eyes at the father in suspicion before gliding over to Aeria and carefully landing on her shoulder. Her father turned his head to watch my flight with his sharp eyes looking at my claws.

He seemed surprised that I could be soft-footed when I chose. At this rate, Aeria is going to have to start wearing a shoulder pad or else I could make a mistake and end up scratching her. My normally sharp claws were much sharper after Taureen had found a scratching post for me to wear them down. He had offered to trim them for me, but I declined since my claws wouldn't have quite the proper angle.

Aeria reached up to gently stroke my wings. Her brother took a step as he came closer for a better look at me, causing me to turn my head and hiss lightly at him. He stepped back with my warning, and I disregarded him to once more watch his father.

The father was still watching me while he spoke to Taureen. "How many people can handle her?"

"So far, it is just Aeria and myself."

"It is unusual for a bond animal to accept another person so easily." His tone was faintly challenging.

Taureen shrugged lightly, although the father couldn't see the action since he was still watching me. He said, "Tasha let Aeria pet her even the first day when she stopped to talk to me. It took some bribery, but she is more at ease with Aeria now."

The father turned back to look at Taureen before gesturing to the chairs. "Please take a seat and join us."

Taureen waited until the others were seated before picking a chair. Aeria was between her mother and brother. Her mother was on my side, and she turned her head to look at me in curiosity. The chairs had some space between them, so thankfully she wasn't too close.

She leaned closer to me, and I flattened my ear tufts with a low growl as I faced her. She sat straight once more as she looked at Taureen. I relaxed slightly now that she was no longer watching me so openly. Aeria stroked my neck in an attempt to calm me down.

Aeria's father addressed Taureen. "Tell me about what you do."

Taureen started explaining our patrols to detect sicora, crawlers, and ktari. Aeria's father almost certainly knew all of these details already. After Taureen finished speaking, Aeria's mother nudged Aeria with her knee. "Come help me get some snacks."

They stood up and began to head for the doorway. I looked at Taureen and started to spread my wings to return to him. He shook his head at me. "Go with them."

I shook myself and rustled my wings as I folded them again while chittering my dislike of his idea, but I remained on Aeria's shoulder as she left the room and went down the hallway. She rounded a corner too fast, and I flared my wings for balance, almost falling off of her shoulder to avoid digging in my claws. She instantly stopped to allow me to regain my balance. "Sorry."

She resumed walking with her mother, but took care to keep her walk smooth. Her mother commented, "I am surprised that she is so careful with her claws considering that she was born wild. If you decide to keep seeing him, we will have to alter the sleeves on some of your shirts so it gives you some protection, without it looking like a shoulder pad, of course."

Aeria brightened at that idea. "I would like that." Making a face, she asked, "What do you think father is doing?"

The mother shrugged. "Probably questioning Taureen about things he doesn't want to ask with you sitting right there. I didn't expect that the fire lizard would go with you out of the room, so your father probably didn't either."

She winced. "I hope it doesn't come to blows like it did with Florene's father."

Her mother shook her head. "Doubtful, neither Florene nor her father particularly liked that suitor. You told us that you approved of him enough to accept his bracelet. Besides, there would be a chance that his bond animal would catch them and probably attack. No, it will be mostly words exchanged."

They brought a few plates of snacks back, and the three men were sitting just as we left them. I noticed that the three seemed more relaxed now. I hope they got their threats and posturing off of their backs. I remember some of the things my own father threatened to do with any boy I brought home.

Aeria bent over to place the plate on the low table. She was obviously not used to having something carefully balanced on her shoulder. With an internal sigh, I let myself fall from her shoulder before spreading my wings. She felt my weight slide and went to catch me, but I was faster than her and deftly evaded her hands with an aerial evasion as I flew over to Taureen's shoulder.

Aeria seemed a bit embarrassed at her slip. I was quite surprised as well, usually Kymari never make such mistakes or oversights. Her mind must have been entirely on something else to have forgotten about me like that. That was quite a rare event. I wonder who is more stressed about this meeting, Taureen or her?

Originally, I would have thought Taureen, but now I was pretty sure that Aeria was much more stressed. Her parents had tensed when I started to slide, but now relaxed as they saw the outcome. I commented to Taureen, "I think she is more nervous about this meeting than you were. She really wants her father to like you."

He petted my shoulder and wings as I nuzzled his chin. The two women took their seats, and talk ranged from various events in the city to boundary skirmishes in different star systems.

Eventually, the snacks disappeared, and the evening drew to a close. The family escorted Taureen to the door. Her father held out his hand, and Taureen shook it.

"I look forward to seeing you again, Taureen."

Taureen bowed his head slightly. "Thank you, sir."

He shook his head. "Call me Keith."

"Thank you, Keith."

I noticed Aeria's face light up in excitement. I didn't blame her, usually it took several meetings with the parents for the father to formally give the suitor permission to use his name on a casual basis.

Taureen was halfway home when I shared the memory of Aeria's smile at her father's words. He grinned at me. "That went very well. Thank you for your cooperation."

I warbled my amusement. "No problem. So, what did you three discuss while I was listening to the two ladies discussing desserts, shoulder pads, and her father's possible reactions?"

He replied, "I had expected it to be worse, but they seemed to be in favor of me from the beginning. I think they were also cautious of what they did in case you reacted badly."

I lounged on his shoulder and tilted my head as I asked, "Are bond animals that scary?"

He glanced at me in amusement. "Most are known to be highly protective of their handlers, and considering you sent two people to the hospital in under five minutes, it does give them second thoughts. A bond animal that tracks and attacks sicora would be expected to be quite protective."

I snorted faintly. "Possibly, but I think they are overreacting. Aeria and her mother are planning on making her some small shoulder pads that blend into her clothing. That will be a relief; I was nervous about my claws scratching her, and she isn't used to me on her shoulder yet."

He nodded. "I was worried for a moment when you slid off of her shoulder. Good reaction though."

"I halfway expected it, so it wasn't too bad."

Taureen was happy that the evening had gone so well. Apparently, my acceptance of Aeria was a big thing in their minds. Her father had approved of Taureen when he told Taureen to call him by his name. That meant that things were progressing very well.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.5K 389 25
Suddenly I turned around. And I shouted loudly. Mr. Devil is standing there staring at me and narrowing his eyebrows. What the hell he is doing. I'...
17K 402 31
This is the ending of the chapter ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• -I Will ask you some questions, can you answer them? *Nods* -Okay...
221 2 163
She's his unwilling captive-but can she resist this alien prince? Miranda Chase is thrilled to be part of the first expedition to meet newly-discove...
1.1K 51 26
!!! WARNING: THIS STORY CONTAINS VIOLENCE, GORE, NEEDLES !!! !!! THE FIRST BOOK IN THE POTS SERIES !!! !!! GETTING A REWRITE! THIS VER IS OUTDATED! I...