His Beast - A Newt Scamander...

By H_V_Hart

She was a wounded beast, ridiculed by Second Salemers. He was a simple passerby, just wanting to help. She ne... More

Thank You, Stranger
Wings
The Job Ain't Glamorous
The Niffler
Bandages
Erumpent
MACUSA
Useless?
Not While I'm Around
Immense Difficulty
Modest, Yet Beautiful
The Blind Pig
Gnarlack
That Can Get You Killed
A Vision of Danger
Called It!
Chaos
Credence
Grindelwald
Oh, Merlin
Worried
Healing
Someday
An Expert on Women
Stretch Your Wings
Cologne
The Wedding
Hand in Hand
Delivery
Read This

Obscurus

20.7K 520 23
By H_V_Hart

Jacob's POV

I woke up in the early hours of the morning to something black and fuzzy tickling my nose. At first I thought it was Tina and Quennie's cat or something, but if it was a cat I wouldn't be able to breathe 'cause I'm pretty allergic.

I pushed the dark thing from my face. It was very soft. For a moment I thought one of Newt's creatures was on my face and sprung up from the bed. I peered around the room but couldn't see much as it was still dark.

I looked over to where Jeanne was asleep on her side. The soft, dark, thing I had felt on my face was—

I threw my legs over the side of the bed and knocked hard as I could without disturbing Jeanne on the lid Newt's case that still lay in the center of the room.

After Newt did not answer from within the case, I flipped open the latches and wiggled my way down inside, the lid shutting behind me.

I found Newt face down at his desk, face stuck to papers, asleep. "Hey, hey!" I said, shaking him awake.

"Hmm? What?" he asked into his desk. "Jacob? W-what's the problem?" Newt shot up from his chair, pushing the hair from his face.

"Um . . ." I started. "How do I put this—" But my voice was cut off by a kind of icey cry. "Did you hear that?" I asked but Newt had gone. "For the love of . . ." I spotted a snowy landscape from behind a curtain.

Huh, we hadn't been in there during the tour of the case.

I moved into the snowy area. There was a small, oleaginous black mass suspended in midair.

Intrigued, I moved closer to this black mass. It continued to swirl and I reached out to touch it.

"Step back," said a voice.

I jumped. "Jeez . . ."

"Step back . . ." repeated Newt.

"What's the matter with this?" I asked.

"I said step away," Newt warned again.

"What the hell is this thing?"

"It's an Obscurus," Newt explained.

I looked at Newt who turned abruptly away and headed back the hut. His tone was colder, more efficient, no longer the happy Newt I had first met. What was his problem?

"I need to get going," Newt stated. "find everyone who's escaped before they get hurt."

"Before they could get hurt?" I said.

"Yes, Mr. Kowalski. See, they're currently in alien terrain, surrounded bu millions of the most vicious creatures on the planet: humans . . . So where would you say that a medium-sized creature that likes broad, open plains—trees—water holes—that kind of thing— where might she go?"

"In New York City?" I asked.

"Yes."

"Plains?" I shrugged. "Ah—Central Park?"

"Lead me there?" Newt asked.

"Well, look, I would come and show you, but don't you think it's kind of a double cross? The girls take us in—they made us hot cocoa . . ." I said, thinking back to Queenie.

"You do realize that when they see you've stopped sweating, they'll Obliviate you in a heartbeat?" Newt asked.

"What does 'Bliviate' mean?" I asked.

"It'll be like you wake up and all memory of magic is gone."

"I won't remember any of this?" I asked, worried. This world was so extraordinary.

"No," Newt said simply.

"Alright yeah—okay—I'll help you," I agreed.

Newt picked up a bucket. "Come on, then."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

70K 1.9K 23
The Second War is over. Harry dreams of his future with Ginny - then utterly rejects it. Haunted with trauma, convinced he is broken, he leaves every...
777 26 1
Hermione Granger/Castiel pairing A story between an angel and a witch, brought together for a task to help the Winchesters. "I mean, you appeared to...
93 5 13
(n.) the act of loving the one who loves you, a love returned full. ----- (Q.) How could a beast be loved by someone so kind and understanding? (A...
436 84 40
Stormy isn't the average girl. And not in the way you're thinking. But because she is different, she chooses to stay closed in. How could he break th...