An Expert on Women

Newt's POV

Three Months Later:
"Finally!" I shouted, springing from my chair. I threw down my quill and raced up and out of my case.

"Jeanne?" I called.

I climbed from the edge of the case and into the apartment. "Jeanne?" I called once more, stumbling to a stand.

"Yes, Newt?" Jeanne called back.

I raced to where her voice was coming from. Jeanne was in the kitchen making dinner.

"Problem?" she asked, turning around. "Do you need help with one of the creatures?"

"No," I said, panting from excitement. "I finished, Jeanne. I finished my manuscript."

Jeanne let out a little scream of joy and hugged me tightly. "Let's see, then!"

I grabbed her by the hand and we raced back through the apartment to the case. I opened the lid and popped down inside. I quickly grabbed the last bit of manuscript from my desk and climbed out of the case to where Jeanne stood excited.

"Here," I said handing it to her with a smile. She quickly read the last few creature editions and my closing statement. "So? What do you think?"

"Wonderful," Jeanne said. "You're absolutely wonderful," she said. Jeanne cupped my face, kissing me. I smiled against her lips.

"I'll write to the publisher!" I said, fumbling back down into the case.

~~~

One Month Later:
Jeanne and I stood in front of a familiar door, suitcases in hand. I knocked, excited.

The door opened and we were greeted with three smiling faces.

Queenie was nearly bouncing with excitement. She hugged Jeanne and I. Tina shuffled out the door around Queenie, hugging us also.

Queenie grabbed our bags, and Tina ushered us in. Jacob stood in the living room, grinning from ear to ear.

"I missed you guys," he said, shaking my hand and giving me a pat on the back. Jacob gave Jeanne a handshake which turned into a hug.

"You're looking well," said Queenie to Jeanne.

I remembered the last time we'd been in New York, Jeanne was in hospital for her broken rib cage.

Jeanne began to take off her coat that she was using to hide her wings from muggles. She stretched her wings with relief and brushed them off. "That's a lot better," she said to herself.

"Let's see the books, then!" said Queenie with excitement.

I pulled out a brown paper package I had been keeping in my blue coat pocket. "Fresh off the printer," I said, handing her the package.

Queenie stared at the small package.  "Oh, T, you just open it!" she giggled.

Tina took the package and opened it like a child on Christmas. Jacob and Queenie gathered round the stack of three small, green books that sat in the bottom of the paper.

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," Jacob read aloud

"Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them," Jacob read aloud. "Sounds interesting enough to me!" He grabbed a copy and flipped through it. "It's got moving pictures!"

I smiled at his muggle-wonder. I missed having him marvel at everything.

"Newt, would you sign this for me?" Jacob asked with a smile.

I was taken aback. I guess I could be famous at some point, other than the whole "most wanted" ordeal the last time I was in New York.

"Yeah, alright," I said finally. I pulled a quill and bit of ink from my coat pocket and signed a quick N. S. on the inside of Jacob's book then did the same for Tina and Queenie.

"I can't wait to read it," said Tina.

~~~

Later, we all had a lovely dinner that Tina and Queenie prepared. Jacob brought some desserts from his bakery for us to sample before he began selling.

Finally, it was time for bed

Finally, it was time for bed. The Goldsteins had pushed together the single twin beds for me and Jeanne to sleep on. I figured Jacob would be rooming with Queenie in her room and Tina would have her room to herself.

I climbed into bed, waiting for Jeanne to come back from using the restroom before turning off the lights. I felt the bed sink down beside me as her soft feathers tickled my face.

"Sorry," she laughed quietly. Jeanne settled in next to me, wrapping her wing across my body.

We hadn't really ever slept together like this; I often was up late writing or tending to creatures. But, this was nice, comfortable.

I rolled so I was facing her. "Jeanne?" I asked softly.

"Hmm?"

"I love you," I whispered.

She snuggled closer to me in more of a hug, wrapping her wing softly around my back. "I love you too."

It was silent for a few minutes, but neither of us had gone to sleep.

"Newt?" Jeanne asked into the darkness.

"Yes?"

"Do you ever think about children?" she said rather quickly, nervous about bringing up the topic.

"Sometimes," I said. "Marriage more often than that." Silence came from Jeanne. "I mean, do you want to have children?" I asked just as quickly as she did.

"I don't know . . ." Jeanne said quietly. "I mean, I don't even know if I can . . ."

"Why wouldn't you be able to?" I asked, confused.

"It's just some women can't . . . With my wings and all . . . Would the baby be okay?" she pondered.

"I think so," I said. "My beasts have had harder deliveries than most humans, I'd say." Jeanne gave me a look of skepticism. "Not that I'm an expert on women," I added quickly.

Jeanne laughed. I've always loved her laugh because it makes me laugh along with her.

I kissed her forehead

I kissed her forehead. "Goodnight, love." I said.

Jeanne stretched her wings. "Night," she said, pecking my cheek.