Faking It || l.r.h

Door Hemmocliffoodirwin

⚠️TW: Mention of abuse, self-harm, and suicidal thoughts. Read at your own risk.⚠️ - He needed someone to mak... Meer

1. The Break-up
2. Crush
3. Party
4. Later
5. Monday
6. Plan
7. Practice
8. Kissing Act
9. Try
10. Burn
11. Fake Date
12. Fight
13. Move On
14. Eye
15. Video
16. Bowling
17. Dinner
18. Mistake
19. Flirt
20. Tutor
21. Better
22. Forgive and Forget
23. Or Not
24. Mall
25. Trust Me
26. Movie
27. Amusement Park
28. Home
30. Over
31. Here We Go Again
32. Wishing We Could Start Again
33. Cookies
34. Eve
35. Christmas
36. Advice
37. Second Chances
38. Band
39. The Beach
40. Detention
41. Doubt
42. Confusion
43. Guilt
44. Truth
45. In Denial
46. Done
47. Independence Day
48. Midnight Memories
49. Netflix and Chill
50. Runaways
BONUS CHAPTER: The Reactions
The End + Thanks

29. Gift

8.3K 169 363
Door Hemmocliffoodirwin

*Luke's POV*

I checked the time to see it was a quarter to seven. There was little light outside and I knew I had to quickly get home before my family found out I was gone. Of course I wanted to lay here with Avery while she slept but I won't get to see her at all if I get in trouble again.

I carefully slipped my arm from under her and slowly rolled off the bed, careful not to wake her. She looks so perfect when she's soundly asleep. I slipped on my jacket and grabbed my shoes and put them on.

I went over to her desk and grabbed a pen and index card to quickly write out a note. I felt bad for having to leave like this but I had to get home and she needs her rest.

Avery,

I'm sorry I have to slip out like this, I didn't want to wake you. Since you can't text me, I'll talk to you either Monday or later today if you get your phone back. Don't let him get to you, stay strong.

Luke

I really wanted to sign it 'love, Luke' but I'm pretty sure that'd be wrong since we're only supposed to be friends. I went back over to her bed and laid it on the pillow I was laying on last night and leaned down and pressed my lips to her forehead.

I went over to her window and opened it so I could climb back out. I couldn't close it so I hope she doesn't mind. I climbed back down the tree and walked from the side of her house and down the street where I parked my car and headed home.

I got to my house a quarter past seven and quietly opened the front door and closed it behind me. I took off my shoes so I didn't make any noise as I walked up the wooden stairs to my room.

Once I went into my room, I closed the door and threw myself onto my bed and let out a breath of relief. For once it looked like I was gonna get away with something. But even if I did get caught, the risk was worth it. I got to spend the night with Avery. Being with her was the only thing on my mind, not what my parents would say if they found out I snuck out.

But now that her dad's home and I know what he does to her, I don't know how I'll be once I get around him again. All I can think about is how big of a coward he is for beating up on a teenage girl like that. After she explained what goes on, a lot of things add up. I can see why she's so distant and hard on herself, he's degraded her for years and caused her to have low self-esteem and hurt herself as a way to deal with the pain.

I sat up and paced my room. I can't think about it 'cause it makes me upset but I can't do anything about it and that upsets me even more. I've got to find a way to get my mind off it so I don't do anything that could mess up things between us.

I grabbed my phone from the bed and called Michael. Maybe he's up for hanging out, I could use the company. Avery would be my first choice but I can't call her and I don't want to have a run in with her dad.

"What the fuck is your problem, Hemmings? Do you think this shit is okay? This is why I despise you, you do stupid shit like this and you think it's fucking okay when you should know damn well it's not." He growled through the phone.

I checked the clock and face palmed myself. I forgot he doesn't like being woken up before ten and it's not even eight.

"I'm sorry, Mike, I just forgot." I said.

"I'm gonna regret asking this," he sighed, "but what's wrong?"

"Wanna hang out later?" I asked.

"Ash wanted me to help him pick out a birthday gift for Brooke. You can come along if you'd like." He suggested.

Hanging out with Ash? No way.

"Uh, no thanks. I'll just...never mind." I shook my head even though I knew he couldn't see me.

"Well okay then, mate. I'll see you tomorrow." He said.

"Yeah, tomorrow. Bye."

"Bye." And he hung up.

I threw my phone on my bed and ran my fingers through my hair. I almost forgot Brooke's birthday was tomorrow. If I want her to fall for me again, I should probably get her a gift, but what? I suck at picking out girl clothes and I can't get Avery to help me 'cause she's a prisoner in her own house, I could always get her her favorite perfume, but I want her gift to mean something. I don't want to just get her any of that cliché crap that has no real heart behind it. I want to give her something that shows how much I care without making it too obvious.

As I racked my brain for possible ideas, there was a knock at my door.

"Come in." I mumbled.

My door was opened to reveal Ben behind it.

"What do you want?" I asked.

"Mum told me to come ask you what you wanted for breakfast." He said.

"Blueberry pancakes are fine."

"What's got you all bummed?" He asked.

"I'm trying to figure out the perfect birthday gift but I don't know what to do." I said.

"Since you look so stressed, I'm guessing it's for a girl, Avery, more specifically." He grinned.

"Yeah." I nodded. I definitely wasn't trying to find the perfect gift to steal my ex-girlfriend away from my best friend.

"You could get her a new outfit or some perfume. Girls love shit like that." He said.

"I know but I want the gift to be more special than that. I want it to mean something." I said.

"You can never go wrong with jewelry." He shrugged.

He had a point. I still had her necklace and I could give her that and pair it with something that'll really have a positive impact on our budding relationship.

"You're right," I nodded, "thanks."

"No problem." He smiled and closed my door.

I went over to my nightstand and opened the top drawer and sure enough, the necklace was still where I left it. I took it out and examined it, smiling to myself as the memories of us and the time I gave her the necklace came flooding back.

It was our first Christmas together and I was already crazy about her at this time. She invited me to a Christmas party her parents were hosting and a lot of her family was there. I remember being super nervous and trying so hard to make sure that I and the gift were perfect. But all of those nerves went away after being with her and her family. She was smiling and showing me off to everyone. I waited until just before dinner, while we stood under the mistletoe, to give her the necklace. She smiled and told me how much she loved it and at that moment I couldn't have been happier. I made someone that I cared so much about incredibly happy and that's something I'll never forget.

This necklace was from a special time in our relationship and hopefully giving it to her will remind her of that.

-

"Morning, babe." I smiled as Avery got into the car.

"Hey." She breathed and strapped in.

"I'm sorry I had to leave like that yesterday. I couldn't afford getting in trouble again." I said as I pulled out of the driveway.

"It's no big deal, I understand." She nodded.

"Your dad didn't do anything, did he?" I asked. I don't know what I'd do if she said he did.

"He didn't, Luke, you don't have to worry about me." She chuckled slightly.

I can't help it. The thought of her getting hurt like that makes me sick.

"Just being a good friend." I chuckled and turned into the school. "So, uh, today is Brooke's birthday." I stated as I parked.

"Really? Well, what'd you get her?" She asked. "Well I'm assuming you got her something."

"This necklace." I took it out of the cup holder and held it up for her to see.

"Isn't that the one she threw at you when she dumped you?"

"You didn't have to say it so harshly, but yes. I thought that maybe giving it back to her would stir up some of the great memories we shared." I said.

"That's nice and all, but do you plan on doing anything else or just giving her back something you gave her a long time ago?" She asked.

"I planned on it but I wasn't sure what to pair it with. What should I do?"

"Well a poem or maybe a song would be nice but since you don't have that kind of time, maybe a speech. Nothing that'll drone on and on but something cute and reminiscent."

I nodded and got out of the car, putting the necklace in my pocket. "When should I give it to her?"

"Probably lunch. I can keep Ashton busy. I'm sure he wouldn't want to see you giving her something so special like that anyway." She said.

I took her hand as we walked inside. She had a point, I couldn't just give her the necklace itself and I couldn't do it in front of him.

She's really been a great help to me with all of this. She's easy to talk to, gives great advice, and a great all around person. The only problem is that I fell in love with her and I feel like I'm cheating on Brooke.

"Happy birthday, Brooke." Avery smiled, snapping me out of my trance. I didn't realize we were approaching the two of them.

"Yeah, happy birthday." I said.

"Thanks guys." She smiled and hugged us both.

I turned to Ash. "So what'd you get her?"

"Not that it's any of your business, but we're celebrating this weekend." He pulled her close and kissed her head.

I felt Avery give my hand a squeeze and I knew that was a sign to not be so pushy.

"We've got to get to her locker, we'll see you two later." I said.

"Bye." They said in unison as we walked away.

"Did you have to come off like that?" She asked once we reached her locker.

"I know, I wasn't thinking before I said it." I said.

"Obviously." She mumbled and opened her locker. "We don't have much longer so can you please keep it together?"

Why'd she suddenly become so annoyed?

"Are you okay? You seem upset." I said.

She slammed her locker. "I'm fine. I'll see you later." She stepped passed me and headed down the hall. I stood there and watched her for a few seconds before going down the hall to my own first period. Girls and their forever changing moods will always confuse me.

-

By the time lunch rolled around, I headed to the cafeteria to meet Brooke before she went to eat with Ashton.

I arrived and waited at the entrance, but instead I met Avery.

"Have you seen Brooke?" I asked.

"I didn't realize I was responsible for keeping up with her, but no, I haven't." She said.

What happened between this morning and just before class for her to have an attitude with me?

"There's Ash, I'll see you later." She said and went inside.

I watched her go in and stood by the doors until I heard my name.

"Hey, Luke." I turned around to see a smiling Brooke.

"Hey." I smiled.

"Aren't you going in?" She asked as she reached for the door.

"Actually," I stopped her hand, "I was waiting for you. Could you follow me?"

"Okay." She nodded.

Still gripping her hand, I lead her outside to a bench under the big tree in the courtyard. I sat and pat the spot next to me for her to sit.

"What are we doing out here?" She asked.

"I wanted to give you your birthday present." I reached into my pocket and pulled out the necklace, holding it up got her to get a better look.

"You've kept it after all this time?" She asked as she looked at it in awe.

"Of course. Here, let me put it on." She turned around and swept her hair to the side so I could put it around her neck. Once I clasped it, she turned around and smiled.

"Thanks, Luke. But why are you giving me this? I mean I love it but I threw it at you when I ended things."

"It was my gift to you and I wanted you to have it. Besides, there are many more great memories we've shared than bad."

"Yeah." She chuckled and looked away.

I took her hand in mine and she turned to look at me.

"And in addition to your present, how about we go to that diner I took you to for our first date?" I suggested.

"Are you sure this is...appropriate? What would Ashton and Avery think?" She asked.

"It'll be okay." I smiled. "This'll give us a chance to catch up a bit more and besides, I miss you."

"What do you mean you miss me? I just saw you Friday night." She chuckled.

"Not like that. I miss being around you and being the reason you smile and laugh." I took her hand in both of mine as she continued to look me in the eye. "I still feel that special connection we share, even after all this time."

She just stared at me, obviously at a loss for words. When she finally did open her mouth to say something, she was still speechless.

"I'll pick you up at seven." I brought her hand up to my lips and kissed her knuckles before getting up and walking off.

I feel that went well. She was speechless and obviously happy. If I'm correct, she wants to be with me as much as I want to be with her.

-

Avery had been giving me the cold shoulder all through chemistry. She was fine when talking to Ash and I don't think it's just because she likes him. I've been racking my brain all class trying to figure out what I could've possibly done or said to cause her to become so distant but nothing came to mind.

When class ended, she quickly packed her things and headed towards the door but I grabbed her before she got too far.

"Let go of me." She snapped.

"Why are you being so rude? What did I do to you? Was it something I said?" I asked. I really wanted to know because I hate seeing her upset.

"I'm fine, just take me home." She stated.

"If something's bothering you-"

She cut me off. "Just take me home." She repeated.

I closed my mouth and nodded. "Okay, let's go."

I grabbed my bag and followed her out of the room and out of the school building. We got into my car and made the short drive to her house in silence. Once we arrived, she got out and shut the door behind her without as much as a goodbye or see you later. Her distance saddened me but also made me angry. If I didn't do anything then why is she being so cold? I thought we were past all of this and could finally tell each other any and everything. If she wants to be that way then so be it. I'm not gonna make any efforts if she's not willing to.

I don't need to be thinking about her anyway, Brooke is the only one that should be on my mind. I'm taking her out and I need to get ready and make sure everything is perfect. Yeah it's just to some simple diner but it's the memory the place holds and that's what's important.

I arrived home and went straight to my room. I couldn't wait for tonight, I was excited. It'd just be the two of us and I know I can make this worth her while.

To keep myself busy before I had to start getting ready, I decided I might as well attempt to do some homework. I first pulled out my math folder and I did the workbook problems in no time. I then did some reading response questions for English that took a bit more time but I got it done too. Lucky for me I had no history homework but I gave the chemistry worksheet one look and decided not to try it at all. I suck at this stuff and the only person that can help me is Avery but she's mad at the world for some reason.

I didn't want to keep asking her what's wrong because the repetitiveness is annoying, I'm sure. She went from her cute, bubbly self to cold and distant and that bothers me more than it should. Maybe it's because I love her that I'm so concerned, but I don't want my concern to drive her away. I already know she doesn't share the same feelings and maybe that's what's driving her away, I'm being too nice. Maybe she's suspicious that I may like her more than a friend and she's trying to put space between us. I can't see that being the case, though. But I still don't want to take any chances. I don't want us to go back to hating each other for no reason. I've met the real Avery and I can't see myself being without her, even if it's just as friends.

To my surprise, my phone lit up with a few messages from Avery.

Avery: *New picture message!*

Avery: Here's the chemistry work, since I'm sure you had no idea what the hell to do anyway.

I smiled to myself and sent her a quick thank you after saving the pictures. I saw that she read it and didn't say anything else. Even when she's down she's thinking of others.

No. I can't be thinking of Avery when I should be thinking about Brooke and how the night could possibly go. The sooner I can get her out of my mind and forget whatever I feel towards her, the sooner I can focus solely on Brooke. As long as I remember that she doesn't feel the same, it'll be easy for me to move on.

I finished copying the work she sent me and put my stuff away. I didn't know what else to do and I still had three hours before I had to leave to get her, meaning I still had two hours to kill before I had to start getting ready.

I went across the room to connect my phone to the charger before heading downstairs. I laid across the couch and turned on the television and settled on the first thing that showed blood. I was surprisingly able to stay in my comfortable position until it was near six and I went back upstairs to get ready.

I took a shower and, while still in the bathroom, I brushed my teeth and dried my hair. That task took me longer than it should've. It was much easier when Avery dried it...

I can't keep thinking about her, it's not gonna do me any good. I will admit that we did a lot of couple-like things and I enjoyed every second of it but now it's time to focus. I can't constantly think about her when I get Brooke back, that'd defeat the purpose of trying to get her back in the first place if I'm hung up over someone I faked a relationship with.

After I finished up in the bathroom, I went to my room to get dressed. I struggled to get the skinny jeans up my legs, but once I did, I grabbed a shirt and pulled it over my head and went over to the mirror to fix my hair. I made sure everything was perfect before grabbing my phone and keys and heading downstairs.

"I'm heading out, mum!" I called before reaching the door.

"Hold it." She said. I paused and turned around, waiting for her to come into view. "Where are you going?" She asked.

"I'm taking Avery out, it's her birthday." I lied. I hated lying to her but she wouldn't let me go if I told her it was Brooke I'd be with.

"Oh, well in that case, tell her I said happy birthday and make sure you're home by eleven."

"Okay," I nodded, "bye." I opened and closed the door, jogging to my car and starting it up as soon as I was inside.

I pulled out and headed to Brooke's house, which was further away than Avery's. But I didn't mind the drive too much, it gave me time to think.

Everything would go smoothly as long as we avoid topics such as Ashton, Avery, and why I did the shit I did. As long as we keep things positive and don't make them awkward, it'll be a great night. Maybe after dinner, we can walk somewhere. I'd take her hand and she's swing them like she used to and it'll be just like old times. The goal is for her to realize how much better I am than Ash. Like I've said before, I don't hate him, I just don't like him with her. She was mine first and a few mistakes caused me to lose her but I'm better now and I can treat her like I should've.

After a bit more driving, I finally pulled up to her house. It's been so long since I've been here.

I got out of my car and walked up to the front door, ringing the doorbell. I stood there nervously waiting for her to answer.

Finally the door opened and a smile spread across my face.

"Hey, Luke." She smiled.

"Hey." I smiled. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks." She blushed. She really did look stunning in her navy blue sundress.

"Are you-" I was cut off by her annoying younger twin brothers.

"Aw, look at Brooke and Luke." Hayden cooed. "I thought you dumped him."

"Yeah, I though you left him crying at school." Aiden added.

"I didn't say that." She said to me and then looked at them. "Go away you little twerps."

"Brooke and Luke sitting in a tree." Aiden sang.

"K-i-s-s-i-n-g." Hayden finished.

"Hayden and Aiden, shouldn't you two be at the dinner table?" Her mum came up behind her and made her displeasure at my presence very obvious. "Oh, well hello, Luke."

"Hello." I said lamely. I wish we had left a long time ago.

"I didn't realize the two of you were back together. What happened to that Ashton boy?" She asked.

"We're not back together." We said in unison.

I cleared my throat. "I'm just taking her out for her birthday dinner."

She gave me a small nod and took her sons back into the house and Brooke closed the door.

"I'm sorry about all of that." She said.

"It was nice to see them again." I joked.

We walked to my car and I opened the passenger side door for her and went around to my side once she was good and situated. I strapped in and started up my car to pull out and head down the street.

"I hadn't been to that diner since you and I, you know." She stated.

"Me neither. It wouldn't have been the same without you." I smiled.

I could see her blush and she looked out the window. We fell silent for a while but it wasn't an awkward silence, it was a comfortable one and I didn't mind.

The diner was closer to her place than mine and I turned off the car and got out after parking. We walked in alongside each other and took our old booth in the corner.

"It's still as great as I remember it." She smiled as she looked around.

I nodded and smiled because of her cuteness. This wasn't much at all but her excitement made it everything.

It wasn't a long wait before a waitress came to take our drink orders. After jotting them down on her little notepad, she walked off and we picked up the menus to decide on something to eat. We talked as we looked through and when she came back, I ordered for the both of us and she took our menus and disappeared again.

"Thanks for inviting me out, Luke. I wasn't sure how I could handle being here again with you but it's nice." She said.

"No problem, it's your birthday and I wanted you to have fun. After here I was thinking we'd go to that park and rent some skates." I said.

"I'd like that." She smiled, nodding.

This night was going better than I thought. Of course it got off to a awkward start with her mum and brothers but we're talking and laughing as if nothing's changed. This is how I wanted things to be between us. And since I know she still has feelings for me, all I need to do is make those grow stronger and then she'll leave Ashton for sure.

After a while we received our food.

She picked up her burger and took a bite, slowly chewing it as if savoring the flavor.

"Oh my God. I forgot how great the food here was." She chuckled, covering her full mouth.

"It sure is." I chuckled, wiping my mouth. I smiled at her and she giggled.

"What?" She asked.

"Nothing, I'm just admiring how cute you are."

She blushed and looked down at her food. "Luke, look; while I do appreciate the kind words and gestures, you've got to know your limit. We're both in relationships and some of your actions are borderline boyfriend like."

"I'm just being a good friend." I said. It's not like Ashton's not doing even more with Avery.

After finishing our meal, I called the waitress over so we could get our milkshakes. She took our empty plates and brought them out; me a chocolate milkshake and Brooke a strawberry one. We thanked her and she walked off.

"This is better than I remember it." She said as she licked some of the whipped cream off the top.

I sipped mine and nodded. I let her do most of the talking, mainly because I loved hearing her talk. She can talk about anything and her face lights up and she speaks with so much passion and I like that a lot about her. She lights up my world like nobody else, well except maybe for Avery but her and I aren't meant to be.

I know I'm in love with her and all but I can't let that get in the way of getting Brooke back. I've cared about her the longest yet I still can't seem to sort out my feelings. I haven't ever asked myself if I'm in love with Brooke. I love Avery and we've only been together for about a month and it's not even real. I have something with Brooke and have for a while but I don't know if I love her or not. But why wouldn't I? She's the first girl I've ever connected with, we have so much fun together, and she makes me so happy.

After finishing our dessert, I paid the check and left a tip on the table. We slid out of the booth and headed out the door and to my car. Once we were in, I pulled out of the parking spot and drove to the park where we had our first picnic together.

We got out and walked through the gate, the rental place not being far off. I paid the guy and we handed him our shoes and sat on the bench right next to his shack to put on our skates.

"C'mon you lanky noddle." Brooke chuckled as she stood up and reached out for me.

I laughed and took her hand as I stood up. Hand in hand we skated along the trail and she recorded a few funny videos with the dog filter as we did so. For someone that didn't want us to act like a couple, she sure hasn't let go of my hand this entire time. But I didn't want her to, our intertwined fingers fit so perfectly together.

She's got to know that we're meant to be together. Even before we broke up and I continuously cheated on her, she gave me chance after chance because she cares for me. She wouldn't have done that if she didn't see us possibly having a future. But I can't think that far ahead, I'm pretty young but I can't say I see myself with any other girl when the time is right.

After spending nearly an hour at the park, we turned in our skates to collect our shoes so I could take her home. I didn't want to bring her home too late 'cause it obvious her mum doesn't like me. Never had and probably never will.

"This night has been a lot of fun. Thanks for bringing me out, Luke." She smiled as I drove.

"Well I wanted you to have a good birthday." I smiled. "You deserve it."

She hummed along to the radio and when we finally arrived to her house, I turned off my car and walked her to her door.

"Like I said, tonight was a lot of fun." She smiled.

"It sure was." I nodded. We stared into each other's eyes for a while and I took a chance and leaned in slightly. She did the same and everything was going great before she turned her head to the side.

"I can't do that to Ash." She shook her head. "And you can't do it to Avery. I don't want you doing something you'll feel guilty about later."

"I understand." I said, still close to her. "You're my best friend's girl and all." I nodded and turned to leave. "No." I turned back around. "No, you know what?" I walked back to her. "If I'm gonna feel guilty about something, I'm gonna feel guilty about this." I held her face as I crashed her lips into mine.

I haven't felt her warm, soft lips in so long and now that they were on mine, I felt like I was in heaven. She had her hands on my sides and pulled me closer. After a while, I broke away and she looked at me with surprise evident on her face.

"Goodnight." I simply stated and walked back to my car and headed home.

I couldn't help but smile the entire drive home. Tonight was amazing and I couldn't have been happier.

*AN: This is the longest chapter I've ever written but man was it good, well at least I liked it.

If you can guess what show that line (the kissing scene) was from I will love you forever because I love that show so much.

AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL. Hopefully 2017 is nothing like 2016 'cause I could barely deal.

I hope you're enjoying this (which is all I apparently ever say) and I'll see you later ;-)

~Cam

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

371K 10.5K 35
In which a popular boy who cares too much about his reputation meets a girl who hates attention.
771 38 19
My whole life I've been waiting for someone to love me and care about me as much as I cared and loved everyone else. I never thought it was possible...
1.7M 29.6K 44
"You're gonna be a good girl, right baby?" "uh huh.." "What was that?" "Yes sir.." "Good girl... Now suck." - Warning - Mature content, read at your...
1.1M 13.5K 199
A series of 5sos preferences. Request are open updating at least 3 times a week. Vote, comment, and follow PLEASE. Most will be from tumblr ill let y...