Upon Wings Of Change

By CrystalScherer

No one ever said what would happen when dragons and aliens meet. And no one told me that I would be in the mi... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Epilogue
Bonus chapter! First encounter with an Elder
Author's Note
Donated Covers & Artwork

Chapter 36

38.1K 2.6K 220
By CrystalScherer

I was halfway asleep and my outstretched wings touched both Amanda's and Drake's wings as we sunned ourselves.

"Serena! Are you alright?!" We all looked in the direction of the panicked mindvoice.

"It hurts..." Serena's stunned mindvoice was laden with pain and shock. I folded my wings as I sat up in concern.

We heard the ex-spy call out, "Tom, Serena, what happened?"

Tom was panicking. "A big tree just fell down as we were sleeping. She couldn't get out of the way in time, and it fell on her. It is huge, and I can't see her! I am trying to dig, but the tree roots are slowing me."

The ex-spy replied, "I am on my way."

I glanced at Drake in slight frustration. "Unless she needs medical attention or wants Kymari help, it is best if I stay here." I wanted to go help dig so badly, but the chances of Taureen following me if I went further into the forest were simply too great. It grated on my nerves to remain here.

Drake nodded and took off with the others. I listened to them via the general mindlink in suspense. They weren't too far away, but far enough that I hadn't heard the tree fall.

"Serena, keep talking to us while we dig you out. What hurts?"

"My side really hurts. I may have broken some ribs since it hurts to breathe."

"I am getting tons of big roots in this spot. Is anyone else having better luck?"

"Serena, how tightly are you trapped? Can you move at all?"

"I can move my wings a bit, but my chest and sides are pinned by the branches. The one is pushing on my chest." Her voice was faint, and we could tell that she was trying to keep the pain out of the mindlink and failing.

Tom's voice was full of worry as he kept talking to her."Stay awake Serena. Don't leave me."

The ex-spy spoke, "Serena, do you have any idea how bad your injuries might be? Will you be able to fly?"

"I don't know how bad the damage is... I won't be able to fly though, my chest and side hurt too badly."

He sighed heavily across the mindlink. "You realize that if the Kymari see you, that they will likely take you away right?"

I felt her sigh in sadness, and her voice was getting fainter as time went by. "Yes. But I don't think I could stand being separated from Tom."

Mates tended to become quite dedicated to each other and were rarely apart. I felt Tom's worry and desperation as he told her, "I don't care if I have to be a Kymari pet in order to be with you. I will stay by your side regardless."

I felt her love for her mate flow into the link. She hesitantly asked, "Tasha, would the Kymari separate us?"

"No. Unless you two tried to kill one another or something similar."

After a long pause, she asked, "Tom, were you serious?"

His voice was firm. "Yes, I will never leave you."

Those who were mates were truly devoted to one another, and I couldn't remember seeing these two apart at any point in the last four years. The conversation was heartbreaking to listen to, as Tom declared his love once more when I knew that both were about to end up in Kymari care.

She whimpered in pain. "Then you better get the Kymari because I am coughing up blood."

I launched into the air and flew towards where Serena was trapped as fast as my wings would carry me. I told them, "I have a tracker, and they will likely follow me. Can someone else go check to see if they are coming or if I have to go drag them back here?"

Drake volunteered, "I'll go."

I was worried for Serena. If she was coughing up blood, a rib must have punctured her lung - and the branch was still pushing down on her. If the tree settled further, it could cause more damage. I entered the clearing and blinked in surprise. The tree was big, even if I wrapped myself around the tree my nose would have been unable to touch the tip of my long tail.

Almost two dozen dragonets were trying to dig Serena out, but the trunk had fallen beside another tree and the ground was full of large roots. They were slowly shredding the roots, but even if we got her out, it wouldn't help her if her injuries were as bad as we feared.

Drake was worried. "Tasha, all four are still sitting where we left them. Taureen is watching the device on his wrist closely, but that is it."

With a hiss of frustration, I aborted my landing and sped off towards the benches. "Coming. Wait for me, it may take two of us to get them to follow us." Of all times for him to not follow me around like a paranoid parent...

I bolted into the clearing as they looked up in surprise. I banked sharply around the bench Taureen was sitting on before screeching in an urgent tone and heading back the way I came. He wasted no time in following me; his three friends swiftly joined him. I had never made such a noise before, and they might think that I was leading them to another sicora. Either way, they were following us.

Drake joined my flight as we sped back towards the trapped scarlet dragonet. I glanced over my shoulder to see the Kymari quickly gaining on us. I was surprised by their speed and commented to Drake, "I knew they were fast, but I didn't realize how quickly they could cover ground if they chose. They are catching up, and we are flying at a good clip."

I called ahead, "Start making a bit of fuss and dig. You can scatter the second we enter the clearing."

It wasn't long before we heard distressed noises of dragonets. We entered the clearing to see many of them tearing at small roots while attempting to dig around a certain section of the tree trunk. Most scattered into the nearby trees the moment that the Kymari came into view. I landed in front of where Serena was trapped and clawed fiercely at the frayed roots before glancing back at the Kymari.

Taureen was keeping an eye on the surrounding dragonets as he watched for aggressive or defensive behavior while he slowly approached. They were watching him closely, and some were chittering anxiously, but none dive-bombed the Kymari.

He glanced behind him. "Tkael, Soranto, lift the tree. Alec, see how close they will let you come. I might need your assistance."

Alec nodded as he looked around the clearing. "This tree hasn't been down for long. I will put a call in for a shuttle just in case."

Taureen slowly approached, keeping his body language passive. All of the dragonets, except for Drake, Tom, and me, had scattered into the trees to watch in worry. I was kind of surprised that Drake remained so close, although Tom was desperately trying to get to his injured mate and barely noticed the approaching Kymari.

Drake took to the air and landed in a nearby tree as Taureen got closer. The tree groaned as Tkael and Soranto lifted it. With a cry of anguish, Tom darted under the tree.

I heard Serena's faint sigh of relief amongst her pain. "The worst of the pain is gone..." Her voice was much fainter now. She was not in good condition.

Taureen kneeled down by the tree to look before carefully reaching under the trunk to lift Serena out. I heard her whimpers as he brought her out from under the tree. My heart sank at the sight of the red bubbles frothing out at the side of her mouth with each breath.

Tom was leaning on Taureen's knees while nuzzling Serena's head in worry. His concern for his mate overshadowed his fear of the Kymari. I glanced up as a shuttle slowly descended through the trees. Some of the dragonets fled the scene, relying on others to send mental images over the mindlink to keep them appraised of what was going on.

Taureen remained where he was, kneeling with Serena in his hands. Alec went forward even before the shuttle had really landed and came back with a flat board as several other Kymari came out of the shuttle. One was the vet who I had been to previously.

She nodded to Taureen. "Put him on that board."

Taureen carefully placed Serena on the board that Alec held. The vet knelt beside Alec and held some sort of scanner over Serena as she read out the results. "Several broken ribs, possibly a fractured shoulder, but some bone shards have pierced the right lung. She is a female, by the way, you will want to note that in the records. We need to get her into surgery now."

Alec stood up with the stretcher board. Serena whimpered and whispered, "I'm scared."

Tom picked up her distress and jumped into the air, hissing fiercely. I launched off of Taureen's shoulder to tackle him mid-air. He side-slipped from the blow, trying to regain his balance and stop his fall.

I banked as I circled the group while shouting into Tom's mind, "Anything you do to stop or harm them delays Serena from getting the help she needs. Do you want her to die?"

I hated to use that word with him, but it was the harsh truth. The last time I had seen blood frothing from the mouth of a dragonet, the dragonet had been pounced on by a fox. His flame had scared the fox away, but the initial strike had clearly broken his ribs. Despite our best efforts, he had died within hours.

Tom undoubtedly remembered that terrible day too. With a whimper of anguish, he landed on the fallen tree and clawed at the bark with his agitation and inability to do anything to help. He fanned his wings helplessly as he stared at his injured mate, who lay in the hands of the Kymari.

I looked at Serena and spoke across the mindlink, "The painkillers they use will prevent mindspeech. So keep in mind that even if we are right beside you, you will not be able to hear or talk to us with mindspeech."

I angled my flight to land on Taureen's shoulder pad, and as soon as I landed, Taureen held up a hand and looped a finger through my harness to prevent me from possibly fighting with Tom. His precaution was unneeded though; my previous surprise tackle had jarred Tom out of attack mode.

Alec quickly went into the shuttle with the vet. Taureen began following them as I glanced back at Tom, who was still standing uncertainly on the log. I told him, "If you plan on hitching a ride, you had better act fast."

He launched off of the log with impressive speed and ducked inside of the door before Taureen even got into the shuttle. He circled the small area chittering in fright and agitation, completely out of his comfort zone. I sighed internally. "Land on the back of one of the couches before you cause trouble. By the way, be forewarned, your next few days are not going to be the easiest. This is going to be a huge change."

He landed uneasily on the back of an empty seat in a corner. Alec put the stretcher on a table, and the vet put a glass dome over Serena before pumping some sort of colored air into it. Alec backed up to give the vet room to stabilize her while we were traveling to the clinic.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

389K 18.7K 36
Hidden deep in the California valley is the Aves Department for the infamous C.R.O.S.S. Laboratories. Offered an internship this esteemed genetic res...
1.2M 4.2K 8
The aliens came here for one thing, and one thing only.... Females. ( This story is only available through inkitt or galatea!!!) (some read events ma...
2.8K 371 49
UPDATES THURSDAYS Desperate people will do desperate things to survive. Wealth, privilege, and power don't always lead to happiness. Money can't buy...
5.4K 160 5
TW โ€ข Contains of Abuse, Torture, Abduction, Trauma, Blood, Bruising, Gaslighting, Manipulation, Possessive, Sadism, Bondage, Unethical human experime...