An English Rose

By thequietwriter

Four years after the burning of the Opera Populaire, a young English woman pursues the mystery surrounding th... More

An English Rose
Four Years Later
Christine's Tale
Beneath the Opera House
Pip
The Phantom
Through the Corridors
A New Protege
Katherine's Father
Masquerade
Meetings
A New Song
Choices
Epilogue

The Truth

2.7K 143 16
By thequietwriter

After that first uneasy lesson, the following days settled into a routine for all three. At exactly ten in the morning, Katherine would bring the nine year old out of hiding from her family's stable, escort him to the Opera Populaire, and then lead the way down into the lower areas of the Phantom's domain. Erik was always waiting, and the lesson would begin immediately.

Entirely caught up with music, master and student would soon forget the young lady's presence as they worked. Around one o'clock, it would take all of Katherine's ingenuity to find a way to get their attention for a meal, which she always brought. Pip devoured everything set before him, though the Phantom was much reserved. Whatever was left over, Katherine discreetly left for Erik to find once they had gone.

He never mentioned it or thanked her, but it was always gone when they came the next day.

As they ate, Katherine made the decision to learn more and began to ask about the opera house as it used to be. The first week their conversations turned to the different operas and styles they enjoyed and stretched for nearly an hour at a time.

"How is it that you came to live in the opera house?" Katherine asked cautiously one day in the second week.

Freezing, Erik stared into the distance. "Madame Giry brought me here after I murdered the gypsy who kept me locked in a cage," he answered in a low voice. He spun around, his eyes glittering with an indescribable emotion behind his mask. "You are shocked, are you not, mademoiselle? I was a boy, but I killed for my freedom!"

He turned away sharply.

Stranger than you dreamt it -

Can you even dare to look

Or bear to think of me:

This loathsome gargoyle,

Who burns in hell,

But secretly

Yearns for heaven,

Secretly . . .

Secretly . . .

His manner challenging, he turned back around. Steadily, Katherine gazed at him, shaking her head. "No, I am not shocked," she answered, choosing her words carefully. "I am very sorry for the childhood you must have had. So you grew up listening to the opera's music? Is that why you have such talent for it?"

Her acceptance seemed to take him aback for a moment. "Music was the only thing that kept me going when I was caged like an animal," he finally responded in a bitter tone. He looked over to where Pip was patting Caesar, the horse. "I was younger than Pip when I realized I had a talent like no one else, but I did not have anyone to shape my skill."

"Would you like to read the newspaper?" Katherine asked abruptly, deciding the conversation could do with a change to a lighter topic. "I should have asked earlier. You must not hear of the outside world very much."

"I do not, but the outside world does not affect me," Erik answered dismissively.

With a frown on her face, Katherine considered him thoughtfully. "What about books, then?" she asked. "I and my friends love to read. I would be happy to bring you some volumes from my library. You can't have much to read down here, and I can't imagine any of the performers having a vast library."

"You are determined to put me in your debt, aren't you?" Erik asked wryly. Patiently, Katherine waited. After a moment, he nodded. "I would like that."

Katherine smiled in delight. "Then, we will have something more than opera to talk about."

~*~

At the beginning of the third week, Pip turned around the moment he was out of the carriage. "You don't have to come with me today," he said abruptly. Katherine looked at him in surprise as she stepped to the ground. "I can go by myself."

"Pip, that's wonderful!" the young lady exclaimed, hiding the dismay she felt. She handed him the basket of food and then squeezed his shoulder. "I'm proud of you. Have a good lesson and I will be here at three o'clock to pick you up, alright?"

Nodding, the boy raced up the steps. Katherine stared at the entrance of the opera house long after the boy vanished from sight. "Where to, Miss?" Greaves asked, finally drawing her attention.

Reluctantly, she turned her back on the opera house. "Take me to the D'Arcy's," she ordered, thinking quickly.

~*~

"Katherine, you are looking unusually pleased with yourself," Michaela D'Arcy commented, suspiciously. She stared across the room at her friend. "I am going to assume it has something to do with where you have been hiding yourself these past few weeks."

Sitting in the D'Arcy drawing room, Katherine smiled as she sipped her tea. "Perhaps."

"So?" Jane prompted curiously. She set her cup of tea down on a table. Katherine just smiled up at her. "Are you going to tell us what you have been up to, or are you just going to sit there with that smug smile? You cannot expect us to guess what-" Her blue eyes lit up as she broke off. "You've found out where your father is!"

Immediately, Katherine's smile faded and she shook her head. "No," she answered, her tone sad. "I know your father is looking into it, and there is nothing else I can do. Though I wish that were the case."

The cousins exchanged concerned looks. "Well, you are not going to change the subject that easily, Katherine" Michaela declared impatiently. "Tell us what you have been doing."

Glancing between the two other ladies, Katherine smiled again. "Well, as I told you before, Pip came back three weeks ago," she said slowly, putting her cup of tea down. "What I didn't tell you is that I found someone to tutor him. He is finally comfortable enough with his tutor for me to leave him alone, which is why I came to visit you today. I could not stand to have to go home and keep Carlotta company."

"Why do I have the feeling we are not going to like the details you are not telling us about this tutor?" Jane asked cautiously. Katherine shrugged her shoulders. Horror crossed Jane's face. "Katherine, please tell me you haven't done what I think you've done! Who is the tutor?"

"I arranged for the phantom of the opera to tutor Pip," Katherine answered simply.

They both stared at her. "Let me get this straight," Michaela said slowly with a growing frown. "You refused to take me to see the secret passages beneath the opera house, but you took a stable boy? Katherine, that is so not fair! I told you I want to see all of that."

Fondly, Katherine smiled at her now glaring friend. "In time, Michaela," she promised. "I'm sure I can arrange to take you there."

"Hold on a moment," Jane protested, raising both hands. "Are you both out of your minds? Katherine, that man is a murderer! You heard it straight from Christine de Chagny. I can't believe you went back there! And Michaela! How can you want to go down where a murderer lives?"

Michaela shrugged in response. "Jane, calm down. I honestly intended to go back down there," Katherine admitted defensively. She set her tea cup aside and entwined her fingers together. "I was going to let him be. Goodness knows he deserves it after everything that has happened to him. But then, he saved my life."

"Katherine!" her friends exclaimed in unison. Michaela leaned forward and demanded, "When did this happen? How did it happen? Why didn't you tell us before?"

"It was that evening I left the due Larc's ball early," Katherine explained, her expression becoming serious. She shook her head at the memory. "Ever the gentlemen, Arden offered me the use of his carriage. Well, the wheel broke and the driver went off, supposedly to get help. I was left alone on that deserted street."

Her listeners gasped. "While I was standing there, three thugs came after me," Katherine continued, shuddering as she remembered. "I ran to the Opera Populaire, since I thought I would be able to hide from them there, but they caught me. The Phantom scared them off and then escorted me to a more traveled street."

Wide-eyed, Michaela was on the edge of her seat. "I was taking him some food as a thank you," Katherine told them. "Pip showed up then, and that's when I was hit by a brilliant, yet simple idea. Pip needed a music instructor, and the Phantom could use a student. It's worked out much better than I expected, I must say."

"Katherine, that still doesn't excuse the fact that he is a criminal," Jane said firmly.

"That may be, but he has done nothing to harm either me or Pip," Katherine answered softly. Her face was set stubbornly. "He has had plenty of opportunities to do so. In fact, I would trust him much more than any other man, like Arden."

"Well, that's because Arden is a creep," Michaela said matter-of-factly. "He's still trying to get your attention?"

Katherine smirked. "Trying, and probably thinks he's succeeding since I don't have anyone else seeking my attention," she said. She turned back to the blond young lady. "Jane, please don't make the mistake of misjudging Erik. You don't know him as I have come to. Really, he and I have had several interesting conversations together." She paused, seeing the strange looks on her friends' faces. "What's wrong?"

Frowning, Jane shook her head. "You just called him Erik," she pointed out. "Why?"

Embarrassed, Katherine blushed. "Well, because it's his name," she explained. Jane raised her eyebrows and Michaela cocked her head. "It just seemed awkward to always call him 'the phantom of the opera' when he has a perfectly good name."

"Katherine, please don't take this the wrong way, but I have the feeling you are attaching yourself to this man," Michaela said slowly. A grin spread across her face. "You like him!"

"Maybe I do, but it's not like that!" Katherine protested. Her voice lowered. "Anyways, he's still in love with Christine de Chagny and I cannot even begin to compare with her. Can we please talk about something else?"

Shaking her head, Jane picked up the tea pot. "Absolutely," she suggested as she refilled her own cup. "Pierre and Carlotta's masquerade is coming up in a week, so we must come up with our costumes."

Michaela's grin deepened mischievously. "Oh, don't worry, Jane. I already have ideas for us all."

~*~

Later that day, outside the Opera Populaire, Katherine held open the carriage door and Pip climbed in. The door closed firmly and the carriage set into motion. "How was your lesson today?" Katherine asked as the carriage set off.

"Good," Pip answered, smiling at the young lady. "He says I'm improving."

"Oh, that's wonderful, Pip!" Katherine praised, forcing down the wish that she had been their to hear it herself. "I can't wait to hear you once you are fully trained."

The nine year old frowned. "You will still come and listen now and then, right, Miss?" he asked hopefully. He looked at her with wide eyes. "It's more fun when you're there to tease us and make sure we take time to eat."

Touched, Katherine nodded. "Eventually, I will come back," she told him. "But I think it would be best if you got used to working with your tutor alone, alright?" She smiled as she asked, "Did you forget to eat lunch?"

Pouting, Pip nodded in answer to both questions. As they talked, they never noticed the pair of men that were following them in a small phaeton. "You see?" Arden asked, looking over at his passenger. "I have tried to follow them, but they always disappear when they are in there."

"Yes," Pierre Everson responded, his eyes narrowed. "Tomorrow, then."

~*~

The following day was sunny, and Katherine chose to walk with Pip to the opera house instead of calling for conveyance. "Have a good day, Pip" she called after the boy as he ran up the steps. "I'll be here at the same time as yesterday."

Turning, Pip waved briefly, before he vanished from sight. Katherine took a moment to reexamine the condition of the opera house. "I do wish the workers would come back," she commented with a sigh. "As it is, I don't think this place will ever be restored."

"Good riddance, I say!" Anne said vehemently. Surprised, her young mistress looked at her. "You spend most of your time here as it is, miss. You would never leave if it was fixed."

Amused, Katherine smiled and shook her head. "That is true," she answered with a light laugh.

"Miss Hemway," a voice from behind made both women jump. Spinning around, Katherine was met by the tall, cold Arden bowing. "Why am I not surprised to find you here?"

Suspicious, Katherine took a step back. "Monsieur Arden," she responded. In agreement with her mistress' dislike, Anne glared at the man. "Our paths seem to cross all over Paris and this is the most unlikely place. What are you doing here?"

"As always, looking for you," the man replied, his eyes scanning her. "Miss Hemway, I feel I must warn you. Do you realize the danger to your reputation you are risking by continually coming here? People may begin to suspect that you are...mad."

Taken aback, Katherine frowned. "Mad?" she repeated. "What have I to be angry about?"

"I mean, insane. Something that is a family trait it would seem," Arden interrupted. "Or so people will claim."

Katherine shook her head, trying to work out what he was getting at. "What are you talking about, Monsieur? Why would people believe me to be insane? How would it be interpreted as a family trait?"

"Because of your father's condition, of course," Arden answered simply. Startled, the young lady stared at him. "He was very much obsessed with the Opera Populaire. Its destruction and the lack of progress in restoring it drove him to madness. Clearly, by your returning to this place over and over again, proves that you have inherited his regrettable obsession."

Again, Katherine shook her head. "I don't understand you," she said. "My father is not mad, or obsessed."

"Of course you do not believe me. I never expected you to," Arden responded calmly. "But, Monsieur Hemway was committed to an institution not more than eight months ago."

"You lie!" Katherine hissed. "How dare you say such things about my father?"

Arden shrugged. "Ask your brother. He will tell you the exact same thing."

~*~

"Pierre!" Katherine shouted, racing past the butler who had opened the door for her into the foyer. Leaving Anne behind to share the story breathlessly, Katherine ran up the steps and burst into the library. "You will tell me the truth! Arden says Papa went mad and you had him taken to an institution! Tell me that this is not true!"

Calmly, Pierre Everson put away his papers and leaned against his desk. "My dear sister, I cannot deny the truth," he said. "Your father's condition was revealed by a very reliable physician. Action had to be taken before any harm could be done to himself or anyone else. He is being looked after by the very best of specialists."

Trembling, Katherine sank into a chair. "No," she breathed. "No, it can't be."

"You see now why I was so concerned when you took such an unusual interest in that stable boy?" Pierre asked, rising from his chair. He walked around to stand over his sister. "You disobeyed me and have been hiding him in the stable, haven't you?"

Startled, Katherine looked up at him. "Did you think I wouldn't find out?" Pierre continued with a smirk on his face. "The doctor said the madness may be passed onto any children your father may have, so naturally I have had to make sure you were watched at all times, Katherine, and I have to say I am concerned about you."

"There is nothing wrong with wanting to help someone!" Katherine snapped, her fury breaking through the shock.

"True," Pierre conceded, triumph still in his voice. "But, coupled with your strange fascination with the ruins of the Opera Populaire, it doesn't look very good, does it, Katherine? Fortunately, we have managed to keep your father's condition secret so no one suspects you, yet."

"Why didn't you tell me this before?" Katherine demanded. She frowned. "What do you mean 'we'?"

Pierre nodded. "Arden has been most helpful in this matter," he explained nonchalantly. "And of course Carlotta and Mother know of the situation. I could hardly conceal it from them." His sister's eyes narrowed. "You weren't told because we knew you would take it badly. Now, calm yourself and relax. Trust that we will look out for your best interests."

Katherine stood up, forcing him back a step. "Why would I need you to 'look out' for me?" she demanded, her voice vibrating with emotion.

"Well, it wouldn't look good if you were to have to disappear as well," Pierre told her. "Everyone would find out about your family...weakness. There would be no way to hide it. So, I will handle the matter of that stable boy of yours and we will say no more about it."

Frowning, Katherine shook her head slowly. "I don't believe you," she said. "This si just a horrible prank you are playing. If you know where my father is, take me to him. Now."

"Katherine, in your state of mind, I hardly think that is a good idea," Pierre advised.

The young lady's eyes started to gleam with fury. "You will take me to my father, Pierre," she said calmly, her tone cold. "Or so help me, I will find a way to go to him myself, no matter what happens to the family reputation!"

Sighing, Pierre nodded. "I will send for the carriage."  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.5K 2.3K 16
Emilie Castille has always been intrigued by stories of the infamous Opera Ghost. When her father tells her that auditions are going to be held at t...
26.9K 974 34
Sequel to "Erik my Angel" and "Christine my Flower". What how Erik and Christine live out their lives. How they react to the Opera Populaire being re...
60.3K 1.2K 36
What if the Phantom of the Opera had a childhood friend? Would he become the crazy person we've come to know and love? Would he fall in love with thi...
349K 9.6K 47
An unwilling dancer enrols into the Opera Populaire troop. But things get a little complicated with her on off run-ins with the famous Opera Ghost.